Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Since someone posted the deepwater horizon. Its probably appropriate to post this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Ranger

At the time the largest oil paltform in the world. Sank in a storm in February 1982 on the grand banks off Newfoundland with no survivors.
It is said that a port hole in the ballast control room was smashed, causing the computers to malfuction, later on, the rig develpoed a list, unable to be corrected by the waterlogged computers and eventually it flipped bow first and later sank. There were alleged to be a lot of problems with the rig. A week before the rig sank it developed a list, which obviously needed to be corrected. Some people who worked on the rig nick named it the "Ocean Danger"

The radio operator was using an "oil company frequency" when sending distress calls rather than using a regualr distress frequency to alert the coast gaurd etc. Due to some sort of atmospheric condition, the emergency communications were also received by an oil rig in Tuktoyaktuk North West Territories.

The wreck of the Ocean Ranger was only 32 metres below the surface of the ocean, and posed a hazard to large ships. On Aug. 22, 1983, the wreck was refloated and towed upside down out to deeper water where it remains to this day. Three divers were killed in the effort to refloat the sunken rig.

Also this from the CBC archives, its long but quite interesting:

http://archives.cbc.ca/environment/extreme_weather/topics/349/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

metaxus posted:

All that went through my head when I saw this was "MAAAAXIMUMMMMM DORRRRRIFTUUUUU!"
One word: Albuquerque

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
One of my plugs was dripping green fluid when I pulled it out, is that a problem?

grover fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 31, 2010

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

grover posted:

One of my plugs was dripping green fluid when I pulled it out, is that a problem?

Stop overreacting. You just have to get rid of the bad juju with some wolf's hair and the tears of a virgin.

Anyway, I wish I had taken pictures of it, but when I was working at an independent shop a couple years ago a guy came in with a Pontiac Vibe that was "leaking". He threw a rod out the side of the block. Why? He bought it new and proceded to put 20,000 miles on the factory oil and filter. So we put in a used Matrix engine. Guess what happened 20,000 miles later. Except it was #3 instead of #2 that time.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

grover posted:

3.4L, unfortunately. It's my backup car at this point; so long as it runs fairly reliable, I'm happy. Hell, at this point, I'd just be happy if it runs .period.

I'm making slow progress. Found a little bit of milk on the valve covers, but none in the oil when I drained it, and very little on the valves. No signs of rust so far, so I don't think it was leaking much (if any) coolant into the oil. I DID manage to break half an electrical connector off, though (it's visible in the photo, right beside the thermostat).

Edit: just removed the lower intake manifold. Next up: exhaust manifolds. uggghhhhh

What am I meant to be seeing here? is it that all the valves on the left seem to be failing to open?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

General_Failure posted:

What am I meant to be seeing here? is it that all the valves on the left seem to be failing to open?
Sorry, no actual mechanical failure in this picture besides my failure as a mechanic to finish the HG job up to that point; I was just venting. (Cylinder 5- far back on the left- is full of coolant.) I know a lot of ya'll do this for fun and horsepower, but I'm more of a "fix it when it breaks" sort of shadetree mechanic. I like working on my cars and don't trust anyone else to work on them, but I'm well over this repair by now, and simply getting frustrated. GM can bite my loving rear end, btw, for putting bolts in impossible positions.

I've since gotten the right-side head off completely except for one blind bolt in the back strapped to a cable harness that I just can't get leverage to break loose; I'll probably just cut the damned harness bracket tomorrow and replace it with some wire when I reassemble. I haven't hit the left side head bolts yet, but they should be pretty straightforward- plenty of clearance for a breaker bar. One last exhaust manifold bolt has thus far defeated me, though, it's the last thing between me and a brand new headgasket. I'm hoping inspiration will strike me tonight on some way to get it loose.

Slack3r posted:

Just undo the flanges at the "donuts" and pull the manifolds with the heads. Been doing that for years now. Much nicer pulling 4-6 fairly reachable bolts with real tools than undoing a bunch of hard to reach seized exhaust/head bolts.

You can then pull the manifolds off on the bench. It really is alot nicer.
Unfortunately, this, too, is impossible to reach :(

grover fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 1, 2010

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Not to horrible, but it is a stripped main gear on a mazda M50D five speed

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

It came out of a '91 ford explorer with the 4.0L v6. It went out when when diving down the highway (it was pulling a '96 ford taurus wagon). Started making grinding noises and then power loss and a little while later just terrible grinding noises. When I pulled it apart there was still oil in it, however it is possible that some leaked out because the explorer spent about two hours on it's side a couple days before.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
As promised: mechanical failure. Amazing how such a tiny bit of damage can kill an engine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grover fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 3, 2010

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My brother's IH Scout had been leaking more fluids than usual recently, it turns out the box frame broke:

embarrassed_garlic
Jan 13, 2006
Don't look here
An engine explodes

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

embarrassed_garlic posted:

An engine explodes

Oil starvation from the angle?

Also nice job on the safety practices there.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MomJeans420 posted:

My brother's IH Scout had been leaking more fluids than usual recently, it turns out the box frame broke:

Yeah, that happens. It starts when the spring perch starts pulling off, as it does so it rips the frame, weakening it until it fails completely. Looks like he's been driving it like that for a while. Not sure where you are located, but I'd look for something like this: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1749810109.html The bodies actually come off pretty drat easy. Bulkhead connectors, shifters, steering column, brake lines, fuel line, radiator hoses and six body mounts. That's pretty much it if you can lift it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

FatCow posted:

Oil starvation from the angle?

Also nice job on the safety practices there.

I assume you've seen those Saudi drifting videos? It would seem they just give no gently caress whatsoever as far as safety is concerned.

↓↓ If anybody speaks Arabic, I'd be pretty interested to know what the announcer keeps shouting as that truck sits there and burns. ↓↓

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 8, 2010

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH

embarrassed_garlic posted:

An engine explodes

Holy poo poo that's insane! :supaburn:

Here's another video of the same incident from a different viewpoint (also longer):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B41Z4Xa-Efw&NR=1

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Note to self: if you're going to a Saudi/Emirati/Kuwaiti car event, bring your own fire extinguisher because evidently no one else will think of bringing one...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I bet the guy in that car is just going 'Great now I need a new engine...' *FLAMES ERRUPT* 'GREAT now I need a new car!' :supaburn:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
That's a pretty insane hill.

E: What exploded, was it some kind of nitrous system or just an electric fuel pump he forgot to shut off?

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 8, 2010

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MonkeyNutZ posted:

E: What exploded, was it some kind of nitrous system or just an electric fuel pump he forgot to shut off?

I'd go with fuel pump, judging by the spout of flame that pours down the passenger side when it blows up in the second video.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Fuel pump, nitrous isn't actually flammable and a fogger system wont ignite if no fuel is going in.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 8, 2010

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
How about horrible botanical failure? My boss' car after a storm we had 2 weeks ago:

And a week and a half later when someone could finally remove the tree:

R.I.P. 6-month old Pontiac Vibe. I pulled the trailer hitch off for him tonight, and his insurance has agreed to pay out almost $2k more than he bought it for.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Muffinpox posted:

Fuel pump, nitrous isn't actually flammable and a fogger system wont ignite if no fuel is going in.

It's not flammable but god help you if you're near an oxidizer with an ignition/fuel source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPxDOEdsX8

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Das Volk posted:

It's not flammable but god help you if you're near an oxidizer with an ignition/fuel source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPxDOEdsX8

You have to get it to 1000C before it's an oxidizer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Last Sunday, Boeing ran into a problem with the 747-8 flight test program. The problem in this case being a 20-ton aircraft tug:

No one was hurt and the engine itself was undamaged, but it's still going to be a rather expensive fix, both in terms of money and time (which is in short supply on the 747-8 program).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

oxbrain posted:

You have to get it to 1000C before it's an oxidizer.

Which honestly isn't that much in light of the temperatures we see from turbocharged cars. Not that F&F was real or anything like it, but I've played around with the elements enough to know when to respect their power.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

MrChips posted:

No one was hurt and the engine itself was undamaged, but it's still going to be a rather expensive fix, both in terms of money and time (which is in short supply on the 747-8 program).

I still don't understand how the driver towing the 748 didn't see that tug sitting there. Guess they don't bother using wingwalkers. At least it's just the nacelle and not the fan or any of the internals.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Mobius1B7R posted:

I still don't understand how the driver towing the 748 didn't see that tug sitting there. Guess they don't bother using wingwalkers. At least it's just the nacelle and not the fan or any of the internals.

Whats the cost difference? Like how much would the other repairs cost vs just the outer casing?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Whats the cost difference? Like how much would the other repairs cost vs just the outer casing?

One is sheetmetal, the other is a very finely balanced device several feet in diameter that will be spinning at thousands of RPM for thousands of hours.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

trouser chili posted:

Yeah, that happens. It starts when the spring perch starts pulling off, as it does so it rips the frame, weakening it until it fails completely. Looks like he's been driving it like that for a while. Not sure where you are located, but I'd look for something like this: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1749810109.html The bodies actually come off pretty drat easy. Bulkhead connectors, shifters, steering column, brake lines, fuel line, radiator hoses and six body mounts. That's pretty much it if you can lift it.

drat, that link is dead - what was it?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

One is sheetmetal, the other is a very finely balanced device several feet in diameter that will be spinning at thousands of RPM for thousands of hours.

Also, one is a collection of parts numbering at the most, 2 digits.

The other is a collection of parts that's in the 4 or 5 digit range.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

IOwnCalculus posted:

:haw:

I knew that much. What I was curious about though is if anyone actually had the numbers on the cost to say repair a turbine on one of those planes. I could imagine even the sheetmetal on that thing is expensive as hell to be flight rated.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All of those maintenance costs are buried miles deep in "leasing agreements". I'm sure somewhere, someone at GE knows what it actually costs to repair an engine if the front fan gets damaged...not that they'll ever let anyone outside the company know because they make so much money on the upkeep.

Alternatively, in keeping with the spirit of the Aeronautical Insanity thread, "Put a LS1 in it GE90 on it!"

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I would think with that much damage on the engine housing there's a significant danger of... anything going wrong with that jet engine. At that point what do they do? Scrap it or does GE rebuild it?

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

maxallen posted:

I would think with that much damage on the engine housing there's a significant danger of... anything going wrong with that jet engine. At that point what do they do? Scrap it or does GE rebuild it?

Rebuild it. You can take the internals out and put it in a new nacelle.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

IOwnCalculus posted:

All of those maintenance costs are buried miles deep in "leasing agreements". I'm sure somewhere, someone at GE knows what it actually costs to repair an engine if the front fan gets damaged...not that they'll ever let anyone outside the company know because they make so much money on the upkeep.

Alternatively, in keeping with the spirit of the Aeronautical Insanity thread, "Put a LS1 in it GE90 on it!"

Hard numbers are hard to come by, but I've seen some ballpark estimates on the GEnx engine and its component cost:

-Unit cost per GEnx engine is roughly $15 million per engine;
-Each fan blade (there are 18 per engine) is about $200,000;
-The damaged engine cowling seen in those pictures is about half a million dollars to replace.

maxallen posted:

Like the GE90, the GEnx engine can be broken into two modules - the core engine (where the actual combustion occurs) and the propulsor (the fan section). If the fan case was damaged, they'd swap the damaged engine off the wing and install a new engine, then replace the propulsor unit on the damaged engine. while it's still a big job, a team of mechanics could have the swap done overnight if need be.

Incidentally, the damaged aircraft has been repaired and flew again yesterday.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 8, 2010

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hey we make parts for that airplane! Not engine stuff though.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
It still doesn't look good for Boeing. They can't get their engine test off the ground because "WHO PARKED THIS HERE!"

Someone, somewhere, in that entire operation had to have had the responsibility to clear the taxi way. It's rather silly that they couldn't get that right.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, that link is dead - what was it?

Well poo poo. It was a Scout II rolling frame with a 345v8 and full running gear, plus a spare fuel tank and radiator. Guy wanted $500, but I bet it went for less.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Hey we make parts for that airplane! Not engine stuff though.
:c00lbert: Engine stuff.

(Only small bits. But some critical ones)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

InitialDave posted:

:c00lbert: Engine stuff.

(Only small bits. But some critical ones)

Do I really want to know what counts as a non-critical part in an airplane engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

We make the big green thing. Way more impressive than some little engine parts :colbert:

Plus when the press fails for the dome its a pretty horrible mechanical failure. You can hear the aluminum tear from ~100 feet away through 4 or 5 walls.