Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Golem II posted:

it was alright, nothing too mind-blowing.

I'm guessing this was a troll.

Shane's part was incredible, and I think the Berrics has done something pretty important by releasing the content for a reasonable price - with the proceeds helping a young dude kick-start his professional career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I can't seem to fine where you can get the video on the Berric's site. It was there when I looked the other day.

Am I an undeniable moron?

http://theberrics.com/dailyopspost.php?postid=1945

edit: I assume they are still working through their technical difficulties.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 18, 2010

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Spermatic Cord posted:

What size wheels does everyone here skate on? After skating on some 52mm I feel like my heels and ankles will turn to jello if I don't skate anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces.

DELETED posted:

75mm :smug:

Hey "big" wheel buddy.
I generally like wheels around 70-75, give or take a few millimeters depending on shape, durometer, and board they'll be on.
My main rides are currently rocking some coned 71s, and the other has 70mm front, 67/69 inner/outer pre-coned rear. I own a few other 70s, and some 75s and 77s. All in the 80-84a duro range.

What do you ride, DELETED?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I'm on a Rayne Avenger with Randal 180s and 80a Orangatang InHeats, 50° baseplate in the front and a 42° baseplate in the rear for stability and traction. It's a pretty grippy setup. I also have a Kracked Skulls M1 but it's not mounted on anything right now. I really like big soft wheels, since most of the pavement and concrete here is really crappy. It takes a little more energy to get going, but once you do, they hold speed a lot better than smaller wheels. On either of my setups (the Avenger and the M1), the biggest wheels I can run are 75-77mm. The M1 doesn't have the biggest wheel cutouts so the only wheels I can run that big are 77mm Abec11 Strikers since they're sideset. My O'tangs fit but I had to dremel some small reliefs so the lips would clear when turning. If you want some nice, smooth wheels that drift like butter, Strikers are great. Mine were 78a and I could do standup drifts through sharp corners like nothing. I'm kind of on a grippy wheel kick right now, busting slides is fun but locking into a carve as hard as you possibly can is really goddamn fun too.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 19, 2010

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Spermatic Cord posted:

Here's my 7.75 minilogo + indytrucks + bones red + and darkstar 52mm:

7.75" riders unite! Although I think I'll be sizing up to 8" in a few months to give it more of a fair shot.

Also, I think your riser pads are on backwards, it should cover the entire baseplate of the truck rather than sticking out awkwardly.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Mest0r posted:

7.75" riders unite! Although I think I'll be sizing up to 8" in a few months to give it more of a fair shot.

Also, I think your riser pads are on backwards, it should cover the entire baseplate of the truck rather than sticking out awkwardly.

It looks like they're universal risers that can be used on both old school and new school bolt patterns

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006

Mest0r posted:

Ah,:doh: thanks for pointing that out. They're now in the correct position.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DELETED posted:

It looks like they're universal risers that can be used on both old school and new school bolt patterns

No you can see that there is visibly a portion of the trucks that are not being supported by the riser.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Bucket Joneses posted:

No you can see that there is visibly a portion of the trucks that are not being supported by the riser.

Yeah, I didn't notice at first.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gently caress the threads on one of my trucks are entirely hosed up. I don't want to have to buy a tool just to fix the threads... might as well just get new trucks.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

donJonSwan posted:

Shane's part was incredible, and I think the Berrics has done something pretty important by releasing the content for a reasonable price - with the proceeds helping a young dude kick-start his professional career.

no it wasn't. i watched it and it wasn't as great as they were hyping it up to be.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Golem II posted:

no it wasn't. i watched it and it wasn't as great as they were hyping it up to be.

Right on, different tastes I guess.

Just out of curiosity, whose parts/style are you into?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm really big on the skaters from Deathwish, Baker, Anti-hero, Girl, and Creature. A lot of street and bowl skating. There's some other skaters I like not affiliated with any of those like: Joey Brezinski, Justin Brock, Chris Cole, and Mark Gonzales.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Bucket Joneses posted:

gently caress the threads on one of my trucks are entirely hosed up. I don't want to have to buy a tool just to fix the threads... might as well just get new trucks.

If the thread is stripped just wrap some duct-tape or plumbing thread tape round it before you put the nuts back on, they won't shift. That nylock locktite stuff works as well.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

Your local shop should have a re-threader that you can use.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
I broke my speed-wobble cherry bombing a hill near my place tonight. I feel that I'm part of the club now.

"This one's faster than I thought... drat these trucks feel a bit loose, hope I don't get speed wo-OH WHAT THE FU-" *THUMP - SCRAAAAAAPE*
I've got some pink-belly and some bark off my palms to show for it but I'm more pissed I scraped up my nice watch while I was belly-flopping the road. :argh:
Tonight's lesson: Remember your socket wrench.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
gently caress WEST COAST COMPANIES

Does anyone here live in or near CT? Skate Lair is a legendary store around here, with the most bizarre business practices I've ever seen.

quote:

TWB: You’re a good example of the influence of the guy behind the counter.

Well, I won’t back poo poo if it isn’t legit. I don’t care about whoever kickflipped a 30 stair. I’m a grown man, I don’t give a gently caress.

http://business.transworld.net/13384/features/catching-up-with-skate-lairs-erik-munday/

Going to go pick my first board up there today, so excited.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Sounds like you psyched yourself out a bit. What were you riding?

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax

DELETED posted:

Sounds like you psyched yourself out a bit. What were you riding?

I think it was just too fast for me and my limited skill. I'm amazed at how quickly hills here can turn from 'leisurely cruise' to 'hail mary'. I'll go back and conquer it another day :black101:.
I'm just riding a standard hand-me-down Blind board with a set of Bones Reds. I'm considering getting a longboard but I'm sorta skint at the moment and just learning the basics.

Lurch fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 20, 2010

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
Just went skating in our super nice outdoor skatepark here in Linköping, Sweden soo much fun just riding around, hit up a couple of boardslides and grinds to! yay! ;D

http://www.skateboardpark.com/skateboardpark/viewpark.asp?ID=1854

edit: better images here although in Swedish:

http://old.tacky.se/skateboard/spotguide/spotguide_list_spots.asp?view=1&SpotID=987

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Obscuritatem posted:

If the thread is stripped just wrap some duct-tape or plumbing thread tape round it before you put the nuts back on, they won't shift. That nylock locktite stuff works as well.

How will putting duct tape on the threads make it so that the nut will bite? The problem is that the end of the axle has no thread opening for the nut to enter.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

How will putting duct tape on the threads make it so that the nut will bite? The problem is that the end of the axle has no thread opening for the nut to enter.

A while back, I had my threads all shot to hell and no tool to fix them with. What I ended up doing was getting an old pair of wire cutters out of my toolbox, clamping them around the thread groove and twisting.

It took a while, and a load of effort but it did the trick.

Needless to say, I bought a tool with a rethreading portion pretty much right after this.

The cost of a tool will quickly be offset by how much you save on new trucks.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Mincher posted:

[...]
Needless to say, I bought a tool with a rethreading portion pretty much right after this.

The cost of a tool will quickly be offset by how much you save on new trucks.

I've been using this tool for the past couple of years:

http://skate.ly/reflex-utilitool-15759.html

It has everything you'd pretty much want all in one tool. The only thing I don't like is that unlike a wrench-shaped tool, the nuts right under the axle of the trucks are pretty awkward to get into depending on the brand you're using, but that's just a minor complaint.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

DELETED posted:

I'm on a Rayne Avenger with Randal 180s and 80a Orangatang InHeats, 50° baseplate in the front and a 42° baseplate in the rear for stability and traction. It's a pretty grippy setup. I also have a Kracked Skulls M1 but it's not mounted on anything right now. I really like big soft wheels, since most of the pavement and concrete here is really crappy. It takes a little more energy to get going, but once you do, they hold speed a lot better than smaller wheels. On either of my setups (the Avenger and the M1), the biggest wheels I can run are 75-77mm. The M1 doesn't have the biggest wheel cutouts so the only wheels I can run that big are 77mm Abec11 Strikers since they're sideset. My O'tangs fit but I had to dremel some small reliefs so the lips would clear when turning. If you want some nice, smooth wheels that drift like butter, Strikers are great. Mine were 78a and I could do standup drifts through sharp corners like nothing. I'm kind of on a grippy wheel kick right now, busting slides is fun but locking into a carve as hard as you possibly can is really goddamn fun too.

Great setup! I used to have an Avenger (09, W-cave) and I loved it. I rode it with Paris, 42* Randals, and 50/42 Randals and loved them all. For wheels, I rode either 80a Otang InHeats, 77mm 84a Strikers, or 83a Gravity Drifters. Was never a fan of the Drifters, but I love my Otangs and Strikers. Usually now I ride a Fullbag Elise with Indy 215s, and Venom Sidewinders. Really slippy setup, lots of fun at low speeds, but its a challenge to carve hard once I get moving. I just redrilled my slalom deck, a Fullbag Louis Ricard pro model, to have a 24.75" wheelbase and threw the Indys and Sidewinders on there, I'll see how that rides tomorrow. I'm dieing to go skate a good hill... I'm getting bored of my normal skating.
I want to pick up a new deck soon... Going to put 50/35 Randals on the Elise with my In Heats, and then have the new board for slippery fun, but I don't know what I want yet.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yeah, I'm in love with my Avenger, I think it's an '08 from the end of the run before the W-cave. It's actually one of the F2 models... fun tip, if you wait until after Christmas then Rayne usually has an F2 sale, which is just blemished boards laying around they can't sell at full price. I scored my Avenger for about $80, about half of what they normally go for. It's actually a Frankenstein of sorts, it has features from a few different production runs (dark stain, carbon stringers) so it's pretty unique. The only blemishes are a couple bubbles in the fiberglass, a dark smudge on the top, a wheel well isn't cut as deep as the others and the carbon stringers are a little off center. For $80, I'll accept some visual problems, and the wheel well hasn't caused any troubles. The first time I took it down even a mild hill, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it held the road and held speed. It's a fair bit heavier than my Kracked Skulls, and you can definitely tell the added weight helps you hold your momentum longer. The concave really locks you in. You can tell they put some thought into this board, and if I'm remembering correctly, it's the same design Kevin Reimer used to hit ~76mph

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I could see myself owning another Avenger, if I got a good deal on one. Its a really great deck and I miss it, but there are just so many other boards I want to try that I just can't see myself buying another at full price. I put my 50/42 Randals on my Elise this morning, with the rear dewedged to about 34-35, and I'm going to put my In Heats on there once I find my 13mm wrench and some axle nuts. I want to skate a good hill so badly... I don't exactly go fast, I've only gone into the 30s, but local hills are mostly really short and flat. I'm getting much more confident with speed constantly though, and the better I get at sliding the more comfortable I get. Just this week I've learned how to do small quick toeside drifts, just put a hand down and push the back out a little to cut speed, then carve out. It helps a lot since I can't do pendys for some reason, and I suck at colemans. Hands down I'm much better with toeside slides, unless I'm going fast and feel sketchy, then I do heelside shutdowns. I don't know any skaters better than myself, and it gets dull trying to push myself and learn everything on my own without anyone better to help and motivate me. Sometimes I kick myself because I have the balls to go 40+ on a snowboard, while doing hard carves, yet I can barely go over 30 on a skateboard I feel really natural on. Its all mental, I'm sure. I'm hoping one day I'll kick this mental block and then finally be able to skate to the best of my (physical) ability.

Weather is looking great today and I'm stoked to ride the Elise like this, and try out the redrilled slalom board for sliding

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 21, 2010

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

donJonSwan posted:

I thought it was good, but it didn't really blow me away. I think I was expecting 3 minutes of NBDs because it's the first time someone tried to sell a single video part online. It's a big milestone and I was hoping for an impact like Guy Mariano in Mouse or Mike Mo in Fully Flared. Maybe I'm just jaded in my old age and video parts don't have the same magic they used to.

When I see how Berra threatens people who post the video, it seems like a homegrown version of the RIAA. In an industry that has always made a mockery of copyright law, I really don't want to see skate videos protected in this way.

Rygar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 21, 2010

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
I read this entire thread, and a big thanks go to all those who contributed! I'm a 25 year-old that'll be getting back in the game after a 6-year hiatus. It's nice to see so many riders getting back into it after a long break, too. Why did I stop? I met a girl, of course! (we're getting married in 27 days actually)

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to get back into this considering there's some nice quiet spots right near my workplace, so on my lunch I'll be able to just zip down the street and work on my flat land. I remember before I quit that I could pop perfect and high heelflips but could never get my back foot on for some reason. My kickflips were mediocre at best, but hey, I had a lot of fun learning.

I see a lot of skaters are rocking Nike skate shoes these days. Are they pretty drat durable? Back when I skated I had a nice pair of Vans that got completely worn to poo poo in no time at all.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar posted:

[...]

When I see how Berra threatens people who post the video, it seems like a homegrown version of the RIAA. In an industry that has always made a mockery of copyright law, I really don't want to see skate videos protected in this way.

I worst part about attacking NSB.org is that it's not even a skateboarding focused blog/forum, it's a sneaker collecting forum where most people who visit don't even skateboard. It would be different if Transworld posted the link on their website, for instance. The Berrics was pretty awesome when they were just focused on putting out great, original skateboarding content, but with the launch of the Berrics Unified it seems that Berra wants me to buy his poo poo and the other products he supports or else I'll destroy skateboarding.

Enough about that though, I thought Shane's part was pretty good, it definitely doesn't have a 'raw' feeling I see when I watch some other skaters but drat it's pretty crazy to see flip tricks out of rails.

E:

teamgod posted:

I see a lot of skaters are rocking Nike skate shoes these days. Are they pretty drat durable? Back when I skated I had a nice pair of Vans that got completely worn to poo poo in no time at all.

Nike puts out some good shoes, but a lot of them (well maybe just the dunks) are pretty expensive since you're really just paying for the swoosh. However Janoski's pro model gets a lot of use from the Nike SB team from what I've noticed.

mes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 21, 2010

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Dropped in for the first time today, thank gently caress for that.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli

Mest0r posted:

Nike puts out some good shoes, but a lot of them (well maybe just the dunks) are pretty expensive since you're really just paying for the swoosh. However Janoski's pro model gets a lot of use from the Nike SB team from what I've noticed.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously looking for a good pair of shoes that won't destroy my wallet. Know of any low(er) end shoes that are still great for skating?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

teamgod posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously looking for a good pair of shoes that won't destroy my wallet. Know of any low(er) end shoes that are still great for skating?

You might take a look at 6pm.com, they sell some pretty cheap shoes sometimes if you are comfortable acquiring them this way. I have a wider foot so I find it hard to mail order things. Most shoes are a bit too narrow so I have to try them on.

This link narrows things down to men's skate shoes: http://www.6pm.com/search/shoes/fil...oLiveDate/desc/

They have had some pretty good deals in the past. Example I got two pairs of Dekline shoes for $15.00 a pair about a year ago. I didn't like the soles though, they were not as grippy as I would like.

Edit: It's kind of funny how Nike has carved out their niche. I was kind of out of the loop when they first got involved with skate shoes but I remember thinking "Good luck with that Nike, hahaha" :smug:

I thought they wouldn't be accepted at all... They showed me I guess.

boydx posted:

Dropped in for the first time today, thank gently caress for that.

Hi Five!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 22, 2010

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Hi Five!

:hf:

Ran straight back up to do it again, can't believe how easy it is.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

teamgod posted:

I don't really have and brands/styles I'd recommend in particular, just scope out some the sale pages one online skateshops and pick out what you think you'd like, it'd be even better to go try stuff on. Either way, if you want to push out durability for your shoe, you can always buy Shoe Goo (an adhesive) and apply it on the areas where there's wear on the material to prevent tearing. Of course, eventually the soles will lose grip/bust open from use.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

teamgod posted:

I went to Nordstrom Rack last week and got two pairs of nice Vans for 60 bucks total.

Jeephand
Nov 5, 2009

teamgod posted:

I get Vans at Kohl's. I regularly find legit skate shoes there for 19.99. I got some Johnny Laytons mids now and they're holding up great.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I went skating Dunblane for a couple of hours this morning, but it's a million degrees here right now and too hot to skate for long.
I did find the mythical Bathgate miniramp:

It's 6ft, metal, and the plates are raising a bit in places. It's a bit sketchy.
You could fry eggs on that fuckin' thing today. I don't know if it's painted red or just glowing.

There's a not bad looking BMX track right next to it too.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I dropped in on a mini-ramp today, inexplicably lost my balance on the flat, and broke my loving ankle.

God. Dammit.

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009
Edging ever closer to getting my 360 flips back, can't wait to finally nail them..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Loads of college deadlines at the minute so I've not managed to get out much.

Tried to get kickflips back today but still not quite there. I'm over them, they're flipping good, my back foot is connecting but I just can't get my front foot back in on time.

I'll try again soon.

For any of you ever thinking of visiting Dundee (Scotland), get your arse up to Dudhope park.

Here is a wee vid (i'm not in it) from last summer to show you what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGlWItBrb8&playnext_from=TL&videos=aLBI-BQGFYs