Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I've read through a few of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. All the women in the series look like men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Soooo, I've never read a lot of the Ultimate series, but does it follow (kind of) the regular Amazing Spider-Man series? I was actually kind of happy that they were keeping up with Peter's original streak with the ladies instead of just chickening out and setting him up with Mary Jane in Spectacular Spider-Man

I don't think I've touched a Marvel comic since the 90's, but I do know that the Ultimate universe started Peter Parker off in high school and that he eventually hooked up with MJ because it's a Spider-Man comic and that's how it goes.

Spectacular Spider-Man cherry picked from the original Marvel universe, Ultimate universe, and the movie series, respectively.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Episode posted:

I don't think I've touched a Marvel comic since the 90's, but I do know that the Ultimate universe started Peter Parker off in high school and that he eventually hooked up with MJ because it's a Spider-Man comic and that's how it goes.

He's not with her now. Honestly Ultimate Spider-man is pretty great and I'd be fine if they just animated an adaptation of it.

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

He's not with her now. Honestly Ultimate Spider-man is pretty great and I'd be fine if they just animated an adaptation of it.

I've heard nothing but good things of the Ultimate Spider-Man series, so I'm cautiously optimistic that a good creative team can do an awesome take of it in the new cartoon.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Episode posted:

I've heard nothing but good things of the Ultimate Spider-Man series, so I'm cautiously optimistic that a good creative team can do an awesome take of it in the new cartoon.

I think the only significant difference I recall was just that Pete got bitten by a genetically altered spider (...like in the movie I guess) because everyone realised the silliness of a radioactive spider from the 60s (I dunno, genetically altered spider passing on spider-like traits to a human is about as implausible as a radioactive spider so who cares?)

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Well, Joe Murray has a new animation website.

There is also an interview with Jessica Borutski. She is the animator on The Looney Tunes Show. I always thought the character designs looked familiar.

Jessica Borutskis' blog:
http://jessicaborutski.blogspot.com/

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 28, 2010

Episode
Mar 27, 2010
I really don't have a problem with the new character designs. They haven't been drastically changed and they look nice and vibrant.

If anything, my gripe is with the hackneyed, sitcom premise of Bugs and Daffy being roommates in suburbia interspersed with 'Music Videos'. I'm a hard sell on musical stuff.
But, if the writing is classic, clever Loony Toons humor, it might not be that bad.

thelaughingman posted:

Well, Joe Murray has a new animation website.

There's a test episode for 'Frog In A Suit' here, as well as Murray explaining the whole situation pretty well despite looking like he just came off of a three-day bender.

I'm not really sold on it yet. KaboingTV sounds like something that would have been innovative seven or eight years ago when flash cartoons weren't a dime a dozen and channels like Cartoon Network and Disney didn't offer free episodes of their shows on their websites. I think it's going to be hard for Murray to generate a lot of interest in his pet project.

I wish him the best of luck, though. I can appreciate going the independent route, and I do hope something comes of this even though I'm really pessimistic.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Looking at those character designs the only two I dislike are Sylvester (who has too much of a fatass) and Petunia, but then she never really had an agreed upon and iconic look anyway so if you have to change someone...

bondster
May 6, 2007

I really don't know where else to post this but they are going to make new Thundercats...anime for Cartoon Network

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Is it just me, or has there been a lot of news lately about new Thundercats projects ever since the creator died? It's like everyone knew it was going to happen and decided to hold out until he was murdered for the extra publicity. :tinfoil:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Macrame_God posted:

Is it just me, or has there been a lot of news lately about new Thundercats projects ever since the creator died? It's like everyone knew it was going to happen and decided to hold out until he was murdered for the extra publicity. :tinfoil:

That or there was some rights dispute that he was being stubborn on and his next of kin were more open to.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bondster posted:

I really don't know where else to post this but they are going to make new Thundercats...anime for Cartoon Network
Studio 4c makes this something everyone must pay attention to. Their entire body of work is pretty awesome, even their kids show was pretty good for a kids show.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

Macrame_God posted:

Huh? Far as I can tell he died in 1999 of old age.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The writer died last week

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.

Sockser posted:

The writer died last week

Thought that was just the artist.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

This was something that I really hoped Sean Galloway would do.

Click here for the full 1447x792 image.

edit:

Click here for the full 560x756 image.

Click here for the full 770x648 image.

Click here for the full 786x510 image.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 3, 2010

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Studio 4c makes this something everyone must pay attention to. Their entire body of work is pretty awesome, even their kids show was pretty good for a kids show.

Holy poo poo, that means that this is, for all intents, Thundercats Animated.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
That art style looks like Mac Hall.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

A 4°C shorts entitled Kung Fu Love.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

TigerMoJo posted:

I watched an episode of the most retarded cartoon the other day. I think it was on Disney but I'm not 100% and I can't remember what it was called. It was Asian themed and I think had something to do with humans vs. animals. The characters were mostly strange things that didn't look like either. There was this gigantic helmet machine that looked like a Nazi thing. I know this is the worst description ever but if anyone has a clue please let me know.

Hero 120 (or whatever the number is)? God, it's awful. I think everyone willingly involved with that show needs to be locked in an elevator and forced to watch just one episode, while all suffering hangovers, just so they can understand exactly what they've created.

If only they'd cancel that show, Johnny Test, and Garfield, I'd be a happy camper--oh, and while they're at it, those two Flash-animated teenager shows, too.

(Actually, at this point, I hate pretty much all Flash cartoons--or at least, those which were obviously done in Flash. You know the kind. The only well-animated one I can think of seems to be Kick Buttowski.)

Oh, and I adore Phineas and Ferb, but as someone who's never really gotten into the Fairly Odd Parents and Powerpuff Girls largely because of the animation style, I can understand being leery about a show because you're not keen on its aesthetic.

thelaughingman posted:

So, what's the consensus on Fanboy and Chumchum?

That a prescription of Ritalin would do them a lot of good.

Oh, and speaking of ugly character designs:

Sockser posted:

Interesting premise, too, and they kill it with ugly dragons and ebonics.

Aces High posted:

And yes, Stoked, 6teen, and all Total Drama Whatever are from Fresh TV (which I guess is Canadian)

As is Monster Buster Club, which is worse than all of those put together, and then some.

Oh, and you guys changed the title of Beast Wars to Beasties, and you got your panties in a twist over the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles and Michelangelo's nunchuks.

I love you, Canada, but sometimes, you make it very, very hard. :(

Sockser posted:

Spectacular Spider-man is absolutely amazing and I thought the third season was in the works.

I loved every episode. It did a great job with everything that all the other series/movies never really played up. The different love interests, being a real person in addition to spider-man, villains doing villainous things instead of over-the-top bullshit etc

That show actually made me really like Spiderman, after the early 90's cartoon had made me hate him, because there, he was cast as a whiny, neurotic little martyr, like Jesus crossed (ha) with Woody Allen.

But, apparently, everything I love has to die. :(

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Disney is planning on giving "Phineas & Ferb" a big push.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phineas and Ferb Sell Out?

I'm a little wary of a Fireside Girls spin-off, but it could be good.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

If only they'd cancel that show, Johnny Test, and Garfield, I'd be a happy camper--oh, and while they're at it, those two Flash-animated teenager shows, too.
Sorry to bash Johnny Test like a pinata, but goddamn, is the animation for that show awful or what? Too many sharp corners for my liking and it looks trashy as well. It makes the animation for Phineas and Ferb (which also has characters with a lot of sharp corners) look like a masterpiece.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Oh, and you guys changed the title of Beast Wars to Beasties, and you got your panties in a twist over the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles and Michelangelo's nunchuks.

I love you, Canada, but sometimes, you make it very, very hard. :(
I don't know about Beast Wars, but I can definitely say for sure that the Ninja Turtles name change was in the UK, not Canada. :britain:

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.
Rewatched all the Angry Beavers episodes put on Netflix, and wow, that show was too smart for its own good. The wordplay was amazing. The Yak In A Sak episode probably being one of my favorites.

That and Norbert and I share a love for terrible black and white sci-fi B-movies.

"Your underwear says Wednesday? That's strange. Mine say October."

"As? What's as?"
"It's A.S., it's an O-mage to Jules Verne."

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Speaking of the Angry Beavers, did the final episode ever get released in any way? Supposedly it utterly trashed Nick's strategy of showing tons of re-runs and awkward way of releasing new episodes of shows, and was never aired.

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Amorphous Blob posted:

Speaking of the Angry Beavers, did the final episode ever get released in any way? Supposedly it utterly trashed Nick's strategy of showing tons of re-runs and awkward way of releasing new episodes of shows, and was never aired.

Only thing I can find is wiki articles about a bunch of episodes that aired overseas and not in the us, and this quote from Everything2:

Daggett: "Norbie? What happens when you're...over?"
Norbert: "Oh, it's not so bad. If the cartoon's good, even if it isn't, it's rerun-incarnated!"
Dag: "Ooh...does that hurt?"
Norb: "No... Only when you get the later checks. The Cartoon-Being-Over Guys rerun it over and over and they make lots of well deserved money."
Dag: "Which they share with the people who made the cartoon, right?"
Norb: (laughs uproariously) "Right. So you see it's all for the better."
Dag: "Right!"
Norb: "Even though we're vanishing we'll be back over and over again at virtually no cost to the Network!"

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

There's also this audio track featuring voice actors Richard Horvitz (Dag) and Nick Bakay (Norb) recreating the last episode for a podcast. Don't know how legit it is though.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
Holy poo poo. That Garfield show has what is probably the worst CGI in recent memory. It looks like it was made in 1996-7 :psyduck:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shadow The Rat posted:

Only thing I can find is wiki articles about a bunch of episodes that aired overseas and not in the us, and this quote from Everything2:

Daggett: "Norbie? What happens when you're...over?"
Norbert: "Oh, it's not so bad. If the cartoon's good, even if it isn't, it's rerun-incarnated!"
Dag: "Ooh...does that hurt?"
Norb: "No... Only when you get the later checks. The Cartoon-Being-Over Guys rerun it over and over and they make lots of well deserved money."
Dag: "Which they share with the people who made the cartoon, right?"
Norb: (laughs uproariously) "Right. So you see it's all for the better."
Dag: "Right!"
Norb: "Even though we're vanishing we'll be back over and over again at virtually no cost to the Network!"
:drat: That's brilliant.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

Sorry to bash Johnny Test like a pinata, but goddamn, is the animation for that show awful or what? Too many sharp corners for my liking and it looks trashy as well. It makes the animation for Phineas and Ferb (which also has characters with a lot of sharp corners) look like a masterpiece.

To be honest the character designs are the only thing halfway decent about that show (and, I suppose, the bland but not terrible voice acting,) they remind me of Cartoon Network/WB stuff from ten or so years ago.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 23, 2010

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Shadow The Rat posted:

:drat:

What a fantastic "gently caress you". I should go watch a few episodes for nostalgias sake.

Meeble posted:

Holy poo poo. That Garfield show has what is probably the worst CGI in recent memory. It looks like it was made in 1996-7 :psyduck:

I like how absolutely nothing is shaded, and rather than actually animating anything they just made everything bob back and forth as though it were neck deep in water.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Shadow The Rat posted:

"As? What's as?"
"It's A.S., it's an O-mage to Jules Verne."

The S.S. Ssssssssss! (I only had an S stencil).

THE HOWLER LEECHES ARE COMING!
SEND MORE MONEY! I'LL SEND MORE STUFF!

And a running gag that really amuses me in the Halloween episode- every time their favorite B-movie actor Oxnard Montalvo is mentioned they pull out a picture of him, except it's a different picture every time, so it starts out with something like "Regards, Oxnard Montalvo" and eventually becomes things like "Please stop writing me, Oxnard Montalvo" and finally "Cease and Desist by order of Hollywood P.D."

Y-Hat posted:

Phineas and Ferb Sell Out?

I'm a little wary of a Fireside Girls spin-off, but it could be good.

The other potential spin-off- the talk show where they interview celebrities- sounds like it could be interesting, as the idea sounds like it could be a lot like Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Though to really up the comic potential, they'd have to put Doofenshmirtz and/or Monogram in there somehow- as some of the promotional materials and the "top 10 music video" episode show, they're definitely funny apart, but make an even better team (which I guess isn't suprising, as Povenmire and Marsh have known each other for like 15 years now).

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 24, 2010

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

mobo85 posted:

The other potential spin-off- the talk show where they interview celebrities- sounds like it could be interesting, as the idea sounds like it could be a lot like Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Though to really up the comic potential, they'd have to put Doofenshmirtz and/or Monogram in there somehow- as some of the promotional materials and the "top 10 music video" episode show, they're definitely funny apart, but make an even better team (which I guess isn't suprising, as Povenmire and Marsh have known each other for like 15 years now).

While the celebrity interview thing sounds a little sketchy, I approve of Povenmire and Marsh riffing off of each other.

I wonder how involved they would actually be in the spin-offs? The interview show features Phineas and Ferb if the New York Times article is to be believed, so Dan and Jeff would probably have a significant hand in it. However, the Fireside Girls show suggests an Executive Producer credit at best for the two.

Naturally, this is all conjecture.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Episode posted:

There's also this audio track featuring voice actors Richard Horvitz (Dag) and Nick Bakay (Norb) recreating the last episode for a podcast. Don't know how legit it is though.

Based on the fact that this includes the "rerunincarnated" dialogue bit that writer Micah Wright once had the original recording of on his website, uses being cancelled as a metaphor for death or vice versa (just as was mentioned in a licensed book about the history of Nicktoons), and features a joke in which Daggett takes pleasure in saying "shut up"*, I would imagine the script was the original one- except of course for Rich and Nick calling each other by their real names (and Nick being called "Salem"), which I assume is just the voice actors being goofy during their recreation.

*In the later years of the series, "shut up" was a big taboo. There was one episode where a "shut up" had to be overdubbed with "shush up" but Nick Bakay wasn't available in time to do it for the first airing, so it originally aired with the "shut" being bleeped- which made me think he was saying "gently caress off" since the "up" sounded a little like "off."

Episode
Mar 27, 2010

mobo85 posted:

*In the later years of the series, "shut up" was a big taboo. There was one episode where a "shut up" had to be overdubbed with "shush up" but Nick Bakay wasn't available in time to do it for the first airing, so it originally aired with the "shut" being bleeped- which made me think he was saying "gently caress off" since the "up" sounded a little like "off."
Ha, ha. I remember seeing that episode as a kid and making up a bunch of conspiracy theories with friends about how that must have been a gag take that censors missed at the last second resulting in Nickelodeon having to bleep it. It did get dubbed over for subsequent airings.

mobo85 posted:

except of course for Rich and Nick calling each other by their real names (and Nick being called "Salem"), which I assume is just the voice actors being goofy during their recreation.
Probably pointless trivia, but Nick Bakay also voiced Salem the Cat in the live action Sabrina the Teenage Witch show, as well as the animated series. Not that I'm a fan of the shows, dude just has a really distinctive voice.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Just caught a clip of the new Scooby Doo thats premiering next week on CN. Everything about it seems generally better than the crap that was What's New Scooby Doo. Animation, voices, writing all seemed at the very least decent.

Best part is that Fred's dad who I believe is the sheriff might become a recurring character which is awesome because he's voiced by Patrick Warburton :swoon:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Episode posted:

Oh boy, now CN can oversaturate the programming line-up with another cheaply made French cartoon! Gee, I hope they run this back to back with the horribly unfunny Garfield Show?

I saw Garfield Show on the guide one day and thought "holy poo poo, the cartoon I watched as a kid is on Cartoon Network! No way!"

Ten minutes later I was trying to find a gun to put to my head

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aces High posted:

Soooo, I've never read a lot of the Ultimate series, but does it follow (kind of) the regular Amazing Spider-Man series? I was actually kind of happy that they were keeping up with Peter's original streak with the ladies instead of just chickening out and setting him up with Mary Jane in Spectacular Spider-Man

Sorta. He's with MJ fairly early on, but it's not all lovey-dovey all the time. They fight and break up a couple times. The major story points are there, but characters are often totally rewritten from their mainstream counterpart (Harry Osborn is the Hobgoblin as a result of being exposed to his dad's experiments, also the Goblins actually transform into this huge demonic things instead of just putting on tights). It's the best version of Spider-Man in a long long time.

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

bondster posted:

Just caught a clip of the new Scooby Doo thats premiering next week on CN. Everything about it seems generally better than the crap that was What's New Scooby Doo. Animation, voices, writing all seemed at the very least decent.

Best part is that Fred's dad who I believe is the sheriff might become a recurring character which is awesome because he's voiced by Patrick Warburton :swoon:

I was expecting to be a bit miffed about this but having watched the trailer, I think it could be really great. I liked the Mystery Team-like angle that their parents are disappointed in them and that they're still doing this poo poo.

That and the two things someone has to say to get me to watch a cartoon instantly is "H. Jon Benjamin" or "Patrick Warburton."

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Shadow The Rat posted:

I was expecting to be a bit miffed about this but having watched the trailer, I think it could be really great. I liked the Mystery Team-like angle that their parents are disappointed in them and that they're still doing this poo poo.

That and the two things someone has to say to get me to watch a cartoon instantly is "H. Jon Benjamin" or "Patrick Warburton."

I had no interest before, and now I am at Peak Interest, based solely on this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Having just watched the first Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc., I'm still a bit on the fence. It reminds me of that Simpsons line where Roger Meyers is asking kids what they want to see on Itchy and Scratchy: "You want a realistic, down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?" You still have Scooby-Doo running around, being a goofball, and dressing in drag while solving mysteries with the kids, but at the same time the kids are looked down upon by their parents because of this nonsense they go through- mainly because the town's tourism is based around all of these fake monsters. It's an interesting idea, but it just doesn't seem to "gel" with the whole goofy, carefree image of Scooby-Doo and the gang. And for some reason there's also a black radio DJ with an afro and a guy named Mr E. who's warning them that there's a deeper mystery behind the mystery or something. And he's voiced by Lewis Black. And Shaggy's dad is voiced by Casey Kasem, which I thought was clever. And Velma and Shaggy like each other but they don't want Fred and Daphne to know.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 13, 2010