Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Lemons posted:

I have 2 G500s that I've been using for a while now, and have had no problems with either of them.

Short question then if you don't mind:

One of the features of the mouse is that you can "unhook" the scroll-wheel and let it spin freely. This is done, if I understand it, by pressing the middle mouse button.
I have never used a MX Revolution nor G500 with this feature, so this presents to me a bit of a problem. Lets say I want to open a new tab in firefox by pressing the middle mouse button.
Will it then automatically go into free-spin? Or is there no middle-mouse "button" to click at all and it's only a scroll wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Lamquin posted:

I have never used a MX Revolution nor G500 with this feature, so this presents to me a bit of a problem. Lets say I want to open a new tab in firefox by pressing the middle mouse button.
Will it then automatically go into free-spin? Or is there no middle-mouse "button" to click at all and it's only a scroll wheel?
The unhook button is an entirely different button. The scroll wheel still acts like a normal 3rd mouse button.

damn you grandpappy!
Dec 4, 2003

For my birthday I got this poorly photoshopped Jewday cake, and a lick of Funky's penis.

Lamquin posted:

One of the features of the mouse is that you can "unhook" the scroll-wheel and let it spin freely. This is done, if I understand it, by pressing the middle mouse button.

Revolution user here, The flywheel stuff is controllable in the logitech software, you can set it to "smart" switching, where it will switch when you give it a flick, otherwise it works like a regular scroll wheel (middle click and all, but it has the stupid left/right scrolling that is sorta annoying). Pretty sure that you can remap it to act any way you want it to, too.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

The G500 scroll wheel isn't changed through software at all. It's a mechanical button set a little back from the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel still retains it's mouse3 button functionality.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Lemons posted:

The G500 scroll wheel isn't changed through software at all. It's a mechanical button set a little back from the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel still retains it's mouse3 button functionality.

This is correct, as shown circled in red:

I can attest that this mouse is really great, although the sensitivity buttons are in kind of an odd place.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Marux posted:

This is correct, as shown circled in red:

I can attest that this mouse is really great, although the sensitivity buttons are in kind of an odd place.

Aside from my issues with the G500 being too tall/big/arched to claw grip, does anyone else find the bump on the central side button annoying? That thing was always poking the side of my thumb in a weird way.

So glad I traded this thing for a G9x, but I know I'm in the minority.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Mad Catz Built, Someone posted:

I am admittedly tempted to buy one of these. Slightly surprised that there's no goon reviews of it.

Actually scratch that. Not surprised that the goons of SH/SC don't have the requisite lack of sense and loose wallets to buy this.

E: It's because it hasn't entirely started shipping yet. So nobody has it yet, if anyone was wondering the same as I.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 10, 2010

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm still using my G5 from forever ago.

It's not pretty under the buttons, but it still works flawlessly. Logitech is a quality manufacturer.

Would it be worth upgrading if I'm pretty much perfectly happy with my mouse? It is a little gunky though.. ew

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I'm still using a logitech MX300 and love it to death.
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/peripherals/logitech_mx300/front.JPG

Before that I used the Microsoft intellimouse Ps2 with ball. To be honest I preferred the mouse with the ball but I don't miss cleaning it.

My advice is to get something that is clean, simple, and feels good in your hand.

eames
May 9, 2009

I bought the new Logitech Performance Mouse MX today and have to say its crazy good.
I’ve owned lots of computer mice in the past couple of years (still have a first edition Razer Boomslang in the original tin box around here) but this one is probably the best I’ve used so far.

Tracks 100% flawlessly on my glass table and my polished chrome side-table, allows charging while in use via USB cable and has just the right design/amount of buttons. It feels like a much slimmer and lighter MX1000 without the useless stuff like the second scroll-wheel.

fake edit: just visited the razer homepage out of curiousity and found this — what the heck.

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom
Runes to use in league of legends, a Dota clone. Sort of like passive abilities for your hero I think.

I must admit I got a leftie Razer DeathAdder last month and it's so comfortable, if you're one of the few of us it's well worth a look.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Medikit posted:

I'm still using a logitech MX300 and love it to death.
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/peripherals/logitech_mx300/front.JPG

Before that I used the Microsoft intellimouse Ps2 with ball. To be honest I preferred the mouse with the ball but I don't miss cleaning it.

My advice is to get something that is clean, simple, and feels good in your hand.

I can't recommend it enough. 800 dpi is good enough for pixel perfection assuming you don't use a very high sens, a 1000 MHz polling rate and doesn't malfunction at higher speeds either. You can remove the weight inside if you want a light mouse. The buttons all work perfectly even after 10 years. Nice grip too. Only complaint is the scroll wheel which has a rather cheap 'click' to it. You can also only reach 800 dpi using the rather outdated intellipoint drivers else you're stuck at 400 dpi. It won't work with the current version.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think I need to recommend this mouse again. I got the logitech g500 but in the end like this one better. I posted about it on the page before.

Simple, comfortable, and cheap. I have the Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) version which is the same except that carbon fiber looking material is rubber and it says Asus and some other minor differences. The rubberized material is probably better, though. Pesky fingerprints

Review -

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/GGaming/comments/review_hp_laser_gaming_mouse_with_voodoo_dna/

Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Gaming-Mouse-with-VooDooDNA/dp/B001HLF2KO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Picture for the lazy.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Teledahn posted:

Actually scratch that. Not surprised that the goons of SH/SC don't have the requisite lack of sense and loose wallets to buy this.

I'm of the opinion spending ridiculous amounts of money on input devices is more cost-efficient than spending ridiculous amounts of money on other computer-related hardware. Things like monitors, keyboards, mice and chairs will provide a better experience in general if you use your system often, so why not splurge on them?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Atomic Mitten posted:

Runes to use in league of legends, a Dota clone. Sort of like passive abilities for your hero I think.

I must admit I got a leftie Razer DeathAdder last month and it's so comfortable, if you're one of the few of us it's well worth a look.
I got the Razor Imperator and love it. It is comfortable, the software/drivers kicks the poo poo out of anything Logitech makes for their mice and find it great in gaming. Plus the blue LED highlights on it suit my first gen G15 keyboard :)

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

I'm of the opinion spending ridiculous amounts of money on input devices is more cost-efficient than spending ridiculous amounts of money on other computer-related hardware. Things like monitors, keyboards, mice and chairs will provide a better experience in general if you use your system often, so why not splurge on them?

After looking at some nice input hardware myself recently, I'm going to have to agree with you, considering what one can pay for other hardware or software as you said.

Of course, that post about that crazy mouse was pretty much all first impressions, past 'ooh it's pretty'.

I have since emailed the manufacturer about shipping to Canada. :iamafag:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Christoff posted:

I think I need to recommend this mouse again. I got the logitech g500 but in the end like this one better. I posted about it on the page before.

Simple, comfortable, and cheap. I have the Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) version which is the same except that carbon fiber looking material is rubber and it says Asus and some other minor differences. The rubberized material is probably better, though. Pesky fingerprints

Review -

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/GGaming/comments/review_hp_laser_gaming_mouse_with_voodoo_dna/

Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Gaming-Mouse-with-VooDooDNA/dp/B001HLF2KO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Picture for the lazy.

We have these at work, and they are by far the most comfortable mice I've ever used, and I will be grabbing one with my next paycheck over a logitech.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Just going through a quick glance of this thread, what is the best claw grip mouse? The Mx Revolution? Also, what do you guys use for mousepads? I recently got a new, generic pad and its just awful.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

eames posted:

fake edit: just visited the razer homepage out of curiousity and found this — what the heck.

Those are actually pretty sweet runes. :c00l:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Greed posted:

Just going through a quick glance of this thread, what is the best claw grip mouse? The Mx Revolution? Also, what do you guys use for mousepads? I recently got a new, generic pad and its just awful.

Again touting my love for the G9x.

It's just about everything I've always wanted in a claw grip mouse. If the scroll-mode button was on top (like the G500), it would be perfect (for me).

Click here for the full 610x856 image.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Christoff posted:

Review -

Amazon -

Picture for the lazy.

This is the Ideazon Reaper Edge. Exactly the same mouse, it looks like. I use it and it's wonderful (Ideazon one, that is).

E: I posted this way back in the thread, but I have to say again how amazing this kind of mouse is. It fits my hand perfectly, the adjustable DPI is a godsend, and having the thumb buttons set up like they are is great.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 17, 2010

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Again touting my love for the G9x.

It's just about everything I've always wanted in a claw grip mouse. If the scroll-mode button was on top (like the G500), it would be perfect (for me).

Click here for the full 610x856 image.

It would be better if it auto switched scroll modes like the revolution does.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

dvgrhl posted:

I have a Logitech MX Revolution, which I got when my 2 year old MX1000 (I think this was the model) stopped holding a charge. Logitech sent it to me for free since their mice come with a 3 year warranty. I absolutely love it, and will only buy Logitech mice in the future.

As to if $100 is worth it, next to the keyboard, the mouse is the part of the computer you use the most. Having a good mouse that is comfortable and has the features you want is easily worth spending $100 if you have it. And with a Logitech mouse you are guaranteed to get 3 years out of it.

Mice aren't like a Killer NIC or anything like that, the $100 ones cost more because they are typically worth the extra cost.

Quoting the gently caress out of this as it's all true. The MX Revolution is worth every penny of the £60 I paid and I'm only buying Logitech in future. So I guess, yes, buy the $100 mouse. You'll be glad you did.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's everyone using for a mouse pad?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

funcmat archetype 1030 here. Been using the rough side for 4+ years of heavy gaming and I can't really see any noticible wear. Still sticks to the surface of the desk and the mouse still glides across it with the lightest touch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Full Circle posted:

funcmat archetype 1030 here. Been using the rough side for 4+ years of heavy gaming and I can't really see any noticible wear. Still sticks to the surface of the desk and the mouse still glides across it with the lightest touch.

I'm still using my original func sUrface1030. I think it's close to 10 years old by now and aside from some discoloration of the rubber the pad sits in, it's like the day I got it.

It's flat out perfect. I don't think I will ever replace it unless it spontaneously combusts or something.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I spent about an hour reading reviews on newegg and settled on this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817114174&cm_sp=MyNewegg-_-RctPur-_-Pst02Descrip

I saw the other ridiculously large ones which I guess would be better but I don't have the space and it's for my laptop. It's real flimsly which is nice for packing up and always unrolls perfectly flat. Nice and smooth. The design is pretty cool. It's not the plain black in the photo. At least the one they shipped me.

I also found this which I guess is the hybrid version? Bigger plus accessories or something? I didn't get a plastic tube or anything.

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/xtracpads_hybrid

The Gasmask posted:

This is the Ideazon Reaper Edge. Exactly the same mouse, it looks like. I use it and it's wonderful (Ideazon one, that is).

E: I posted this way back in the thread, but I have to say again how amazing this kind of mouse is. It fits my hand perfectly, the adjustable DPI is a godsend, and having the thumb buttons set up like they are is great.

Heh, I have the Asus "Republic of Gamers" mouse. I guess this is just a highly rebadged mouse. I think I'd prefer it because it' rubberized (Y'know. Bacon grease and all)

Alystair
Oct 11, 2005

Remain calm, we are in control.
I moved from the MX1000 to the MX Revolution, and then got a free upgrade to the G9x due to bad wifi interference.

The G9x is OK, but I'd switch back to the MX Revo if wifi wasn't an issue. The scroll wheel isn't a hybrid so you need to switch the scroll mode manually on the underside of the mouse... I really don't need this much level of customization.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

Aside from my issues with the G500 being too tall/big/arched to claw grip, does anyone else find the bump on the central side button annoying? That thing was always poking the side of my thumb in a weird way.

I claw grip and I'm trying to figure out what bump you're talking about. I guess I don't rest my thumb on the button, though.

I wish the G500 was a little wider, honestly. My MX1000 was a little more comfortable but I didn't feel like pulling it apart to replace the dead battery.

quote:

Are they really necessary anymore? I've been using my desk for years.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I took my Razer Mamaba back to best buy today since it was basically falling apart after 6 months. The ribber side grips were starting to peel off, the battery (which I hardly used) was running dry after a couple of hours, and the goddamned wheel was squeaking like mad.

Used the credit to get a G500. So far so good, the wheel is exactly like the G9(x), and the 3rd side button isn't annoying like I thought it would be.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I've been using my Razer Deathadder for a good 2 years or something now, I think. Haven't had a single problem with it, I doubt I'll buy another mouse till it breaks, it's perfect for me considering how cheap it was.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Just wondering if anyone else with an MX Revolution can perform rapid flicks downward in an FPS. Can't seem to look straight down fast enough in Portal for challenge 18. Turning mouse sensitivity up to max doesn't seem to help here - I move the mouse down fast and the mouse seems to not even see the fast movement and the movement's not slow enough to register. I did fine with this on an MX 500. Maybe I need an actual mousepad instead of grimey, lovely woodgrain.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Just posting to :fap: about Logitech. Still using the MX1000 I bought at launch (back in, what, mid 2004?). I've gone through two laptops and a desktop between now and when I bought this thing, and it's survived five moves with another impending. My one and only complaint is that it's finicky with being put back on the dock, but once it's on it's on and I usually go a month or so without charging.

I basically buy everything from Logitech now.

edit: oh yeah one of these, bought it same time as the mouse.

vanov fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 23, 2010

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Christoff posted:

Heh, I have the Asus "Republic of Gamers" mouse. I guess this is just a highly rebadged mouse. I think I'd prefer it because it' rubberized (Y'know. Bacon grease and all)

Oooh, that one looks much nicer than mine, the rubber seems like such a logical addition. Since this style of mouse is probably the same weight all around, does the rubber do anything for you, like better grip or feel or something? If mine ever bites the dust I'll be looking at the same style, and the ASUS looks like it might be it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Gasmask posted:

Oooh, that one looks much nicer than mine, the rubber seems like such a logical addition. Since this style of mouse is probably the same weight all around, does the rubber do anything for you, like better grip or feel or something? If mine ever bites the dust I'll be looking at the same style, and the ASUS looks like it might be it.

It's definitely better all around than any sort of plastic or smooth surface. No grease, fingerprints, etc. Good grip. Feels nice and smooth.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Full Circle posted:

Same. I think it's 5 or 6 years old here. It's flat and doesn't move around. With a G9.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Tab8715 posted:

My desk :colbert:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
This is pretty good if you want something with friction but smooth overall, looks cool, huge and cheap, like 16" x 20" for 20 bucks cheap.

http://www.cshyde.com/c4web/C4Ngen04.htm

Click here for the full 1229x609 image.

a review with more pics
http://www.dansdata.com/ngen.htm

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 24, 2010

Strand
Dec 11, 2008

Maybe someone with low self-esteem and slightly larger breasts.

Lamquin posted:

Don't know about all models, but the one I'm using (VX Revolution), the 'unhook' is on the bottom of the mouse to prevent switching accidentally, the Click scroll wheel remains the 3rd mouse button for me.

It's a great mouse and I've been using it prety heavily for the past 2 years. It's much less prone to buildup of that gunky crap my last mouse had. I shudder to think what that "Rat" mouse will be like, with all those cracks, seems etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Christoff posted:

It's definitely better all around than any sort of plastic or smooth surface. No grease, fingerprints, etc. Good grip. Feels nice and smooth.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that mouse? Now that I'm interested, I've been looking at different stores, but both NewEgg and Amazon don't seem to have it. I'm hoping it's not discontinued, but it looks like it might be.