Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

mrtoodles posted:

Did she not see today's ATL post?

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/10-an-hour-for-a-j-d/

Following that link, I also found another article for our friend:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/the-tier-system-within-the-law-school-tiers-according-to-shell-oil/

A job opportunity, but what's this...

"To be considered for this position, a candidate graduating from: a tier I law school (rated as being in the top 50 law schools nationally), must have graduated in the top 40%; tier II law schools (51-100) must have graduated in the top 25%; tier III school must have graduated in the top 10%; and a tier IV school must have graduated in the top 5%"

What can I say? Up theirs for being shallow, ignorant dickheads, but in any event do not allow your girlfriend to go that t4 law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007
I had to google Western State. It's in Fullerton. I was born and raised the next city over and I have never even heard of this school. That can't be a good sign.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

I had to google Western State. It's in Fullerton. I was born and raised the next city over and I have never even heard of this school. That can't be a good sign.

I took the LSAT there. You have no idea how depressing the campus is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

I took the LSAT there. You have no idea how depressing the campus is.

But it's a law school and that has to count for something WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU TO JUDGE??? WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Another un(legal)employed law grad here. I have a job, but it is the same job I had before and during law school. A job that requires only a 4 year bachelor's degree. A job my boss straight up told me the other day he wouldn't hire me for NOW because now that I have a JD and a law license I am OVERqualified. At our swearing in at the beginning of this month, not a single one of my classmates has a legal job either. One works as a checkout girl at Whole Foods, another is sitting around doing nothing because snowplowing season is over which is what he did last winter. I've made the (alternate) selection list for JAG and had a couple of other interviews but essentially I am right where I began before law school started only now I owe the Federal Government 150k for the pleasure of having attended. And I went to Loyola Chicago, an objectively better law school in an arguably better legal market. Your girlfriend may be dumb for jumping onto a sinking ship, but even dumber would be to blindly follow along behind her when you know the facts.

Bottom line is that even if you convince her not to go, she'll always resent you for standing in the way of her "opportunity". When she does go and all of our predictions come horribly true, you'll be the one left holding the bag with a 24 year old unemployable six-figure debt-laden girlfriend who is angry and bitter. It's lose/lose for you dude.

Sever!

(mixing e/n and a/t a lil here)

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

Also grew up one city over. I'd vaguely heard of it, and knew it was somewhere in Southern California, but I couldn't have told you what city.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love how this thread has devolved into testimonials about unemployment in the legal field. If we keep this up for another two or three pages, this thread is going to become a sucking black hole.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Lykourgos posted:

Dear Lord, the pain. I wonder what usually happens at that point; do you just fail the bar, or do you go into overtime? I reckon I might simply take it by hand really.

So glad I found employment, so glad.

Hey in all seriousness you're a smart guy, if you just actually put in some time prepping you'll pass the bar no problem. I'd just hand write it - the $100 to take it on a computer is basically wasted money.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

entris posted:

I love how this thread has devolved into testimonials about unemployment in the legal field. If we keep this up for another two or three pages, this thread is going to become a sucking black hole.

As a sucking black hole it will be a good representation of legal education. If I had it all to do over again I wouldn't have gone to law school, which is really motivating me to study for the bar. Arrgh.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
Normally, this is where I chime in that you can get a job going to a lower-tiered school. I tell everyone how elitist this thread gets sometimes and you shouldn't automatically rule out law school if you can't get into a top school. I stand by that for the most part, while recognizing that getting a job is often (if not always) more difficult at lower-ranked schools. However, I can't even do that in this case because these schools are so bad. That's how bad of an idea this is.

Warp, don't let your girlfriend go if you can at all help it! But at some point, you can't force her not to go and she'll have to live with the consequences of her decisions. You will then need to determine whether you're willing to live with them also.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Defleshed posted:

Bottom line is that even if you convince her not to go, she'll always resent you for standing in the way of her "opportunity". When she does go and all of our predictions come horribly true, you'll be the one left holding the bag with a 24 year old unemployable six-figure debt-laden girlfriend who is angry and bitter. It's lose/lose for you dude.

Sever!

(mixing e/n and a/t a lil here)

You know, the thing is that there is a remote chance that the market might recover enough that if you time it right, you're the 2L in the best year to be a 2L as law firms are looking for associates they "can" bill out at low rates. Lawyers are the kinds of people who latch on to remote chances, so the objectively low probability of this happening unless you're an expert in economic trends is not a deterrent.

This trait actually kind of helps when you're working as a lawyer. Sometimes, you'll have a losing argument and your only remotely colorable argument is a long shot that you have to put forth with extreme conviction. Anything less than a zealot's passion is like the unveiling of the emperor's new clothes.

By the way, I checked this Western's tuition rates. $32K a year just for tuition for a low tier law school? Jesus. I think that's even more than I paid for U.Va. as an in-state student.

It will probably go up as time goes on too.

quepasa18 posted:

Normally, this is where I chime in that you can get a job going to a lower-tiered school. I tell everyone how elitist this thread gets sometimes and you shouldn't automatically rule out law school if you can't get into a top school. I stand by that for the most part, while recognizing that getting a job is often (if not always) more difficult at lower-ranked schools. However, I can't even do that in this case because these schools are so bad. That's how bad of an idea this is.

Warp, don't let your girlfriend go if you can at all help it! But at some point, you can't force her not to go and she'll have to live with the consequences of her decisions. You will then need to determine whether you're willing to live with them also.

I don't think the question should be whether you can get a job at a lower-tiered law school. The question really should be "can I get a job that will make the tuition worth it?" because a JD is not like a bachelor's degree where you seemingly need it nowadays just to prove to any employer that you're not a mouth-breathing idiot.

If only the American high school diploma was still worth a drat.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 28, 2010

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

The Warp posted:

She's wondering who the gently caress you guys are and where are all the unemployed lawyers you're talking about? She thinks that's there's no harm in going to Western State because she'll get her JD and pass the bar exam like every other lawyer, that they all learn the same damned material and they offered her a really huge scholarship. She thinks that you guys are just saying that she won't have a house by the beach or a cushy corporate firm, but I don't think she understands that it's more dire than that.

:ughh:

I need to let this sit for a couple of days because now we're just straight up fighting about it. She thinks she has no choice in the matter and that this is what she wants to do, I should just shut up and support her, blah blah. She thinks that it'll be totally fine if she goes to a lovely school, it's fine if she settles, at least she'll have an edge on people with just undergraduate degrees if she has not be a lawyer and just enter the job market. This is getting so stupid. "Yes, all of these guys on this website are just trying to trick and you and I, and they're not really lawyers or students, it's just a vast network of carefully planned trolls with nothing more important to do than to gently caress with you all day and night."

I am an attorney working at a big firm in NY. The unemployed lawyers are all around her and if she hasn't taken the time to read about them she's doing a poor job researching (or reading the god damned OP).

TyChan posted:

I bet he slept with someone important.

In all seriousness, it's like one of those things where everyone in NYC goes, "well, I know someone from Cardozo who now works at Skadden," and it turns out it's always the same guy (or girl). The snobby part of me thinks that background sticks out in people's minds because it's actually rare. The fact that the school can spin that into making lots of people think it's a commonplace thing really ticks me off.

Using Latham again because I linked to it yesterday - http://latham.com/Attorneys.aspx?page=AttorneySearchResults&school=1419&attorneySearchMode=name 2 attorneys out of 2000.

Oh look, 118 people from Harvard.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

builds character posted:

Using Latham again because I linked to it yesterday - http://latham.com/Attorneys.aspx?page=AttorneySearchResults&school=1419&attorneySearchMode=name 2 attorneys out of 2000.

I like how both Cardozo graduates were cum laude. Unless the standards for cum laude have turned into a complete joke, that shows how obscenely good your grades have to be at that level of school to have a remote chance of getting into a firm at Latham's level.

EDIT: One should probably also notice that none of the Cardozo people are partners either.

75 people from U.Va. Nice.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 28, 2010

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

TyChan posted:

You know, the thing is that there is a remote chance that the market might recover enough that if you time it right, you're the 2L in the best year to be a 2L as law firms are looking for associates they "can" bill out at low rates. Lawyers are the kinds of people who latch on to remote chances, so the objectively low probability of this happening unless you're an expert in economic trends is not a deterrent.

This trait actually kind of helps when you're working as a lawyer. Sometimes, you'll have a losing argument and your only remotely colorable argument is a long shot that you have to put forth with extreme conviction. Anything less than a zealot's passion is like the unveiling of the emperor's new clothes.

By the way, I checked this Western's tuition rates. $32K a year just for tuition for a low tier law school? Jesus. I think that's even more than I paid for U.Va. as an in-state student.

It will probably go up as time goes on too.

I don't think the question should be whether you can get a job at a lower-tiered law school. The question really should be "can I get a job that will make the tuition worth it?" because a JD is not like a bachelor's degree where you seemingly need it nowadays just to prove to any employer that you're not a mouth-breathing idiot.

If only the American high school diploma was still worth a drat.

Has she considered moving out of the hell-hole US Legal Economy? The job market in Canada isn't *as* bad as it is down there. Vancouver and Toronto have large-ish legal markets and the tuition as a foreign student wouldn't be nearly as bad. That or apply to Hong Kong/UK and get your LLB converted? I think the Canada route is better though - most of our schools have converted to the JD already.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Petey posted:

I promise I am not a troll. If your girlfriend wants to talk to someone who was in a similar situation and now has an actual job at a respectable organization outside of the legal industry, send me an email or PM and I will tell her (or you) why it is a bad choice to make.

Add me to the list of people who managed to get non-legal work after law school. I could have gotten the exact same position, with the exact same pay, and would now have BETTER opportunities for advancement if I had taken a year to get a Masters in Accounting instead of taking 3 years to get a law degree.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Add me to the list of people who managed to get non-legal work after law school. I could have gotten the exact same position, with the exact same pay, and would now have BETTER opportunities for advancement if I had taken a year to get a Masters in Accounting instead of taking 3 years to get a law degree.

You got the IRS position, right? I think you talked about this in the thread earlier. Can you give a little more information on applying for non-lawyer jobs with the feds as a recent law school graduate? Did you do a Presidential Management Fellowship or anything like that?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

builds character posted:

Yeah, there are all of 13 Illinois grads, some don't list honors, but most are summa or magna cum laude.

Oh well who wants to work for Latham anyway. . .

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Izzy got a job offer!

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/a-massachusetts-lawyer-you-dont-want-to-work-for-and-a-law-student-you-dont-want-to-hire/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Couldn't be, he didn't call her a friend of the family

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
Hey "The Warp" -

If she won't take it from us, then will she listen to the president of the California Bar Association?

http://calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/c...the%20President

Favorite quote:

"For the foreseeable future the starter jobs that provided traditional training for those lawyers are not coming back "

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Thankfully this thread has completely turned me off from the idea of going to law school. However I was too late to save some of my friends. One is going to Stetson University College of Law and I weep for her and what she has gotten herself into.

How bad is McGeorge School of Law at University of the Pacific? It break Top 100 (at 98). How hosed are the both of them?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Zikan posted:

How bad is McGeorge School of Law at University of the Pacific? It break Top 100 (at 98). How hosed are the both of them?

Assuming they aren't in the top 10 of their class? very hosed.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Solomon Grundy posted:

Hey "The Warp" -

If she won't take it from us, then will she listen to the president of the California Bar Association?

http://calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/c...the%20President

Favorite quote:

"For the foreseeable future the starter jobs that provided traditional training for those lawyers are not coming back "

I'm glad someone in his position is stating this and laying out that there are jobs you can do, but you might have to go on your own in a solo practice to pull them off. That in itself will probably drive a lot of people away from law school since it tends to attract some of the most passive-aggressive, risk-averse people on the planet.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

TyChan posted:

I'm glad someone in his position is stating this and laying out that there are jobs you can do, but you might have to go on your own in a solo practice to pull them off. That in itself will probably drive a lot of people away from law school since it tends to attract some of the most passive-aggressive, risk-averse people on the planet.

Only if they inform themselves before they commit themselves to the course. Once they start down the path, it's quite difficult to convince them to bail.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
In other words, Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Roger_Mudd posted:

Assuming they aren't in the top 10 of their class? very hosed.

I literally cling to qualifiers like these

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Anyone had any experience with motions to consolidate? How is it organized on the order itself? Things like: Which case number is used or party names and such. I couldn't find an example memo in the "old clerk" files, so I'm swinging in the wind a little here...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Zikan posted:

Thankfully this thread has completely turned me off from the idea of going to law school. However I was too late to save some of my friends. One is going to Stetson University College of Law and I weep for her and what she has gotten herself into.

Proper hosed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-0_sL5AAVQ

J Miracle posted:

I literally cling to qualifiers like these

:sotw:

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

Vander posted:

Anyone had any experience with motions to consolidate? How is it organized on the order itself? Things like: Which case number is used or party names and such. I couldn't find an example memo in the "old clerk" files, so I'm swinging in the wind a little here...

Are you just talking about the captioning or the actual consolidation motion? Are you a clerk?

Your best bet is probably to call the clerks office and they should be able to help. Some of the bigger courts will also have local rules on their website that cover these things, but if you're in state court I wouldn't count on it. Similarly, you could also try Pacer or Westlaw for old orders if you have access.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Are you a clerk?

Yup. And the judge just handed to briefs of the movants and told me to write him an order for consolidation. It's my 4th day!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Vander posted:

Yup. And the judge just handed to briefs of the movants and told me to write him an order for consolidation. It's my 4th day!
The judge didn't ask for proposed orders? Tsk, tsk.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
So after week one of being a fancy pants rule 13 prosecutor, I see that I get kicked out of the building at about 4:30 every day and herded down an alley into a bar.

I also see why people do this for a third of the money they would get to do 80 hours of doc review and die alone.

And maybe, just maybe, I am learning to love the law.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Vander posted:

I just happen to have drafted a motion to consolidate today. In my state, at least, it's:

code:
                       [New Cause Number]
[New Caption]

[Old Cause Number]

[Old Caption]

MOTION TO CONSOLIDATE

Now comes blah blah blah bringing this motion to consolidate and would show:
[reasons for consolidation]...
The order should mirror your motion to consolidate.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Ainsley, do you put your JD on your resume when you submit it?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Alaemon posted:

Ainsley, do you put your JD on your resume when you submit it?

You didn't ask me, but I tried leaving my JD off and changing "Summer Associate" to "Law Clerk" (an ambiguous term I've seen applied to both paralegal positions and lawyer positions), and changing the dates so they are just in years to disguise the fact they are just summer positions, dumbing down my job description, and still nothing. I think they Google - drat an uncommon name.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm going to give up on law and just put on my resume that I sucked dick for coke since 04, hopefully they won't ask for professional references.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I'm meeting the Communist Party of China tomorrow. Would it be bad form to beg for a job? I'm willing to run a WoW/Eve gold-farming operation if they'll let me.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm meeting the Communist Party of China tomorrow. Would it be bad form to beg for a job? I'm willing to run a WoW/Eve gold-farming operation if they'll let me.

I hear Foxconn is hiring in China (there's been a few openings). Maybe you should inquire with the CCP about that?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
They've posted preliminary firms interviewing for OCI. For 3Ls, there are 26. Firms that are not IP nor requiring top quarter?

One firm is requiring you have a clerkship lined up before you start work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CaptainScraps posted:

They've posted preliminary firms interviewing for OCI. For 3Ls, there are 26. Firms that are not IP nor requiring top quarter?

One firm is requiring you have a clerkship lined up before you start work.

hahahahaha I'm just going to kill myself and get it the gently caress over with