Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

LividLiquid posted:

I've always loved the story of Vince saying "Jesus Christ, who hired Raven?!" and storming off.

Its like the Macho Man/Stephanie story except 100% true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The American Dream posted:

• They failed to advertise a PPV and revealed no matches before it in 1999. At a loss it was advertised it by saying "We're the advertising agency and they won't even tell us who's going to be there. Tune in!". Not suprisingly the buyrate was shocking.

(Which PPV was this?)

Fall Brawl '99, IIRC.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Did WCW ever put a pay per view on the same night as a WWF pay per view? I know there was a Clash Of Champions that was on the same night as one many years ago, but I didn't know if there had been any others

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure everything Russo's ever booked counts as a "gently caress Up."

The only thing I thought he did right, Lance Storm's push, was all Terry Taylor. The moment it went downhill was when Russo went, "WOW, YOU DID GET HIM OVAH, LET ME HANDLE HIM NOW TERRY"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HVD posted:

Its like the Macho Man/Stephanie story except 100% true
And more homoerotic.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lamuella posted:

Did WCW ever put a pay per view on the same night as a WWF pay per view? I know there was a Clash Of Champions that was on the same night as one many years ago, but I didn't know if there had been any others

Free shows have run against both WCW & WWE PPVs, but no cable provider would have two wrestling PPVs on at the same time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HVD posted:

The feeling is mutual. JR hired Raven without Vince's say so and Vince got really pissed off since he was still bitter about Raven getting Shane drunk/high/laid. That's why Raven never got a push.

Raven also doesn't get along with half the agents/most of the office there, so that didn't help him much either. It's a shame, because he'd be perfect to run developmental for them now, but he's too obnoxious for most of the humorless jocks in WWE to put up with.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
God I'm posting a lot about Russo. But anyway he says his justification for putting the belt on Arquette was that the title meant poo poo at the time, so who cares. The company was in the shitter and he needed to do something to get people talking about WCW again. Something to make the company worth talking about, like the WWF. So he put the title on Arquette.

It got WCW a lot of mainstream press actually, like mentions on entertainment shows. Courtney Cox even shot some sort of big promo video with David on another show with the belt, for free.

He says that even today he'd do it again, because look at us, we're still talking about that one WCW title change 10 years later. Of course we also talk about other horrible things today, it doesn't mean they were good ideas.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

God I'm posting a lot about Russo. But anyway he says his justification for putting the belt on Arquette was that the title meant poo poo at the time, so who cares. The company was in the shitter and he needed to do something to get people talking about WCW again. Something to make the company worth talking about, like the WWF. So he put the title on Arquette.

It got WCW a lot of mainstream press actually, like mentions on entertainment shows. Courtney Cox even shot some sort of big promo video with David on another show with the belt, for free.

He says that even today he'd do it again, because look at us, we're still talking about that one WCW title change 10 years later. Of course we also talk about other horrible things today, it doesn't mean they were good ideas.

That's the problem though. "Talking about something" doesn't mean it drew. It also doesn't mean it was good for business.

People still talk about the Atari 2600 "E-T" disaster, but it doesn't mean that's a good thing.

It was also Vince Russo himself who helped put that belt in the shitter and helped put the company in the shitter. Putting the belt on Arquette did more damage to the company. The mainstream press did not equal higher ratings.

This is one of Russo's biggest shortcomings. If people talk about you and they are saying, "WCW is loving stupid. They've ruined the company putting the belt on a lovely actor. I'm not watching them ever again", THAT'S NOT GOOD BUSINESS. If you're getting mainstream press because you made a stupid decision, THAT'S NOT GOOD BUSINESS.

It's amazing because if there was one man who from Russo's booking days could have saved WCW, or at least got them out of the gutter, it's Bill Goldberg. And he was so badly mis-used. So badly.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

He says that even today he'd do it again, because look at us, we're still talking about the holocaust 75 years later. Of course we also talk about other horrible things today, it doesn't mean they were good ideas.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

instant but distasteful rejoinder to the idea that "talked about" = "good idea". Who is the most talked about wrestler of the last 3 years in non wrestling media? I'll give you a clue: he's in a closet with Jamie Noble jerking off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lamuella posted:

instant but distasteful rejoinder to the idea that "talked about" = "good idea". Who is the most talked about wrestler of the last 3 years in non wrestling media? I'll give you a clue: he's in a closet with Jamie Noble jerking off.

K I need to read this Jamie Noble story now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Brock Lesnar?

EDIT: Also the Jamie Noble story is basically this:

Benoit, Noble, and some other guy were at a hooter's. Their waitress flirted with the other guy and Noble and Benoit pulled him aside, and Noble went like "Ok, here's how it's gonna work. You're gonna gently caress her, and we're gonna hide in the closet and jerk off."

I am bad at telling stories from memory.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 26, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I believe the other guy was Paul London. They were at a restaurant, some guy was rude to the waitress, Benoit told London to say something. London went over, told the guys off, and the waitress started getting flirty with him.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

triplexpac posted:

That's such a Russo way of thinking. WCW Title means nothing? Why not make it worse!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling is on the biography channel right now and it's pretty amazing seeing children stand in line with signs rooting for The Total Package

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

• Sting pinned Lex Luger for a three count after backdropping him into a swimming pool.

Is this on the internet anywhere? I did a :google: search and checked youtube but couldn't find anything.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
WCW would have spring breakout every year, and someone would always fall in the pool.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

triplexpac posted:

I was there live, it was glorious, I'll never forget it. I always get a tear in my eye hen I walk into the War Memorial Arena for a minor league hockey game.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

• Sting pinned Lex Luger for a three count after backdropping him into a swimming pool.

According to DDT Digest, Sting did backdrop Luger into the pool at that year's Spring Break Nitro, but the pinfall came much later. (Not that the rest of the match is any less ridiculous.)

As excerpted from DDT Digest:

quote:

# Sting and Luger leave the ring and brawl towards a pool near a hotel.
* Ahh! Here's this year's pool victim.
# Vamp sells Flair's chops, that's a first.
# Flair goes to work on Vamp's arm.
# Luger sets Sting up for a piledriver, while Liz throws something at Sting, which does nothing but cause her to laugh.
# Sting reverses and backdrops Luger into the pool.
# Sting chases Liz off while Luger gets out.
# Back in the ring, Vamp has Flair in a leg-lock.
# A waiter gets in between Luger and Sting, so Luger grabs his tray and hits Sting with it.
# Luger than shoves the waiter into the pool.
# Flair took control in the ring, but Vamp comes back with a sunset flip.
# Sting and Luger fight over towards a bar, where Liz throws a tray of dip on Sting.
# Luger tries to shove Sting's face in a bowl of guacamole, instead Sting throws the bowl over Luger's head, then shoves Luger's face in a bowl of dip.
Dip for the dip!
# Flair has Vamp in a figure four, pretty good Vampiro chant.
* Beats the dozen drunken frat boys chanting Hogan.
# Sting and Luger brawl towards the beach, where Sting hits Luger with an inflatable tube, but Liz counters by hitting Sting with an inflatable Shamu!
# Devastating!
# Luger throws Sting into a surf-board, then hits him with it.
# They fight into the water.
# Luger tries a clothesline, Sting kinda' catches him with a Samoan drop.
# Sting piledrives Luger into the water.
# Sting covers and gets the 3 count.
# Your Winner: Sting and Vampiro via pinfall

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Death of WCW has a story about a backstage promo DDP and Kevin Nash did. It was them for a few minutes talking about Scott Hall...but by that point, WCW was so sick of his bullshit that they would drop audio when his name was mentioned. And since they kept mentioning him, the audio dropped a LOT. Also, Nash and DDP were distracted by a swaying overhead light the whole time. Reading about it was hilarious, I'd love to see it.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I am curious as to how a pile driver into the water is a finisher

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I realized I only linked to the DDT Digest index. The show in question was the Nitro on March 27, 2000. Read the recap here.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I figure this is as good a place as any. I've always wondered, where did Russo come from? Was he a TV writer? Did he start in the business? Did he just spontaneously congeal in a booking meeting?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

projecthalaxy posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any. I've always wondered, where did Russo come from? Was he a TV writer? Did he start in the business? Did he just spontaneously congeal in a booking meeting?

IIRC he was a NY area radio show host on a wrestling based call in show who talked poo poo about WWE until they hired him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm fairly certain he got his start writing the then WWF Magazine and Vince called a meeting with the other writers/bookers where he angrily pointed to the magazine and said,"This magazine is better than what we're putting on TV, drat it! I should hire this guy to write our show... in fact, I will!"

Then he power-strutted over the table, dived through the window into some bushes and down the street into the sunset.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Vince Russo was "Vic Venom," editor of WWf magazine. I used to read it all the time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Vince Russo was "Vic Venom," editor of WWf magazine. I used to read it all the time.

How strange a man whose career was to make sure other people's work was cut down to its purest form became infamous for basically having no rhyme or reason or editing at all whatsoever to his own ideas.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Sionistic posted:

I am curious as to how a pile driver into the water is a finisher
Unless it was a different match I'm thinking of it happened on a beach shore. Sting gave him a piledriver on the sand.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The summary of the Luger/Sting beach match has me curious about the Flair Vampiro side in the ring, which is barely covered. So did the audience attendance just get to watch these basically chill out in the ring or something? How long did that Figure Four last on Vampiro?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

WCW would have spring breakout every year, and someone would always fall in the pool.

Or jump into the pool to escape, as Kevin "Spring Break '98 Cannonball Champion" did to avoid the Giant.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

oldpainless posted:

How strange a man whose career was to make sure other people's work was cut down to its purest form became infamous for basically having no rhyme or reason or editing at all whatsoever to his own ideas.

Vic Venom's Rule #1: Everything starts and ends with logic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's two relatively forgotten wrestlers but I'll be damned if I don't remember this match really well for some reason.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MD2020 posted:

Or jump into the pool to escape, as Kevin "Spring Break '98 Cannonball Champion" did to avoid the Giant.

My favorite WCW pool of death story is still the one from 3:00 of Botchamania 71:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtK34cFKlfc

Where Van Hammer tries to go against the word of the gods and put Bull Payne in the pool.

Penile Dementia
Feb 13, 2006

I Left My Heart in Stamford Bridge

TL posted:

Death of WCW has a story about a backstage promo DDP and Kevin Nash did. It was them for a few minutes talking about Scott Hall...but by that point, WCW was so sick of his bullshit that they would drop audio when his name was mentioned. And since they kept mentioning him, the audio dropped a LOT. Also, Nash and DDP were distracted by a swaying overhead light the whole time. Reading about it was hilarious, I'd love to see it.

Same here. I've been looking for it for ages, too.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My favorite WCW pool of death story is still the one from 3:00 of Botchamania 71:

Where Van Hammer tries to go against the word of the gods and put Bull Payne in the pool.

I've asked this before in another thread but never got an answer so I'll try again.

Was Van Hammer the wrestler who posted a picture of himself next to a lamp in his living room in GBS or am I thinking of another WCW wrestler like Horace Hogan or Berlin?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

It's two relatively forgotten wrestlers but I'll be damned if I don't remember this match really well for some reason.

:frogc00l:

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
This isn't super interesting (especially since I don't have a video or specifics) but I remember one Nitro after the announce table had been positioned at ringside. Bischoff was announcing for some reason and they had the table (which was normally sturdy as gently caress) gimmicked because someone was going to take a bump through it later on. Well two midcarders are fighting and one slams the other face-first onto the gimmicked table and the camera accidentally pans over to Bischoff who is going crazy telling the two wrestlers to get the gently caress away from the table, complete with arm motions.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DJExile posted:

:frogc00l:

:argh:

I don't what's funnier, Van Hammer's childish stupidity or the fact that they had to have a group meet to forbid everyone from doing pool spots all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

:argh:

I don't what's funnier, Van Hammer's childish stupidity or the fact that they had to have a group meet to forbid everyone from doing pool spots all night.

You have to believe that a talent could kill a busload of nuns while high on PCP and nude and keep their job in WCW, but if someone did a bump into the pool outside of the main event they'd be fired on the spot.