Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I want some graaaaaddddeeeesss. Profs at my school, with the rare exception, are slow as poo poo with exam grades, and this semester I had two classes taught by adjuncts so that'll probably take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this since ElieKash didn't make a new post, only edited the old post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrQSdSSbDQ&feature=player_embedded

dude's got pictures of the founding fathers and law books, he ain't fuckin around

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 31, 2010

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this since ElieKash didn't make a new post, only edited the old post

dude's got pictures of the founding fathers and law books, he ain't fuckin around

Holy shittttttt

"I just wanna get this off my chest, okeh? Lot of speculation, making me look like the bad guy, threats, okeh? Not gonna happen. No spellcheck, not gonna do it, okeh."

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

ahahahaha holy poo poo

His blog automatically starts playing metal when you view it, too.
https://www.jessejclark.com

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I dunno, kid is kind of a clown but this woman he interviewed with is a real piece of work as well. They deserve one another imo.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

"Who are you to call me at 10:00 AM?"

Really? 10 is too early?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Soothing Vapors posted:

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: First thing I want to get off my chest, well second, no third thing I want to get off my chest

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Soothing Vapors posted:

What on earth would compel someone to make this video?

Does he really think an employer's going to go "well, initially I wasn't sure if I wanted to hire a bigot with only a passing familiarity with the basics of grammar, but how can you not take a chance with a guy who has the Bill of Rights in his apartment? I mean that poo poo was framed and everything! And that rambling diatribe culminating in a threat to sue the last lawyer who thought about hiring him shows exactly the kind of professionalism and grace under fire our firm needs. I'm going to call him up immediately (well, after 10:00am) before some other top firm snatches him up!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

Wow, I don't know what is worse; the content of the video or the fact that he thought it might help him in "the legal community". His office was very impressive by why didn't he mention the vintage coke machine?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Until January, then GS-13. Also our agency's payscale is like 10k over the DC area payscale.

edit: non-compete up to GS-14 also. possibly best job in the entire federal government. read and weep

edit2: I'm going to hit the statutory salary cap soon though thanks to overtime :(

when is the goddamned hiring freeze gonna be lifted

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod

plester1 posted:

The rumor mill says October (start of new fiscal year).

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

Wow, I don't know what is worse; the content of the video or the fact that he thought it might help him in "the legal community". His office was very impressive by why didn't he mention the vintage coke machine?

Did anyone know there was a Massachusetts School of Law?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

stingray1381 posted:

"Fun" legal history fact: An antitrust suit by this school against the ABA (well, actually, one brought by the DOJ in conjunction with it) was the basis of the settlement agreement that forced the ABA to start accrediting for-profit law schools, even though the school itself is not for-profit.

Massachusetts School of Law is the gift that keeps on giving.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

stingray1381 posted:

I thought we had a bunch of people in this thread that go to HLS?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I got put on a defendant's "hit list" in a custody case recently, along with the judge hearing the case. I'm closer to dying alone than any of the rest of you now :smug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stingray1381 posted:

At first I thought he meant UMass law (which I also did not know existed) and made a typo but nope, there's a Massachusetts School of Law too. A skimming of the wikipedia article suggests that it is not accredited

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

I got put on a defendant's "hit list" in a custody case recently, along with the judge hearing the case. I'm closer to dying alone than any of the rest of you now :smug:

Actually, if he kills you, it's very likely you won't die alone.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stunt Rock posted:

Estate planners are rough-riders too, man. We live on the edge:

quote:

Alexandria lawyer Kenneth E. Labowitz was sleeping soundly late Tuesday, after preparing for a morning hearing in a routine estate case, when three masked men claiming to be federal police officers forced their way into his home.

Before the night was done, Labowitz had been abducted at gunpoint, tortured with a stun gun, forced to stand at the edge of a freshly dug shallow grave and rescued by alert residents and police. Throughout the incident, he was convinced that at least one of his abductors was a principal in the scheduled morning hearing over the disputed million-dollar estate of an elderly client.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47976-2004Dec8.html

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

entris posted:

Estate planners are rough-riders too, man. We live on the edge:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47976-2004Dec8.html

I've posted this before, but it never stops being relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zy37-_0LU

I remember I took a trusts and estates class and the adjunct was a solo who was giving advice to students who were considering solo estate planning work and one of his pearls of wisdom was "if you're meeting a client out of the office, make sure you tell someone in the office where you're going, and if you're a woman, don't go to clients' homes by yourself"

law school!

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
The other question was whether we should warn the judge or not but even if it's not a valid threat I think I've got to call the other side, tell them I'm telling the judge what I heard, and say they're welcome to come along if they want.

They'll probably bitch about it and say my clients are making it all up to try to sway the judge in our favor but even if that's true it's not a chance worth taking.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've posted this before, but it never stops being relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zy37-_0LU

I only got a B in my Defensive Maneuvers for Lawyers class :(

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

ahahahaah. I went back to watch it again because it's so psycho, but I get the message that the user removed the video.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

stingray1381 posted:

ahahahaah. I went back to watch it again because it's so psycho, but I get the message that the user removed the video.
Removing it is probably the smartest thing that guy has ever done.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

soj89 posted:

I think the Canada route is better though - most of our schools have converted to the JD already.

Except our JD is not the same as an American JD. A rose by any other name...

Schitzo posted:

T-minus one month until I start working. Two months off sounded like such a long time, until I burned through half of it playing video games in my underwear.

Come visit me at work! Or at least email me so I won't email you back since I'm too busy trying to make people understand that they have no chance in hell of winning if we go to trial.

Penguins Like Pies fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 1, 2010

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

William Munny posted:

Why is Cravath interviewing at UT? It this some sort of sick joke? Is it only for the top .000001%?

Their hiring partner went to UT and wants tacos. Also, they might take the editor of your law review.

Lilosh posted:

Two days ago, I got accepted to Cornell. :)

I'm submitting the application for financial aid now, but likely it's going to come back "Sorry, grants are gone, enjoy borrowing sticker price!" I just sent in my seat deposit. God help me.

I hope the gamble of paying sticker for an Ivy League T14 pays off. Two-three threads of "Don't go no jobs die alone" have me nervous. My friends think I'm insane for being nervous, but they haven't read about law school.

If I win the grade lottery, is there a way to get grants for 2L and 3L? Or is the situation "If it's not awarded at admission, it's never awarded"?

Someone lie and tell me it will all be ok.

Read 10-8's posts on financial aid. They make going to law school a marginally less bad decision.

nm posted:

If you can stand unemployment for a bit and can work for free, you can likely get good experience that will land you a decent job in the long term if you don't suck and are in the top 50%. You'll be buried in debt.

A friend of mine got fired and then volunteered for six months and now has a job he got because of his experience volunteering so if you're not doing anything go volunteer for someone who has connections.

Mookie posted:

Question why you would want to do either.

Susman is like Wachtell, sign your organs away at the door for massive paychecks to make your classmates jealous.

Have you made partner yet? More importantly, how are your shoes?

fougera posted:

Also any advice specific to interning for in-house counsel? Generally speaking, I'm a little worried about my writing, particularly whether I can crank it out in a timely fashion (I always took forever on our LRW assignments). Any general advice appreciated. I'm sure its come up numerous times in the thread given the time of the year but I figure its better than talking about URMs, splitters, and DGNJDA.

Also, can we bring back work-attire-chat? I didn't notice anyone wearing a suit during my interviews, will I be fine not bringing a jacket?

1. There are twenty four hours in a day (seriously, stay late and do a good job and you'll eventually speed up and until then it's difficult to fault you for working hard and wanting to do a good job).
2. Wear a suit your first day, then wear whatever everyone else is wearing.

Millennial posted:

What is the most esoteric practice area? I am thinking tax appellate advocacy?

Advocacy involves arguing with real live people. I'd go with something like ERISA or the '40 act where you have zero contact with any clients and your only job is to know everything about some weird law but it's so difficult that firms will make you partner if you do know everything about it. I'd say some variety of corporate tax but those folks have their own clients.

Jove posted:

Help me dear goons! I just got my financial aid package back from HLS. Turns out I'll be owing roughly 125K after three years.

Assuming I find myself square in the median at the end of 1L, is it still worth it?

I mean, on the one hand, HLS. On the other, don't go no jobs die alone. Eh?

I have about a month until I sign the promissory notes.

Do you want to be a lawyer?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

plester1 posted:

I haven't been to work since Wednesday.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

builds character posted:

Read 10-8's posts on financial aid. They make going to law school a marginally less bad decision.

The short version - borrow only federal debt (use a grad plus loan for your supplemental loan), then when you're 2 months away from the end of your grace period consolidate them and click the "IBR" button and baboom your payments are reasonable now (or zero, if you're broke enough)

I made two financial aid mistakes that I want to caution people against:

1) Private loans suck, IBR rules

2) Don't look at the extra 3 month grace period on your perkins loan (which is NOT eligible for IBR but may be consolidated with loans that are) and think "oh, well, i'll just wait to consolidate this", it's pointless. I applied to add it to the existing consolidated loan but forgot that it takes 2 months and now if I want to save my credit rating I have to submit a long form with copies of bills and pay stubs and a written statement and possibly a letter from the welfare office to prove that I'm too broke to repay it right now and could you possibly forbear it for a little while until the federal government does it for me

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

The short version - borrow only federal debt (use a grad plus loan for your supplemental loan), then when you're 2 months away from the end of your grace period consolidate them and click the "IBR" button and baboom your payments are reasonable now (or zero, if you're broke enough)

I made two financial aid mistakes that I want to caution people against:

1) Private loans suck, IBR rules

2) Don't look at the extra 3 month grace period on your perkins loan (which is NOT eligible for IBR but may be consolidated with loans that are) and think "oh, well, i'll just wait to consolidate this", it's pointless. I applied to add it to the existing consolidated loan but forgot that it takes 2 months and now if I want to save my credit rating I have to submit a long form with copies of bills and pay stubs and a written statement and possibly a letter from the welfare office to prove that I'm too broke to repay it right now and could you possibly forbear it for a little while until the federal government does it for me

The new laws and IBR rules that prevent lenders from giving you a serious buttfucking even if you have absolutely no way to pay are unamerican and I presume will be repealed at any moment. Lobbyists are hard at work so take advantage of this while you still can. Use the money you save to put aside for your impending flight to a third-world nation!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I have questions about 2L Summer Associate positions. Don't go no jobs etc etc... but humor me.

1. When do I start papering the country with my resume/cover letter?

2. I put wanting to practice back home in Seattle and in New York on equal footing. Does this mean I should bid the NY firms higher since presumably fewer people would be going for the firms that have Northwest offices?

3. Actually if someone just wants to give some general tips on the application and interview process that would be awesome. What strategies I should be utilizing, etc.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
International pop star gets US JD to practice "international human rights law":

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/law-student-of-the-day-korean-popstar-at-northwestern/

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I've been simply unemployment deferring my loans can you consolidate them after the grace period and get on IBR or is the after grace period the issue with your huge amount of paper work? I guess I've got some reading to do :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Torpor posted:

I've been simply unemployment deferring my loans can you consolidate them after the grace period and get on IBR or is the after grace period the issue with your huge amount of paper work? I guess I've got some reading to do :(

I think you can consolidate them whenever (at least I certainly pray that you can). Consolidating takes up to 60 days though, so plan ahead (though you can get a forbearance for those two months, though apparently the perkins people make you jump through extra hoops for it)

The initial application takes a long time to fill out because you have to enter the information for each one of your loans. Most of the info on your federal loans is available on http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/ though you have to find your account numbers elsewhere. NSLDS has no data on private loans.

After you consolidate, you can add other federal loans to the consolidated loan with a different, much easier form, but due to IBR I'm not sure why you'd want to wait to consolidate any of them.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think you can consolidate them whenever (at least I certainly pray that you can). Consolidating takes up to 60 days though, so plan ahead (though you can get a forbearance for those two months, though apparently the perkins people make you jump through extra hoops for it)

The initial application takes a long time to fill out because you have to enter the information for each one of your loans. Most of the info on your federal loans is available on http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/ though you have to find your account numbers elsewhere. NSLDS has no data on private loans.

After you consolidate, you can add other federal loans to the consolidated loan with a different, much easier form, but due to IBR I'm not sure why you'd want to wait to consolidate any of them.

Yeah, all of my loans are FFELP stafford loans so I think all I gotta do is consolidate them at the department of education and then apply for IBR.

http://www.ibrinfo.org is a nice site, but I should probably just call my lender and they'll know the exact step by step process I need to do.

Edit: Shoot, the form has instructions :downs:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 1, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

So first day at work today. Found out that there's a hiring freeze at LA DWP, except for key positions, especially linesmen.

I guess they really need linesmen. It takes 3 years and around $250,000 to train them, and apparently it's a field where a lot of the experienced people are (a) retiring, (b) dying of old age or (c) getting snapped up by private companies.

Ainsley, get your apps in now

http://personline.lacity.org/job_list/index.cfm?FuseAction=Showspec&CC=3878

^^6 figures after three years? A union and job security? Working outdoors? Seriously?

Incredulous Red fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 2, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GBS watch

My brain hurts and also I'm angry

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!
Does anyone have any information on how financial aid works with law school? I'm thinking about applying for for Class of 2014 and I've been out of school and working since 2006. According to the FAFSA, I'm considered an independent, so does that mean that I'd potentially have an income of $0 once I leave my job? I wouldn't plan on leaving until a month or so before class started, so I imagine at least my first year I'd have to list an income, but after that, would I be able to qualify for federal money?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Special A posted:

Does anyone have any information on how financial aid works with law school? I'm thinking about applying for for Class of 2014 and I've been out of school and working since 2006. According to the FAFSA, I'm considered an independent, so does that mean that I'd potentially have an income of $0 once I leave my job? I wouldn't plan on leaving until a month or so before class started, so I imagine at least my first year I'd have to list an income, but after that, would I be able to qualify for federal money?

Pro tip #1: don't go to law school.
Pro tip #2: if you do, go to night school and keep working.

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

Roger_Mudd posted:

Pro tip #1: don't go to law school.
Pro tip #2: if you do, go to night school and keep working.

1) I'm an URM
2) I've been testing above 170

I'm not going to leave work unless I get in T14.

Edit, just to add, my GPA isn't as good, 3.0, but I was an engineer at Cornell, so I don't know if that would count too hard against me.

Special A fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 2, 2010

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Special A posted:

1) I'm an URM

Edit, just to add, my GPA isn't as good, 3.0, but I was an engineer at Cornell, so I don't know if that would count too hard against me.

This will come down to the value of URM status. As a white dude with a 175 and a 2.9 GPA at another good engineering program, my best offer was UMN + $ in 2005, shut out by T14. They have to report UGPA to US News, so it matters as much as the LSAT, and the difficulty of the degree is treated more like a (largely worthless) soft factor.

Edit: \/ In addition to the above bit about difficulty not mattering, relation to "law stuff" like textual analysis doesn't matter either. Major is part of "everything else" on the OP Venn Diagram.

OptimistPrime fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompoon
Apr 30, 2009

Special A posted:

1) I'm an URM

Out of curiosity, how do law schools view applicants with a major in the sciences? Most people I know get a degree in the humanities, or the weird auxiliary major my school has-sort of a law/philosophy type thing, and you also major in history, English, philosophy, etc. Anything that's heavy on writing and textual analysis. Would a science major be at a disadvantage?