Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Adar posted:

David Brin's theory is that privacy is obsolete; technology makes snooping so easy that we may as well give up, admit there's no privacy anymore as a concept, and put restraints on what people can do with the information instead.

The man has a point. It's only a couple of more technological cycles until someone comes up with a surveillance cam that sees through walls, around corners and tags your Social Security number at the top of your face for 29.95 a month.

David Brin also writes passionately about dolphins loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Yes, but at least he doesn't write about dolphin loving.

http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphins1.html

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I somehow fumbled my way into getting an offer from a BigLaw firm for a graduate position as a tax lawyer. This is what I've spent the last five years working towards.

...why do I only feel dread?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lancelot posted:

I somehow fumbled my way into getting an offer from a BigLaw firm for a graduate position as a tax lawyer. This is what I've spent the last five years working towards.

Congrats! I think the feeling of dread just means that you are sane and realize that you won't have much of a personal life for the next few years. It's probably worth it though, if you can knock out debt and/or set yourself up for a long-term career.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Adar posted:

David Brin's theory is that privacy is obsolete; technology makes snooping so easy that we may as well give up, admit there's no privacy anymore as a concept, and put restraints on what people can do with the information instead.

The man has a point. It's only a couple of more technological cycles until someone comes up with a surveillance cam that sees through walls, around corners and tags your Social Security number at the top of your face for 29.95 a month.
I regret not taking my school's privacy law seminar this semester. It seems like it would be a fascinating field for this reason, and it would be a lot of fun to write on. Instead I took Administrative Law, which was kind of pointless since all the information in that class can be absorbed much more efficiently by reading a hornbook.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Adar posted:

I disagree, but then again, I basically am a contextual integrity fanboy. Nissenbaum's new book is really good though.

Duper
Nov 20, 2008

by T. Mascis
Signed up for the October LSAT. The next few months should be fun as hell...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Duper posted:

don't go to law school idiot

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Duper posted:

uh studying for the LSAT will probably be the last "fun" thing you do in your life if you go to law school* you big baby

*unless you enjoy giving BJs at offramp gas stations

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Duper posted:

Make sure you study for it! Take a course. Don't just do old exams.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Duper posted:

If you don't have good reading comprehension, you never will.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Duper posted:

Take classes and practice practice practice. Don't be like me and Ainsley.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
I've been interviewing with LSAT prep companies in DC with the hope of getting a job. I know I'll have some kids who want to go to non-good law schools and it'll be sad, but my goal is to make sure every student does better than I did on the LSAT. I should found a tutoring service with something cheesy like that as the motto, it works too well with my score.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sulecrist posted:

don't go to law school idiot
:irony:

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Linguica posted:

:irony:

Dude, it's not his fault Duke won the NCAA Tournament!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Lancelot posted:

Because you accepted a job where, working within the confines of a tax code that already greatly favors the very wealthy, you will try to bend the law to get them even more favorable treatment and inevitably some rear end in a top hat like me will come along and kick over your sandcastle?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Remember when U.S. Copyright Group targeted 50,000 bit torrent users with infringement lawsuits? The Electronic Frontier Foundation is now seeking "as many attorneys as possible" to assist in the defense of individuals accused of illegally downloading movies. Specifically, they are seeking attorneys who will be available to provide advice to targeted individuals and to file motions to quash subpoenas sent to ISPs. If you are already licensed to practice and are interested, you can provide your contact information to the EFF here. It will be added to a website provided as a resource for individuals targeted by the U.S. Copyright Group's lawsuits.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS I'M FREE

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
debating whether to buy '08 barbri books off ebay for $250

the law can't have changed that much in two years, right?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Ersatz posted:

Remember when U.S. Copyright Group targeted 50,000 bit torrent users with infringement lawsuits? The Electronic Frontier Foundation is now seeking "as many attorneys as possible" to assist in the defense of individuals accused of illegally downloading movies. Specifically, they are seeking attorneys who will be available to provide advice to targeted individuals and to file motions to quash subpoenas sent to ISPs. If you are already licensed to practice and are interested, you can provide your contact information to the EFF here. It will be added to a website provided as a resource for individuals targeted by the U.S. Copyright Group's lawsuits.

what are the chances of us getting paid for this 'internet law'

Also, will it be in currency or mountain dew/hentai?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

JudicialRestraints posted:

what are the chances of us getting paid for this 'internet law'

Also, will it be in currency or mountain dew/hentai?
I don't know, but I'd imagine that mountain dew is the likeliest form of compensation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elotana posted:

debating whether to buy '08 barbri books off ebay for $250

the law can't have changed that much in two years, right?

I studied off used '08 barbri books and passed, however:

1) I took the bar in 2009
2) The person I got them from also gave me her completed lecture notes, which helped quite a bit
3) The Mass bar had like a 90% pass rate

So your results may vary

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Interview for staff attorney position with local government agency tomorrow! I was extremely surprised to hear back from the employer just 30 minutes after emailing my resume. Apparently he was in the Marine Corps back in the day as well. The good ol' boy network strikes again... :3:

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Received a phone call this morning; Chicago just got one more prosecutor! :hist101:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Defleshed posted:

Interview for staff attorney position with local government agency tomorrow! I was extremely surprised to hear back from the employer just 30 minutes after emailing my resume. Apparently he was in the Marine Corps back in the day as well. The good ol' boy network strikes again... :3:

Seriously, being a veteran has helped me out more in life than anything law school could have ever done.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Defleshed posted:

Oorah.

Lykourgos posted:

Received a phone call this morning; Chicago just got one more prosecutor! :hist101:

It's bad enough we've got Mexicans taking our jobs, now the loving brits are too!

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 20, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

So what does an ulcer feel like?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Incredulous Red posted:

So what does an ulcer feel like?

I want to know this too, I've had to use a few tums in the past week.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

I want to know this too, I've had to use a few tums in the past week.

You know that feeling you get when you work for the Federal Government? The opposite of that.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

What is with all these people getting jobs and interviews in the last several pages? This does not compute.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/new-nalp-numbers-are-out-and-as-bad-as-ever/

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Remember, at the NALP conference in April, Leipold produced a slide showing all the ridiculous things law schools are doing to make it look like more people are “employed,” or to generally try to mitigate the effects of the recession:

1. Created or provided on-campus or post-graduate jobs: 42%
2. Increased the number of public interest fellowships: 31%
3. Provided financial assistance for bar exam related expenses: 12%
4. Extended access to student health benefits for recent grads: 12%
5. Expanded LRAP (loan repayment assistance) eligibility/increased LRAP benefits: 9%
6. Provided emergency loans otherwise not available: 5%

How are items two, four, or five "ridiculous"?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

billion dollar bitch posted:

Remember, at the NALP conference in April, Leipold produced a slide showing all the ridiculous things law schools are doing to make it look like more people are “employed,” or to generally try to mitigate the effects of the recession:

1. Created or provided on-campus or post-graduate jobs: 42%
2. Increased the number of public interest fellowships: 31%
3. Provided financial assistance for bar exam related expenses: 12%
4. Extended access to student health benefits for recent grads: 12%
5. Expanded LRAP (loan repayment assistance) eligibility/increased LRAP benefits: 9%
6. Provided emergency loans otherwise not available: 5%

They aren't. Neither is the first, in my opinion. Having a job is better than being unemployed.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

billion dollar bitch posted:

ATL is ridiculous and they should be unemployed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ersatz posted:

They aren't. Neither is the first, in my opinion. Having a job is better than being unemployed.

I guess you could argue that it's slightly dishonest because law schools can point to their fellowships or whatever and say "look at how many of our students are employed after graduation, we're a great school" when in reality they had to create jobs for them because nobody else would hire them on account of having gone to a lovely law school. But having said that, it's still giving graduates work and I don't think there's anything wrong with that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There's nothing wrong with giving their students jobs, what's wrong is using those cynically to manipulate employment statistics and using those employment statistics to recruit new students. The timing, nature, and reporting of those jobs all lean towards the cynical manipulation side.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

When my school released its employment survey it included the following caveat in the e-mail they sent along with it:

quote:

While most of the employment data reflects permanent full-time positions, it also includes a fair number of temporary and contract positions that are full or part-time. The ABA and US News require law schools to count any type of employment as "employed" and our placement statistics reflect this reporting requirement. The reality, however, is that as a result of the constricting legal job market, some graduates have taken positions that are interim solutions until the job market eases or are temporary ways to earn an income. This is a challenging year to be a recent law school graduate entering the job market and our office is committed to helping all of you ultimately achieve career satisfaction and success.

it sounds like they felt kind of bad about reporting the 96% "employed" statistic

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

There's nothing wrong with giving their students jobs, what's wrong is using those cynically to manipulate employment statistics and using those employment statistics to recruit new students. The timing, nature, and reporting of those jobs all lean towards the cynical manipulation side.

No doubt. I'm just saying that law school administrators are going to manipulate their numbers in whatever way they can, and directly employing unemployed graduates is probably one of the least despicable ways to do so.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Lykourgos posted:

Congrats buddy! Couple classmates of mine are over there working now. You'll be in good company with some solid dudes. Hope I get this Cook County spot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Defleshed posted:

Congrats buddy! Couple classmates of mine are over there working now. You'll be in good company with some solid dudes. Hope I get this Cook County spot!

You are going to be a staff atty at 26th street? I worked there my first summer and it's a great place. The judges are great to work with, and there are big trials going on every single day. America's largest criminal court or something.

Are your classmates in Appeals? I might even know them, as I've been interning in appeals since last summer (actually I have to go in tomorrow to finish up my last case).