Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Mincher posted:

For any of you ever thinking of visiting Dundee (Scotland), get your arse up to Dudhope park.

Here is a wee vid (i'm not in it) from last summer to show you what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGlWItBrb8&playnext_from=TL&videos=aLBI-BQGFYs

Bloody hell, I didn't know Dundee was hiding that, I've not been up for a few years. Amazing looking park.

Talking of the East coast, I just want to pimp the talents of my wee cousin Bobby, he's a great skater and a good guy who is currently hooked up with Bawbags and Focus.

Keep an eye out for him if you're around Dundee and Fife. Nowadays he's sporting a nice big facial scar and most likely a really fancy looking pair of free underpants :scotland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Skating with other people is without a doubt the only way to get better. Even just sharing one deck between three people is amazing. This has been a skateboarding PSA.

My friend candidly filmed me while we were reminiscing about high school and bullshitting and he actually got a decent line of me doing nose manual > shove it followed by a varial flip. Boo yah.

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Skating with other people is without a doubt the only way to get better. Even just sharing one deck between three people is amazing. This has been a skateboarding PSA.

My friend candidly filmed me while we were reminiscing about high school and bullshitting and he actually got a decent line of me doing nose manual > shove it followed by a varial flip. Boo yah.

So post it already.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Maybe later tonight after I'm done sandpapering my shoe.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I lied, he only got the nose manual > shove followed by another weak shove.

*rides away on Nash board*

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
You were rolling pretty quick during the nose manual.

Props for posting the footage, hopefully it will get more of us off our asses to get something up.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This kind of segues to something that I've wanted to bring up regarding footage. It seems documenting your skateboarding is kind of a generational thing. As an old man skater (34) when I was coming up it wasn't that easy to record and edit footage so it was not that common. My old man stance on the issue is that it takes away time from actually enjoying skating and makes things more stressful. Also it seems a bit vain. Of course if someone records me doing something I'm interested in seeing it, it's just that I wouldn't go out of my way to document things with a camera.

These days it seems that filming goes hand in hand with riding a skateboard and that's kind of weird to me.

Tell me how old and out of touch I am. I'm not discounting or dumping on anyone and I enjoy seeing people skate, it's just that I don't seem to personally want to take the time to film things. Maybe if I thought I was going to be a pro or something, I don't know...

VVV Cool! I didn't realize http://skate.ly/ was goon run. I have seen the site linked to several times in this thread. Go figure that the best looking web page I've seen for a shop is goony.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 25, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I sort of look at filming as an extension of the artistic outlet, it also forces you to go a little bigger or try a little harder then you would otherwise. Which isn't really a bad thing.

Filming every session does feel a bit vein though, totally agree. I guess it all comes down to the intentions behind it.

Off topic from filming, anyone looking to support a Goon run online skateshop should check out Rygar's SA Mart Megathread. He's got a great selection and excellent customer service.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This kind of segues to something that I've wanted to bring up regarding footage. It seems documenting your skateboarding is kind of a generational thing. As an old man skater (34) when I was coming up it wasn't that easy to record and edit footage so it was not that common. My old man stance on the issue is that it takes away time from actually enjoying skating and makes things more stressful. Also it seems a bit vain. Of course if someone records me doing something I'm interested in seeing it, it's just that I wouldn't go out of my way to document things with a camera.

I'm just going to buy a Flip and put it on a gorilla pod. When you're skating by yourself you can just set up a camera at a spot and skate without bothering it. Then you cut down the footage later and look at what looked good and what looked Totally Whack.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I loved skating, but I've never been able to find anyone consistent to skate with - so for me it's been on again/off again for.. poo poo, over fifteen years? Every time I'd find someone who was really into it, they'd quit/move/whatever within a year, leaving me to skate by myself in some empty parking lot at night. I'd quickly grow bored, quit for a year or two, then meet up with someone who was looking to get back into it.

The last time I skated seriously was probably three years ago, when I met this gay dude who really loving loved skating, and his enthusiasm for it got me so stoked every time we went out. My town had gone through a lot of skate shops and we finally had one that opened a park, we'd go skate there like 4-5 times a week and every day I was learning something new. I had never really had the opportunity to skate transition before, but after a couple of days of getting comfortable on it my mind was blown wide open. Up until that point I had mainly skated ledges and rails and had long since stagnated, I had a large bag of tricks I could pull off every try, but was utterly incapable of learning anything new. At the park there was this 4' quarter pipe that I'd think about whenever I wasn't there, coming up with poo poo to try on my next visit. I never knew the name for half the tricks I pulled, I'd just think to myself, 'Okay, nollie backside shuvit into switch tall stall, front side 180 out? That'd be pretty cool..' and within a couple of tries I'd pull it off.

I was 27 years old and had never felt more creative or capable.

Then my friend got cancer, and was soon far to weak to be able to skate - breaking his hand and then his ankle within a couple of weeks of each other due to his cancer treatment. The park closed down months later, and I once again I found myself skating alone in some empty parking lot at night. Once again, I quit. These last three years have involved a lot of growing up. My wife and I had our first child and we needed to move to a smaller town where we could afford a house. I'm twenty-five pounds heavier, have a lawn to mow, bills to pay, and no friends. I'm a grown up I guess, and skateboarding was just something I did when I was a kid, in another town - in another life.

Until, uh, a week ago.

Here we go again. :unsmith:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Does anyone know how much of a height difference there is between Venture Highs and Lows?

DEO3 posted:

My wife and I had our first child and we needed to move to a smaller town where we could afford a house. I'm twenty-five pounds heavier, have a lawn to mow, bills to pay, and no friends. I'm a grown up I guess, and skateboarding was just something I did when I was a kid, in another town - in another life.

Aside from having a family, this sounds loving Awful. Go skating every day.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 26, 2010

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

These days it seems that filming goes hand in hand with riding a skateboard and that's kind of weird to me.

Tell me how old and out of touch I am. I'm not discounting or dumping on anyone and I enjoy seeing people skate, it's just that I don't seem to personally want to take the time to film things. Maybe if I thought I was going to be a pro or something, I don't know...

VVV Cool! I didn't realize http://skate.ly/ was goon run. I have seen the site linked to several times in this thread. Go figure that the best looking web page I've seen for a shop is goony.

I found it helps if you don't have anyone above your skill level to skate with, everyone I know doesn't have as much experience as I do. I set up a camera and recorded myself trying to do coleman slides. After I reviewed the footage I saw that I wasn't getting low enough. Once I did that I was laying 'em down with ease.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does anyone know how much of a height difference there is between Venture Highs and Lows?

I'm not sure of the exact measurements but there's roughly a quarter inch difference between them.

I can't wait until all my coursework is submitted Friday and I can go skate non-stop.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Had to get out of the bike path in order to avoid two old pedestrian ladies (grrr), my Bennet kingpin stuck into the curb and now I'm looking at one week stop because of the pain on the right side of the body (bruises and all the rest, can't even fully lift right leg). Oh well.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

maxmars posted:

Had to get out of the bike path in order to avoid two old pedestrian ladies (grrr), my Bennet kingpin stuck into the curb and now I'm looking at one week stop because of the pain on the right side of the body (bruises and all the rest, can't even fully lift right leg). Oh well.

I'm getting loving sick of these three old ladies who are constantly walking on the bike path near my work who get in my way and scream at me THIS IS FOR PEDESTRIANS ONLY

gently caress you old ladies, you're in the bike path and I had a chat with police officers recently and I'm allowed to skate either path as I see drat fit.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I almost ran over a chihuahua once, stupid bitch just let her little rear end dog run around the path with the leash just dragging on the ground. I should have taken it out.

I will say it's fun to sneak up on people on the local bike paths, my setup is insanely quiet. They usually don't hear me until I'm within an arm's reach.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I've had bikers try and spit on me when I've skated on the bike path.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Sirkus posted:

I've had bikers try and spit on me when I've skated on the bike path.

lol wtf? id like to see a biker try this on me, and no this is not a gbs tough guy post its just a wtf are you doing I will throw my board in your wheel-post

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I sincerely doubt anyone actually tried to spit on him.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

I wouldn't be so quick to doubt. I skate along a cycle path and have had cyclists shout at me to go away, with one dude even stopping and getting off his bike to yell at me.

All these cyclists are middle management, highly stressed, hypocritical fuckers who will complain about drivers' attitudes to cyclists but in turn dish out the same rage to anyone who dares clutter their cycle path.

I should say that this cycle path is a highly pedestrianised riverside walk as well, so they should be more considerate.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3jdulBUd4

Seriously. I skated by, he stopped turned around and tried to spit on me. The girl behind me on her bike caught up to me at the light and tripped out at how hosed it was.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Where the gently caress do you guys live that people can't loving Chill Out?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I worked on the Red Bull Illume project when it was in Minneapolis and we were putting up these big picture boxes on the stone arch bridge. Since it was partially obstructing the bike paths all the loving rear end in a top hat bikers in the Twin Cities got their poo poo all bunched up.

Of the course of a week they would spit on them all the time as they biked by. They yelled phrases such as "GET OFF MY BRIDGE" and in the middle of the night a biker with a sledge hammer biked by and slammed it through the face of one of the boxes.

For reference the Illume project showcases action sports photography and the boxes the photos are in are big black metal boxes with glass on two sides with huge photographs illuminated within them. The loving dude slammed a sledge hammer through a huge glass face and it had to be replaced.

I ride my bicycle a lot but a lot of them are arrogant assholes who think they're involved in some higher power movement.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, holy poo poo. I ride my board on a bike/pedestrian trail all the time and I have never even gotten a dirty look.

Then again maybe it's because I'm an old guy on a longboard, and not a "young punk" doing ollies down the trail. For some reason young kids on street boards tend to be treated like hoodlums, always have, always will.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I love knowing how to pump, and having a board that can do it well. I can get up around 20 on flat land, which means I like to chase bikers down the trail. I let them pass me, kick as fast as I can (~12-15mph if there's no wind) and then start pumping. I can hold that speed for a good distance, but it's a lot of work. It's funny to watch them turn around and realize there's a skateboard keeping up with them. Never really had a problem with bikers, except those Lance Armstrong wannabes in jerseys and spandex. Most of those guys are self-important pricks in my experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been working on pumping too and getting pretty good at it on the KS board. The new Khiro bushings made a big difference. I'm thinking about using my flat longboard as a pumping board since I can get over the front trucks better, I'm going to experiment with my bushing kit to find the best setup.......Are harder or softer bushings better for pumping? Maybe harder in front and soft in the back?

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009
Here's a few pics of me and boydx when we started out again about two weeks ago

The start of a kickflip.

boydx's tasty 360 pop shuv-its.

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

What happens when your hardware is 5 years old and you hit it too hard :(

We're progressing really well since we both hadn't been on a board in about 5 years :)

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I'm not saying that all cyclists are dicks, most of them are great (pedestrians too) but there is a certain brand of businessmen cyclist commuter that likes to rage harder with every pump of a pedal.

I find them hilarious, mostly.

Those pics look great, shame about the truck busting! Also, is there a Lidl in the world that doesn't have a great flatland spot near it?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

leica posted:

I've been working on pumping too and getting pretty good at it on the KS board. The new Khiro bushings made a big difference. I'm thinking about using my flat longboard as a pumping board since I can get over the front trucks better, I'm going to experiment with my bushing kit to find the best setup.......Are harder or softer bushings better for pumping? Maybe harder in front and soft in the back?

Typically, you would want softer in the front and harder in the rear. Going even further, you generally want your bottom bushing (between baseplate and hanger) to be harder than your top bushing (between the hanger and kingpin nut). I prefer a floppy front truck with a rear truck that has a lot of rebound for pumping. You can swing the nose around faster, and kind of drive off of the rebound from the rear truck. You want your trucks loose all around, but you want them looser in the front. It's kind of tricky on a KS, but ideally your front foot will be right on top of the baseplate. The closer you can get your back foot to the back truck the better, but whatever is comfortable will work. Bend those knees and really put your weight into it. You should feel the burn from your calves up through your torso. Grippy wheels help a shitton, too. It's kind of disconcerting when you're swishswishswishing down the street or a path and you start loosing traction in the rear. Pumping on a dropthrough is a little more work than a topmount since you don't get as much initial response with a drop-through, but it should still work. I think my rear bushings are 90a and 88a, and my fronts are 88a and 86a (barrels all around) if I'm remembering right.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I think I'm going to sell my skateboard and stick to longboarding. Trying to ollie is crushing my loving spirit :(

Mincher
May 12, 2008

RobotEmpire posted:

I think I'm going to sell my skateboard and stick to longboarding. Trying to ollie is crushing my loving spirit :(

Don't do it! What's causing you the most grief with ollies? Is it the pop, slide or landing? Are you doing them stationary or moving?

Some pointers, based on things that I had to train myself not to do:

- Stay square and over the board, don't lean back too much so you can see your feet. This is just never going to work out.

- When you pop, do it from the ankle not the knee or whole leg. Use your legs to get you height and your foot to pop the board. When you jump, jump a little in the direction you are rolling. This will help you stay over the board.

- The slide. For ages, I didn't roll my foot as I slid it up and wondered why the hell it felt like I was spamming the board. Roll that foot as you slide! Aim to connect with the nose.

- When you ollie don't forget how important your arms and shoulders are. When I was starting out, I was all action in the legs but my torso was just kind of chilling out. When I learned to use my arms for balance in the air, everything stabilised. I recommend having your lead arm and sliding foot working in tandem, so as you start to slide, throw your arm straight out in the direction you're going. The same goes for your trailing arm. Mirror your feet.

- The landing. If you stay square and balanced while in the air and get the slide of your foot down, the tail will come up and slap your back foot. Once that happens, you're in good shape for landing. The only other advice is bend your knees on impact.

Also, stay calm and don't go for monster ollies. Get the motion down, landing tiny ollies then start to step it up. The further back your leading foot is the more height you will get (assuming you jump high enough).

If you watch any videos for pointers on tricks, look at how the skater moves all their limbs and torso, not just their feet. Especially on tricks that involve rotation.

Hope all this helps and PLEASE don't give up. :)

Edit: Oh and don't hang around just practising on flat for ages. Take it to a small curb as soon as you feel ready and keep trying to get up until you get consistent. This will improve your timing massively.

Mincher fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 31, 2010

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

RobotEmpire posted:

Oh my god don't do it because the first time you land one rolling you'll feel like you could tear the world in half with your suddenly capable hands.

Skateboarding is the only thing that can cheer me up on a lovely day because every single trick, even something as simple as rolling off a curb, feels like a minor achievement, and doing something "simple" like hell, like an ollie or a shuvit makes you feel like right now everything is right with the world. My trick library, by the way, is "ollie" "shuvit" "roll off curb" and "one time i accidentally did a nose manual for about 2m but that was because i was trying to not fall over"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You don't need to do tricks to have fun skateboarding.

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
Don't give up! That's why skateboarding is so fun. The feeling of accomplishment when you finally land one. It looks simple but it takes time and practice. How long have you been trying?

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
What sized wheels do you guys run for street? Seems like 52 and 53mm are the most popular. Any advantage/disadvantage to those sizes? I'd like something that rolls nicely while cruising around but are light for tricks.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I havent skated since I was about 16 (about 8 or 9 years ago) and my set up got stolen at a local youth night, but this thread rules.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RobotEmpire posted:

When I first started longboarding I had such an intent on also buying a shortboard a little while later just to see if I can learn.

2 years later all I want is to go faster.

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
I was skating in this parking lot when this dude came out from his house and stood over his fence and I thought he was gonna kick me out so I got ready to leave. He was like "No bro! Come here." He was standing on a miniramp. It was pretty cool.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Quick question.

I removed my grip tape today because I just did a poor job of applying it (first deck, you know) and I'm left with glue residue. Do I need to remove this or can I just slap on some new grip without worrying about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

teamgod posted:

What sized wheels do you guys run for street? Seems like 52 and 53mm are the most popular. Any advantage/disadvantage to those sizes? I'd like something that rolls nicely while cruising around but are light for tricks.

Any sizes from 50mm to 54mm are pretty common for street skating but they come all different diameters and widths, hell I have a set of 49mm in my closet that I don't use anymore. Larger sized wheels are good for cruising around as they won't get caught up on pebbles/cracks or whatever is on the road as easily as smaller diameter wheels, but of course the larger the wheels are the higher the board will be when you stand on it. Hardness of the wheels also comes into play, a softer wheel will make the ride smoother, I believe 99a is the most common hardness for wheels, but I'm not exactly too sure about that.

-Atom- posted:

Quick question.

I removed my grip tape today because I just did a poor job of applying it (first deck, you know) and I'm left with glue residue. Do I need to remove this or can I just slap on some new grip without worrying about it?

It probably won't matter too much, (assuming this board is for street skating) you'll be going multiple decks in a year anyway.