Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EricCrapton posted:

Does it really matter? He's a WCW employee pointing out how completely lovely WCW is on live WCW programming.
A little. But it's still retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Jericho also once got a royalty check for $0.00 and a Fed Ex package with nothing in it.

Oh WCW. I miss you.

Maffew has started a new series, the BEST series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX8fOqsC8kw

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

whatsabattle posted:

Jericho also once got a royalty check for $0.00 and a Fed Ex package with nothing in it.

Oh WCW. I miss you.

Man, I had forgotten about that Raven moment. WCW really had a knack for hiring the absolute worst security they could find, didn't they?

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

tzirean posted:

Man, I had forgotten about that Raven moment. WCW really had a knack for hiring the absolute worst security they could find, didn't they?

Didn't they have some Hell's Angels do security at one of the Road Wild shows?

I might've imagined that.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Salt In The Wound posted:

Didn't they have some Hell's Angels do security at one of the Road Wild shows?

I might've imagined that.

I think you are mixing up Road Wild with Altamont.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare
Yeah, that's definitely what I was thinking of. It just seemed so WCW.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

whatsabattle posted:

Oh WCW. I miss you.

Great intro - and it was strange seeing Eddie almost kill Jericho with a botch and then nearly lose a match to the ring apron.

Edit: Holy poo poo - one of those matches was a tag match that involved:

Jim Neidhart
British Bulldog
Curt Henning
Brian Adams
Rick Rude (manager)

Only one of them is still alive. That is depressing.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 25, 2010

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Great intro - and it was strange seeing Eddie almost kill Jericho with a botch and then nearly lose a match to the ring apron.

Edit: Holy poo poo - one of those matches was a tag match that involved:

Jim Neidhart
British Bulldog
Curt Henning
Brian Adams
Rick Rude (manager)

Only one of them is still alive. That is depressing.

you'll be editing this soon.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'm missing why.

Edit: Unless you mean Neidhart is on his way out.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 25, 2010

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

• WCW booked an Inferno Match between Sting and Vampiro. The match ended with a stunt double dressed as Sting plummeting off the big movie screen and through a hole in the ramp which was filled with foam. WCW's commentary team then proceeded to basically re-hash the commentary from J.R and Jerry Lawler after Owen Hart's accident. The comapny subsequently received tousands and thousands of letters complaining about the distatseful nature of the incident.

Holy loving poo poo. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd say I didn't want to see a WCW skit but there goes that.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

Akileese posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd say I didn't want to see a WCW skit but there goes that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKAHNMY4b1U

I think I remember reading that the stunt double's Sting mask fell off so the "EMTs" had to just keep spraying him with fire extinguisher for a couple minutes while they sorted things out.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Akileese posted:

• WCW booked an Inferno Match between Sting and Vampiro. The match ended with a stunt double dressed as Sting plummeting off the big movie screen and through a hole in the ramp which was filled with foam. WCW's commentary team then proceeded to basically re-hash the commentary from J.R and Jerry Lawler after Owen Hart's accident. The comapny subsequently received tousands and thousands of letters complaining about the distatseful nature of the incident.

This is the kind of factoid where I go "well that's why TNA isn't quite WCW yet" and then I remember TNA putting a plane going down in Sheik Abdul Bashir's music, signing Pacman Jones right after he'd been suspended by the NFL...I'm starting to wonder how much fun we could have with a "TNA = WCW?" thread.

RandyOrtonIsMyGod
May 12, 2009

Now divinely touched by RK-Pyro

Moose Bigelow posted:

Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classicwrestling&action=display&thread=102800

Just out of curiosity, would Jericho have had grounds to sue and if so does anyone know whether he did or not?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

RandyOrtonIsMyGod posted:

Just out of curiosity, would Jericho have had grounds to sue and if so does anyone know whether he did or not?

I'm pretty sure he just didn't give a gently caress what they did at that point, since the ship was sinking and he was already on the way out.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Moose Bigelow posted:

Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classicwrestling&action=display&thread=102800

Nodays that often happens with cena (buy a khali figure, it comes up on screen as cena). It could not be a conspiracy, but rather the store just listing things that way.

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
I bought an Evan Bourne figure once that was listed as RHODES.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Graic posted:

I bought an Evan Bourne figure once that was listed as RHODES.

Thooting thah pweff

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
From the Wrestlingfigs site:

quote:

Despite just returning from injury and generating huge reactions from the crowds, Russo and Bischoff turned Goldberg heel. This was done because they had hyped up a major event, which was supposed to be the company SFX promoting their shows in future. As it turned out SFX actually offered to buy the whole company and Turner shot it down. Bischoff now had a problem because he had hyped something and needed an answer. He turned the only legitimate draw the company had left, heel. Fans were not happy and threw garbage into the ring. Attendences fell some more almost instantly.

Which SFX company is this? The sci-fi magazine, the music promotion company now owned by LiveNation or the Super FX chip suddenly alive?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

The best revenge for this poo poo is living well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RandyOrtonIsMyGod posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way retail stuff works, they program that particular barcode into their computer and THEY decide the description and such. There isn't some big nation-wide barcode database as far as I know and they don't send reports of what was sold back to the company. They just order more of what they need, which would be the Jericho toy if many of those were sold.

So it would be an issue with Toys R. Us, not WCW.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Lone Rogue posted:

Which SFX company is this? The sci-fi magazine, the music promotion company now owned by LiveNation or the Super FX chip suddenly alive?

The arena tour promotions company. They did music events and festivals and were in inital negociations to take over the event bookings. Bischoff had convinced them there was the potential to take over the entire company, with him effectively back in charge, which they pursued but were told in no uncertain terms that WCW was not for sale.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I like how this thread is 36 pages long and there's still lists of dumb poo poo WCW did to be discussed, but...

quote:

• This one isn't stupidity at all. Arquette pushed hard to try and get Russo to change his mind on making him WCW champion. Arquette was a lifelong wrestling fan and knew fans would hate the idea. Russo wouldn't budge. Arquette however gave all of his professional wrestling earnings to the families of Owen Hart, Brian Pillman and Darren Drozdov.
I never heard this before, Arquette seems like a good guy. :unsmith:

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
His wikipedia page seemed like a smark edited it, the wrestling section is longer than the rest of the article combined.

wikipedia posted:

In 2002, Arquette made one more appearance on a professional wrestling show, popping up in the crowd of the February 8, 2002 episode of the World Wrestling Federation's SmackDown! holding up a sign reading "Former WCW World Champ."[17]

At least he has a sense of humor about it :)

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

The Landstander posted:

I like how this thread is 36 pages long and there's still lists of dumb poo poo WCW did to be discussed, but...
I never heard this before, Arquette seems like a good guy. :unsmith:

If he still has any of that money and bought John Cena acting lessons he would be the greatest American who has ever lived.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Moose Bigelow posted:

If he still has any of that money and bought John Cena acting lessons he would be the greatest American who has ever lived.

He did

They were with Al Pacino :smith:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
• Benoit left the company as WCW champion. He offered to lose the title to whoever they wanted but was told instead to just leave. Those backstage who questioned the move were told that Benoit was a vanilla midget who would never draw. Guerrero, Malenko and Saturn were all granted unconditional releases aswell. Despite being midcarders most of their WCW careers, their RAW debut drew a 6.59 rating to Nitro's 2.79. The peak of Raw's ratings was during the main event, featuring - you guessed it - Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero and Saturn, AKA The "Vanilla Midgets". Their match drew a rating of 8.

(I still feel WWF hosed this one up by not keeping them together longer, adding Jericho and Big Show, then making their own NWOish group. But entertaining once the bell rings)

• Hogan claimed on TV in 2000 nobody in the industry under the age of 40 could draw. This was in the middle of the Austin era in which Austin became the biggest draw in wrestling history. He was in his mid 30s. Goldberg, WCW's biggest draw in the year previous, was also under 40 by a distance.

• They failed to advertise a PPV and revealed no matches before it in 1999. At a loss it was advertised it by saying "We're the advertising agency and they won't even tell us who's going to be there. Tune in!". Not suprisingly the buyrate was shocking.

(Which PPV was this?)

• Heenan's "Who's side is he on?" comment when Hogan appeared as the third man of the nWo was totally unscripted. He was severely reprimanded for giving away the heel turn.

(I love this because I always assumed it was just Heenan being an rear end, as would all wrestling fans)

• On the April 17th 2000 edition of Nitro a comment was made on commentary that "In the new WCW there were going to be real winners and losers" because the referees "were not going to call for DQs.
" The problem with that? The next three matches ALL ended in disqualification!!

• In June 2000 WCW paid $50,000 to place an ad in a newspaper for their Monday Nitro show that week. the ad didn't appear until the Thursday after the show.

And here's the worst one ever. I almost can't believe it's true. Even AOL would know when there's a ton of money coming their way.

• Time Warner rejected an offer of $500,000,000 to buy WCW a year before they sold for less than $3,000,000 to Vince McMahon.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dylar Addict posted:

He did

They were with Al Pacino :smith:

Hooahpadoo?

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
I was under the impression Heenan did not know about the heel turn and was just attacking Hogan as he normally did, in-character.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

I was under the impression Heenan did not know about the heel turn and was just attacking Hogan as he normally did, in-character.

Yeah, that was how I understood it, especially with the tone of his voice. Had I been watching it live, I would have brushed it off and figured it was just Bobby Heenan being a jerk/The Bobby Heenan I love.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
If you think about it Russo is a damned genius and did a loving fantastic job in his booking. You never knew when something was a legitimate gently caress up or if everything was going perfectly as planned. It was so meta, that even though 10 years has passed people still have no idea what the gently caress.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If someone's booking results in the company losing enough money that it gets shut down despite having the number one rated show on its network, I don't think that you can say the booker is a genius just because you can't figure out how much of what he said was bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure everything Russo's ever booked counts as a "gently caress Up."

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Lamuella posted:

If someone's booking results in the company losing enough money that it gets shut down despite having the number one rated show on its network, I don't think that you can say the booker is a genius just because you can't figure out how much of what he said was bullshit.

I'm still operating under the assumption that Russo was a WWE plant sent to destroy WCW from the inside. We just haven't seen the payoff yet.

Also, how loving professional is Raven. In that Thundermania video a fan jump the railing and pulls him out of the ring by his hair end over end and Raven doesn't start beating the loving poo poo out of the dude or anything, he stays completely in character and treats it like it's just something else to further him into his pit of depression/despair. What bridges has he burned that he's not working backstage with WWE?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 26, 2010

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."

Wrestlingfigs posted:

Jericho was involved in another segment backstage where he was chasing another wrestler. The cameras didn't cut and so the viewing audience were treated to seeing the two wrestlers suddenly stop running, turn round and walk casually towards the camera while chatting away.

-- And we'll get this soon on TNA as well.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

maniacripper posted:

Also, how loving professional is Raven. In that Thundermania video a fan jump the railing and pulls him out of the ring by his hair end over end and Raven doesn't start beating the loving poo poo out of the dude or anything, he stays completely in character and treats it like it's just something else to further him into his pit of depression/despair. What bridges has he burned that he's not working backstage with WWE?

He took teenaged Shane out on the town and fed him drugs and hookers

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

maniacripper posted:

I was going to respond to this but then this happened...

HVD posted:

He took teenaged Shane out on the town and fed him drugs and hookers
And this is quite literally true. Raven talked about it in one of his shoot interviews. When he was Johnny Polo he was big friends with Shane. They may have even had a semi-homosexual experience together.

More than that, though, Raven really doesn't like working for Vince.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The big nail in the coffin was that he was one of the big supporters of WWE wrestlers getting employee benefits / health care. And how could Vince possibly keep that kind of un-loyal son of a bitch on the payroll?!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

maniacripper posted:

I'm still operating under the assumption that Russo was a WWE plant sent to destroy WCW from the inside. We just haven't seen the payoff yet.

apparently, all throughout 2000, WWF wrestlers would occasionally ask Vince McMahon "Russo still works for us, right?"

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

LividLiquid posted:

More than that, though, Raven really doesn't like working for Vince.

The feeling is mutual. JR hired Raven without Vince's say so and Vince got really pissed off since he was still bitter about Raven getting Shane drunk/high/laid. That's why Raven never got a push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HVD posted:

The feeling is mutual. JR hired Raven without Vince's say so and Vince got really pissed off since he was still bitter about Raven getting Shane drunk/high/laid. That's why Raven never got a push.
I've always loved the story of Vince saying "Jesus Christ, who hired Raven?!" and storming off.