Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://ia360703.us.archive.org/14/items/gov.uscourts.nyed.290110/gov.uscourts.nyed.290110.26.1.pdf

hey kids, want to learn slang for sex terms? this is better than the dictionary!

edit: background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I wouldn't know, I just finished my second year. The choice of classes I have second year is the same as third year though, I'm just more likely to get the classes I want this year.

You can take some conlaw classes that do that sort of stuff, but it's really not at all what law school is about. The question is virtually never what the law should be, it's what the law is or what you can claim the law is.

I took a class on Jurisprudence (Greenawalt) ... out of necessity ... for a 12 hour M/W schedule, instead of inconvenient hours that I didn't need. I hated every minute. Imagine a bunch of Petey's arguing back and forth, yeah, its that bad.

Speaking of annoying classes, I also took Human Rights and ended up getting an A, which is awesome because that class had (by far) the highest ratio of LLMs to JDs. And boy do LLMs like to speak their minds. Especially about human rights, and in defense of their precious countries. And how much they hate Israel and stuff.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

SlyFrog posted:

A big part of the problem, for me, is that billing is often 4 hours today, 13 hours tomorrow, hey, it's like you billed two normal 8 hour days. Except you were in the office for 10 hours on the 4 hour day trying to find work or at least not look lazy by going home, and you were in the office for 16 hours on the 13 hour day (eating lunch, nonbillable meetings, etc.).

If I have one of those 4-hours-of-work days, I go play golf. That is a big difference between small law and biglaw.

entris posted:

Did he go from undergrad straight to law school? A lot of people say that they hate their first "real world" job, simply because they've never worked at one before. I've seen this translate into JDs who graduate after going straight through from college, who then get a job at a law firm as their first real job ever, and they hate it and hate it but really only because it's a job and they aren't used to working like adults yet.

I can't think of anything that better prepared me for law school and becoming a lawyer than working in an office for a couple of years between college and law school. You learn time budgeting, you learn focus, and you learn what having a job is like.

Green Crayons posted:

Probably an obvious point to add to this, but try to find a MSJ written by the attorney you're writing it for and, in lieu of that, an attorney from the same team.

If your office has an awesome electronic document network, your search just got 10x easier.

This is where Google Desktop can make you look like a genius.

sigmachiev posted:

I just wanted to say the last couple pages about the industry stuff have been really interesting and it's appreciated. New question (turning away from the difficulties): What was the funnest summer associate activity you did?

I don't remember the funnest, but I remember the funniest. I went to some legal dinner at a local hotel with the firm. After the event, I kept drinking with a female partner, who was pounding. It got late, she excused herself to go to the restroom, and disappeared. I thought she left, and I was getting ready to leave, when the bar manager came over to me. The partner had passed out, face down on the floor of the bathroom. The manager told me I either needed to get her out of there, or he was calling EMS.

I called MY GIRLFRIEND to come pick us up, and we went into the women's bathroom. I picked up the partner, literally threw her over my shoulder, carried her out and dumped her in the backseat of my girlfriend's car, behind the driver's seat. I went through her purse, found her address, and we started heading for her home, with my girlfriend driving. Halfway there, the partner woke up, and began "driving" by reaching around the driver's seat and grabbing my girlfriend's breasts. She "drove" for close to 10 minutes before we got her home and dropped her off with her husband and young children.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

TheBestDeception posted:

I took a class on Jurisprudence (Greenawalt) ... out of necessity ... for a 12 hour M/W schedule, instead of inconvenient hours that I didn't need. I hated every minute. Imagine a bunch of Petey's arguing back and forth, yeah, its that bad.

Speaking of annoying classes, I also took Human Rights and ended up getting an A, which is awesome because that class had (by far) the highest ratio of LLMs to JDs. And boy do LLMs like to speak their minds. Especially about human rights, and in defense of their precious countries. And how much they hate Israel and stuff.

My scholarship made me take a Jurisprudence class and I fuckin hated it. I don't know what happened but I am just not interested in debating poo poo for the sake of debate anymore, at least when I have to go to a classroom to do it.

And the douchebags...lord the douchebags.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

wacko_- posted:

Fancy pants. We went to some place in Florida, Gulf side.

The firm was actually probably just cheap. Each office did their own retreat vs. one big one, so essentially the Hamptons was a location that could be traveled to via subway or bus. I think it'd be more fun to have people from every office. Probably would have kept all the summers and associates from hooking up with one another since you could find someone from another office and it'd be less awkward.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Lol LLMs and Israel: my school hates Israel so much. The school had movie screenings accepting donations for convicted terrorists, and held fundraisers to give to organizations who then donate to Hamas.

At graduation for the LLMs half of them were listed as "Palestine" as their "country" of graduation, ignoring that no such thing exists.

I love how progressive my school was, except for issues of Israel. They don't realize how many Jewish students they've pissed off who absolutely won't donate anything to the school because of it.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

SWATJester posted:

Lol LLMs and Israel: my school hates Israel so much. The school had movie screenings accepting donations for convicted terrorists, and held fundraisers to give to organizations who then donate to Hamas.

At graduation for the LLMs half of them were listed as "Palestine" as their "country" of graduation, ignoring that no such thing exists.

I love how progressive my school was, except for issues of Israel. They don't realize how many Jewish students they've pissed off who absolutely won't donate anything to the school because of it.

but hating israel is progressive :confused:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

SWATJester posted:

Start political rant: Those silly idiots, I bet they were against apartheid too! Think of all the Afrikaner money they lost.

*end rant

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just got a letter from Air Force JAG encouraging me to apply. I have a good feeling about it because it's dated October 2009 and is addressed to "Future Attorney"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
There are days as a clerk that I feel very valuable and incredibly underpaid and there are days when I feel wholly useless, like today.

Been preppin' a big stack of paper ready to go for a summary judgment hearing, cleared up an incredibly muddled aspect of the law and framed it in our favor, expecting things to be a nasty fight and the judge just goes "gently caress it, MSJ denied. See you at trial [during the week of my finals]."

Welp, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and then you have

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
You're in state court, right? You're going to get a lot of judges who work by feel. Fancy arguments and sparkling citations won't mean a thing.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
http://www.wbur.org/2010/05/25/student-loans-ii

quote:

Caughlin has $20,000 in debt, which she calls manageable. It means she can go to law school in the fall and not feel overburdened by debt.

Part of a decent ongoing series detailing the "education bubble," but these two sentences made me laugh.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Draile posted:

You're in state court, right? You're going to get a lot of judges who work by feel. Fancy arguments and sparkling citations won't mean a thing.

That's something they don't teach in law school. Noted.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Serious question: When a cop pulls someone over, is it a question of law or fact as to whether it is a Terry stop?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I think the NYC Bar Association is trolling me...

quote:

This program provides 1.5 transitional/non-transitional NY CLE Skills Credits.

Do you ever feel like you don't know what you're doing when working on M&A deals? If so, you'll want to attend this M&A nuts-and-bolts workshop. Learn about typical assignments for junior associates on deals and how to best tackle them. Gain the confidence and the hard skills you need to add value to your next deal.

If only I had done better my 1L year...

7StoryFall posted:

http://www.wbur.org/2010/05/25/student-loans-ii

Part of a decent ongoing series detailing the "education bubble," but these two sentences made me laugh.

There is a weird mentality attached to many people I meet now who are thinking of applying to law school. If people aren't already in $100K worth of debt from their undergraduate education, they feel that they're in a great position and ready to take on more. I guess if getting a job after you graduate from university really isn't working out, any further educational ventures seem to be essential and not just a straightforward opportunity cost choice.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 25, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vander posted:

Serious question: When a cop pulls someone over, is it a question of law or fact as to whether it is a Terry stop?

isn't it a question of law, looking at the totality of the circumstances?

/in reality, aren't all vehicle pull-overs also Terry stops? I don't remember.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

entris posted:

isn't it a question of law, looking at the totality of the circumstances?

/in reality, aren't all vehicle pull-overs also Terry stops? I don't remember.

I don't remember either, and a party to an issue I'm working on says it's a question of fact. That doesn't sound right to me...

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Welp, 3 job interviews, 0 offers. After this month I have a feeling I'll be competing more directly with the Class of 2010 and the closer I get to the 2010 bar exam date, the less my "have passed the bar" accomplishment means.

A recent interviewer suggested (while shooting me down) that I roll over to the city court and introduce myself to the City Court Judge and see if I can't get some minor criminal work ("traffic offenses, DUIs etc") thrown my way to get experience. Is this actually a viable option? Also, I have no idea how to do those things so what's the best way to become familiar? Besides a forms book, the procedural rules, and reading the local, applicable statutes I'm not sure how to get the ball rolling on something like that. Also, making money isn't really the goal, so I'm not real worried about that. Basically, is this a workable plan to get experience, and has anyone done that or heard of it being done?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

finally, my financial troubles are over! I got a job offer! Check it out!

For more than 10 years Condition Express Inc. carries out its business by working with non-standard banking accommodations around the world. We are expanding our company and grant a list of new services in the United States. Transferal of money for non U.S. citizens with the US check is one of our new
accommodations. For this reason our organization has some opened positions of "Check Processing Manager".
Your responsibilities are:
To get a check by USPS to cash this check
To transfer money to the client the way he/she chooses
To make a special formed accounts on the finished
work for every check
Staff claims:
To have valid address in the US
From 1 to 2 hours a day
To have Positive credit history
Your privileges:
The payment of 100 $ - 500 $ daily Payment of at least 3 000 $
Couple of working hours
We take care of all the taxes on the transactions you carry
out.
If this opening is interesting for you and you want to step please, create an account at our webpage and finish everything according to the instructions.
With best wishes,
TOP MANAGER
Condition Express Inc.

All I gotta do is give them my SSN and bank account number and I am SET! If any of you chumps wanna get at me I'll be in the fast lane, later losers

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
One last note on summer associate positions, this is excellent advice for all of your e-mails. From here.

bollig posted:

- If you want something you've written to sound good, read it out loud to yourself. If you get tripped over by something, there's a good chance it won't sound good to a reader. I do this with EVERYTHING. Even IM's. If you don't want to sound like a retard, read what you write.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Ainsley McTree posted:

With best wishes,
TOP MANAGER

Oh boy, you got a personal letter from the man in charge himself!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Torpor posted:

Not only once, but twice! From two different people in the span of one minute! They must really want me! I want to step, but I'm just not sure I can handle the responsibility of making a special formed accounts on the finished work for every check. I guess that's why it pays at least $3 000

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Torpor posted:

It's unbelievable that this scam is still successful enough that people still attempt it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

It's unbelievable that this scam is still successful enough that people still attempt it.

I've been getting all sorts of scam e-mails (sometimes even phone calls) ever since I signed up for careerbuilder. I wish they made some kind of effort to keep them out, scammers who target the unemployed are the worst. At least the elderly sometimes have money, I'm just a bum

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
More of you guys should drop by the #lawgoons chat room on synirc. Its where all the cool lawgoons hang out :)

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Update: I'm drafting motions in an attempted murder case. I'm just like a real lawyer but I know even less.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

prussian advisor posted:

More of you guys should drop by the #lawgoons chat room on synirc. Its where all the cool lawgoons hang out :)

I'm still getting internet set up on my main PC at the new place, so I haven't been on for a while, drat it.

SWATJester posted:

What an appalling sentiment; I hope you're joking.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

scribe jones posted:

but hating israel is progressive :confused:

I know, and the school does that. It's the only thing I don't like.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Vander posted:

OMG a question that is easy due to my current line of work.

It's a mixed question of law and fact.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/supreme/517/690.pdf

Syllabus posted:

The ultimate questions of reasonable suspicion to stop and probable cause to make a warrantless search should be reviewed de novo. The principal components of either inquiry are (1) a determination of the historical facts leading up to the stop or search, and (2) a decision on the mixed question of law and fact whether the historical facts, viewed from the standpoint of an objectively reasonable police officer, amount to reasonable suspicion or to probable cause.

Ornelas et al. v. United States, 517 U.S. 690 (1996)

mixed question of law and fact means:

quote:

[T]he historical facts are admitted or established, the rule of law is undisputed, and the issue is whether the facts satisfy the [relevant] statutory [or constitutional] standard, or to put it another way, whether the rule of law as applied to the established facts is or is not violated.

Pullman-Standard v. Swint, 456 U.S. 273, 289, n. 19 (1982).

srsly fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 26, 2010

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
Suitchat: This is one of my professors this quarter. Fortunately, he's never worn those sunglasses to class. I found his profile because he just sent out an e-mail to the law school listserv asking for votes.

Transcendi
Jan 6, 2004

SGT. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

TheBestDeception posted:

The class might be stuffy, but Prof. Greenawalt is the poo poo :colbert:

That man let me have an A- on a 17-page major writing credit paper

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Update: I'm drafting motions in an attempted murder case. I'm just like a real lawyer but I know even less.

"Attempted murder... pshhh.. they don't give out the Nobel Prize for Attempted Chemistry."

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Lykourgos posted:

I'm still getting internet set up on my main PC at the new place, so I haven't been on for a while, drat it.

What an appalling sentiment; I hope you're joking.

No, my school really does have an institutionalized love for palestinians and hate for Israelis that borders on the anti-semitic.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

so I am a little mixed up: is there a civil equivalent to witness tampering charges? how does it work if you tamper with witnesses in a civil case? I think most statutes ostensibly cover tampering with witnesses in both civil and criminal cases, but the statutes themselves are criminal

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm writing a paper on international bank transfers. I'm a New Zealand student, but I'm trying to canvass the US and the EU in this essay. I'm having a bit of trouble working out what the US conflict of law rules are. Do you guys use the same rules for inter-state and international conflicts? Do you have any legislation for jurisdictional stuff that would help me out?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
nm I failed at reading

J Miracle fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 26, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Apparently there's at least one judge in the U.S. who is biased against the prosecution!

http://www.bnd.com/2010/05/26/1270386/wharton-takes-himself-off-case.html

Interesting article. I wonder what possessed him to write a letter like that?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Defleshed posted:

Apparently there's at least one judge in the U.S. who is biased against the prosecution!

http://www.bnd.com/2010/05/26/1270386/wharton-takes-himself-off-case.html

Interesting article. I wonder what possessed him to write a letter like that?

Maybe he's not a fan of police denying a guy legal counsel after he asks for it and continuing to question him...I think there's some piece of paper somewhere that says they're not supposed to do that

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been getting all sorts of scam e-mails (sometimes even phone calls) ever since I signed up for careerbuilder. I wish they made some kind of effort to keep them out, scammers who target the unemployed are the worst. At least the elderly sometimes have money, I'm just a bum

If the police set up an account on careerbuilder and used it to bust scammers, would that be considered entrapment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

J Miracle posted:

Maybe he's not a fan of police denying a guy legal counsel after he asks for it and continuing to question him...I think there's some piece of paper somewhere that says they're not supposed to do that

No I get that, but why would he write a letter about it knowing it was conceivable that he would end up having to hear the case?