Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

What is with all these people getting jobs and interviews in the last several pages? This does not compute.

I've gotten 4 interviews in the past 2 weeks after not hearing back from anybody in almost a year. Not that it's helped me at all, since now I'm out of practice in interviewing. Thankfully, I'm still a practiced drinker, so the haunting memory of every misstep can be drowned in copious alcohol.

Oh wait, bad memories float. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have an interview with a temp agency tomorrow which I guess is a good thing but it means that I actually have to get up for something in the morning so I can't drink tonight. I'm upset about how much that annoys me

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Lykourgos posted:

You are going to be a staff atty at 26th street? I worked there my first summer and it's a great place. The judges are great to work with, and there are big trials going on every single day. America's largest criminal court or something.

Are your classmates in Appeals? I might even know them, as I've been interning in appeals since last summer (actually I have to go in tomorrow to finish up my last case).

I'm interviewing for a spot over at the Cook County Treasurer, actually. I am not sure if my friend works in appeals or not. Do you know a guy named Declan?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Anyone have any tips on being a summer associate?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

evilweasel posted:

If you ever meet opposing counsel, introduce yourself to them. Be a social butterfly and hope that it pays off further down the road if someone remembers you and can hire you.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

evilweasel posted:

I think the #1 tip is not waiting for work to come to you, you need to seek it out. Approach the attorneys to ask for work to do. Seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of summer associates do the whole 'sit there and wait' thing, and it never looks good.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

evilweasel posted:

Take full advantage of the free lunches. Order dessert.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Abugadu posted:

I think the #1 tip is not waiting for work to come to you, you need to seek it out. Approach the attorneys to ask for work to do. Seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of summer associates do the whole 'sit there and wait' thing, and it never looks good.

Someone will always have a project that's interesting (or at least less boring than the others). Seek them out, make yourself at least somewhat integral to things on their end.

Local counsel on one of my cases is working the plaintiff's side of the oil spill and it's all I can do to keep from jumping around and yelling "ME ME ME I WANT TO HELP ME OH GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE RICH (even though I don't work for you)."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 21, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Defleshed posted:

I'm interviewing for a spot over at the Cook County Treasurer, actually. I am not sure if my friend works in appeals or not. Do you know a guy named Declan?

I don't think I know a Declan. Did he start early this year/late last year? I don't know all of the new people too well. There are a few other departments that you can be placed in for your first assignment, though, so he might not be in Appeals.

Good luck on your CC Treasurer interview, too; the more good people in Chicago the better. It's the best city I've been to in the States.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

I think the #1 tip is not waiting for work to come to you, you need to seek it out. Approach the attorneys to ask for work to do.

This is critical. Also, be proactive in getting assignments relating to the kind of law you want to practice. Once you impress the first few attorneys you work with, they'll let their friends know about you, and you'll end up getting a lot of related work. If there's a particular practice area that interests you in your firm, you can build up your network in that area over the summer, so that placing you there if you get an offer seems like a no-brainer to everyone involved.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

1) I agree that you should go out and seek the work you want to do, or at least the practice area you want to practice in. Don't get stuck doing 50 state surveys for the insurance coverage group. Actually, don't get stuck doing 50 state surveys at all.
2) Don't be a dumbass and kill yourself. You aren't impressing anybody working until midnight as a summer (note: this is Chicago advice - if you're at cravath or something in NY, maybe they would).
3) Do things that make you a good associate. Ask about and understand the desired deadlines and deliverables. If you aren't going to be able to finish something, or something turns more complicated, talk to the guy - you probably have a false deadline anyways.
4) Be social, but don't be a drunken rear end.
5) Don't try to get all your fellow summers to start a mutiny against your firm in protest.
6) This should go without saying, but do awesome loving work. If your research raises an obvious follow up issue, investigate the follow up issue.
7) If you don't put on ten pounds, you aren't taking proper advantage of summer lunches.
8) Play eve online e'ryday.

Torpor posted:

If you ever meet opposing counsel, introduce yourself to them. Be a social butterfly and hope that it pays off further down the road if someone remembers you and can hire you.
I disagree with this, I think. If you're at a big firm and taken where opposing counsel is present, you are probably just observing, and it should stay that way.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 21, 2010

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Also, making yourself indispensable to one or two attorneys is generally worth more than talking a little bit to each one but not doing anything particularly noteworthy for any of them.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

JudicialRestraints posted:

what are the chances of us getting paid for this 'internet law'

Also, will it be in currency or mountain dew/hentai?

400 lolis/hour

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

gvibes posted:

5) Don't try to get all your fellow summers to start a mutiny against your firm in protest.
Is there a story behind this?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

gvibes posted:

2) Don't be a dumbass and kill yourself. You aren't impressing anybody working until midnight as a summer (note: this is Chicago advice - if you're at cravath or something in NY, maybe they would).

At least in New York, you need to do the work required to get something done. If you're not willing to stay late, you don't want the job enough and there's a bunch of students around who do.

The shape of the legal market and the continuing layoffs has pretty much made employers expect even more than the impossible out of the associates. If you're getting worked to death, it's a sign of respect and it's something you're supposed to be grateful for.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lykourgos posted:

Received a phone call this morning; Chicago just got one more prosecutor! :hist101:
Fightin' the bad fight, eh?

Enjoy persecuting black people and getting Mexicans deported.

My way of saying congrats

evilweasel posted:

1. Show up before the partners
2. Leave after the partners
3. Volunteer for more work and jump at the opportunity to do more
4. Do not buy booze on the company account unless specifically authorized.
5. Never ever get drunk at firm events or with firm employees
6. Work your loving rear end off

You're there to get noticed (in a good way), not to have fun.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 21, 2010

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

Is there a story behind this?

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/03/mutiny-at-mayer-brown/

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

The sense of entitlement in those emails makes me want to loving throw up. I wish there was a follow up about them joining the bread lines with the rest of us, but I know the world is not a fair or just place.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't know, I can kind of feel for people just graduating and getting ready for finals/the bar and being scared shitless at having no job.

But they're probably just douchebags though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

diospadre posted:

I don't know, I can kind of feel for people just graduating and getting ready for finals/the bar and being scared shitless at having no job.
No, that's the worst part - these were people who actually had jobs, but just weren't starting as early as they wanted to.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

No, that's the worst part - these were people who actually had jobs, but just weren't starting as early as they wanted to.

Hey, MJ's death hit him hard ok?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I still have two weeks of finals prep to go before I'm done with this semester of law school. gently caress all of you.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head
Regarding SA advice, I think it's important to seek out work and volunteer and such, but do so to get the type of work you're interested in (or work with the attorneys you want to work with), and don't overextend yourself. I think it's more important to ensure you have all good reviews then to have an extra 50 state review in your file for your review.

One of the most important grown-up lawyer things you can do as an SA is check and respond to emails promptly. If you're given a Blackberry, use it and check it often. It's not because you're that important and it's going to be buzzing all day from partner emails, but there's going to be a couple times during the summer when someone needs to reach you now and it's important to be reachable. (I think a general theme is that during the summer, most of the work you do won't be that important and it won't be hard to do it right, so when you do have the opportunity to prove yourself as reliable/competent, it's important to take advantage of that)

Just because it's a recession it doesn't mean that social events aren't important. No one doubts your legal aptitude, but whether you "fit in" may be an open question. Go to events, enjoy yourself, and try to be a somewhat normal person. I know many of the people at my firm that were no-offered tended to be very introverted, or very competitive/obnoxious types. I'm a rather introverted person myself, and I think it helped me that I did go to most of the social events and made a concerted effort to be more personable and such.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I would add to the SA advice:

Act like a professional. That ends up covering a lot of ground but I don't think I can over-emphasize its importance.

That's the single most important thing I can think of. Other than that, try hard, be nice and use the associate mentor your firm assigns you. Don't ask them stupid jackass questions but you should be able to ask them about what it's really like to work at that firm and why every single firm including yours hemorrhages mid-level and senior associates (do not ask your partner mentor these questions even if your partner mentor seems super nice and says something like "ask me anything you want!").

fake edit:

don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever get drunk. Go to every social event, have a couple of drinks and then go home after an hour or an hour and a half. You'll get a reputation as someone who goes out and is friendly but nothing more and that's exactly what you want. Some firms have more of a going out and getting hammered culture (hi Weill) than others so if you're at one of those you should stay a little longer and have another drink but there's still absolutely no reason to get drunk. Nothing good can come of it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Wait I thought Lykourgos was Grumblefish. WTF is he doing as a prosecutor?

Or am I horribly mistaken?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SWATJester posted:

Grumblefish was a prosecutor

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Is an externship with a state court of appeals research division a "judicial externship" I mean I wrote poo poo for judges.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Grumblefish was a prosecutor

The calls are coming from inside the courthouse!

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

evilweasel posted:

The answer to the question "do you have time to . . . .?" is always yes.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Solomon Grundy posted:

Also if you think the partner has the law wrong, stick to your guns. He or she will appreciate your gumption and determination.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

nm posted:

Fightin' the bad fight, eh?

Enjoy persecuting black people and getting Mexicans deported.

My way of saying congrats

Strange, the first case I worked on (2 years ago) was a white guy who touched countless children and won himself a civil commitment order upon release. On a more amusing note I used that (very graphic) order as my writing sample for firm jobs.

SWATJester posted:

Where else would you have me work? It's a noble office, managing the realm under the learned guidance of honourable judges.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

Also if you think the partner has the law wrong, stick to your guns. He or she will appreciate your gumption and determination.

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

I think that the subordinate attorney should stick to his guns if he thinks the partner is wrong, but the subordinate must have good data to back his position up, and must be very polite and respectful when arguing back. Don't just "stick to your guns" in typical layperson argument mode.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

I think that the subordinate attorney should stick to his guns if he thinks the partner is wrong, but the subordinate must have good data to back his position up, and must be very polite and respectful when arguing back. Don't just "stick to your guns" in typical layperson argument mode.

What are the odds that a summer associate knows the "correct" law? ;)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

What are the odds that a summer associate knows the "correct" law? ;)

I assume because they spent 8 hours reading every detail and the partner is going off memory.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

evilweasel posted:

I assume because they spent 8 hours reading every detail and the partner is going off memory.

The partner more likely having years of experience on cases of that kind and knowing in depth the history of that practice area, as opposed to the summer researching it fresh?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Solomon Grundy posted:

I disagree. You'd rather do amazing work on fewer projects while saying no "to" a few people than spreading yourself too thin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

I disagree. You'd rather do amazing work on fewer projects while saying no "to" a few people than spreading yourself too thin.

We were specifically warned to not take on too much work since doing a bad job on one thing will significantly outweigh having done a lot of things. However, you'd better be able to justify why you're too busy (and they suggested you say "well, I have all these things to do: x,y,z, I don't think I can do an excellent job on all those and this", and let them work out which one you should stop working on.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Lykourgos posted:

Where else would you have me work? It's a noble office, managing the realm under the learned guidance of honourable judges.

Finally, an admission of identity

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Once as a law clerk I did some research and brought my results to the partner who asked for it and he let me finish and said "You sure?"

Being full of gumption myself, I said yes.

"Positive?"

"Yes."

He smiled at me with a weird glint in his eye. "Do you want to bet your job on it?"

poo poo. Can't back down now. "Yes."

Of course I was wrong but he didn't fire me. That guy ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

evilweasel posted:

We were specifically warned to not take on too much work since doing a bad job on one thing will significantly outweigh having done a lot of things. However, you'd better be able to justify why you're too busy (and they suggested you say "well, I have all these things to do: x,y,z, I don't think I can do an excellent job on all those and this", and let them work out which one you should stop working on.
And with the smaller summer classes these days, I assume that summers are going to get hammered with a bunch of work requests.