Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

meltie posted:

I don't wash my car when it's misbehaved.

Doctor Zero posted:

You have the cause and effect reversed. Clean cars run better. You're just getting it stuck in a vicious cycle.

jammyozzy posted:

You're doing that the wrong way around, clean it and it'll run better, neglect it and it'll break just to spite you. As soon as I washed my car it stopped pissing coolant and oil, then a bird shat on it, I haven't bothered cleaning it and it's started being difficult again.

meltie posted:

Woah, weird. One response and i'd laugh it off. Two and I guess it must be serious. I guess carrots work better than sticks?

meltie posted:

I've fixed two of the three main issues now, when i've fixed everything and it's being a good car again it will be rewarded with a detailing. I'm also torturing myself with blown speakers, I won't replace those until the rest of the car's behaving too...

NO NO NO. You can never fix the last thing on the list, because something new will go wrong, and you're stuck in a vicious cycle. Like the others said, wash the car; BUT DO NOT fix the last thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My Scout works like this. If I fix something, it figures I'm willing to give it attention, so it proceeds to tell me about everything that needs fixing by immediately breaking them. If alternately beat on it mercilessly and then neglect it, it's fine.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

joat mon posted:

NO NO NO. You can never fix the last thing on the list, because something new will go wrong, and you're stuck in a vicious cycle. Like the others said, wash the car; BUT DO NOT fix the last thing.

This is the precise reason I have a rock holding up the corner of the driver seat controls rather than building a couple of brackets and rehanging it.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

trouser chili posted:

My Scout works like this. If I fix something, it figures I'm willing to give it attention, so it proceeds to tell me about everything that needs fixing by immediately breaking them. If alternately beat on it mercilessly and then neglect it, it's fine.

This approach also works for raising children.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I've found that everytime I paint a bicycle, it gets stolen shortly after I paint it. My current bikes have the original paint, with chips dings and dents, and Im not going to fix it :colbert:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ooopsie.

This is the passenger front spindle on the scout. I drove it 30 miles after the bearing started moaning. Note the bearing race (which is normally a unit with the caged rollers) appears to be welded to the spindle itself. I may end up trashing this spindle.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
What kind of failure mode is my tire in?

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Need to sand it after spackling, otherwise, easy fix

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

your alignment might be a bit off.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MATLAB 1988 posted:

You're not flush enough. The fender is cutting the tire too far down the sidewall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Is that a retread? Because it almost looks like the tread has been pasted onto the tyrer itself and is starting to come off.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Bucephalus posted:

You're not flush enough. The fender is cutting the tire too far down the sidewall.

Ding ding ding! The fender and tire decided to be friends when turning up a steep incline. Needs much more neg camber for that proper stance. (New tires & the original wheels are going on the next time I drive it)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Engine mount bolts fell out.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Engine mount bolts fell out.

It'll be fine, just be *real* easy on the clutch.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is that a retread? Because it almost looks like the tread has been pasted onto the tyrer itself and is starting to come off.

The tread molding process is the same for new tires as is it for modern retreads - new tires are just prettier. So, this is exactly what's happening, but probably just on the edges of the trea.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
On the opposite end of the spectrum from giant rear end train engines exploding, we have this 5.5hp Briggs & Stratton, which shot a rod through the side of the crankcase.

Click here for the full 960x720 image.

Lancer8XT
Mar 27, 2010
I've been lurking for a bit but decided that I might as well make a first post with some content.

1998 Pontiac Grand am gt, with the infamous 3100 v6. Was in the shop getting the headgasket replaced (lol GM3100 headgaskets) and apparently when the tech reassembled it he put the intake rods under the exhaust valves and vice versa. Turns out, one of them is longer. Bolted it all back together, turned the key, and bam. Free engine rebuild for me. I got to keep a few of the bent rods.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Also, pushrods. :911:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

I found one of the tyres on the trailer suspended in mid separation yesterday. Noticed when I was walking past. I'll post a pic if anyone says they want to see it. The rubber was hilariously dryrotted.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Mr.Peabody posted:

The 300 meters of berm on your left as you were going up that hill was to let you know it was going to turn to the right once you got to the top.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I posted this in the youtube thread, but it makes sense to put it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdGzy2Lun2I

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Imagine that, a FF car understeering...

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
But it was a Nurburgring Edition! It was built to go round there as a marketing exercise.

Your avatar makes me cringe every time :(

vvvvvv - that thought crossed my mind too.

Manny fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 19, 2010

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I secretly like to think it was the car that was detailed heavily, by that guy that charges $12,000, in another thread.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ijustam posted:

I secretly like to think it was the car that was detailed heavily, by that guy that charges $12,000, in another thread.

Not reading the thread is getting to be a real problem for you, isn't it? That was this thread, on the previous page.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Not reading the thread is getting to be a real problem for you, isn't it? That was this thread, on the previous page.

So sorry, I don't read the drat thread every 5 minutes so I come here and read about 30-50 posts at a time. I don't memorize every single thing I read.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Manny posted:

Your avatar makes me cringe every time :(

Don't make bombs in your basement, kids! (no, it's not my hand)

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

JingleBells posted:

Just so everyone knows, they charge the driver 1000 euro per foot of guardrail damage and 10k euro per hour that they have to close the track. Whoops!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ijustam posted:

So sorry, I don't read the drat thread every 5 minutes so I come here and read about 30-50 posts at a time. I don't memorize every single thing I read.

I dunno I read it days ago and I remember the page or more long discussion about insanely expensive auto detailing.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Nomex posted:

Just so everyone knows, they charge the driver 1000 euro per foot of guardrail damage and 10k euro per hour that they have to close the track. Whoops!

So how much do they charge for the fuckin' helicopter

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Walk to the hospital!

:colbert:

There's a reasonable chance that it's covered by EMS, and thus free, they are in the UK in most cases. Normally they're only for use with extreme injuries or inaccessible locations. This is the 'ring though, so he's probably getting the bill for that baby. Also I noticed they both walked from the crash.

Rogz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 19, 2010

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Someone here smacked up their Saxo on the 'Ring, and due to not having facility to trailer it away, had to let them take it away and crush it, on top of paying for the nice men to replace the Armco he hosed up.

I ate Jesus
Feb 27, 2001

trouser chili posted:

Ooopsie.

This is the passenger front spindle on the scout. I drove it 30 miles after the bearing started moaning. Note the bearing race (which is normally a unit with the caged rollers) appears to be welded to the spindle itself. I may end up trashing this spindle.

Ha, been there and done that a few times, but on Dana 44s. I was able to save the spindle each time, it just took some TLC with fine emery cloth :). It was a bitch and a half to get off, though -- I ended up using a claw puller.

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!
Gives you wings indeed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3ybBIqBb4

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

genuineparts posted:

I am entirely too amused by the fact that he tried to counter-steer once it started going sideways.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

I ate Jesus posted:

Ha, been there and done that a few times, but on Dana 44s. I was able to save the spindle each time, it just took some TLC with fine emery cloth :). It was a bitch and a half to get off, though -- I ended up using a claw puller.

That is a Dana 44. Maybe it looks different because the spindle is IH.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

genuineparts posted:

What would cause both tires to come off like that?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Breaky posted:

It's an Adrian Newey design. It either wins the race or it falls apart. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

JingleBells posted:

That's driver failure not mechanical failure :colbert:

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!

Breaky posted:

There seem to be a Material-failure in the right upright which was designed specially for this race. As the upright broke it put so much stress on the left one that it vaporized itself instantly.

Either that or Torro Rosso tested a new system to cheat at Pitstops by ejecting the tires.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Click here for the full 971x395 image.

Google's targeted ads are really on form today, this made me chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006