Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm meeting the Communist Party of China tomorrow. Would it be bad form to beg for a job? I'm willing to run a WoW/Eve gold-farming operation if they'll let me.

Why would you have to beg for a job? I thought communism was all about giving everyone what they need? You need a job, ergo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zikan posted:

Thankfully this thread has completely turned me off from the idea of going to law school. However I was too late to save some of my friends. One is going to Stetson University College of Law and I weep for her and what she has gotten herself into.

How bad is McGeorge School of Law at University of the Pacific? It break Top 100 (at 98). How hosed are the both of them?
I live in Sacramento, and I work nearby. I've also lived here for most of my life and know the hiring partners of about every single law firm worth working for. I also know several UoP profs.

If you are top 10-15% of the day class or top 25-30% of the night class you can likely get a job with one of these firms. The networking is strong.
If you can stand unemployment for a bit and can work for free, you can likely get good experience that will land you a decent job in the long term if you don't suck and are in the top 50%. You'll be buried in debt.

If you don't want to work in the Sacramento/Central Valley or northern Nevada (McGeorge is the unofficial lawschool of northern Nevada), you'll regret it.

(Don't go to law school, but if you do you could do much worse than McGeorge. You could also do much, much better)

nm fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 29, 2010

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
If you end up at a TTT somehow (fiddled the devil and lost, gypsy curse, etc) the one perk is that being in the top 5% of your class is about as challenging as managing to get whiskey from the bottle into your belly

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
One of these days SA will have an unemployed attorney in every state. At that point we could form the Goon Squad, PC and then bury legal opponents no matter the state in cut/paste motions and automatic phone calls making legitimate but burdensome inquiries.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheMadMilkman posted:

Add me to the list of people who managed to get non-legal work after law school. I could have gotten the exact same position, with the exact same pay, and would now have BETTER opportunities for advancement if I had taken a year to get a Masters in Accounting instead of taking 3 years to get a law degree.

Same; with a Masters, I would be doing better at my job than if I had my JD. The JD might open some doors in two years when I make GS-14, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheAttackSlug posted:

So after week one of being a fancy pants rule 13 prosecutor, I see that I get kicked out of the building at about 4:30 every day and herded down an alley into a bar.

I also see why people do this for a third of the money they would get to do 80 hours of doc review and die alone.

And maybe, just maybe, I am learning to love the law.

A what prosecutor?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solomon Grundy posted:

Hey "The Warp" -

If she won't take it from us, then will she listen to the president of the California Bar Association?

http://calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/c...the%20President

Favorite quote:

"For the foreseeable future the starter jobs that provided traditional training for those lawyers are not coming back "

holy loving poo poo that thing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Ainsley, do you put your JD on your resume when you submit it?

I do, but if I didn't my resume would literally be half a page long because the bulk of my work experience is internships i did while in law school and they wouldn't make no sense without the JD

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

CaptainScraps posted:

They've posted preliminary firms interviewing for OCI. For 3Ls, there are 26. Firms that are not IP nor requiring top quarter?

One firm is requiring you have a clerkship lined up before you start work.
Also if it's anything like last year those IP firms are only willing to settle for a B.S. in EE/ME, for any other physical science they want a Master's. (No one wants life sciences for anything, no jobs lmao)

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

A what prosecutor?

Rule 13 is the bar certification in Missouri that lets you appear in court during your 2L summer if you have someone supervising you/your dean allows it/etc.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
Two days ago, I got accepted to Cornell. :)

I'm submitting the application for financial aid now, but likely it's going to come back "Sorry, grants are gone, enjoy borrowing sticker price!" I just sent in my seat deposit. God help me.

I hope the gamble of paying sticker for an Ivy League T14 pays off. Two-three threads of "Don't go no jobs die alone" have me nervous. My friends think I'm insane for being nervous, but they haven't read about law school.

If I win the grade lottery, is there a way to get grants for 2L and 3L? Or is the situation "If it's not awarded at admission, it's never awarded"?

Someone lie and tell me it will all be ok.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

TheAttackSlug posted:

Rule 13 is the bar certification in Missouri that lets you appear in court during your 2L summer if you have someone supervising you/your dean allows it/etc.

It's the equivalent of the 3L Student Practice Rule in DC/MD/VA.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Lilosh posted:

If I win the grade lottery, is there a way to get grants for 2L and 3L? Or is the situation "If it's not awarded at admission, it's never awarded"?

At lower schools, if you make top 10% you can play the "I'm leaving if you don't give me a scholarship" card, but I doubt it works at a T14.

Ithaca is the suicide capital of the US, true story

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Elotana posted:

Also if it's anything like last year those IP firms are only willing to settle for a B.S. in EE/ME, for any other physical science they want a Master's. (No one wants life sciences for anything, no jobs lmao)

Why is Cravath interviewing at UT? It this some sort of sick joke? Is it only for the top .000001%?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Adar posted:

Not only this, but I'm pretty sure that Cornell's law students are the most studyingest (?!) law students in the entire nation. Enjoy your new classmates :)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

William Munny posted:

Why is Cravath interviewing at UT? It this some sort of sick joke? Is it only for the top .000001%?
The Cravath partner that was at our OCI at Michigan went to UT, soooooo

prussian advisor posted:

Not only this, but I'm pretty sure that Cornell's law students are the most studyingest (?!) law students in the entire nation. Enjoy your new classmates :)
Are you looking for "studious"?

Ivy Leaguers, I swear to god

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

William Munny posted:

Maybe it was an excuse to spend the day in Texas and get some good tacos. Mm, tacos...

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

William Munny posted:

It's easier to get into Cravath than it is to get into Susman Godfrey.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

CaptainScraps posted:

Well, I'm still not getting anything because my grades are poo poo unless putting TMLS on my resume results in a gpa boost from 3.22 to 4.22.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

CaptainScraps posted:

Question why you would want to do either.

Susman is like Wachtell, sign your organs away at the door for massive paychecks to make your classmates jealous.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Mookie posted:

Susman is like Wachtell, sign your organs away at the door for massive paychecks to make your classmates jealous.

Goals in life:
1. pay off student loans
2. drive a silver bullet
3. buy lots of skateboards

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Mookie posted:

Mookie returns from the aether to make a case for "lifestyle" firms that don't work associates into the ground

classic

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Linguica posted:

Mookie returns from the aether to make a case for "lifestyle" firms that don't work associates into the ground

classic

It's that important guys. Have you seen this organization:

http://www.betterlegalprofession.org/

It really means a lot these days, especially since law students have a lot of negotiating power!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

William Munny posted:

Well, I'm still not getting anything because my grades are poo poo unless putting TMLS on my resume results in a gpa boost from 3.22 to 4.22.

Still shoot for the firms you want. poo poo, you got 60 bids. Do the big Texas ones too. Fulbright's pretty good about taking a lot of folk.

Also suck professor dick because they got friends.

I'm still working on my dream of making a living by doing nothing but suing V&E.

Mookie posted:

Fun fact about Susman: they'll let you do a lot solo, and then when anything fun or interesting happens Steve will swoop in and push you off the case.

Welcome back Mooks.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Adar posted:

At lower schools, if you make top 10% you can play the "I'm leaving if you don't give me a scholarship" card, but I doubt it works at a T14.

prussian advisor posted:

Goddamnit neither of these qualify as lying to me and telling me it will be ok :(

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Same; with a Masters, I would be doing better at my job than if I had my JD. The JD might open some doors in two years when I make GS-14, though.

So you're sitting at GS-12 right now? I can only imagine how nice that would be right now. GS-9 sucks. Thankfully, I can start applying for better positions in just over a month, and I have a manager who knows that I'm overqualified and wants to see me move on to something better.

prussian advisor posted:

You got the IRS position, right? I think you talked about this in the thread earlier. Can you give a little more information on applying for non-lawyer jobs with the feds as a recent law school graduate? Did you do a Presidential Management Fellowship or anything like that?

Apply often and get used to rejection. Apply to lower grades than you want. Get used to seeing "qualified but not selected" emails.

I started applying after the bar last July and was hired in by the IRS in April. I definitely didn't have the fellowship or anything like that. Hell, I graduated at the bottom of my class at a Tier 3 school. The fact that I found work at all is amazing, really.

Anyway, I just finished up my first phase of training two days ago (living in a hotel for 5 weeks sucks), and will be doing actual work next week. I will definitely have more to report soon and plan to do so.

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009

Lilosh posted:

Two days ago, I got accepted to Cornell. :)

Someone lie and tell me it will all be ok.

Ithaca is gorges!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I started applying after the bar last July and was hired in by the IRS in April. I definitely didn't have the fellowship or anything like that. Hell, I graduated at the bottom of my class at a Tier 3 school. The fact that I found work at all is amazing, really.

GS-9 work, that I can only assume tracks non-competitively to at least 11 and probably 12, is a pretty great catch out of law school in my opinion, especially if you have debt. How many positions did you wind up applying for before you got this one? Did you live in DC at the time for interviewing convenience? Which Tier 3? Also, would you have gotten the job without the accounting classes I seem to remember you said you took?

Also, living in a hotel kind of owns unless you are paying for it. Unless they made you share a room with someone?

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

J Miracle posted:

If you end up at a TTT somehow (fiddled the devil and lost, gypsy curse, etc) the one perk is that being in the top 5% of your class is about as challenging as managing to get whiskey from the bottle into your belly

not really imo, i p. much spend all my free time studying and i barely crack the top 10%

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Arsteia posted:

not really imo, i p. much spend all my free time studying and i barely crack the top 10%

Yeah, that's not true at all. Grades are kind of arbitrary and even if they weren't, the fact that you're at a TTT doesn't mean that 90-95% of your class is dumber than you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, that's not true at all. Grades are kind of arbitrary and even if they weren't, the fact that you're at a TTT doesn't mean that 90-95% of your class is dumber than you.

It just means he's 90-95% more anal retentive.

Then again that's a pretty good quality for law.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

yeah, there are dumb people here but they're definitely in the minority, and there are a number of folks that I wonder what in the world they are doing at this school (to which the answer is nearly always scholarship money). If I end up transferring it'll be interesting to compare student bodies, because some of the smartest people I know go to school at my TTT.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
i think i am going to go into the government, because i want to have a nice life before i'm 60.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

prussian advisor posted:

GS-9 work, that I can only assume tracks non-competitively to at least 11 and probably 12, is a pretty great catch out of law school in my opinion, especially if you have debt. How many positions did you wind up applying for before you got this one? Did you live in DC at the time for interviewing convenience? Which Tier 3? Also, would you have gotten the job without the accounting classes I seem to remember you said you took?

Well, that's the part that kind of sucks about my position. GS-9 is the top non-compete grade, although bumping up to 11 wouldn't be too difficult. Currently my goal is to move to an Appeals position, which is kind of the stop between being audited and hearing from 10-8. It's legal work, and while a JD isn't required, it's recommended. I'm a little unclear on the exact promotional potential, other than the fact that a JD lets you move higher without competing. I actually applied to a few appeals positions and was considered qualified, but they very rarely take external hires. So I'm waiting out my 90 days and then applying again.

I didn't have any accounting credits, although I would recommend that anyone in college get 6 credit hours in accounting regardless of their major. I had some audit/accounting experience from working in a hotel's accounting department. I would have gotten the job without the accounting background, but I would have avoided having to take an accounting skills test as part of the interview process.

I went to the University of Memphis.

quote:

Also, living in a hotel kind of owns unless you are paying for it. Unless they made you share a room with someone?

The hotel living was great. The hotel living mixed with 8 hours a day of tax training sucks. If any of you ever follow my lead and join the IRS, make drat sure you get to class early the first day and rearrange the seating to your advantage.

Also, there should be another hiring push sometime around September. Go for it, all of you.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well, that's the part that kind of sucks about my position. GS-9 is the top non-compete grade, although bumping up to 11 wouldn't be too difficult. Currently my goal is to move to an Appeals position, which is kind of the stop between being audited and hearing from 10-8. It's legal work, and while a JD isn't required, it's recommended. I'm a little unclear on the exact promotional potential, other than the fact that a JD lets you move higher without competing. I actually applied to a few appeals positions and was considered qualified, but they very rarely take external hires. So I'm waiting out my 90 days and then applying again.

I didn't have any accounting credits, although I would recommend that anyone in college get 6 credit hours in accounting regardless of their major. I had some audit/accounting experience from working in a hotel's accounting department. I would have gotten the job without the accounting background, but I would have avoided having to take an accounting skills test as part of the interview process.

I went to the University of Memphis.

The hotel living was great. The hotel living mixed with 8 hours a day of tax training sucks. If any of you ever follow my lead and join the IRS, make drat sure you get to class early the first day and rearrange the seating to your advantage.

Also, there should be another hiring push sometime around September. Go for it, all of you.

Are you working yourself up to an attorney position? How long do you suppose that will take if so?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

entris posted:

Why would you have to beg for a job? I thought communism was all about giving everyone what they need? You need a job, ergo...

Indeed.

It was a pretty cool shindig. They must've partied hard last night because one of them just put on his stunna shades and went to sleep right at the beginning.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

The Arsteia posted:

Maybe other schools are different my school appears to be clogged with dimwits, then again we have a part-time program which is not, contrary to what you might think, full of people that work, have kids, and go to school part-time to try and better themselves but is instead full of people who transitioned right from Big 10 undergrad who don't want to get up before noon and still visit their old frat houses.

EDIT: of course these people have a much better quality of life than me

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lilosh posted:

I hope the gamble of paying sticker for an Ivy League T14 pays off.

Fun Fact: The only students who say "Ivy League law school" are the ones that go to Cornell.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Is Cornell even ranked as a T1 law school? It's honestly so rare that the name "Cornell" gets mentioned these days that I wasn't aware they even had a law school. I just assumed they kind of closed the school in the nineties or something; I guess there's a character on the Office who went there but I thought that was another american in-joke.

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce
T-minus one month until I start working. Two months off sounded like such a long time, until I burned through half of it playing video games in my underwear.