Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
:smithicide:

# 1 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 325 691636480
# 2 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 324 691636480

What are some good linux utilities to force a complete scan and make it deal with a bad sector(s)? This drive is an NTFS setup I used to backup data while I was transitioning it between systems. I think I got off the stuff I needed, but I am unsure of what files could have been affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

What are some good linux utilities to force a complete scan and make it deal with a bad sector(s)? This drive is an NTFS setup I used to backup data while I was transitioning it between systems. I think I got off the stuff I needed, but I am unsure of what files could have been affected.

Not sure if there is anything new but I've used badblocks from e2fsprogs (http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/) in the past. It will log a list of bad blocks for passing to whatever you plan to use to create filesystem.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah, that's the savings I saw from a half dozen TV shows I have on my media box now. You might end up with some special snowflake x264 encodes that are somehow different for each and ever block, but I'm guessing you'll still see some savings.

So I turned on Dedup, realized that it only dedups new data, so I renamed my TV pool, made a new TV pool, and am currently rsyncing all the data (1.12T). It's been running about 24 hours now, and I've copied 791G. My dedup ratio is still 1.00, and the "USED" and "REFER" columns both say 791G. Do your "USED" and "REFER" differ based on dedup?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Used" is the logical amount of data, "Refer" is the actual physical usage. Used should be higher than "Refer". But ZFS also rolls "Used" amounts up into the filesystem hierarchy. See my home folder for example:

code:
NAME                      USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool/export             10.3G   433G    23K  /export
rpool/export/home        10.3G   433G    23K  /export/home
rpool/export/home/servo  10.3G   433G  10.3G  /export/home/servo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

I just did this Monday, only took 6 hours for a 4 TB array.

Yeah, it really can be remarkably quick if you aren't using it for anything else - did you crank up the speed limit that md imposes on itself? It's set up so that the array is totally usable while you do all of that, but if you can deal with a few hours of piss-poor performance, you can get it done much faster.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it really can be remarkably quick if you aren't using it for anything else - did you crank up the speed limit that md imposes on itself? It's set up so that the array is totally usable while you do all of that, but if you can deal with a few hours of piss-poor performance, you can get it done much faster.

You're right, I didn't start loading my data back over until the rebuild was done, since there's no reason to make process take any longer than necessary. I did tune the min_speed to 30 MB, but it never dropped below 60 MB /sec during the rebuild.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
What is the general consensus on using two drives of identical size but different brands to further reduce drive failure in a RAID setup? I have two drives of equal size on hand and was planning on doing software RAID1 on my ubuntu box. Speed wise they are pretty darn close.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dietcokefiend posted:

What is the general consensus on using two drives of identical size but different brands to further reduce drive failure in a RAID setup? I have two drives of equal size on hand and was planning on doing software RAID1 on my ubuntu box. Speed wise they are pretty darn close.

make sure your array will truncate (is that he right term?) Off the last 1GB or so, because if the drives have slightly different sizes, then you can run into a case where the array eats itself alive when it can't address those last few sectors, or they just refuse to play nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

make sure your array will truncate (is that he right term?) Off the last 1GB or so, because if the drives have slightly different sizes, then you can run into a case where the array eats itself alive when it can't address those last few sectors, or they just refuse to play nice.

That won't be an issue for at least the initial setup, md won't create an array larger than what the smallest volume will support. That said, even cross-manufacturer I've seen identical (to the byte) size ratings on some drives.

It will only be an issue if down the road he needs to replace a drive or grow the array and the new/replacement drive is smaller than the existing ones.

md10md
Dec 11, 2006
I'm trying to mount sparse files as block devices in FreeNAS but it appears that it doesn't have lofiadm like OpenSolaris or the ability to mount loop devices as in Linux with "mount -o loop". Is there another way to do this? This is with embedded FreeNAS 0.7.1, by the way.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

md10md posted:

I'm trying to mount sparse files as block devices in FreeNAS but it appears that it doesn't have lofiadm like OpenSolaris or the ability to mount loop devices as in Linux with "mount -o loop". Is there another way to do this? This is with embedded FreeNAS 0.7.1, by the way.
it should be a similar process to mounting an ISO. http://www.redantigua.com/mount-iso.html

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can someone confirm what I've tried to figure out on my own, on behalf of someone else who wants a Drobo:

A Drobo with 4x2TB drives will end up with 6TB of usable space? Wikipedia says to take the largest capacity drive and subtract it from the total space.

edit: nevermind I found this handy calculator.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 23, 2010

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
It seems that all my 2TB drives have the same size as indicated by fdisk

I have one drive with some important poo poo that I need to mirror. How do I take one currently filled drive and make a mirror using mdadm using a like-size drive without wiping whats currently on the main drive?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

jebus Drobo is expensive. What's a cheaper more reasonable solution? I just want to jam 2TB WD Green drives into a RAID 5 box.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

crm posted:

jebus Drobo is expensive. What's a cheaper more reasonable solution? I just want to jam 2TB WD Green drives into a RAID 5 box.
Well we're sort of talking about that over in the Mac hardware thread right now. There's this guy:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/

But it actually costs more than a Drobo. :(

crm
Oct 24, 2004

How's something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16816216001

AMS DS-2350J 5-Bay SATA RAID Sub-System

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993023

SNT SNT-ESATA350SESRC Aluminum 3.5" x 5 Bay Black eSATA 5 Bay SATA to eSATA External RAID Enclosure

crm fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 25, 2010

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Those aren't NAS devices.

Decent hardware raid is going to be expensive, since what you're talking about is a small computer handling the raid inside the case with the hard drives.

Sans digital makes some reasonable stuff, though unless they've pushed out new firmware it used to be that on their lower end models you couldn't have arrays bigger than 2TB over USB - only eSATA.

Drobo is just terrible though. It's slow, expensive, and it's basically a gimmick targeted towards people who just want to be able to slap drives in a box. It may still not support volumes larger than 2TB? Not sure, I know that used to be the case but I have to think they've rolled out new firmware.

Right now the market has tilted significantly away from hardware RAID boxes. Instead it's mostly drive shelves and NAS. Drive shelves for people who already have a server or something with a nice hardware RAID solution, or home users who use software RAID with port multiplication on eSATA. NAS for people who want to share data or connect over ethernet.

If you can live with iSCSI, which can be glitchy particularly on the Mac, then I would recommend going with a nice NAS from one of the top tier consumer vendors, or building your own and rolling freeNAS. You can get very good speeds out of the 2xGb ethernet models.

You are going to pay a grand or more for the box, hard drives not included.

what is this fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 25, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, those are both DAS (direct attached storage) meaning to use them the computer they're connected to always needs to be on. Not a big deal if you only have one computer, but a pain if you have multiples.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The only way out of paying that much is to basically build your own NAS. For home users, there's a cost curve that dips to its low point somewhere around the Drobo and above, and around there it's probably cheaper (even considering power) to just build your own. mini ITX motherboards and Atom processors have helped make low-power DIY NAS boxes a reality. Heck, even my E5200 with an nForce chipset with 5 drives only draws like 50w at idle, and I never have to worry about whether it'll support X software feature. Of course, building a NAS box is a bit more specific and complex in some respects than a simple DIY desktop system, so it's certainly possible it's more cost-effective to buy one of those $1k+ boxes meant for small businesses. It's just I can build a great OpenSolaris box with 6TB of drives for about $800 when a NAS from an ok manufacturer costs $1k without any drives.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
I thought I'd chime in here with a story about hardware RAID cards. Specifically, the 3ware 9650SE (in my case, the -4LPML 4-drive model).

The card is INVISIBLE to the computer (like, it disables itself so that the card BIOS configuration doesn't even show during boot) unless you have at least one drive plugged into it.

When I set up my old RAID system in 2003 (a Promise FastTrak SX4000 4-drive parallel ATA card), I plugged the card in, got the drivers working under Windows XP, and then shut down and plugged in the drives.

Tried to do that this time with my new setup (3ware 9650SE-4LPML, (4) 1 TB Samsung HE103UJ in RAID 5, Windows 7 Enterprise) and the card is, as far as I can tell, dead. Try it in my work machine (Dell Precision T3400 running RHEL 5), same thing. Call 3ware support and they tell me to RMA it. So I RMA it with the vendor (Newegg). Waste 9 days doing that. (Well, not totally wasted, because I used the time to 'burn in' the drives and run HUTIL surface scans on them to verify that the drives were good.)

Finally, three days ago the new card arrives, shut down, plug into the PCIe x8 slot on my Intel DP55WG, STILL NOTHING. There is no way I got two DOA cards in a row. Then it hits me: plug the drives in, you loving idiot.

It's working perfectly now. With the BBU installed and write cache enabled, I get 90 MB/s sustained copies from my system drive (Intel X-25M) to the array. One angry email to 3ware tech support (for not verifying that I had the drives plugged in) later, and I'm happily copying everything off my 1 TB external to the new array.

edit: In terms of cost, I paid (all from Newegg.com):

$329.99 for the 3ware 9650SE-4LPML
$114.99 for the BBU-MODULE-04 BBU with remote mounting kit
$149.99 each for the Samsung HE103UJ 1 TB drives
plus $39.57 shipping (I sprung for FedEx since the order included hard drives)

The RAID subsystem cost $1084.51 total. A lot of money, but I'm pretty much sold for life on hardware RAID. My last hardware RAID-5 setup lasted me from June 2003 until April 2010 when the motherboard died and I had to replace the system. During that time, I replaced two of the WD consumer-grade 200 GB PATA drives in the RAID array, but never lost any data. Plus, this new setup is much better thought-out than the old one: the RAID controller has battery backup so I can use write cache (20-fold improvement in speed), and these new drives are enterprise drives with a 7-year (!) warranty.

Sgs-Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 25, 2010

crm
Oct 24, 2004

friendship waffle posted:

Those aren't NAS devices.

A NAS device would be nice, but not necessary, as I've currently got a box that runs 24/7 that I could just plug into - would need to be compatible with a FreeBSD/FreeNAS system though.

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
Guys, I'm really loving my Synology DS410J.. it was cheap in the realm of 4-bay NAS units and although it's consumer (read: slowest) model, I LOVE how flexible this thing is. The software is incredibly well designed and it's thoroughly customizable.. Amazing support and user forums too.

I have it running Transmission and SABNZBD right now on the side... love it, love it, love it. Highly recommended.

https://www.synology.com

Edit: give their DSM2.3 interface a test run at their website

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys,

I bit the bullet and bought a Norco 4220. Now I need help deciding on what parts to put in it.

Current parts decided on:

AMD PhenomII X6 1055T - because it's 250 bux for 6 cores.
120mm fan bracket from cavediver

Now.. what about the rest? Could someone recommend a good motherboard for this CPU at least? Hopefully with good-enough on board video that wont suck a lot of juice.

I thought about asking in the main hardware thread, but I figured that I would get better answers here. Thanks a lot.

Edit: I'm thinking the Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H board looks really good for the price.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 26, 2010

crm
Oct 24, 2004

^^^^^

That is impressive.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Whatever gains you could have made in power efficiency by choosing a lower-power chipset and footprint motherboard were lost with that 6-core CPU. There's maybe a difference of about 4-5 watts among the same chipset, and contrary to intuition, my experiences with Intel-based and nVidia-based chipsets say that even with a much better GPU the nVidia-based chipset actually beat the Intel by about 1w. This is crazy considering how much extra power a GF9400M would take over a GMA4500 chip with utter crap performance at even idle.

You're better off choosing an appropriate wattage PSU (if you only use 80w normally, even the best 80Plus PSU rated for 1000w will be less efficient by about 15w than a 400w PSU at slightly less efficiency) for that than the chipset or a better RAID controller that supports staggered spin-ups to help avoid power spikes.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The_Frag_Man posted:

Hey guys,

I bit the bullet and bought a Norco 4220. Now I need help deciding on what parts to put in it.

Current parts decided on:

120mm fan bracket from cavediver

Now.. what about the rest? Could someone recommend a good motherboard for this CPU at least? Hopefully with good-enough on board video that wont suck a lot of juice.

I thought about asking in the main hardware thread, but I figured that I would get better answers here. Thanks a lot.

Edit: I'm thinking the Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H board looks really good for the price.

Just make sure it has 3+ PCI-E 8x or better slots on it. The Intel SASUI8 HBAs for like $160 were a pretty damned good deal. They also work like a dream on opensolaris.

You can actually zip tie 3 120mm fans together and sorta wedge them in place and save yourself the cost of the 120mm fan bracket.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Just make sure it has 3+ PCI-E 8x or better slots on it. The Intel SASUI8 HBAs for like $160 were a pretty damned good deal. They also work like a dream on opensolaris.

SASUC8I actually.

And gently caress me, that was only $20 than my Super Micro made LSI SAS1068E card, and it comes with a not hosed up bracket. And it's smaller to boot. Oh well. Next time.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

FISHMANPET posted:

SASUC8I actually.

And gently caress me, that was only $20 than my Super Micro made LSI SAS1068E card, and it comes with a not hosed up bracket. And it's smaller to boot. Oh well. Next time.
Heads up that the Intel SASUC8I is a card only. No low-profile bracket or cables, which may be a pro or con, depending on your needs. Get the LSI SAS3081E-R if you need a low-profile bracket.

Once you get the Intel SASUC8I card, make sure to re-flash it with the normal LSI firmware (the Intel firmware is EFI-only).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 27, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EnergizerFellow posted:

Heads up that the Intel SASUC8I is a card only. No low-profile bracket or cables, which may be a pro or con, depending on your needs. Get the LSI SAS3081E-R if you need a low-profile bracket.

Once you get the Intel SASUC8I card, make sure to re-flash it with the normal LSI firmware (the Intel firmware is EFI-only).

Uhh, mine worked fine for a regular BIOS start, and do you have a link to the LSI firmware for it?

eames
May 9, 2009

Uhh, mine worked fine for a regular BIOS start, and do you have a link to the LSI firmware for it?

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3081er/index.html

Support and Downloads -> Firmware.

There are two versions available:

quote:

Firmware images are included for both RAID and non-RAID applications.
The RAID versions have an R in the filename.
The non-RAID versions have a T in the filename.
The T stands for Initiator-Target.

I’m using the T version with mdadm and it works fine under arch linux.
There seems to be an issue with the mptsas driver where SMART requests throw errors and even hang the controller, I’ve simply not installed smartctld to work around this issue. (see my previous posting)

eames fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 27, 2010

siliconix
Mar 15, 2008

eames posted:

There seems to be an issue with the mptsas driver where SMART requests throw errors and even hang the controller, I’ve simply not installed smartctld to work around this issue. (see my previous posting)

I had a similar issue with my LSI 1068. Did you find any other way to get SMART values from the drives ?
E: My drives are WD15EADS/EARS, so pretty similar.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
FYI, these drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152202
Are $115 after promo code EMCYSNV29. Ends on June 2nd. 2TB Samsung Green drive for $115, not too bad. Limit 5 though.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Oh yeah, I installed smartmontools on opensolaris, and it's able to read the SMART data off the drives without any sort of issues.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

Actually, $199 at NewEgg and Amazon.

I wonder if it's compatible with my ASUS M3A78-EM board... (my current file/vm server)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'm in Australia. :)

Edit: I'm thinking open solaris with ZFS is the best choice software wise, so I'm looking at cards that are supported.

This is the one recommended above, which apparently works great in open solaris:
http://www.intel.com/products/server/raid-controllers/SASUC8I/SASUC8I-overview.htm

This one is mentioned a lot too, but it may be good under linux and not open solaris:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SASLP-MV8.cfm

Do you know if the HP expander mentioned in the thread here works on open solaris?
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1484614

That thing seems to be pretty sweet, it apparently works with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 but I'm not sure if it works with the SASUC8I

Edit2: I read a bit further into that thread, and apparently the HP expander does work with the SASUC8I. Nice. :)

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 29, 2010

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

Edit: I'm thinking open solaris with ZFS is the best choice software wise, so I'm looking at cards that are supported.
There is no need for a raid card if using zfs.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I still need a card that has SAS ports on it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm in Australia. :)

This is the one recommended above, which apparently works great in open solaris:
http://www.intel.com/products/server/raid-controllers/SASUC8I/SASUC8I-overview.htm

This one is mentioned a lot too, but it may be good under linux and not open solaris:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SASLP-MV8.cfm

Do you know if the HP expander mentioned in the thread here works on open solaris?
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1484614

That thing seems to be pretty sweet, it apparently works with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 but I'm not sure if it works with the SASUC8I

Edit2: I read a bit further into that thread, and apparently the HP expander does work with the SASUC8I. Nice. :)

Yeah, that second one won't work in OpenSolaris. I've got a SuperMicro version of the first one, and I can assure you that it works great in OpenSolaris.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
The free DropBox service has got me thinking. How hard would it be to setup a DIY version of that on my ubuntu server and let family sync photos and stuff to my raided storage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Has anyone used the Synology DS210j? It looks about right for what I'd want to use, mainly iTunes library and video storage, with some BitTorrent and NZB downloadin'. And the price seems decent (~CAN$250).