Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Does anyone have tips for F.E.A.R. or Bayonetta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

F.E.A.R.

Use your Reflexes(/Slow-Mo/Bullet Time/Whatever You Wanna Call It) fairly freely, and always be aware of your surroundings so you can use your environment to your advantage. It's one of the few FPSes out there with more than half-way competent AI. Also, hitting enemies dead on with a grenade isn't USEFUL, per se, but it's very pretty. The game has some very fancy particle effects that make the resulting cloud of vaporized "human" bits look oh so nice.

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Does anyone have tips for F.E.A.R. or Bayonetta?

In FEAR, if I recall correctly, you can detonate your own grenade by shooting it in midair (much easier in slo-mo, obviously). Useful when you miss your target or just want to look cool.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Big Sean posted:

Divine Divinity
[...]
Your character is much faster than most enemies, so kiting is frequently effective if you need to use it.
In addition to this, bows are just really good when you know how the tricks of moving. Fire a shot, pause immediately, move just enough to dodge, repeat. You can dodge enemy projectiles and fire back like you were in some kind of fantasy Matrix; it also works for kiting. You can whittle down most enemies like this, even if they are a lot stronger than you. It slows things down, though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Bayonetta

-Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge. It'll save your life, builds your magic meter, and activates Witch Time (slo-mo).
-Every enemy except one type can activate Witch Time, but some only do it when you dodge certain moves instead of any attack, usually it's combinations where you must dodge multiple times.
-Most of your weapons can be equipped on your hands OR feet. Some weapons have a second pair you can buy in the shop after you unlock it so you can do both.
-The claw weapon can change from Fire to Lightning with a command. The fire hits harder but slower and has shorter combos, the lightning is weaker but hits faster with longer combos. When equipped on both hands and legs they get an extended multi-hit combo. You can also hold the button down on each hit of a combo to cause an explosion for extra damage.
-If you noticed you missed a verse at the chapter complete screen, it means you needed to backtrack to find the enemies or you missed a portal.
-If Bayonetta has a lollipop in a cutscene, you can hold down the same color button to recieve it's effects after.
-Experiment with different weapons to find out what works best for you. You can press start in the loading screen to activate Practice Mode.
-Don't ever try to understand the story.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

SpazmasterX posted:

-Don't ever try to understand the story.

Why does everyone say that? The story makes perfect sense and is pretty simple to understand. I'm not being jokey or anything.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

21stCentury posted:

Why does everyone say that? The story makes perfect sense and is pretty simple to understand. I'm not being jokey or anything.

I think it's more "This game is purposefully silly and over the top" rather than "This game doesn't make sense". Or maybe people are actually trying Bayonetta seriously.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Does anyone have any advice for Metal Gear Ac!d? I haven't played yet, but I only know it uses some card-based system.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
I finally decided to check out Metal Gear Solid 4 and so far I've found that capping dudes in the face is a lot easier than incapacitating them and there isn't really a downside to this. I pretty much never die and the AI in this game seems horrible since I can apparently go prone right in front of them and become invisible. :psyduck: And if I do get spotted they're usually just staring at me instead of actually shooting me. The only other game in the series I've played is MGS2 and I remember that being a whole lot more stealth oriented than this. So I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, is there a point to sneaking around in this game at all when I could just be mowing down dudes and eating noodles instead?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stealth isn't supremely important in the first two chapters especially on normal difficulty. End of the second chapter has a couple of devious traps but not too difficult if you're trigger happy. Third chapter is entirely a stealth section where you can't progress at all in alert mode. Fourth chapter is pretty difficult without stealthing because an infinite number of super annoying enemies spawn constantly. Final chapter goes right back to the action.

In short: yes, you can shoot your way through the game except the third chapter.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

frogg posted:

I finally decided to check out Metal Gear Solid 4 and so far I've found that capping dudes in the face is a lot easier than incapacitating them and there isn't really a downside to this. I pretty much never die and the AI in this game seems horrible since I can apparently go prone right in front of them and become invisible. :psyduck: And if I do get spotted they're usually just staring at me instead of actually shooting me. The only other game in the series I've played is MGS2 and I remember that being a whole lot more stealth oriented than this. So I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, is there a point to sneaking around in this game at all when I could just be mowing down dudes and eating noodles instead?

The game is designed so you can go Rambo on everyone if you want.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Anything to keep in mind for Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days? Probably going to pick that one up in a little bit.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
There's one really sweet stealth section though, and a couple places where it's worthwhile to at least be sneaky until you are in an opportune position to start shooting people.

Honestly, playing stealthy is more fun and if you really like shooting guys then I think you've been desensitized by popular media.

Little Blue Couch fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 21, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Big Sean posted:

Divine Divinity
Your character is much faster than most enemies, so kiting is frequently effective if you need to use it.

Make use of your speed when fleeing from enemies. It may be tempting to just teleport away, but the enemies will be probably waiting for you when you get back. It's a good idea to get some distance before dropping a teleporter pyramid so you won't have a tough time recovering it.

The teleporter pyramids also make playing a mage* much easier. Just leave the first pyramid near a free bed (like in the basement you get access to at the start) and you can always teleport away and fully recover your mana and health instantly. I don't remember if enemies regenerate when you rest, but the game is still a lot easier when you can just spam your most effective spells.

*Since DD's skillsystem is freeform you don't actually have to be a mage to cast spells. Seriously, just pick the character with the least awful voice-acting.

Edit: the game also has an easter egg that you'll never find without looking up instructions online. It's at the cemetary and involves a character called Apollo looking for his friend Shrimpo. It's all a reference to a Belgian gamesite/show that now longer exists.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 21, 2010

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Batman Arkham Asylum:

This game is an RPG no matter how you cut it. It's also just Metroid.
(Most games are actually RPGs if you trace out how mechanics work in your head.)

There is a radius in which enemies can be hit with Batman's attacks (AOE - Area of Affect), as you get a larger combo this AOE expands. As such, getting the upgrade that makes your combo meter go up by 2 for perfectly timed attacks and counters is the most important. This will also let you use the two finisher moves faster.

Only the second finishing move you unlock grants invulnerability frames.

When fighting a group you will knock over enemies without outright defeating them, there is a move to finish them off but it leaves you open to attack. A better option is to leave them alone and continue fighting.

You can't punch a downed enemy right after he falls over, trying to do so will break your combo. You can however knock over a thug, attack someone else, then target the downed thug to extend your combo.

Playing on Normal is for tools, makes the combat far to simple due to the markers on enemies for the correct counter timing. Play on Hard, no marker and fights are actually a challenge.

Movement controls are very fluid in terms of making Batman do what you want him to. This seems to have been achieved by making the context sensitivity for actions quite large. This means it is completely possible to get the timing down to do a jump roll ending crouched and enter a vent as one fluid action. It serves no purpose but is fun to do.

Talking to yourself as though you were in fact Batman while playing the game is fun.

It is not possible to outright miss any collectibles, aka Riddler's Challenge, due to a point of no return. You will always, at some point, be able to return to every area freely.

In each area there is a map that shows the rough location of every collectible in that area, a little hard to read due to ambiguity in some cases, but it makes collecting a snap.

There are 2 achievements that you can miss, one is to rescue 2 cops and 1 thug from poisonous gas (remember, Batman doesn't let anyone die), the other is to beat up all thugs with party hats on, they are all in one place, hard to miss. If you pay attention to Joker's messages he sends to the island over the course of the game one of them should tell you where the group with hats is.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 21, 2010

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

I'm going to be starting a playthough of Eternal Sonata when I get home from vacation, anything to keep in mind?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Metal Gear Ac!d? I haven't played yet, but I only know it uses some card-based system.

Copy pasted from earlier.

Always use like ammo. What I mean by this is every type of gun has a type of ammo it produces and one it requires. Try to only use a gun with an equivalent gun, without mixing ammo types. Some guns produce more ammo but deal less damage, so use them only as ammo, and use your high damage low ammo guns as your equipped weapon. You get several bonuses and it streamlines your deck rather rapidly, and can absolutely wreck any guard you come across.

If you can get it, the "fortune" card from the MGS2 set is absolutely broken.

In terms of gameplay, the best idea is to fill your deck with health cards you plan to use to move with, and then tons of guns. You may want an RPG or nikita mixed in as well for a little variety as some missions will require it and its incredibly annoying to get 15 minutes into a mission to find out you need it. If you enjoy AC!D, get the sequel which is pretty much a complete upgrade in every regard.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

I'm going to be starting a playthough of Eternal Sonata when I get home from vacation, anything to keep in mind?

There must be more but I only remember one thing. The game is really easy so you'll probably never upgrade your stuff via shops. However in one of the chapters, when you get to a ship you can buy armor that prevents enemies from getting critical hits on you. The pirate boss of the chapter is much more difficult if you don't have this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

frogg posted:

Well at the start of Act 3 this would be a bad idea as its pretty much the only "spy" section ever put into an Metal Gear game and in Acts 4 and 5 its balls to the wall combat so, yes, Rambo is totally okay.

The first two Acts are what stealth in a firefight should feel like. You're some crazy dude on the battlefield who, as long as you're not shooting at people, isn't the primary concern when enemies are afoot. Although you can eat some healthy collateral.

MGS4 really isn't a stealth game. Its a game about Super-Science Spy/Soldier Snake

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Zushio posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum:

It is not possible to outright miss any collectibles, aka Riddler's Challenge, due to a point of no return. You will always, at some point, be able to return to every area freely.

My brother was playing the game and got to the point where you lock up Harley. After she's trapped in the cell, you can enter a different one to get a Riddler trophy. When you walk into this other cell, she closes the door behind you and you have to find a new way out. Anyway my brother did not get the Riddler trophy inside that cell, and when he escaped he was unable to find a way back in. I fired up my game and tried for a couple minutes to reenter that cell and I didn't find a way either. I think he's screwed.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything to keep in mind for Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days? Probably going to pick that one up in a little bit.

Been a while since I played it, but the first thing that springs to mind is that it is generally worth it to search out all the chests on a level and try to complete the extra requirements the first time around. There are some really good items in some of the chests that can be easy to miss. Also, that way you know that any levels where you haven't got all the chests are ones where you couldn't reach them, so you can go back easily when you've got the right movement skill.

The panels system means you can always completely change your build so you can experiment as much as you like without screwing yourself over.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Life has become too enjoyable, so I need to fix that by figuring out FFX's Blitzball. I managed to get the Jecht Shot, and though I lost the initial tournament, I'm managing to hold my own in league play (two wins, one tie.) Are there particular players I should look to recruit, either to keep them off the other teams or use them myself? Are there certain games or teams that I need to play to pick up skills?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Ratatozsk posted:

Life has become too enjoyable, so I need to fix that by figuring out FFX's Blitzball. I managed to get the Jecht Shot, and though I lost the initial tournament, I'm managing to hold my own in league play (two wins, one tie.) Are there particular players I should look to recruit, either to keep them off the other teams or use them myself? Are there certain games or teams that I need to play to pick up skills?

Get Jecht Shot 2, it pretty much breaks the game. I can't recall what you need to do to get it, but I'm sure there's an FAQ on it. IIRC you need to win a tournament or something of sorts.

There aren't any specific players that you must get, but you need at least one guy besides Tidus to be an offensive weapon as well as 2 guys solid in defense. Obviously you want a good goalie. I can't remember the stats categories off the top of my head, but dont worry if you find some guy with awesome defensive abilities but he's awful with offense, if he's playing defense he won't (shouldn't) ever be attempting to score.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Blitzball becomes impossible to lose once you've recruited a few people other than the default Aurochs. One of the best characters in the game is located right around the point where you can first start playing blitzball. He's an Al Bhed named Ropp and he should be located inside the Mi'ihen travel agency. I use him as my center and he's all but invincible.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Biggs or Wedge is a good goalie, if I remember right.

And don't even bother with FFX2 blitzball.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

Are there particular players I should look to recruit, either to keep them off the other teams or use them myself?

Later in the game, you can recruit Rikku's brother (named Brother). He makes a good teammate thanks to his ridiculously high speed.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Miracon posted:

Later in the game, you can recruit Rikku's brother (named Brother). He makes a good teammate thanks to his ridiculously high speed.

Great noob team for low levels:

LF: Tidus
RF: Wedge (one of the guards at the Blitzball stadium in Luca)
MF: Brother (airship) or Letty
LD: Ropp (travel agency on the Mi'Hen Highroad, you might remember it at Rin's Inn or something)
RD: Zalitz (Luca Theatre, just run up the middle path near where the 'reporter' stands around, he's in white)
GL: Jumal (Luca seaport)

You can get this really, really soon after starting Blitzball and to be honest I never lost a game with it, never came close. You can get Brother as you progress through the game and move Wedge into defense (he has monstrously high starting shoot but it never really goes up) and grab another offense player.

Once you get the airship if the Al Bhed Psyches are ever dumb enough to let Nimrook go get him and never let him go, he's without a doubt the best goalie in the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Biggs or Wedge is a good goalie, if I remember right.

And don't even bother with FFX2 blitzball.

I tried that once a few days ago after finally finishing Via Infinito. I think I lost the first game 7 to 0.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
One of my friends hates FFX blitzball but loves, LOVES FFX-2 blitzball. He's a math/stats nerd so I guess it makes sense, but it always boggled my mind.

In fact, some tips for FFX-2 blitzball would be good, I'm gonna give that game a replay sometime soon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I just started playing FFXIII and I wanted to know if there is any missable stuff. I know that I should not sell anything that can't be rebought, since it means possibly never getting it back, but is there anything else that can be missed or screwed up (specifically in terms of trophies and the like)?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Can't miss much just don't sell your resist rings if you plan on getting the platinum. That's literally the only thing that's missable.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

There is a dungeon set aside at the end for grinding levels,gold, and resurrecting Claves.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Quick question about Blue Dragon, would I be better off using the Ultra Hard Mod for my first playthrough? I've heard the game is really easy, and I'd rather not get too bored halfway through.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Several months ago I finished Dragon Age: Origins and am looking forward to doing another run through, this time with Awakening, but I have some questions:

1. Are the newer downloadable contents (Ostagar, Darkspawn Chronicles and gifts/pranks) worth it? If so, is there anything I should be aware of?

2. Any tips for Awakening?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just bought Freespace 2 from GOG.com.

I'm a few missions in, but if there's anything really useful I'm missing out on (Still haven't figured out everything), I'd be happy to hear it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Centipeed posted:

I just bought Freespace 2 from GOG.com.

I'm a few missions in, but if there's anything really useful I'm missing out on (Still haven't figured out everything), I'd be happy to hear it.

You've probably heard abou this, but get Freespace Open for updated graphics.

You can use the buttons above the arrow keys (ins, end, pg up, etc) to increase and decrease how much power guns, shields and engines are allocated. Early in the game most guns don't use a lot of energy, so you can lower their energy use and still fire continuosly, while making the ship go faster and the shields recharge faster.

A key (default is Q I think) let's you equalize your shields, do that if one of them (front, left side, right side, back) take a lot of damage.

B targets bombers and their bombs, VERY useful when flying escort missions.

Enemies frequently use the afterburners, you should too. Fire them whenever you see the engines of the enemy you're tailing lighting up.

Also: DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Eggn0g posted:

Quick question about Blue Dragon, would I be better off using the Ultra Hard Mod for my first playthrough? I've heard the game is really easy, and I'd rather not get too bored halfway through.

Yes. The Ultra Hard Mod is what makes the game fun and interesting instead of a boring slog

Some of the bosses near...I think the end of disc 1 are going to be hard as hell but otherwise the difficulty curve is great

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
About to play Grandia, is there anything missable or anyway I can permanently mess things up? The wiki mentions something related to someone named Sue but that means nothing to me.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

McKracken posted:

About to play Grandia, is there anything missable or anyway I can permanently mess things up? The wiki mentions something related to someone named Sue but that means nothing to me.

In Grandia, you get elemental magic from items called Mana Eggs, which are found throughout the game. Some party members are permanent, so although you can find plenty of Mana Eggs if you look hard enough, it is possible to a) not find enough Mana Eggs for everyone and b) use them on the "wrong" people. If you're curious, the ones you want to make sure to trick out first are Justin, Feena, and Rapp. Magic and skills work on a level system; as you use skills, you get experience for whatever category (swords, fire, whips, etc) of attack it is, and skills have prerequisites (so a particular sword skill might have a level 8 sword skill minimum). When the non-permanent members of the party leave, they leave behind items that give part of whatever experience they earned to who uses it, so you should still use Mana Eggs on the non-permanent members so they can earn experience for you.

There are pretty obvious point-of-no-return points throughout the game, and you can't go back to visit old areas once you leave them, so if you don't fully explore an area and find all the stuff in it you can't go back. Just make sure to rotate the camera to find stuff hidden behind the geography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Awesome response. Thanks for clearing that up.