Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

YETI??????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE5jxdXoLaY

AND THE YET-TAY!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pneub posted:

Hall NEEDS to pull a poster of this screenshot out of a box during a match some time before he dies (while making the face in the portrait).

not quite bored enough to animate this.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

DJExile posted:

AND THE YET-TAY!!

Favorite pre-NWO WCW clip. YE-TAY

Reading up on the Black Scorpion. gently caress, that was dumb.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

is it just me, or in almost all old WCW clips does it look like there's a thin haze of smoke throughout the arena?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Wasn't that pre-NWO? I have no recollection of Hogan wearing black and white prior to joining the New World Order. And now I just reminded myself that that was 15 years ago and I am old. WCW is evil.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Lamuella posted:

is it just me, or in almost all old WCW clips does it look like there's a thin haze of smoke throughout the arena?

There often is. Smoke from all that fancy pyro, and occasionally-inadequate ventilation. You still see the same thing occasionally on WWE, but it's pretty rare these days.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

DannoMack posted:

Wasn't that pre-NWO? I have no recollection of Hogan wearing black and white prior to joining the New World Order. And now I just reminded myself that that was 15 years ago and I am old. WCW is evil.

The first time Hogan wore black, it was because the Dungeon of Doom and the Giant had turned him over to the Dark Side by shaving his mustache and hurting his immortal body, even causing him to think Sting had turned on him (because Luger already had, even though his gimmick change was just over-enthusiasm rather than a Saturday morning cartoon monster like the others). Then he was the meat in a Giant/Yeti sandwich, the most dignified visual in wrestling I'd ever seen (at the time). Then he ripped off all the black on PPV and there was yellow and red underneath. I find myself dumber now having typed that out. Jesus gently caress.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dario Delfino posted:

:psypop:

Mustache superpowers vs. HoF ring superpowers... I honestly can't decide which is worse.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I probably need a better hobby...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

Also, a better language.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Mustache superpowers vs. HoF ring superpowers... I honestly can't decide which is worse.

Congratulations, you just booked the next TNA PPV main event.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

MrBling posted:

I want your WCW ><

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I was re-reading The Death Of WCW book recently and its hilarious how similar the situations with the dying days of WCW are and how TNA is currently.

Hogan pulling his ratings tricks (Making sure he's in the highest rated segments, blaming ratings on the workhorse midcarders), Russo pulling his excuses and same old bullshit (citing burnout, needing to relocate, blaming everyone and everything but himself), Bischoff being brought in to bail water out of the sinking ship (he was fired from WCW at one point and brought back to try to save it), Ted Turner shoveling money into the company blindly because he was a wrestling mark until he was taken out of power and couldn't bail them out anymore (Which Dixie is currently on step one of), blowing money on talent that won't help ratings, not advertising PPV's at all in advance or even giving a match listing and then complaining about buyrates, hotshotting belts until they mean nothing and no one cares who has them and so many more. The fall of WCW really is nearly exactly where TNA is currently at.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
There is one major difference. WCW took under 2 years to sink, TNA has been doing this poo poo since 2006.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

There is one major difference. WCW took under 2 years to sink, TNA has been doing this poo poo since 2006.
THERE'S NO GROUND FLOOR IN HELL!

</Cassidy>

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

AND THE YET-TAY!!
Did anyone in WCW actually know what a Yeti is?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I posted:

Did anyone in WCW actually know what a Yeti is?

The entire Dungeon of Doom seems like a story that someone's 8-year-old kid came up with after looking at their friend's DnD manuals once then applying it to WCW.

I can't believe they actually used pretty drat competent wrestlers on that poo poo. I didn't remember Earthquake, Meng, and Beefcake were in on this nonsense.

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS
I think you know your company sucks when your own talent is telling your audience on live television to switch over to the competition.

You've probably all seen it, so there's no point in posting the Scott Steiner Monday Nitro promo where he just completely buries WCW and Ric Flair for like a good 20 minutes.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

joshtothemaxx posted:

I didn't remember Earthquake, Meng, and Beefcake were in on this nonsense.

They made Earthquake alter his tiger tattoo into a shark. He was Shark Boy's unenthusiastic uncle. He did cut a nice "I'm a man, not a fish" promo once, though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EricCrapton posted:

I think you know your company sucks when your own talent is telling your audience on live television to switch over to the competition.

You've probably all seen it, so there's no point in posting the Scott Steiner Monday Nitro promo where he just completely buries WCW and Ric Flair for like a good 20 minutes.
I thought he said that people changed the channel whenever they saw Flair, not that people should change the channel to the WWF.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dario Delfino posted:

They made Earthquake alter his tiger tattoo into a shark. He was Shark Boy's unenthusiastic uncle. He did cut a nice "I'm a man, not a fish" promo once, though.

I thought he changed his tattoo of his own volition. Though I remember loving that promo.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

TL posted:

I thought he changed his tattoo of his own volition.

Wiki confirms that. I was going off memory.

I've been GISing for a few minutes now, and I can't find any pics of Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker as the Leprechaun. Don't even remember what he looks like. Anyone have a pic or screencap handy? I wanted a visual comparison to Hornswoggle.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dario Delfino posted:

Wiki confirms that. I was going off memory.

I've been GISing for a few minutes now, and I can't find any pics of Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker as the Leprechaun. Don't even remember what he looks like. Anyone have a pic or screencap handy? I wanted a visual comparison to Hornswoggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1-kbwuOJS0

There isnt really a lot of footage of him, but I found some in the archives.

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS

LividLiquid posted:

I thought he said that people changed the channel whenever they saw Flair, not that people should change the channel to the WWF.

Does it really matter? He's a WCW employee pointing out how completely lovely WCW is on live WCW programming.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Ironically enough, throughout 1999 and 2000 WCW would traditionally see a ratings spike during Flair segments.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the more I think about it, the more I decide that WCW is perfectly summed up by the Chris Jericho Action Figure story.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lamuella posted:

the more I think about it, the more I decide that WCW is perfectly summed up by the Chris Jericho Action Figure story.

Mind explaining for the rest of us?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

404GoonNotFound posted:

Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classicwrestling&action=display&thread=102800

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classicwrestling&action=display&thread=102800
Jesus, I'm amazed Jericho didn't kill anybody.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Shortly before Jericho left the company, his fiancee went to a toy store to pick up a Jericho/Malenko action figure set, since it would be Jericho's last WCW action figure. It rang up as a Hogan/Sting set, giving Hogan credit (and residuals) for moving more merchandise.

EDIT: gently caress, etc.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 24, 2010

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Moose Bigelow posted:

"WCW rigged the polls on their website so that if people voted for Kidman/Rey for example as MOTN the vote would actually go to Hogan/Sid. Hogan used this as evidence that Billy Kidman "couldn't headline a wrestling show at a flea market"."

So even the TNA Top 10 poll is a rehash?
This. loving. Company :psypop:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 24, 2010

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

At this point I have to believe that someone is behind the scenes in TNA reviewing old dirtsheet stories and tapes from WCW and trying to re-create it as closely as possible.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Well in Russo's case he doesn't need to review anything because he's only capable of doing the exact same things over and over again on his own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moose Bigelow posted:

Holy Jesus loving Christ.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Moose Bigelow posted:

I read about that. That seems to be the hardest thing for me to believe just because of the lunacy of it. But then again, WCW, so I don't know what to think.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Moose Bigelow posted:

How did I never hear about this? HOLY poo poo that is incredible.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

quote:

• A fan dressed as Sting ran into a match and the commentators, so used to not being told about changes to shows, assumed it was the real Sting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dylar Addict posted:

quote:

• Terry Funk and Chris Candido ended up having a match that saw them end up in a horse stable. Terry Funk was almost killed when a horse bucked him.
Funk shouted "You ****ing horse!!! I'll kick your rear end!!""

Thus proving once more that Terry Funk is the greatest person alive.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endorph posted:

Thus proving once more that Terry Funk is the greatest person alive.

But did the horse stay out of prison? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

at the age of 55, Funk wrestled a 60 minute time limit draw against that horse, in a match that saw him moonsault off a 16 foot balcony