Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
If I may make a correction:

TL posted:

You have to believe that a talent could kill a busload of nuns while high on PCP and nude and be suspended with pay in WCW, but if someone did a bump into the pool outside of the main event they'd be fired on the spot.

Because nothing says discipline like a free vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Golden Bee posted:

Vic Venom's Rule #1: Everything starts and ends with logic.

Must have picked some hosed up axioms.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

:argh:

I don't what's funnier, Van Hammer's childish stupidity or the fact that they had to have a group meet to forbid everyone from doing pool spots all night.

I can see telling people to leave folks out of it if you're going to do a big bump/spot into it at the end, but if the whole thing was just Mysterio kicking him in, that's kind of a letdown.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
van hammer is also the guy who bitched because he had the lowest military ranking in loving MIA.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Major Stash haha

I loved the MIA vs Team Canada feud, one of my favourite WCW storylines.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

van hammer is also the guy who bitched because he had the lowest military ranking in loving MIA.

Wasn't he supposed to be Private Stash but instead of getting the joke and laughing about it he just bitched that he was playing a private instead of a higher rank?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
Hey, isn't Van Hammer the dude that was in MIA but complained that his rank was too low?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I miss the Puro workers and luchadores. WWE (and TNA) never use both as much as WCW. Though ECW gave it a good shot.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Dario Delfino posted:

I miss the Puro workers and luchadores. WWE (and TNA) never use both as much as WCW. Though ECW gave it a good shot.

Do you guys think lunchadores ever get over with crowds in the WWE? Obviously Rey has, the Guerreros count, Juvi did for sure. I think a lot of others (like La Parka) could have had it not been for WCW treating them like a joke.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
My friend has just given me a few burned DVDs with every episode of 2000 Nitro on them. I'm scared to watch.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

My friend has just given me a few burned DVDs with every episode of 2000 Nitro on them. I'm scared to watch.

BANNED FOR FILES.

I want a copy of this too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dario Delfino posted:

Well, WWE's has/had some main event level luchadores, but I don't think any puro worker has progressed past midcard.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

If you have the Nitro which is just Mark Madden and Tony talking about how great Bischoff and Russo are, while also saying Nitro used to be good but now sucks, you are in for a very special treat.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Skinty McEdger posted:

If you have the Nitro which is just Mark Madden and Tony talking about how great Bischoff and Russo are, while also saying Nitro used to be good but now sucks, you are in for a very special treat.

Which one is that one?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

Well, WWE's has/had some main event level luchadores, but I don't think any puro worker has progressed past midcard.

The biggest problem is that the best Puro wrestlers like to go back home to collect a big paycheque. WWE would have to pay them more than what they'd get working in Japan. Because of this, they never really get talent that deserves a major push. The two guys who ever got the best pushes as Japanese talent are Tajiri and Haukushi.

The other problem of course is that most top Japanese wrestlers look pretty plain. It's hard to say that a guy like Kawada stands out until you see him work, and how many guys in the WWE would work Kawada's style? I know many have the dream of seeing Kobashi vs. Undertaker, but I doubt anyone in the audience would buy into Kobashi here in North America in an arena bigger than 1,000 people.

I do know the WWF had big interest in Tenryu back in the early 90s and always pushed him when he made appearances. Great Sasuke was supposed to be the first Light Heavyweight Champ but got injured. Aside from that, I think the one guy who should have crossed over but didn't was Kensuke Sasaki. He's built like a tank, can work a great power style, can sell for a big man and it'd mean you could have pulled Akira Hokuto out of retirement to beat the living gently caress out of Divas. Ahhh...

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

ChampRamp posted:

Which one is that one?

During the restart Niro and Thunder were taken off the air for a week. In their place were two 'best of' shows. The shows ended up being less about Nitro's in the past and ended up being circle jerks to the egos of both Bischoff and Russo. Add to this they pretty much came out and said 'Nitro sucks now.'

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WCW is the only company that could have successfully pulled off a "Wake up Eric, it's 1998. It was all just a bad dream" trope. Everyone would have bought into it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Dario Delfino posted:

When they brought back Muta near the end, didn't they team him up with Vampiro and the loving ICP as part of the Dark Carnival? Because when you're bringing in the Great Muta obviously that's obviously the best use of him.

Edit:

Lone Rogue posted:

Great Sasuke was supposed to be the first Light Heavyweight Champ but got injured.

Actually he didn't win it because he was a complete retard. He went to the Japanese media and started going on about how he'd only defend the belt in Japan and never drop it on WWF TV. This eventually got back to the WWF and that was pretty much the end of Sasuke in the WWF.

Suben fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 28, 2010

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

WCW is the only company that could have successfully pulled off a "Wake up Eric, it's 1998. It was all just a bad dream" trope. Everyone would have bought into it.
Eric: Oh... I had the most terrible dream... And you were there! *points to Hogan* And you! *points to Sting* And you! *points to Giant/Big Show/Paul Wight*
Hogan: Don't worry, brother. Hulkamania would never bury Sting at the PPV of the year.
Eric: And... There was this awful, awful man named Vince Russo...
Sting: Who? Oh, you mean our magazine editor?
Eric: Phew... What an awful dream...
GBSPW: Though, I do have a sudden inexplicable fear of heights, running water, and parking lots.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Suben posted:

When they brought back Muta near the end, didn't they team him up with Vampiro and the loving ICP as part of the Dark Carnival? Because when you're bringing in the Great Muta obviously that's obviously the best use of him.
I never said WCW used puro workers the best. But they did use them more than WWE. Ditto the luchadores.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Do you guys think lunchadores ever get over with crowds in the WWE? Obviously Rey has, the Guerreros count, Juvi did for sure. I think a lot of others (like La Parka) could have had it not been for WCW treating them like a joke.
I would argue WWE treated them more like a joke than WCW, however I admit I'm looking at it through nostalgia for my teen years. I just liked seeing wrestlers I'd never seen before, from other countries, and being impressed by them. You don't get to see stuff like the 8-man tag match from Souled Out '98 on cable anymore.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Skinty McEdger posted:

On the best of Thunder show, they showed 20 minutes worth of material from 1998, and then jumped to Winter 2000.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The best was a Year in Review Nitro (98, IIRC) that was advertised as such. It was actually a Hulk Hogan WCW career retrospective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dario Delfino posted:

The best was a Year in Review Nitro (98, IIRC) that was advertised as such. It was actually a Hulk Hogan WCW career retrospective.
What's the difference.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

lunchadores

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
"Super Porky and his ham."

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

"Super Porky............

AND his ham."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Super porky owns

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dario Delfino posted:

I would argue WWE treated them more like a joke than WCW, however I admit I'm looking at it through nostalgia for my teen years. I just liked seeing wrestlers I'd never seen before, from other countries, and being impressed by them. You don't get to see stuff like the 8-man tag match from Souled Out '98 on cable anymore.

Here's the issue.

WCW from like, 1987 to 1998 unquestionably used international talent better than the WWF. Even better than ECW. WCW loved to use Lucha, Puro, Euro, etc. to add spice to their shows. They also had Sting vs. Muta as pretty much their main program in the early 90s. Hell, they once had a PPV that was split WCW, split NJPW. Add in all of the Mexican wrestlers they brought in, how well they treated Ultimo Dragon, Liger coming in, etc. it's without question that WCW treated the foreigners better.

Then Vince Russo came in and Eric Bischoff started caring about what the Mexicans were doing, meaning he was willing to gently caress them right up (I do give him a pass when it comes to Rey Jr. Bischoff truly thought that Rey would be more over because he was an attractive guy, so he felt he could sell even more with Rey's face than Rey's mask. Was he wrong? Yes, but if it was Black Tiger and having to unmask him into Eddie Guerrero, he'd be correct for doing it).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Which one is that one?

April 3.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Sooooo, remember when WCW brought in Bret Hart and proceeded to kill any and all heat he had coming in? I sure do.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

Sooooo, remember when WCW brought in Bret Hart and proceeded to kill any and all heat he had coming in? I sure do.

Are you injured Bret?

No?

Okay cool, we're gonna make you a REFEREE.

Yeah!

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
As much of a fan as I am, I couldn't stand him during his WCW run. Besides bad booking, he was so depressed and demoralized, most of his performances were crap. I can't blame him for phoning it in, but it was rough to watch. I can only think of a few matches with DDP, Sting, Benoit, and Malenko off the top of my head that weren't that bad.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

DannoMack posted:

At least they didn't kill his brother.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dario Delfino posted:

As much of a fan as I am, I couldn't stand him during his WCW run. Besides bad booking, he was so depressed and demoralized, most of his performances were crap. I can't blame him for phoning it in, but it was rough to watch. I can only think of a few matches with DDP, Sting, Benoit, and Malenko off the top of my head that weren't that bad.

He was bitter after the Screwjob and WCW did absolutely nothing to give him that would make him passionate about the business again.

Bret Hart should have come into WCW like a blaze of glory, as the only non-WCW guy to take on the nWo head on and try to destroy it. He should have been picking it apart one by one on his way to take down Hollywood Hogan. People back then still looked at the nWo as the WWF, not so much as it being a shoot but a work. Instead, WCW in 1998 didn't know what the gently caress it was supposed to do. So Bret waddled basically as a "special attraction".

One of my favourite matches with Bret from WCW was actually Bret vs Luger for the US Title. I think it was on Thunder. It's a really good match where Luger put on his working boots for maybe the last time of his entire career. Bret also had a good match with Booker T while in WCW.

I think if WCW gave Bret a reason to work hard, he would have worked hard. They really never did. So he phoned it in and they gave him storylines that made it easy to phone in.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It wasnt so much "working boots" as "being carried boots" Luger had on during that match.

It was maybe 90% Bret Hart offense with Luger just running back and forth a few times clotheslining Hart.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Didn't Luger make Bret tap out to a boston crab in that match?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

Didn't Luger make Bret tap out to a boston crab in that match?

No, that was the match the very next week. Or prior. Can't recall if it was a Crab.

WCW feels like a drug haze.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Lone Rogue posted:

He was bitter after the Screwjob...
Oh, I know. Preaching to the choir. It was just so disheartening. That's why I supported him finishing out his career in WWE this year. And he got another US title reign out of it. :unsmith:

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 29, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What was the cause of the promo/shoot Steiner cut on Flair when he was in the NWO? The one where he's cutting deep as gently caress and even says he doesn't hold a candle to "the original Nature Boy, Buddy Rogers". Steiner seemed more legit pissed than his colorful self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

DJExile posted:

What was the cause of the promo/shoot Steiner cut on Flair when he was in the NWO? The one where he's cutting deep as gently caress and even says he doesn't hold a candle to "the original Nature Boy, Buddy Rogers". Steiner seemed more legit pissed than his colorful self.
That was during Steiner's 'I will do whatever I want because no one is punishing me for anything' phase. He'd skip steroid tests and go unpunished, got suspended from shows with pay and was in line to be WCW Champion right around the corner anyway. This was also a couple of weeks either before or after he'd gone out and cut an unscripted promo about DDP having a vagina or something and the two got in a fight backstage. Again, Steiner went unpunished.