Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

McKracken posted:

About to play Grandia, is there anything missable or anyway I can permanently mess things up? The wiki mentions something related to someone named Sue but that means nothing to me.
When you get the opportunity to buy Power Mushrooms, you may want to stock up. They aren't absolutely essential or anything, but they are very useful. Don't sweat missables too much since it's entirely possible to blow through the game no matter how badly you mess up things like mana eggs.

There are also a few optional dungeons with some cool rewards. They're missable and one will more than likely require a guide or an obsessive degree of searching to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Thinking about playing Wild Arms 2, I got into the series after playing a bit of Wild Arms 4 on PS2 - is there anything that I should know?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

Thinking about playing Wild Arms 2, I got into the series after playing a bit of Wild Arms 4 on PS2 - is there anything that I should know?

Don't. The plot is an absolute mess and the translation fails you all the way through.

More pressingly though for actual advice if you intend to play it:
1) Healing items cannot be bought. They can only be stolen from enemies. Don't look for them in stores.
2) Since MP regenerates every single turn at the rate of one point per characters level per turn, when you get the option to make spells, make the heal spell as early as you can. You will never, ever stop casting this as it rapidly takes less MP than you regenerate in a turn.
3) When upgrading ARMS, remember that a reload is only 5 arm shots, regardless of the full capacity of the gun. Therefore, having a maximum capacity over 5 wastes your limited ability to upgrade these guns.
4) The game is choc-full of puzzles and many of them are arbitrary or very specific. Don't feel bad to look up a guide to finish them.
5) The plot is goddamned mess that really never picks up or goes anywhere, feel free to constantly skip.
6) The main character's power rangers-esque power-up mode is utterly broken so for most boss fights your strategy is have him wait until he has 100 magic then unleash the pain.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Don't. The plot is an absolute mess and the translation fails you all the way through.

Haha, thanks. I might take that advice. I was liking the whole western feel of the series, but I suppose if the plot is a mess then it's not really worth it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

Haha, thanks. I might take that advice. I was liking the whole western feel of the series, but I suppose if the plot is a mess then it's not really worth it.

I'm going to be honest with you, as a child I didn't understand the plot and hated it. When I was an adult I looked up the plot and was angry that my childhood self had thought he had missed something. Pacing is an alien concept to the game and the "revelations" it gives you are worthless and the things it refuses to tell you would actually be cool.

Not to mention that 3/4 of the game is like hunt down bad guys. Then it becomes a crap twist, and then I poo poo you not another dimension comes and tries to eat your world. Its inexplicable.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Play Wild ARMs 3 instead. Probably one of my favorite PS2 games.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

I'm going to be honest with you, as a child I didn't understand the plot and hated it. When I was an adult I looked up the plot and was angry that my childhood self had thought he had missed something. Pacing is an alien concept to the game and the "revelations" it gives you are worthless and the things it refuses to tell you would actually be cool.

Not to mention that 3/4 of the game is like hunt down bad guys. Then it becomes a crap twist, and then I poo poo you not another dimension comes and tries to eat your world. Its inexplicable.

For some reason a whole lot of the PSX era RPGs I've played are written as if the LSD started to kick in for the writer(s) about 2/3 of the way through.

Shame, really.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
The translation for Wild Arms 2 is also awful; it really feels like they ran it through Babelfish at times.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

The translation for Wild Arms 2 is also awful; it really feels like they ran it through Babelfish at times.

Feels like? I'm pretty certain they went to "Bob's Discount House of Translations" and said you know what, gently caress it too expensive.

There is a part where characters describe the dimension that is consuming them, and while staring at a black circle manage to destroy the English language to describe it. It grows, like an egg. I see a tail. It is like our souls.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

Play the first one if you haven't already. Awesome wild west soundtrack with a coherent story, and the battle system is no worse/weird than any of the other Wild Arm games. It never goes into jRPG :catdrugs: land like so many other games do. I think it's the best game in the series actually (not that I hate the others or anything).

Barudak posted:

Feels like? I'm pretty certain they went to "Bob's Discount House of Translations" and said you know what, gently caress it too expensive.

There were two recurring characters in WA2, a lizard guy(?) and... a bear I think?, and like 95% of their dialog is literally some kind of word salad gibberish.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

Play Wild ARMs 3 instead. Probably one of my favorite PS2 games.

Listen to this guy right here. I loved the art style of Wild ARMs 3. I really need to get a PS2 again.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
And the opening changes depending on where you are in the game.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!

Ragequit posted:

Listen to this guy right here. I loved the art style of Wild ARMs 3. I really need to get a PS2 again.

I have to agree. I really liked the Wild Arms games, at least the first few. Wild Arms 3 is probably the best of all of them. If you want to play a game that has all the great aspects of the series, I'd go with that one. The remake of the first game isn't bad either. It plays like the third game, with the storyline of the original. I still prefer 3 though, if only for the badass intro/outro movies you get when loading or quitting a game.

Speaking of Wild Arms, how are the later games in the franchise? I stopped with 3 and the remake, since the 4th game looked generic as all gently caress. Are 4 and 5 any good? What about the PSP one?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Also: Wild ARMs 3 has a Clive.

I can't think of a single game/movie/book that has a character named Clive who isn't a total badass.

Actually, the only other one I know is from Suikoden 1+2, but he's still awesome.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mecha Labrador posted:

I have to agree. I really liked the Wild Arms games, at least the first few. Wild Arms 3 is probably the best of all of them. If you want to play a game that has all the great aspects of the series, I'd go with that one. The remake of the first game isn't bad either. It plays like the third game, with the storyline of the original. I still prefer 3 though, if only for the badass intro/outro movies you get when loading or quitting a game.

Speaking of Wild Arms, how are the later games in the franchise? I stopped with 3 and the remake, since the 4th game looked generic as all gently caress. Are 4 and 5 any good? What about the PSP one?

I tried the PSP one for a bit, and it was fairly tough if I remember correctly. It plays like FFT, except on a hex grid. I recall a few missions where you had to protect some civilians, run from super strong baddies, and the general beat the poo poo out of all foes.

I had no idea they remade the original Wild Arms though -- I may need to check that out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
4 is unforgiving as poo poo. I don't know why they give you two mages that basically will always die in one hit unless the he mage becomes a dodge queen in the later half, or the she mage has enough defense in the early game to survive with a bit left. Do not kill the bosses so quickly until you get at least 7x multiplier or you will struggle to keep up your levels. I grinded for forever and killed bosses fast enough to get 3x, but I was still ten levels too early to enjoy any random battle.
Try to not sell your junk since you want to craft it into loving expensive god gear that might be enough to let you survive the optional bosses. I doubt you will want to play through it again since first-timers will get hosed over this, or my brain shut itself off. be prepared to have encounters where you might lose hours of grinding cash by running.

ACF is rushed and chopped. It still plays well and the bosses are fun, but not encounters. Some things just won't work right and you will fidget settings and enter towns to remove corrupted maps. I got pissed at the awful puzzles that needs guides. Open this one chest twice in a sequence.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ratatozsk posted:

The wiki's got a bunch on FFT, check it out.

Lots of good advice in the wiki. To add a little, there's a lot of hate for Geomancers, but you should try the class out anyway. I like 'em. IIRC, the formula that determines how well a geomancy attack will do is (PA/2 + 1) x MA = damage done; geomancy becomes pretty useful if the Geomancer has a high MA, as it costs no MP to use, has no charge time, and sometimes inflicts status ailments. And, they can equip swords and shields. They're solid team members (especially if they have a high MA) for the early-to-mid-game if you pick a good sub-class.

The wiki covers this (more than once), but I feel the need to mention once again that you should pay particular attention to what stat governs the thing you're trying to do. For instance, in the case of the stick, MA, rather than PA, governs what seems like a "physical" attack.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is WA3 really the best? I only played the first half of WA2 and the first few hours of WA3, but I thought WA3 was loving awful. Abysmal cel-shaded graphics, completely cliched and boring plot, a really boring battle system, pretty much nothing redeeming about it.

Not trying to troll, I really want to know, what was so good about it? It's still on my shelf, I might pop it in some day and give it a second chance.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
WA5 is my favorite. It's like the designers took all the good aspects of the previous games and put them together in a way that actually works. Plus the game looks drat good. Dean will definitely annoy some people though.

WA4 is garbage. There's nothing redeeming about the story or the ending. There's also no difficulty to speak of. Soon after getting Raquel, I was accidentally one-shotting bosses. She soon hits for 5 digits like it's nothing and bosses have strangely low HP. The good parts of the hex system were carried over to 5 and it works out well.

Wild Arms on PSP is neat, but every single story battle is a gimmick. Some are rather sadistic and most require you to use very specific unit setups. I'm still stuck on a battle where I have to prevent enemies from reaching the other end of the map. The only problem is they have obscene move ranges and some of them can just teleport behind your party from the other end of the map. There's a very specific way to do it and grinding for it is soul crushing.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Sentient Toaster posted:

WA4 is garbage. There's nothing redeeming about the story or the ending. There's also no difficulty to speak of. Soon after getting Raquel, I was accidentally one-shotting bosses. She soon hits for 5 digits like it's nothing and bosses have strangely low HP. The good parts of the hex system were carried over to 5 and it works out well.

Wasn't that the game where one of the main bosses is a blind dude with a jetpack and an anti-tank chainsaw?

Any game in which a blind character straps on a jetpack and revvs up a chainsaw designed to destroy tanks cannot be that bad, can it?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Haha yeah that's so wacky and random how can it possibly be bad?!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Three was a big game. Big world map, lots of sidequests, fun characters, Lots of twists/turns in storyline.

All the dungeons were fun, the items were fun, and the characters were well developed. If it wasn't for Persona 4, WA3 would be my favorite RPG on the system.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got Silent Hill 3 and since it's my first Silent Hill game ever I'd like to know if there's anything I have to keep in mind.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Anything I should be aware of for Muramasa: The Demon Blade? I've played Odin Sphere and I don't remember that haven't too terribly many things missable or ways to screw yourself, but you never know.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Viash posted:

Anything I should be aware of for Muramasa: The Demon Blade? I've played Odin Sphere and I don't remember that haven't too terribly many things missable or ways to screw yourself, but you never know.

There isn't anything to miss. Just make sure you play on the harder difficulty. It's piss easy on either one, but the hard one will at least challenge you until you get a grip on the mechanics.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

GeneralFai posted:

Lots of good advice in the wiki. To add a little, there's a lot of hate for Geomancers, but you should try the class out anyway. I like 'em. IIRC, the formula that determines how well a geomancy attack will do is (PA/2 + 1) x MA = damage done; geomancy becomes pretty useful if the Geomancer has a high MA, as it costs no MP to use, has no charge time, and sometimes inflicts status ailments. And, they can equip swords and shields. They're solid team members (especially if they have a high MA) for the early-to-mid-game if you pick a good sub-class.

The wiki covers this (more than once), but I feel the need to mention once again that you should pay particular attention to what stat governs the thing you're trying to do. For instance, in the case of the stick, MA, rather than PA, governs what seems like a "physical" attack.

Wow finally an excuse to post probably my favorite thing I found out about that game, namely that Agrias makes an incredible geomancer. Juice her up with a sword like normal (geomancers can equip them) but ALSO all the physical attack boosting stuff like twist headband and that suit (can't remember name... been a long time since I played) which knights can't equip but geos can. Throw on the geo's attack up, and she is in TGCid territory long before that guy shows up, and blowing stuff apart with 400 damage attacks when most enemies are doing less than 1/3 that.

It's great :black101:.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wild Arms 2 is decent up to the 2nd disc and then it falls apart completely. I kind of wish the translation wasn't so terrible because there's a lot of "what the gently caress?" moments like recruiting an android vampire or something, the possibility of Brad being gay, and that one dude you help out literally has a creepy scene where he rapes his sister in order to inject power into her or something I swear either this was meant to be implied or the translation was so bad that it's impossible not to imply it.

As a general Wild Arms 2 and 3 tip you get items called lucky cards and gella something or another which double your experience and your gella respectively. Each game also has a character who's special ability is applying an item to everyone. First thing you should do every boss fight is use mystic + lucky card while someone else uses the gella thing on the boss and you'll never be broke/underleveled ever.

General tips for WA3 since I'm currently playing it, the later enemies/bosses are surprisingly tough and you need to master the cancel ability. There's an item that lets you cancel freely and I swear it's a lifesaver. The "hit" attribute of an ARM can generally be ignored and weight seems useless but it actually reduces the FP required to use gatling. I focused purely on attack power and gave everyone level 3 in weight and critical while only upgrading the hit attribute once. There are spells that make you more accurate, you'll rarely miss regardless, and the enemies that actually can dodge you usually have an elemental weakness or instantly suck once you decelerate them.

Viash posted:

There's an item that takes you to your last save spot. Despite the description it actually ignores dungeons so be sure to use it when you beat a boss. It literally saves like 10 minutes worth of backtracking.

As for the game itself, well, prepare for A LOT of running back and forth. Each chapter is basically running across the entire map taking the longest route possible and the two naked dudes who offer shortcuts always happen to be going the exact opposite way you are.

For combat you'll always want two short swords and a long sword. The longswords are really slow and generally not worth to have more than one. My favorite weapon abilities are the ones that leech enemy health and give you more money since you want to buy a lot of ingredients and your inventory is limited to something like 15 per item.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

PotU posted:

I just got Silent Hill 3 and since it's my first Silent Hill game ever I'd like to know if there's anything I have to keep in mind.

Whenever you enter a new area, find a map. It's usually near the beginning of the area, and in a place where you'd expect to find one. The game doesn't go out of its way to hide them, but won't stop you from wandering on without one either. The levels are large, and quickly become frustrating without a map. NOTE: The first intro level where you begin the game doesn't have one.

When selecting puzzle difficulty, don't pick 'hard', unless you really want a challenge. SH3 doesn't gently caress around when it comes to puzzles. If I remember correctly, some versions even have an (unlockable?) 'extreme' puzzle difficulty, where one of the puzzles requires you to understand calculus.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

StoryTime posted:

When selecting puzzle difficulty, don't pick 'hard', unless you really want a challenge. SH3 doesn't gently caress around when it comes to puzzles. If I remember correctly, some versions even have an (unlockable?) 'extreme' puzzle difficulty, where one of the puzzles requires you to understand calculus.

Silent Hill 3 has the Shakespeare-reference puzzle, doesn't it? Where you need to explicitly understand a good number of the works of the Shakespeare simply to get halfway through a puzzle before doing something else just as difficult.

This is what puzzles should be like when you choose 'hard'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Silent Hill 3 has the Shakespeare-reference puzzle, doesn't it? Where you need to explicitly understand a good number of the works of the Shakespeare simply to get halfway through a puzzle before doing something else just as difficult.

This is what puzzles should be like when you choose 'hard'.

And the incredibly disturbing puzzle poem about murdering a girl that you have to read to produce a solution to a keypad lock only through the most torturous of logic.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Red Dead Redemption

Don't rush through the game, Take your time and do the side stuff while doing the main story. Exception of this is until you ger your Lasso.

Don't waste your money on horses, it is pretty easy to get a new horse. Use your money on unique items such as maps and outfit scraps. as well as the stuff to restore your health, dead eye and horse stamina. Ammo shouldn't be an issue.

Don't take cougars lightly, if you see one, shoot it as soon as possible, don't wait to see how it acts.

You can't swim.

If you find the game too easy, turn the targetitng to expert in the options.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
One more quick question about Grandia...

What are the stars next to my magic/moves suppose to signify? They appear to be randomly shaded yellow/red and I can't seem to figure out what they mean or if they have any significance at all.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
edit: What is the best item setup to start doing Pirate Map/Item World runs in Disgaea 2? Which characters would have the best result for clearing stages or reaching the goal in the fewest turns?
What is the purpose of Fusion and is it another effect solely meant to screw me over?

That means your casting speed and general IP quickness. Magic takes less than a second to cast on Max and Moves are nearly instantaneous.

edit2:The more levels you gain from using a weapon or casting a spell, the larger a piece of the star gets filled in. It adds on to techniques you have yet to uncover. Moves or Magic with two or more components level much more slowly than single element spells or Moves.
Certain Chameleon or Alligator enemies who teleport upon seeing you, are basically experience farms that probably never stop giving you full experience per hit. I got to the 70s before getting bored.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 25, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

McKracken posted:

One more quick question about Grandia...

What are the stars next to my magic/moves suppose to signify? They appear to be randomly shaded yellow/red and I can't seem to figure out what they mean or if they have any significance at all.

Weapons and magic earn you individual experience for those abilities which give you attribute increases (and is somewhat more important than leveling in itself). The more you use a skill or spell the more stars you'll gain (I think the max is 5) which determines how fast they're cast. In later battles you'll get absolutely murdered if your character is slow so don't think Grandia is a game about mashing attack over and over while conserving mp for bosses, oh no.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I just got Fallout 3 and Crackdown for cheap, anything I should know that's not in the wiki?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Mystic_Squid posted:

I just got Fallout 3 and Crackdown for cheap, anything I should know that's not in the wiki?

If you're planning on maxing out crackdown, you may want to get a guide for the Agility Orbs when you start the game, although either way it's going to be a pain in the rear end to get them all. Other than that, the game is meant to be enjoyed at its most base level. gently caress around, blow poo poo up, nothin' to worry about. About the hardest skill to level up is the vehicle one, I did it at that warehouse by the boat area where I drove around in a circle running gang members over but you can only fit through the bollards if you're in the sports car, so it's a bit rough. I'd recommend doing that one as soon as possible just so you don't have to deal with rocket launchers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mystic_Squid posted:

Crackdown

-Make a point to kill all the lieutenants in each gang before fighting the boss. Each one you knock out makes the entire enemy force weaker.
-Stick to the rooftops. You'll find Agility and Hidden Orbs everywhere.
-Do the races for even more Agility orbs
-Explosives skill makes your explosions ridiculous.
-You get orbs from enemies depending on how you killed them.
-It is possible to climb up to the top of the Agency Tower, and there's rewards for it. There's also a race to the top you can do.

Fallout 3

-Do whatever the gently caress you want. It's entirely possible to make an rear end in a top hat character that punches everything in the face.
-Figure out what you wanna do at the start so you can apply bonuses to those skills right away.
-Science is extremely handy, as is Lockpicking. They both get you into places and things with goodies.
-There are 20 Bobbleheads in the game that give permanent boosts to your stats. A few of them are missable, so use a guide.
-Always use VATS whenever you can. It gives your melee attacks a damage boost, and let's you target body parts with guns. It also shows you how much damage a hit will do when it connects, and pauses combat, so you can strategize efficiently.
-Definitely get the Mysterious Stranger and Bloody Mess perks. You will thank me later when you're making guys explode with your fist.
-Raise your explosives skill to 25 so you can manipulate the bomb in Megaton. Disarming it gets you your house there, and it's very useful. Make sure you save before attempting it of course.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mystic_Squid posted:

In Crackdown, if you're having issues with Agility orbs, shoot people from the top of buildings. You get agility orbs for killing stuff from way up. Also punch everything so you can eventually jump to the top of a building with a car on your head and throw it into a tanker truck with max explosives skill and kill everything in a huge radius and try not to piss your pants laughing because it is awesome every single time.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

PotU posted:

Ammo isn't terribly scarce, but it's a lot easier to run from most enemies, especially slow ones. Kill if there's no way out.

The stun gun is a decent weapon, but most people overlook it. It's in Heather's apartment, and you can miss it, so make sure you pick it up.

The submachine gun has very few clips, save it for boss battles.

After the prologue/mall level and the subway level, you go into an office building level. There's a big enemy you have to solve a puzzle to kill, and then you can leave the building. Before you go, pick up the katana, it's the best melee weapon. It's off in some side room, so look at a guide if you're having trouble. Make sure you get it, because it comes in handy for almost everything in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Fallout 3

-Definitely get the Mysterious Stranger and Bloody Mess perks. You will thank me later when you're making guys explode with your fist.

I never get these perks, especially Bloody Mess. I personally think its super annoying when I shoot a guy in the chest and his arms, legs, and face explode. It makes no sense and happens almost every time. I could care less about the damage boost. And the game was never hard enough where I felt the Mysterious Stranger was needed. That's just me though.