Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tpg0007
Aug 4, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I noticed his birthday and thought it was kinda neat but never linked it to Drakengard's release date. It's probably just a random day they picked.

You need these sidequests to get all the weapons

Labyrinth's Whisper (One Hand) - "A Bridge in Peril (Part 2)"
Labyrinth's Song (Two Hand) - "Disturbing the Sleep of Kings (Part 2)"
Labyrinth's Shout (Spear) - "The Damaged Map (Part 2)"
Iron Pipe (One Hand) - "The Magical Stone (Part 2)"

Don't forget there's a pre-req quest for the 2nd one you get from one of the guards I think.

Here's a really crucial question: does the US DLC get the bulge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

what the gently caress cavia

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure

Policenaut posted:

:psyboom: I thought the negligee was weird, but this certainly tops it.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
This may seem like a supremely dumb question, but how do you change outfits? I just unlocked Kabuki and Samurai.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

thetrin posted:

This may seem like a supremely dumb question, but how do you change outfits? I just unlocked Kabuki and Samurai.

I read online that you enable them from the Options section on the game's Main Menu

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Policenaut posted:

I read online that you enable them from the Options section on the game's Main Menu

I spent a good five minutes looking for some magical closet in Nier's house. Shame you have to leave your game to change outfits.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Policenaut posted:

They're just trying to make it more obvious.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Haha I'm checking this after work, but usually the textures are too blurry close up. Guess I'll try the same location. Oh you, Cavia.

Syvere
Apr 25, 2010

tpg0007 posted:

It's not really a bulge, but it's exactly the same in both versions.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Question about the Words: For a bunch of the words it says that if you equip on "Magic/Weapons: Level X" or something to that effect. I had just assumed that equipping it on magic would make it cast a level X charge of that spell (eg two fists with one press) without the charge up but now I have no idea... it doesnt actually seem to do anything. Anyone know?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

TheOriginalEd posted:

Question about the Words: For a bunch of the words it says that if you equip on "Magic/Weapons: Level X" or something to that effect. I had just assumed that equipping it on magic would make it cast a level X charge of that spell (eg two fists with one press) without the charge up but now I have no idea... it doesnt actually seem to do anything. Anyone know?

If you haven't already, you'll later get words that will be "Confuse Lvl1" or "Poison Lvl 1", which add that property to your weapon/magic. Using them in conjunction with a Level X word will increase the level of that status ailment.

So, if you do Level 9 and Confuse Level 1, you'll notice that it becomes Confuse Lvl 9.

One thing I still haven't found out is if putting words on Defend are still active and beneficial, even if you don't have Defend bound to a trigger.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 18, 2010

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

tpg0007 posted:

Like Syvere said, yep.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Unknown_PC posted:

Like Syvere said, yep.

The look on Niers face is absolutely priceless.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

thetrin posted:

If you haven't already, you'll later get words that will be "Confuse Lvl1" or "Poison Lvl 1", which add that property to your weapon/magic. Using them in conjunction with a Level X word will increase the level of that status ailment.

So, if you do Level 9 and Confuse Level 1, you'll notice that it becomes Confuse Lvl 9.

One thing I still haven't found out is if putting words on Defend are still active and beneficial, even if you don't have Defend bound to a trigger.

ahaaaa that makes sense. I've never even used the confuse/paralyze etc because I was too busy just slaughtering everything that came near me. :black101:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

TheOriginalEd posted:

ahaaaa that makes sense. I've never even used the confuse/paralyze etc because I was too busy just slaughtering everything that came near me. :black101:

I like to put status ailments on my spear (I don't normally really use it, so it's a good way to force me to use more of my weapons).

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I couldn't find a transcription of it anywhere, so I thought I'd write out the lyrics to the only english song in the game, Ashes of Dreams (the credits song). Enjoy!

Ashes of Dreams posted:

Once there were trees full of birds
Meadowlands vibrant with flowers
Carefree the songs
Our children once sang
Gilding our minutes and hours

Clouds came and covered the sun
The breath of a baleful unease
Turning to ashes
Flowers in their fields
Silenced the birds in the trees

Hidden so deep in veils of deceit
Imprisoned in twisting spells
Are we the plaything that feeds
On merely the dreams
That we're telling ourselves
Telling ourselves

Strive til the phantoms are broken
Fight til the battle is done
The squadrons of night
Can't conquer the day
No shadows extinguish the sun

Stories of danger fearless attack
Spectres of blade and pain
All of these gusts of our world
Delusions come back
And we haunt it again
Haunt it again

For the storms are over and passed
Though the thunders rage it's quiet and at last
While this nightmares laid me down in the rags here tonight
Here tonight

The night has left this cleared(?) filled with grief
As we strive to keep alive our belief
That a loss so great it clouds all our hopes
For the dawn

Hidden so deep in veils of deceit
Imprisoned in twisting spells
Are we the plaything that feeds
On merely the dreams
That we're telling ourselves
Telling ourselves

Our stories of danger, fearless attack
Spectres of Blade and Pain
All of these gusts of our own delusions are back
That we've been fighting in vain
Fighting in vain

I don't think it's a perfect transcription as there were a few things that I couldn't hear properly, but I think it's fairly close.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I've been waffling on whether to get this for the past two weeks or so now. It sounds really cool, there's been very few games I actually didn't like (Shinobi for PS2 being the last one) but there's so many other things I want to play over the next 1 1/2 months or so.

I'd probably have an easier time deciding to pick it up if the North American release had the WierD CapitaliZationS like the Japanese one does.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
screw it, I'm going to ride Cavia's nuts, Nier's art, it's also the least likely place to homage McCarthy's The Road but it manages to

one question though should I have all quests done before the village attack?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
If you care about 100% quest completion, yes, if not, don't worry about it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
The max quest completion % you can get in part 1 is 51% if you were wondering.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

InnercityGriot posted:

If you care about 100% quest completion, yes, if not, don't worry about it.

I care about quest completion. Should I start over? am just after that part.

Or if I start over again after doing everything else with a new save will doing those quests in a new game contribute to the total? Sigh it would suck to miss out on like 3% because I got caught up in the story...

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

TheOriginalEd posted:

Or if I start over again after doing everything else with a new save will doing those quests in a new game contribute to the total? Sigh it would suck to miss out on like 3% because I got caught up in the story...
The NG+ starts you off past the point of no return. So if you care about getting 100% load an earlier save.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

TheOriginalEd posted:

I care about quest completion. Should I start over? am just after that part.

There are some missions you can't get from Devola, so watch out...

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Yeah if you care about quest completion you will need to ensure your completion % is at 51% before part 2, which is a point of no return even on new game +. Note that there is no trophy for 100% quest completion so it's entirely for your own sense of satisfaction.

(Technically you can put off the fishing quests until part 2 I believe but it's easier to just do everything that you can do in part 1 at that point so you know what completion % to look for)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do the +% Item Drop words increase the chance of rare drops, or just increase the chance that any item will drop?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Do the +% Item Drop words increase the chance of rare drops, or just increase the chance that any item will drop?

Just the chance that an item will drop, I think.

Something hit me yesterday. This game is what Brutal Legend should have been. It has brutal monster slaying, giant axes, enormous bulls to ride, and a dynamic soundtrack. Just change the characters and story/dialogue/music, add a couple of monsters and bikes to ride, let Dio and Ozzie give you quests to fight monsters from hell and you're good. I would buy that game.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Xythar posted:

Note that there is no trophy for 100% quest completion so it's entirely for your own sense of satisfaction.

Ok, this works for me. I think Ill just say screw it and continue on.

Pretty sure the only one I missed was the missing daughter in Facade and the last one with the lighthouse lady anyway.

Renoistic posted:

This game is what Brutal Legend should have been.

This times 1million. It even has the saucy "chick" character.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gently caress your five sharks, it's the only quest I left out when changing chapters

I think I can safely say Nier's first half is among my favourite games ever

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Finished ending B, got all trophies except for the upgrade 30 weapons one (and the 15 hour clear one), and I've beaten everything up to the last dungeon on my 3rd playthrough. Time to grind items until I feel like killing myself!

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Crowbear posted:

Finished ending B, got all trophies except for the upgrade 30 weapons one (and the 15 hour clear one), and I've beaten everything up to the last dungeon on my 3rd playthrough. Time to grind items until I feel like killing myself!
A computer streaming tv shows from Hulu just beside your TV screen can help with your suicidal tendencies.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I got my Platinum just this minute! I loved the game and don't regret getting all the items. However I REALLY can't recommend going for Platinum unless you're truly determined. My save before getting ending D had almost 80 hours worth of play-time, and that's not counting all the reloads I had to do. It's almost funny how I afterwards blazed through the game in 7 hours.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Dantes posted:

A computer streaming tv shows from Hulu just beside your TV screen can help with your suicidal tendencies.

This is standard procedure for any grindy trophies. Rewatching every episode of It's Always Sunny is the only thing that got me through FFXIII's Platinum.

So what's the best place to farm those flying shades? I need a bunch of stuff off of them and I don't want to farm the 2 in the desert over and over.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Crowbear posted:

This is standard procedure for any grindy trophies. Rewatching every episode of It's Always Sunny is the only thing that got me through FFXIII's Platinum.

So what's the best place to farm those flying shades? I need a bunch of stuff off of them and I don't want to farm the 2 in the desert over and over.
Sorry, best I found is the 3 in the desert, 1 good drop every 45 minutes with the loading trick, in average.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Crowbear posted:

Sorry but that's pretty much the only place you can farm them in. You can gather gold in the desert too if you haven't already. The shaman (shooting) shades were much more annoying to me. I usually went from Facade towards the boat, killing everything - then went to Northern plains and killed every shaman I could see, and went back to the desert, killing everything on the way to Facade. It worked pretty well, even if I got almost all my shaman drops from the Lost Shrine roof, and almost none from the plains.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 20, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Renoistic posted:

Sorry but that's pretty much the only place you can farm them in. You can gather gold in the desert too if you haven't already. The shaman (shooting) shades were much more annoying to me.

Awesome :suicide:

Only things I have left are Metal Piercings, Dented Bats, Subdued Bracelets, Forlorn Necklaces, and a couple more Memory Alloys. If anyone has any tips and tricks or ideal farming spots for any of those that would be super.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Renoistic posted:

However I REALLY can't recommend going for Platinum unless you're truly determined.

Pray for me. I'm going for the RepliCant Platinum when it comes in the mail to accompany my Gestalt one.

Crowbear posted:

There are 3 Flying Shades in the desert. One is by a dune near the entrance to Facade, close to the fast travel point, another is by a big hill near to the stairway to the sand boat, and the third is located in the middle of the sandstorm (he's very easy to spot though)

Crowbear posted:

Only things I have left are Metal Piercings, Dented Bats, Subdued Bracelets, Forlorn Necklaces, and a couple more Memory Alloys. If anyone has any tips and tricks or ideal farming spots for any of those that would be super.

Forlorn Necklaces are easiest found at the very end of the game, outside of the Point of No Return at the top of Lost Shrine there are two guaranteed Armored Shaman spawns to the upper left of the map (one at the end of a dead end and the other by the blue block you moved), it's easy to farm them then go zone into the shrine room and come back out again.

For the Dented Bats, go to the lab beneath Emil's Mansion. There are rooms there with dozens of tiny melee Shades, there's a certain room with like 20 of them down a staircase and you can go back upt he staircase and fight a few more melee ones then zone back down for the respawn. It's really hard for me to explain this, but you'll find a room with a bunch of pillars where Melee ones spawn, then you go down stairs and into a room where a horde of them spawn, then you go back upstairs to repeat.

Memory Alloy is just a luck-of-the-draw "Go kill P33 robots" at Junk Heap.

Metal Piercings and Subdued Bracelets though? Those both come from Flying Shades in the desert. Good luck.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Policenaut posted:

Useful stuff

Thanks bud, this weekend is gonna be "fun"!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh wow, they finally said it.

Young "RepliCant" Nier is the original. Apparently Square-Enix LA and such didn't think that a young Nier would look right wielding such huge weaponry and they had some big debate with JPN/EU/USA branches until they decided to make our Old "Gestalt" Nier.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That explains why Nier didn't actually loose an eye when he lost the first battle against Shadowlord. That part always bothered me. Old Nier got an eyepatch for no reason while young Nier just got older. Pretty interesting but they could have added a small scene of old Nier getting cut in the face or something. I must say I'm glad they decided on creating old and ugly Nier :unsmith: I really liked the character and I doubt the game would've been as emotionally involving with young Nier as protagonist.

By the way, has anyone read the official Nier comics? They're absolutely awful, bordering on parody, but they do add some tidbits about the game's setting and Nier's past. And pretty much spoils several of the game's plot twists, so don't read them if you haven't beaten at least ending A.

VVVVVVVV Yeah, that too.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, Older Nier did get a slight change beyond the eyepatch, his hair got noticeably grayer.

• Locked thread