Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I was trying to explain to my friend what black metal sounds like and I couldn't really come up with a decent idea. Blast beats, Tremelo picking, screaming. Yes, but every metal genre has that. So, what song or band do you think epitomizes the genre of black metal?

I think if I talked to my friend again I would just point him to Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger and let the song do the talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Burzum - War

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

My intro was the first two tracks of Emperor's Anthems. Atmospheric, an owl hooting, then a bunch of cheesy synth that sounded like a gay power metal band, followed by a wall of insane noise that took a long time to understand.
"So this is called black metal?"
"Yup."
"...woah."

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just got the new Countess album a couple days ago and it's good. It picks up where Blazing left off and that's all I could ever ask for. The shirt I got is crazy euro sizes and doesn't fit me too well :(

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

I'm crossposting some shameless self-promotion from the stoner/doom/sludge thread, since the show spans both genres.

Anyone residing in or near Stockholm should come see us open for black metal legends Ofermod tonight at The Cave in Sundbyberg.

As an aside, we'll have a few copies of the sphinx compilation for sale, if you've been put off by shipping costs.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Lightning Swords of Death album, Extra Dimensional Wound, has leaked and it's every bit as good as I thought it would be after seeing them with Behemoth this past winter. US underground black metal scene representing!

Click here for the full 368x369 image.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NicktheBishop posted:

My intro was the first two tracks of Emperor's Anthems. Atmospheric, an owl hooting, then a bunch of cheesy synth that sounded like a gay power metal band, followed by a wall of insane noise that took a long time to understand.
"So this is called black metal?"
"Yup."
"...woah."

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of peoples intro to black metal was Emperor. I got handed a burned disc of Emperor's IX Equilibrium as my first black metal CD. I let it sit around for a couple of months not really interested.

Then one day I was bored, smoked a joint and popped it in. I was blown away and it's been great finding new bands ever since.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The new Lightning Swords of Death album, Extra Dimensional Wound, has leaked and it's every bit as good as I thought it would be after seeing them with Behemoth this past winter. US underground black metal scene representing!

I never heard of these guys before and I just checked out their myspace. Thank you for posting about them, they rock.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

lordblytzkrieg posted:

So, what song or band do you think epitomizes the genre of black metal?

Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid always works for me as an example to others. Although it doesn't touch upon the Blast Beat aspect, I dont believe Black Metal is as rooted in Blast Beats alone. A lot of people on the outside like to look at Black Metal as the the "fastest, satanic, heaviest kind of music" which is why I think its better to give some other examples, rather then putting on Gorgoroth - Pentagram for them. I say For All Tid really is an over all example of how Black Metal initially spawned in Synth, Scream Vocals, Fast guitar, and lyrics pertaining to Nature / European History.

So I say play a few songs for your friend, so he can understand the spawning of a variation of Black Metal around the same time. Play for him something off of ... Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, Darkthrone - Transylvania Hunger, Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid, Burzum self titled, Gorgoroth - Pentagram. I think that covers the fast, the blast beats, the synth, and the occasional satanic element. Bonus points for giving him Moonblood - Blut und Krieg.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Plasma1010 posted:

Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid always works for me as an example to others. Although it doesn't touch upon the Blast Beat aspect, I dont believe Black Metal is as rooted in Blast Beats alone. A lot of people on the outside like to look at Black Metal as the the "fastest, satanic, heaviest kind of music" which is why I think its better to give some other examples, rather then putting on Gorgoroth - Pentagram for them. I say For All Tid really is an over all example of how Black Metal initially spawned in Synth, Scream Vocals, Fast guitar, and lyrics pertaining to Nature / European History.

I can't disagree with this more, considering the question is what epitomizes black metal. Dimmu was not, is not currently, and will never be the epitome of black metal. I understand the concept of them serving as an introduction to extreme metal (perhaps an extreme-metal-lite, so to speak); but Dimmu is nowhere near the epitome. Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Darkthrone's Under a Funeral Moon, and Ulver's Nattens Madrigal--for example--could all be mentioned. Or for later black metal, Satanic Warmaster's Strength and Honour or Peste Noire's La Sanie des siècles.

quote:

I say For All Tid really is an over all example of how Black Metal initially spawned in Synth

No.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I keep meaning to check these guys out, thanks for the reminder (that's a retarded name though)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Enthroned/Shining tour sort of announced. (minus dates/locations).

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138826

Why blabbermouth doesn't say WHICH shining (swe or nor) is beyond me. (I think it's SWE)

Also, rumor has it d666 is also on this bill.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

thepitgoddess posted:

Enthroned/Shining tour sort of announced. (minus dates/locations).

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138826

Why blabbermouth doesn't say WHICH shining (swe or nor) is beyond me. (I think it's SWE)

Also, rumor has it d666 is also on this bill.

The South American leg gets Gorgoroth, the European leg gets Shining, but it doesn't say who's supporting the North American leg :(

I mean, Destroyer 666 is great, but I'd love to see them backed by either Gorgoroth or Shining.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

QPZIL posted:

The South American leg gets Gorgoroth, the European leg gets Shining, but it doesn't say who's supporting the North American leg :(

I mean, Destroyer 666 is great, but I'd love to see them backed by either Gorgoroth or Shining.

I got a little ahead of myself. Shining SWE is also rumored to be on this, I think.
This is a sick tour, but I can just see the visa issues now!

Seriously, there has to be a more effective way to get bands here.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

Seriously, there has to be a more effective way to get bands here.

The problem is the strict US immigration/visa system. Specifically it's because bands (and their touring staff) from abroad, no matter how small and unlikely to turn a profit, must apply for work visas to play professionally. Crossing the red tape is much harder for smaller record companies or self-represented outfits. But I suppose if the US want to keep the darkies out they have to build higher and higher walls.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I thought we had a whole other visa category for touring musicians?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Volume posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of peoples intro to black metal was Emperor.

Nightside Eclipse was my first black CD unless the necro hordes are willing to admit Samael's Ceremony of Opposites is equally grim

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

IRQ posted:

I thought we had a whole other visa category for touring musicians?

The NYTimes has a good article explaining the recent changes, and why they are causing more problems for foreign acts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/arts/music/17visa.html

You shouldn't need a login to read it all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Volume posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of peoples intro to black metal was Emperor.

Yep, mine was IX Equilibrium.

To this day I still pronounce it "Ix Equilibrium" because that's how my friend wrote it on the CD-R :shobon:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Morbid Florist posted:

Nightside Eclipse was my first black CD unless the necro hordes are willing to admit Samael's Ceremony of Opposites is equally grim

Anthems was my first, followed by Satyricons dark medieval times.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

My first black metal record was Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky, with Immortal's Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism second.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

Not sure how you define grimness, but it is definitely a black metal album.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah, Emperor seems to be a very common gateway for some reason. My first taste was The Acclamation of Bonds off Limewire...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ultraviolence123 posted:

My first black metal record was Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky, with Immortal's Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism second.

Mine was a taped copy of Bathory's Blood Fire Death, made from a buddy's vinyl back when it was a fresh release, in the days when it was home taping that was killing music.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

Samael's Ceremony of Opposites is equally grim

That is a drat fine black metal album. Baphomet's Throne is a tune and a half.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I just ebay'd Evilfeast's Funeral Sorcery. Should be here late next week, and I am really excited for it. One of the best new-ish black metal acts IMO.

Thanks to Plasma1010 (I think...) for the recommendation weeks ago.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Not really black metal, per se, I guess, but have you guys heard Sui Generis Umbra's stuff? I just came across them, and I'm in love with this particular piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR-VaDBcHE

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Whoa

I thought SGU were a gothy electro-industrial band, never knew they did... er, whatever that is

e; regarding actual black metal, Otargos have a new album slated for an Aug 30th release date. This is a thing you should be excited about.

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 29, 2010

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
gently caress, wrong metal thread.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 29, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

I just ebay'd Evilfeast's Funeral Sorcery.

If you like it, check out his latest album Lost Horizons of Wisdom next. I personally think it is his best.

Here is one of the tracks off the album ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEefW_XViP8

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 29, 2010

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Caucasus Belli posted:

Whoa

I thought SGU were a gothy electro-industrial band, never knew they did... er, whatever that is

e; regarding actual black metal, Otargos have a new album slated for an Aug 30th release date. This is a thing you should be excited about.

Wow, I'm loving their new stuff on their Myspace. I love the sound of tremelo/cascading guitars in the video clip. Not sure if that's the correct way to describe it, but whatever.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Plasma1010 posted:

So I say play a few songs for your friend, so he can understand the spawning of a variation of Black Metal around the same time. Play for him something off of ... Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, Darkthrone - Transylvania Hunger, Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid, Burzum self titled, Gorgoroth - Pentagram. I think that covers the fast, the blast beats, the synth, and the occasional satanic element. Bonus points for giving him Moonblood - Blut und Krieg.

You noob. It's Under the Sign og the Black Mark.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
btw in case you live under a rock and missed them somehow here is some Otargos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPDK6Gj9eTc

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Why didn't any of you jerk motherfuckers tell me that there was another Ruins album out? I am enraged.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Fuckin' MACES. How do they work?

I think we should post our blackest, metallest shirts. This one is mine. I can't find a good picture. When I ordered it online, I was like, "Yeah. That looks pretty wicked." Oh, but when I finally saw it up close and personal, it was 10 times more :black101:

I showed it to my friend, who loves his metal and is pretty warped, and he was like, "Dude, holy gently caress! That's fuckin' scary." It is truly magical, granting me the enchantments of +10 Personal Space Radius and +3 Stun.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Here is my favorite shirt: http://brightbluemoon.com/wwss.html :3: It has rhinestones oh God how can you say no to rhinestones. (You can find the best poo poo at Goodwill, I swear.)

But seriously, I just saw a show by this local BM band in Portland, OR, and bought a t-shirt from them: http://www.myspace.com/maryshelleymetal . They play moody, harsh BM, and they even have a cellist, who added a lot to the music. Their shirts had their logo against a backdrop of an evergreen forest. I recommend them highly if you ever get a chance to see them.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

corpsed posted:

Not really black metal, per se, I guess, but have you guys heard Sui Generis Umbra's stuff? I just came across them, and I'm in love with this particular piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR-VaDBcHE

This is strangely the most relaxing thing I have ever heard, it got rid of a tense headache I didn't realise I had.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Caucasus Belli posted:

btw in case you live under a rock and missed them somehow here is some Otargos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPDK6Gj9eTc

These guys are playing at Hellfest, looking forwards to seeing them there!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

New Nachtmystium is really good. There are some weird rear end tracks that sound 80's synth rock-ish, but its still really heavy and a good metal album. The one traditional black metal song they do have is loving amazing as well.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Why didn't any of you jerk motherfuckers tell me that there was another Ruins album out? I am enraged.

If you mean as in October of '09 new, then yes. There is a new Ruins album out called, Front The Final Foes and it's delicious! Otherwise, 2010 is turning out to be a good year for black metal with releases from Watain, Darkthrone, Avsky, Lightning Swords of Death and Triptykon.

Oh yeah, a few of us in the metal thread have declared the new Countess album, Burning Scripture, 2010 metal album of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead56k
Sep 23, 2009

the seduction of america's youth
Ugh, just can't get into Nachtmystium. I even listened to the new Twilight album as well, and thought it was horrible and boring. My girlfriend thought i was listening to bro metal.

I keep reading great reviews about them, but i just don't dig. about anyone in the same boat?