Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Awesome house if you hate functionality and like houses that break a lot. It's fitting that it was posted in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Slung Blade posted:

"May want to watch that first step coming out the door... it's a doozy!"

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Boat posted:

Yeah, that's Fallingwater, probably Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous bit of architecture. There's a shitload of info on it out there if you're interested.

I love that FLW's work is instantly recognizable. I didn't even know it was his work but I automatically thought "hey that's Frank Wright"

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Das Volk posted:

I love that FLW's work is instantly recognizable. I didn't even know it was his work but I automatically thought "hey that's Frank Wright"
It's great not just for the architectural design, but also the engineering breakthroughs that went into the cantilevered beams. Truly revolutionary stuff.

It's impressive in person, too. Some rather funny spots, too. For instance, his customer (yes, he built this house on commission for someone) wanted a desk to work on. FWL told him no; he couldn't have a desk, because it would block a small piece of his super-special corner window from opening, and he thought it would look bad when all the other windows were open except that one. Ended up cutting an arc-shaped wedge out of the desk as a compromise. The client asked for a 4-car garage, but FLW gave him a carport instead. (Client enclosed it after FLW left.) They had to buy 3-legged chairs because he put rough cut local stone floor in the dining room/living room, and normal chairs rocked horribly. House is full of little stuff like this. I tell you what; it's a beautiful house, but absolutely unlivable.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 28, 2010

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I heard it's got awful problems with mold.

But seriously, how does anyone in America not know that home on sight? It's like saying "What the gently caress is a Ferrari?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Skyssx posted:

I heard it's got awful problems with mold.

But seriously, how does anyone in America not know that home on sight? It's like saying "What the gently caress is a Ferrari?"

Sure, if there was only one Ferrari in the country and it was parked in the woods on a tiny waterfall for the past 80 years.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
gently caress it, knock down the exterior walls facing the road, then hollow out the interior. Instant covered bridge.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

grover posted:

I tell you what; it's a beautiful house, but absolutely unlivable.

That's essentially what I thought after touring the FLW house here in Grand Rapids.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ozziegt posted:

According to the same video posted by someone else, there were people in that boat and there were fatalities. :(

Yeah, we were shown it in class as a great example of why you always check your hooks before hoisting. Scares the hell out of me.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

jammyozzy posted:

*Ahem*

OCD detailer's VXR 'Ring Edition

Same model, I can't imagine his face if that was his exact car.

VV Seriously all flicking through that thread has done is make me realise that my monitor is filthy.

I'm to the point where he's wasted at least a day on the sway bar, and I've noticed him saying "zy....mol" repeatedly. Is there a word filter for Zymol on that forum?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Matlock posted:

I'm to the point where he's wasted at least a day on the sway bar, and I've noticed him saying "zy....mol" repeatedly. Is there a word filter for Zymol on that forum?

Not a filter, it just links to an advertisement.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

jammyozzy posted:

*Ahem*

VV Seriously all flicking through that thread has done is make me realise that my monitor is filthy.

My next car is going to be a beatup pickup.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

grover posted:

It's great not just for the architectural design, but also the engineering breakthroughs that went into the cantilevered beams. Truly revolutionary stuff.

The breakthroughs were achieved by the people who came after him and had to clean up his horrible messes when he tried to work "outside the box", FLW had no engineering backround and said things like "It will look like this and this is how you will make it look like this AND BY GOD IF YOU KEEP COMING IN HERE AND TELLING ME HOW IT CAN'T BE DONE YOU ARE loving FIRED!" The stories of the things that were invented to repair Falling Water as it disintegrated are pretty amazing; the house certainly belongs in this thread.

Dude had an amazing eye and I love a lot of it but what a jackass.

Also, when I visited Chicago I was totally loving jazzed to visit Robie House because I had fallen madly, stupidly in love with it and wanted to kidnap it and live in it forever, or at least take the tour and dream about it. Imagine my surprise to find out that whoever's preserving it has converted more than 50% of the interior area to a gift shop. I didn't even go in, it was like a kick in the stomach. Imagine having a huge boner for Mount Rushmore and finding out when you get there that there's only Washington and three heads constantly cycling the faces of moderately-famous pop stars from the mid-'90s.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
My buddy sent this to me. Taken out of another friend's car that was "making a funny noise".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jammyozzy posted:

*Ahem*

Late i know but I'm readign that thread with a mix of horror at the OCD and awe

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Also, when I visited Chicago I was totally loving jazzed to visit Robie House because I had fallen madly, stupidly in love with it and wanted to kidnap it and live in it forever, or at least take the tour and dream about it. Imagine my surprise to find out that whoever's preserving it has converted more than 50% of the interior area to a gift shop. I didn't even go in, it was like a kick in the stomach. Imagine having a huge boner for Mount Rushmore and finding out when you get there that there's only Washington and three heads constantly cycling the faces of moderately-famous pop stars from the mid-'90s.

I just got back from Chicago where I went on the full Robie house tour. The awesome 3 car garage which was incredibly far ahead of its time is a gift shop, the entire servent wing is employee offices/breakroom, and the 3rd floor with the master bedroom is not part of the tour. The restoration project they have going means that the entire interior is pretty much stripped out including exposed interior wall surfaces, missing built-ins, and most details like light fixtures and coverings are gone. Also the tour guides might as well have been volunteers because they couldn't answer simple questions like 'does the unique gutter drain design you just pointed out actually work'.

That said, the house design itself is impressive if you consider it's 100 years old and what other houses from that period looked like. You could tell most people it was built in the 70s and they wouldn't think twice.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
I took these a few years ago. My town (Stafford, CT) is set in a deep valley, and periodically the lower areas will flood pretty badly thanks to the Willimantic River. (The whole town used to flood before they installed a series of flood control devices..)

These shipping containers were in the parking lot of a factory building almost a MILE UP RIVER! The river got so high (normally two feet deep) that it carried them all the way down to this railroad bridge, which they hit hard enough to bend significantly. (The containers, not the bridge)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Everyone who lives near a flood zone needs to see pictures like that so they realize that a river will have NO PROBLEM moving your little Kia Rio or Ram 2500 in whatever direction it wants when they try to drive through it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Skyssx posted:

It's like saying "What the gently caress is a Ferrari?"

There's people like that. My dentist told me stories of people mistaking his Ferrari for "One of those new mustangs :haw:"

:ughh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

BigKOfJustice posted:

There's people like that. My dentist told me stories of people mistaking his Ferrari for "One of those new mustangs :haw:"

:ughh:

Does he thank you at the end of each conversation for helping to pay for it?

:rimshot:

I hate my dentist.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fermunky posted:

My buddy sent this to me. Taken out of another friend's car that was "making a funny noise".

I've heard that sound before. It's really not all that funny.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
The head gasket in my camaro finally went :( It's been leaking for years, but just coolant into the cylinder, and it's been drivable and gently caress me, I'd rather top off the radiator every once in a while than replace the head gasket. But it's been getting worse and worse (1qt of coolant every 20 miles) and as of yesterday, it will no longer start- starter's stalled, and I suspect hydrolock. If all goes well, I'll have some pictures for this thread some point this weekend. I'm just crossing my fingers they're not *too* horrible....

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

grover posted:

The head gasket in my camaro finally went :( It's been leaking for years, but just coolant into the cylinder, and it's been drivable and gently caress me, I'd rather top off the radiator every once in a while than replace the head gasket. But it's been getting worse and worse (1qt of coolant every 20 miles) and as of yesterday, it will no longer start- starter's stalled, and I suspect hydrolock. If all goes well, I'll have some pictures for this thread some point this weekend. I'm just crossing my fingers they're not *too* horrible....

Launch it with the catapult on the flight deck of the ship in your avatar.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ab0z posted:

Launch it with the catapult on the flight deck of the ship in your avatar.
Well, I'll see if I can replace the head-gasket first ;) If the block is cracked or something...

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

grover posted:

Well, I'll see if I can replace the head-gasket first ;) If the block is cracked or something...

...then you'll have to spend $5 on a new one?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ab0z posted:

...then you'll have to spend $5 on a new one?
The car's 17 years old any pretty much everything else on it has worn out, too. I'm looking forward to the challenge of replacing the headgasket; I've replaced pretty much everything else on it over the years. At some point, I've gotta cut my losses and sell it for scrap or parts or whatever, though; it's just not worth it to keep it. Replacing the engine is that point for me. Or maybe the guy down the street who wants to buy it and gut it and replace the engine, transmission and rear end and turn it into a drag racer but never seems to have any money will finally find some cash. He offered me $3k for it while I was still trying to sell it as a running car. I'd have to dump it for FAR less than that as a non-running car.

Speaking of mechanical failures, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZRMpxUniOw
Edit: hot drat, it looks like at the very end of the video, it actually kept flying

grover fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 28, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

grover posted:

He offered me $3k for it while I was still trying to sell it as a running car.

Don't you just hate the timing on things like this.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ab0z posted:

Don't you just hate the timing on things like this.
He didn't actually have the $3000 or it'd be his car today! He just wanted to buy it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Which motor in your Camaro?

I think my dad sold his old 3.8 with a bad HG for a lemon LT1.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slow is Fast posted:

Which motor in your Camaro?

I think my dad sold his old 3.8 with a bad HG for a lemon LT1.
3.4L, unfortunately. It's my backup car at this point; so long as it runs fairly reliable, I'm happy. Hell, at this point, I'd just be happy if it runs .period.

I'm making slow progress. Found a little bit of milk on the valve covers, but none in the oil when I drained it, and very little on the valves. No signs of rust so far, so I don't think it was leaking much (if any) coolant into the oil. I DID manage to break half an electrical connector off, though (it's visible in the photo, right beside the thermostat).

Edit: just removed the lower intake manifold. Next up: exhaust manifolds. uggghhhhh

grover fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 29, 2010

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

Godholio posted:

Everyone who lives near a flood zone needs to see pictures like that so they realize that a river will have NO PROBLEM moving your little Kia Rio or Ram 2500 in whatever direction it wants when they try to drive through it.

When we start getting a lot of rain in our area, the news stations start running stories about idiots that drove in to water, typically accented by the drivers of the Fire department's ladder trucks saying that they don't even think about crossing if the water is more than a foot deep, and more than 6 inches is something they hesitate on. It never fails that some moron disregards these stories and gets their saga added to the news broadcast that night...

tldr: It doesn't matter what the hell you show on TV, there's enough morons that try it anyway. If only we could just let natural selection run it's course....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

grnberet2b posted:

When we start getting a lot of rain in our area, the news stations start running stories about idiots that drove in to water, typically accented by the drivers of the Fire department's ladder trucks saying that they don't even think about crossing if the water is more than a foot deep, and more than 6 inches is something they hesitate on. It never fails that some moron disregards these stories and gets their saga added to the news broadcast that night...

tldr: It doesn't matter what the hell you show on TV, there's enough morons that try it anyway. If only we could just let natural selection run it's course....

Some people fail to understand that your car cannot breathe water

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

grover posted:

3.4L, unfortunately. It's my backup car at this point; so long as it runs fairly reliable, I'm happy. Hell, at this point, I'd just be happy if it runs .period.

I'm making slow progress. Found a little bit of milk on the valve covers, but none in the oil when I drained it, and very little on the valves. No signs of rust so far, so I don't think it was leaking much (if any) coolant into the oil. I DID manage to break half an electrical connector off, though (it's visible in the photo, right beside the thermostat).

Edit: just removed the lower intake manifold. Next up: exhaust manifolds. uggghhhhh

Just undo the flanges at the "donuts" and pull the manifolds with the heads. Been doing that for years now. Much nicer pulling 4-6 fairly reachable bolts with real tools than undoing a bunch of hard to reach seized exhaust/head bolts.

You can then pull the manifolds off on the bench. It really is alot nicer.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

CommieGIR posted:

Actually it can. For about half of one cycle.

Was going through my automotive desktop images folder, and saw some pictures that were probably best suited for this thread. For all of them, click for big.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Awesome shots. The sponsor ad on the last picture is exquisite.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe if you add portholes/vents to the side, they'll act like gills?

This is actually what the vents behind the front wheels on Range Rovers are for - intakes. Apparently the logic is that a good bow wave during wading will help keep them reasonably clear, and that you'd be unlikely to submerge both at once unless you're blatantly being an idiot. To which I say "Umm". I think a snorkel would still be a good idea if you're expecting to go through anything that deep, but there you go.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CommieGIR posted:

Some people fail to understand their engine requires air.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cakefool posted:

Some people fail to understand that cars hydroplane and the engine can still be running as they get swept downriver.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cakefool posted:

Then how do you think boat engines work? DUH!

Speaking of hydrolock... 911's aren't immune, either:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Revolvyerom posted:

Actually it can. For about half of one cycle.

Was going through my automotive desktop images folder, and saw some pictures that were probably best suited for this thread. For all of them, click for big.

All that went through my head when I saw this was "MAAAAXIMUMMMMM DORRRRRIFTUUUUU!"