Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

HanabaL03 posted:

I rarely watched SFU, but I watched the last 6 minutes of the finale on youtube casue I heard a lot about it right before the Lost finale. I never knew anything about any of the characters but still got a little choked up watching it. I knew what the show was about, and I had seen a few episodes before. That was a really well done finale.

I didn't even really like Six Feet Under and marathoned the entire series as background noise while I played games on my computer and I still thought the ending was the best of any show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Just finished the first season of Supernatural. I can't quite figure out how anybody thought Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles could carry a show all by themselves.

I'm into it now enough to move on to season two, but I just hope their acting improves a bit. It might help if Sam cuts his hair so he doesn't look like an overgrown Jonas Brother.

Other shows to watch this summer: The Wire, Life, The Pacific.

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Just finished the first season of Supernatural. I can't quite figure out how anybody thought Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles could carry a show all by themselves.

I'm into it now enough to move on to season two, but I just hope their acting improves a bit. It might help if Sam cuts his hair so he doesn't look like an overgrown Jonas Brother.

Other shows to watch this summer: The Wire, Life, The Pacific.

I just finished Supernatural. When I started on season 2 I was was still not sure about the show, but about half way through the second season I just had to keep watching. Padalecki gets a little better too.

I watched the first episode of The Pacific when it aired and will start on that now.

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009
Watched the first 3 seasons of Dexter over the past couple months, and starting on season 4 soon. I didn't enjoy season 3 NEARLY as much as the first two, is that the general consensus? And how's season 4?

Also binging through Futurama, Seinfeld again, and the Ninja Turtles 2k3 cartoon - which is honestly AWESOME. If anyone was a fan of TMNT in any way as a kid, this series is like a perfect more grown up and darker version. Most episodes are part of a big story and lead into eachother, with a few stand-alone throw-out eps throughout each season. I honestly think this is the best show that nobody really knows is good.

The next shows on my list are ones I've never seen a single episode of yet.

-The Wire: Better be as good as everyone is saying
-Lost: How is the first and second season? I think I've read season 3 and 4 are really good? I don't want to sit through two entire seasons to get to good stuff though,so what's the verdict?
-Sopranos: Is this like a TV series version of, say, Goodfellas? I won't expect that quality throughout the entire season or anything, but is that the most comparable show/movie for it?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
It may have been a mistake to watch Life just before Band of Brothers. It took me awhile to stop expecting Winters to respond to conflict with a Zen aphorism and a quizzical tilt of the head.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Watched the first 3 seasons of Dexter over the past couple months, and starting on season 4 soon. I didn't enjoy season 3 NEARLY as much as the first two, is that the general consensus? And how's season 4?

Also binging through Futurama, Seinfeld again, and the Ninja Turtles 2k3 cartoon - which is honestly AWESOME. If anyone was a fan of TMNT in any way as a kid, this series is like a perfect more grown up and darker version. Most episodes are part of a big story and lead into eachother, with a few stand-alone throw-out eps throughout each season. I honestly think this is the best show that nobody really knows is good.

-Lost: How is the first and second season? I think I've read season 3 and 4 are really good? I don't want to sit through two entire seasons to get to good stuff though,so what's the verdict?
-Sopranos: Is this like a TV series version of, say, Goodfellas? I won't expect that quality throughout the entire season or anything, but is that the most comparable show/movie for it?

Season 3 of Dexter is by far the weakest for me, Season 4 improves considerably. John Lithgow plays a fantastic villain and the show just gets plain better.

- The Wire deserves its praise, but will probably take you about half a season to get into. It's more complex than anything you're probably used to on television.
- The consensus is that the first season of Lost is one of its best. Season 2 is solid also. The weakest part of the series is the first 1/3 to 1/2 of Season 3. If Season 1 was bad, why would anyone get sucked into the show?
- I guess Goodfellas is kind of an apt comparison, but The Sopranos doesn't try to make mob life seem nearly as sexy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Lost: How is the first and second season? I think I've read season 3 and 4 are really good? I don't want to sit through two entire seasons to get to good stuff though,so what's the verdict?
The first and second seasons are my favorites of Lost by far, because at that point it was still basically a sci-fi mystery show that was fairly grounded in reality while still having that hint of the supernatural. Season 3 is actually where it starts to go off the deep end and most people in general will probably tell you the first half of season 3 is the weakest of the show. S3 has a strong finish, though. I like Season 4 a lot too for various reasons, but after that I feel the show just collapses under its own weight.

So in my opinion it's the exact opposite. Seasons 1 and 2 are the best, and everything after that is a slow spiral into inanity. But it's still a fun show if you stop taking it seriously and expecting reasonable answers to anything, and at this point you might as well watch to say that you did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first half of Season 3 was really bad, but otherwise I like Lost for the most part. The first two seasons are really strong.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
You're going to get loads of conflicting opinions about the later seasons of Lost, but it's pretty unanimous that the first two seasons are spectacular.

EDIT: I think the main thing that throws people off Lost is that it's a little schizo. Although show isn't very episodic, the tone from episode to episode can vary wildly. It can be funny and self-aware, or melodramatic and emotional, or ominous and mysterious, or action-packed. The show has a lot of fun in going as over the top as it possibly can when the situation calls for it, but there are also a lot of subtle and low-key moments that are just as good.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 31, 2010

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

I've never met a fan of Lost that hated the first and second seasons. For me I'd rate lost in this order:

Season 2
Season 1
Season 5
Season 3
Season 6
Season 4 (however the constant is considered the best episode of Lost by a lot of people)

Enjoy Lost, cause it's one hell of a ride.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I just started through The Dead Zone series that was on USA. I kinda like it. A little cheesy feeling, but all together it is gun.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Anyone still watch Royal Pains? I stopped watching half way through season 1 last summer, and saw a commercial that it was coming back this week. Should I hop back on the Royal Pains bandwagon?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I am finally getting into 30 Rock. Alec Baldwin is gold in this show.

Jack: Lemon I'm impressed! You're beginning to think like a businessman.
Liz Lemon: A business woman.
Jack: I don't think that's a word.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyone still watch Royal Pains? I stopped watching half way through season 1 last summer, and saw a commercial that it was coming back this week. Should I hop back on the Royal Pains bandwagon?

I think that you could go with your previous assessment. If you liked it, expect more of the same. If you got bored, there weren't any huge surprises. Of course, it could evolve during its second season into something better or worse, but I doubt they'll mess with the formula much.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

I am finally getting into 30 Rock. Alec Baldwin is gold in this show.

Jack: Lemon I'm impressed! You're beginning to think like a businessman.
Liz Lemon: A business woman.
Jack: I don't think that's a word.

This is my favorite comedy on television and I wish I could watch it again from the beginning for the first time.

JimBean
Jun 28, 2005
Fuck you

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

I just binged through The Wire, and yes, it is a drat good tv series. It is very slow paced, though. There's also a ton of characters, especially by the time you get to the 5th season. I'd say watch the first 3 or 4 episodes at least, to see if it's to your liking.

The Sopranos is what I just started watching, and it is great so far. Can't believe I waited this long to check it out.

Also just finished The Corner and Generation Kill and both were entertaining, although somewhat depressing, to watch.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Anything that wasn't Doakes, Dexter, Deb, or Lundee in Season 2 was atrocious. For all the dumb things in Season 3, Miguel was still an interesting story.

Lost owns, but gets very uneven later on. The first season is the strongest by far, and then you can see where studio meddling changed quite a bit of it.

I've started The West Wing even though I'm from :canada:, and it's very... 90s. Everyone's likable tho.

Meanwhile, going through Frisky Dingo, the latter third of Sealab, steadily ending S1 of Mad Men, and finishing up Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
The gf has been on Daria, since that came out recently, and for a teen show it was p good.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I've been binging through 21 Jump Street on Hulu, just finished the first season and the first ep of the second season. I'm sure I watched most or all of it when it was on the first time (I even owned the 45 of the theme song!) Yeah it's formulatic and so, so very early 90's but I'm surprised at how much I'm still enjoying it.

Highlights:
* Morty Seinfeld plays Johnny Depp's partner in the pilot, AND a grandpa who willingly kidnaps his grandson in the first ep of the second season.

* Red Foreman plays a FBI agent in two episodes so far.

* Jason Priestly as a young punk, but they actually had Agent Orange as a guest band in that episode so it was pretty good, even though the anarchist punks never said a curse word worse than "crap".

* They actually dealt with some pretty sensitive subjects (sexual molestation, drug addiction, etc.) in a decent way, though it got pretty preachy in places.

* I had totally forgotten the first half of the first season they had a hippie type captain before Fuller came in.

So yeah, it's cheesy as hell but so fun to watch.

I'm also re-binging Futurama right now (for about the 10th time) in preparation for the new episodes!

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Just started binging on Archer, the FX cartoon that think its on Adult Swim.
It is very satifying so far.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Annakie posted:

I'm also re-binging Futurama right now (for about the 10th time) in preparation for the new episodes!

Doing the same.

Also going through some of the older seasons of South Park.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I just finished The Shield and I'm looking for the next binge show.

I'm thinking Breaking Bad?

BIG TITTY HMONG
May 26, 2010
The Sopranos is even better the 2nd time around!

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I just finished The Shield and I'm looking for the next binge show.

I'm thinking Breaking Bad?

Season 3 finale is on Sunday. Crank that poo poo up.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I just finished Farscape and loved the hell out of it. I just started on Babylon 5 season 1 and I'm having a really hard time looking past the hideous mid 90's computer game CG, please tell me it's worth pushing through.

You guys were totally right about this show, I even started liking the show toward the end of S1, but after going through season 2 in 2 days I'm hooked forever. Now I'm sitting here without season 3 and I feel dead inside.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So I'm more than halfway through season 4 of The West Wing, and I just realized one thing I love about binging TV shows is how they evolve and change over time, and how the opening credits affect that.

They just removed Stockard Channing and added Joshua Malina to the opening credits a few episodes ago, and since he's VERY Seaborne-esque, I had a feeling that his role would be replacing Rob Lowe once he leaves (which even as someone that didn't follow the show at the time I remember hearing about when it happened).

The episode I just finished confirmed that he was promoted to Sam's old position and I like the character quite a bit so far. There was a moment in the episode where Will Bailey told Toby a story that he had heard about him and quoted one of his old speeches and the look on Richard Schiff's face was probably one of the most amazing bits of expression-only acting I have seen.

I hope next season isn't as terrible as you make it out to be since that episode was awesome.

Also, as a side note, my love for opening credit changes just makes me further dislike House's stubborn refusal to change its opening. Luckily I hear they are finally changing it next season.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
You'll find that Stockard Channing will still appear in the credits when she's in an episode.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Aatrek posted:

You'll find that Stockard Channing will still appear in the credits when she's in an episode.
That's kind of cool, more shows should do that. Most of the time people are delegated to "special guest star" when they come back to a show they left a long time ago. I guess her case is different than most since it isn't like she left the show or anything, her character is just only required in certain circumstances. Still, I don't know if Rob Lowe or Moira Kelly ever return to the show as a guest star but it would be amazing to see them in the opening credits again.

Also, when Mrs. Landingham died (I was told by someeone who watched the commentary that the actor left for another role that sort of fell through) I couldn't think of anyone that would make a suitable replacement, but the addition of Lily Tomlin to the cast was perfect.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Superrodan posted:

That's kind of cool, more shows should do that. Most of the time people are delegated to "special guest star" when they come back to a show they left a long time ago. I guess her case is different than most since it isn't like she left the show or anything, her character is just only required in certain circumstances. Still, I don't know if Rob Lowe or Moira Kelly ever return to the show as a guest star but it would be amazing to see them in the opening credits again.

It was never good to see Moira Kelly's name in the opening credits and it never will be.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

It was never good to see Moira Kelly's name in the opening credits and it never will be.

I didn't like her either but I like the idea of putting frequent guest stars in the opening credits in episodes where they appear.

Kind of like how in the Adam West Batman series my dad had on tapes, I always knew if Batgirl was going to show up based on whether or not she was in the opening credits.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I do a little fist pump when I see "Guest Star - Mary Louise-Parker as Amy Gardner" at the beginning of the episode.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Binging through Harsh Realm, courtesy of the "Brilliant but Canceled" thread.
It's so cool to see Terry "Locke" O'Quinn in another great role and even though it's from 1999 the show hasn't aged a bit.
Definitely recommendable up to now.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
Breezed through The Class and The Inbetweeners. Both highly recommended.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
Currently on season 3 of CSI
Dear CSI: Please bring back William Peterson, he is awesome, Fishbourne is boring.
Actually why did Peterson leave? According to IMDB, he's done nothing since. It had to be sudden since he left mid-season.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
CSI is a terrible show but you have to watch it while pretending you have down syndrome (ie: like horrible reveals -- care nothing about character development as long as the plot is loving stupidly whack, etc).

I really wish I had time to marathon through COPS. Sadly, I will never have time. That show is like in its 22nd season.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

Johnny B. Goode posted:

CSI is a terrible show but you have to watch it while pretending you have down syndrome (ie: like horrible reveals -- care nothing about character development as long as the plot is loving stupidly whack, etc).
I think you meant CSI: Miami there. CSI:LV(the first one) is pretty drat good.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

-It is.
-The first two seasons of Lost are great, and even if they weren't, Lost is one of those shows where you need to watch every single episode.
-I guess you could make that comparison because they're both about the mob, but the Sopranos is about so much more than a drug dealer trying to not get caught.

These are 3 of my favorite shows of all time and I'm envious that you're about to watch them all for the first time!

edit- I'm watching Fringe these days, at around episode 11 or 12 right now of the first season. It's enjoyable but nothing amazing so far. I'm guessing it gets better based on the gold rated thread for season 2? It's little too "monster-of-the-week" for me right now but I can see the overarching stuff is starting to get a little more prominent, which I like.

Druck fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 11, 2010

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007
I've just started watching X-Files and I'm wondering when it gets really good. Also I've heard that watching seasons 7 through 9 isn't worth the trouble, is that true?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
No, I'd recommend that you follow through to the end. Just remember to watch the first X-Files Movie between seasons 5 and 6.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Just binged through Day Break. I really enjoyed this show a lot, they presented a huge mystery to the viewer and then provided a satisfying resolution by the end of the show's 13 episode run, which was refreshing. The writing was good though at times the depth of the conspiracy that the lead character has to unravel is a bit overwhelming. Overall it was just nice to watch a mystery show that wasn't a million episodes long and that had a good conclusion.

I think I'm going to tackle The Sopranos next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
Blake's 7.