Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bebop
Aug 29, 2004
satellite of love
What's the best website/forum dedicated to ableton and electronic music composition? I'm used to writing things out in full using Sibelius but I want more freedom and control over what I'm doing.

e: sorry I thought this was the musician's lounge, there's so many forums these days! :/

Bebop fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I honestly have no idea where to put this, so I'm trying here:

Where would be a good place to make a thread/ask on SA about art schools and programs? My own school has just run me through the ringer and I'm sick to death of it and really interested in transferring (likely out of state), but I'd like some feedback on personal experience with different art schools and design programs.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2563469

This thread seems to be right up your alley...

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I'm new to drawing with tablets. In fact, I've never done it before.

However, I do feel the need to get back into drawing as a hobby, so I have decided I'm going to purchase one. I know about Wacom and their track record and prices, but is there any other brand you'd recommend? How about VisTablet? They've got a 12x10 for $99 with a student discount. Adesso has a 10"x6" for $109. Or should I just save up for an Intuos 3/4?

I know I've seen it covered before, somewhere... but I can't find it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BlueberryMuffins posted:

I'm new to drawing with tablets. In fact, I've never done it before.

However, I do feel the need to get back into drawing as a hobby, so I have decided I'm going to purchase one. I know about Wacom and their track record and prices, but is there any other brand you'd recommend? How about VisTablet? They've got a 12x10 for $99 with a student discount. Adesso has a 10"x6" for $109. Or should I just save up for an Intuos 3/4?

I know I've seen it covered before, somewhere... but I can't find it.

I think Wacom is supposed to have the best pressure sensitive tablets. I have an Intuos 3 I liked, but because when I was working with paper I only ever worked with pencil, I wasn't happy with what I could do with a tablet. I have no skill with color, for example, so whenever I'd be drawing something I'd be relying on really subtle shading that I just couldn't get even with an Intuos. Maybe the new ones you can, or maybe I wasn't calibrating it right, I don't know.

I think if you know how to use and take advantage of the graphics program you're using, and especially if you know how to use color, a tablet can be a really great tool.

MIRV Griffin
Jul 31, 2009

pipes! posted:

I don't know if I'm preaching to the choir or not, but this is an excellent book for anyone interested in making comics.

Yeah, that one's good, but this one actually gets down to the nitty grit:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Comics-Storytelling-Secrets-Graphic/dp/0060780940/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272691086&sr=1-1

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

NancyPants posted:

I think Wacom is supposed to have the best pressure sensitive tablets. I have an Intuos 3 I liked, but because when I was working with paper I only ever worked with pencil, I wasn't happy with what I could do with a tablet. I have no skill with color, for example, so whenever I'd be drawing something I'd be relying on really subtle shading that I just couldn't get even with an Intuos. Maybe the new ones you can, or maybe I wasn't calibrating it right, I don't know.

I think if you know how to use and take advantage of the graphics program you're using, and especially if you know how to use color, a tablet can be a really great tool.

Thanks for the answer. I'm still waiting on a few other financial things to go through, but I think at some point during the summer I will be getting a tablet. I'm pretty well versed in Photoshop and I know my way around Illustrator, so hopefully I can make some sort of magic happen.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In a somewhat similar boat, I'll be picking up a new tablet this month (hand me down intuos1 to a 4 hooray!) and I want to get better at utilizing its abilities. I've always been a pencil/paper kind of drawing type, and I'm having immense trouble trying to adapt to the possibilities of a tablet. I'm talking about color or even just grayscale, I see so many amazing drawings with a seperate color layer slapped together to make a finished product and my brain can't think like that. Does CC have any advice or know where I can get started on evolving my ability?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Photoshop CS3, 95mb file, and I really don't feel like recreating this bastard. Nevertheless, I can't open the file.

quote:

Could not complete your request because of a disk error

I'm hosed, aren't I?

Edit: on a Mac.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 6, 2010

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Anyone happen to know of a good resource for sunglass lenses? Or for plastic/glass lenses that would function just as well, as far as UV resistance?

I'm playing around with some sunglass customization/restoration, and was wondering if there was a more precise alternative to buying/cannibalizing other sunglasses.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

jackpot posted:

I'm hosed, aren't I?

Probably, but it's worth at least trying to save it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not really a question, but if anyone sees a process camera about to be pitched, sold really cheap, or otherwise abandoned, get in touch with me. I'm looking for a bigass bellows for a DIY camera project and I'd much prefer a ready-made one over trying to design/build one myself. Don't think I'd need anything else from the camera, I know they're loving huge and heavy.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
I expected there to be a megathread, but I didn't see one. Someone let me know if there is I might have just overlooked it.

I'm going to get my girlfriend a tablet for drawing for her new computer for our anniversary. There's alot to choose from and seem to be geared for different things. I was thinking about the bamboo "fun" tablet, but that just sounds silly. I want something pretty basic but just for what its supposed to do. Drawing. I don't need anything "fun"

Im willing to spend up to 150 or a little over if its significantly better than the cheaper one. Something that can work with corel programs pretty well. And basically just like a bare no gimmicks slab for drawing. And not too small like some of them I see.

Any recommendations? thanks

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

philkop posted:

I expected there to be a megathread, but I didn't see one. Someone let me know if there is I might have just overlooked it.

I'm going to get my girlfriend a tablet for drawing for her new computer for our anniversary. There's alot to choose from and seem to be geared for different things. I was thinking about the bamboo "fun" tablet, but that just sounds silly. I want something pretty basic but just for what its supposed to do. Drawing. I don't need anything "fun"

Im willing to spend up to 150 or a little over if its significantly better than the cheaper one. Something that can work with corel programs pretty well. And basically just like a bare no gimmicks slab for drawing. And not too small like some of them I see.

Bamboo fun has a dumb name but it's a perfectly good drawing tablet. It draws and does basic tablet-y functions. It's not like it plays music while you sketch or something. You could also get one of the smaller Intuos tablets. Wacom's products all do pretty much the same thing, and since tablet drawing isn't for everybody it's a good idea to start out with a lower-end one.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

philkop posted:

I have a Bamboo Fun that I am looking to sell actually. I don't have the mouse or pen holder that comes with it. I never use it, I had bought it for a class where we did very little Photoshop. It has the tablet, the pen, the USB cable and the software. I know it's not the same as buying one brand new with all the pieces. But if you're interested PM me and let me know what you think is a good price. Otherwise I was going to put it up on Craigslist.

x-posted from the resource thread:

I've decided that I really want to learn about story boarding, because I've heard many a cartoonist/illustrator talk about how they really benefited from a story board class.

However, I have used up all my credits and will be student teaching in the fall before I graduate. So I'd like to learn as much as possible this summer.

Anyone know any good sites/books/resources, etc that I can teach myself from?

anaaki fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 9, 2010

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

anaaki posted:

x-posted from the resource thread:

I've decided that I really want to learn about story boarding, because I've heard many a cartoonist/illustrator talk about how they really benefited from a story board class.

However, I have used up all my credits and will be student teaching in the fall before I graduate. So I'd like to learn as much as possible this summer.

Anyone know any good sites/books/resources, etc that I can teach myself from?
I storyboard to help with my writing, so here, have a link dump.

A PDF called "Storyboard the Simpsons Way," with advice from none other than Brad Bird.

The storyboarding forum on drawingboard.org.

A blog, Temple of the Seven Golden Camels, by a professional animator who links to just tons and tons of resources about composition and framing that are useful for storyboarding.

Storyboard templates in the major film aspect ratios.

And always remember, clarity clarity clarity. Storyboards are communication.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just started messing around with illustrator, and for some reason it doesn't recognize my tablet pen's pressure levels, angle, etc. the way photoshop did for me. A friend of mine mentioned something about preferences and settings but he hasn't gotten back to me. Any ideas?

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
1) Inking with a brush is hard. Is there a certain type of white out to use? I tried just a regular office type (bic?) and it dried pretty bumpy. Do you have to sand it or something? Plus it seemed to resist the ink a bit (waterproof india ink).

1.1) - Also, what's the best BRAND of brush? I always hear "sable #2". I just bought a cheap-o synthetic to practice with, but it seems a bit iffy.

2) Any ideas on an art project involving kids ages 6-10, based on the theme "down on the farm" (ugh).

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

anaaki posted:

1) Inking with a brush is hard. Is there a certain type of white out to use? I tried just a regular office type (bic?) and it dried pretty bumpy. Do you have to sand it or something? Plus it seemed to resist the ink a bit (waterproof india ink).

1.1) - Also, what's the best BRAND of brush? I always hear "sable #2". I just bought a cheap-o synthetic to practice with, but it seems a bit iffy.

If you bought a synthetic then you did NOT buy a sable. Both refer to the types of hairs or bristles in the brush. Natural fibers, such as sable (which is a high-end fiber, being the tail hairs of minx) hold and deposit ink much more smoothly than synthetic (plastic) fibers. Kolinsky sable, which is the very nicest of the Kolinksy siberian weasel tail hairs (no kidding), is the gold standard of sable brushes. They also can go for hundreds of dollars per brush.

Buy a natural sable brush. No synthetic. Synthetic is fine for acrylic and oil painting, but with ink, you need natural hair's ability to form a perfect point and deposit ink.

[edit] Squirrel hair brushes are a cheap alternative to sable. But whatever you do, stick to a natural as opposed to synthetic.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

If you bought a synthetic then you did NOT buy a sable. Both refer to the types of hairs or bristles in the brush. Natural fibers, such as sable (which is a high-end fiber, being the tail hairs of minx) hold and deposit ink much more smoothly than synthetic (plastic) fibers. Kolinsky sable, which is the very nicest of the Kolinksy siberian weasel tail hairs (no kidding), is the gold standard of sable brushes. They also can go for hundreds of dollars per brush.

Buy a natural sable brush. No synthetic. Synthetic is fine for acrylic and oil painting, but with ink, you need natural hair's ability to form a perfect point and deposit ink.

[edit] Squirrel hair brushes are a cheap alternative to sable. But whatever you do, stick to a natural as opposed to synthetic.

Thanks! I grabbed the synthentic because I read it was good to try it out, before spending the money on sable. But when I looked at prices, all the sables were $2-$3 and that didn't seem right. It seemed too inexpensive. And their #2s looked sooo skinny. It just didn't seem right to me. I was at Hobby Lobby though, and I plan on going to the real art store next week.

There was a lot of strange animal hairs, squirrel being one, and then another one... Mongoose, maybe?

vvv good to know, thanks :)

anaaki fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 13, 2010

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

anaaki posted:

Thanks! I grabbed the synthentic because I read it was good to try it out, before spending the money on sable. But when I looked at prices, all the sables were $2-$3 and that didn't seem right. It seemed too inexpensive. And their #2s looked sooo skinny. It just didn't seem right to me. I was at Hobby Lobby though, and I plan on going to the real art store next week.

There was a lot of strange animal hairs, squirrel being one, and then another one... Mongoose, maybe?

A cheap sable brush will work just fine. Also, if you think a #2 is skinny then take a look at a 0, or 00. I like to use 18/0 a lot for really fine lines.

Also, there are a lot of different tips on brushes. If you're doing general linework or just getting a feel for inking, make sure that the brush is labeled as "round," that's a good general-use brush. "liner" brushes have longer bristles and are for drawing long graceful lines and "spotters" are for tiny details and don't hold much ink.

MIRV Griffin
Jul 31, 2009
I do comics and my lettering is awful. I only have fixed-width pens that look lame with my handwriting, or brushes that don't lend themselves well to lettering.

What do people use for hand-lettering? I need recommendations before I blow limited funds.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Typography question. We're recreating a local store front in Maya for my Intro to 3D Modeling class and I'm basically done except for the address and logo on the front. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to what fonts these might be. None of the standard Windows fonts match either of them. I suppose I could design them myself if need be but I thought I'd try here first.

Click here for the full 1800x1350 image.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Pibborando San posted:

Typography question. We're recreating a local store front in Maya for my Intro to 3D Modeling class and I'm basically done except for the address and logo on the front. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to what fonts these might be. None of the standard Windows fonts match either of them. I suppose I could design them myself if need be but I thought I'd try here first.

Futura will get you close to the "Moule" font.
http://new.myfonts.com/search/futura/fonts/

Bodoni will also get you close to the address numbers.
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/bodoni-1/

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
So, there's suddenly a sale with Corel Painter 11 on sale for about $50 instead of the usual $400, and I thought it may be time to upgrade my art program. However, I don't really know what program I should get, and if Painter 11 is what I want.

So up to now, I've been using Paint Shop Pro 5 as my primary art program, since the day it was bought for me off the shelf at Circuit City or something, brand new. I've been using it for miscellaneous drawing, the bundled Animation Shop for creating animations/cartoons, and as a light version of photoshop. Nothing really PROFESSIONAL, but I'd want something that's like a Super-MSPaint, in that it can be simple enough to let me doodle and scribble, but also let me do something bigger and be more powerful in the event that I challenge myself with a bigger pet project such as my Let's Play Metroid II thread, like my avatar. Bonus points for something that also comes bundled with something capable of compiling/editing animations (mostly .gifs).

Would Painter 11 be a good transition here? Should I spring on its sale, or should I hold out for something else that's better suited?

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

Fnoigy posted:

Would Painter 11 be a good transition here? Should I spring on its sale, or should I hold out for something else that's better suited?

I would say hold out for something else. As much as I've loved the Painter programs in the past, I upgraded to Painter 11 and regret it. It's rife with bugs and while I've learned to deal with it somewhat, and there's some work-arounds you can find on the Internet, it still makes for an unpleasant experience.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Quick one:

I heard an answer for this from The Worst Unicorn a while back, but forgot the trick.

I'm doing a handwritten logo for an adoption agency and I'm looking to help clarify the lines I've scanned into photoshop. Currently using photoshop CS4. I remember the process being something like duplicating the layer twice and using a blending mode, then using some obscure hardly-used filter and it made it amazing, I just can't seem to remember it.

Elephantgun fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 23, 2010

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Any books or websites that cover basic scientific illustration? I'm looking to do some simple diagnostics of spider parts;

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

moss piglet posted:

Any books or websites that cover basic scientific illustration? I'm looking to do some simple diagnostics of spider parts;

Keys are usually a good place to find these, or biodiversity surveys. If you can, get to a university library and look up keys and studies on cataloguing/identifying/surveying species diversity in various regions.

An addition to my former question: what WOULD be a good art program, then? Keep in mind, I'll probably be upgrading to Windows 7, so whatever suggestions would have to work there.

VVVV Yea, that isn't what I wanted to hear. I really am looking for a Super-MSPaint, like PSP5 was. Last time I used Photoshop, it felt like anything you could do in MSPaint in 1 minute would take 5 in Photoshop, and you'd spend a few hours before learning where everything is to do it, then do a few minutes after of post-processing.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 25, 2010

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but Adobe Photoshop is industry standard for just about everything. Heck, you can even make animated GIFs with it.

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009
I'm trying to sell art. I've had good success so far, both on here and in real life. What are another couple sites aside from SA that I can sell canvas art on?

Is there a thread on how to sell art and custom pieces online?

Thanks. :)

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Fnoigy posted:

Keys are usually a good place to find these, or biodiversity surveys.

Well, yes, I'm planning to help a friend who is creating a revision of a genus, and a few new descriptions. I'll mostly be drawing the epigyne (poony) of females, which is very diagnostic in species identification.

I'm mostly asking if anyone has read any good books on the subject of scientific biological illustration itself. Techniques, etc.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

moss piglet posted:

Well, yes, I'm planning to help a friend who is creating a revision of a genus, and a few new descriptions. I'll mostly be drawing the epigyne (poony) of females, which is very diagnostic in species identification.

I'm mostly asking if anyone has read any good books on the subject of scientific biological illustration itself. Techniques, etc.

There are a couple named something like "Scientific Illustration" IIRC? Have you googled it, or tried Amazon?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just got a new intuos4 and the program I chose to draw with is the free sketchbook express Wacom offers. It's a nice program, but I'm wondering if I should just spring for sketchbook pro 2010 instead?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
So I'm getting a lot of stuff framed right now. A few things I took to a professional framer, and then yesterday I went and picked up about a dozen frames to do myself. The frames I picked up are all floating frames, where the piece is just pressed between two pieces of glass with no mat. I mentioned this to the professional and he informed me that this was horrible, that a major purpose of mats is to keep the piece from touching the glass. He warned that basically ANYTHING kept in a floating frame would eventually be messed up in one way or another. I can understand that paintings or photographs would stick the glass, but he insisted even something pencil or ink would suffer.

Now, I have the receipt and can just go return all the frames (although I hate being that kind of customer) but I actually like the effect of the floating frames. Is there any way to make them work?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
the immediate reasons that come to mind would be that things break down over time and emit gasses that need to escape, some organic materials will do better exposed to open air, and the air can act as a buffer for changes in heat

you might also consider the breakdown of artwork as a chemical process that occurs over time, thus pressing a hot element against it, like a piece of glass, would increase that rate as all chemical processes speed up with heat increases (there's some formula for that)

still, exposure to light over long periods of time will be the main source of image degradation

consider a mylar encapsulation or mounting the piece in a matte and then floating it if thats your thing and it's really valueable/worth it - if its just cheap stuff with no high fiscal or sentimental value I wouldn't worry about it that much

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

killing_fields posted:

I'm trying to sell art. I've had good success so far, both on here and in real life. What are another couple sites aside from SA that I can sell canvas art on?

Is there a thread on how to sell art and custom pieces online?

Thanks. :)

It depends on your style of art, but there's always eBay. I purchase quite a lot of art there. You can also offer things for sale on a deviant art account. If by custom pieces you mean commissions, again eBay and deviant art are good, simple places to offer your services and provide samples of previous work.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Not sure where else to ask this. I'm trying to make a boarder around an image in Photoshop, and I have the boarder selected, but when I use the paintbucket or the "fill" option it keeps putting a white gradient instead of a solid white color. I don't see any gradient option selected?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I'm a loving idiot and had the idea of drawing a nude from a reference with tons of negative space (the negative space was actually what made me want to draw it in the first place). I'm a total nub when it comes to using pencil for realistic rendering, what's the best pencil to use to render large areas of black? The tutorial I've been referring to recommends using a hard edge pencil (so I've been using HB and 2B) and keeping it super sharp, which I've been doing but it's a gigantic pain in the butt and doesn't get as dark as I'd like. I've also tried using 8b, which is nice and dark but wears down too fast and shows too much of the paper grain (///_ಥ)

Normally I'd just use vine charcoal but I'm trying to stick with art pencils this time around.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jediBAMF
Jun 2, 2006

many money
break-it fruity
earl-gray drinking
harmony croquis
crisis fruity boy

Humboldt squid posted:

I'm a loving idiot and had the idea of drawing a nude from a reference with tons of negative space (the negative space was actually what made me want to draw it in the first place). I'm a total nub when it comes to using pencil for realistic rendering, what's the best pencil to use to render large areas of black? The tutorial I've been referring to recommends using a hard edge pencil (so I've been using HB and 2B) and keeping it super sharp, which I've been doing but it's a gigantic pain in the butt and doesn't get as dark as I'd like. I've also tried using 8b, which is nice and dark but wears down too fast and shows too much of the paper grain (///_ಥ)

Normally I'd just use vine charcoal but I'm trying to stick with art pencils this time around.

welp, If I were you I'd just go ahead and use india ink and a nice brush. India ink is really smooth and extremely easy to work with, and it gives you THE blackest black.

But if you want to stick with pencils, then I'd go to the local art store and by a woodless graphite in the highest number B possible. You should be able to find 8 or 9b) I think you'll find that a woodless high-b pencil will make the paper wrinkle less and you won't have to sharpen as often.