Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Cool, so they did modify the frame. They'll still be subject to most weapons' lower g-limit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
What weapons have a G-limit lower than the aircraft's? Surely not the missiles, seeing as they're supposed to be able to out-turn another plane (The Sidewinder's safety doesn't even arm the warhead until after 5 seconds of 20G acceleration, and the AIM-9X has vectored thrust that makes it capable of something like 60G turns). That basically leaves bombs, though I don't really see a reason for them to have such a low G-limit. When it comes to weapons I'd be more concerned about the extra stress of a weapon hanging on at 9G causing damage to the wing than I would about the weapon itself.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ApathyGifted posted:

What weapons have a G-limit lower than the aircraft's? Surely not the missiles, seeing as they're supposed to be able to out-turn another plane (The Sidewinder's safety doesn't even arm the warhead until after 5 seconds of 20G acceleration, and the AIM-9X has vectored thrust that makes it capable of something like 60G turns). That basically leaves bombs, though I don't really see a reason for them to have such a low G-limit. When it comes to weapons I'd be more concerned about the extra stress of a weapon hanging on at 9G causing damage to the wing than I would about the weapon itself.

While the weapons themselves can take a tremendous amount of G-loading during their short flight, there are a number of other limitations on how much g-force can be applied to a weapon mounted on an aircraft. First, there might be a limit based on the strength of the attachment points on the weapon itself. Second, the pylon itself might be limited on how much force it can withstand under a given set of conditions. Also, the separation system has limitations as to how much g-force it can take while still being able to guarantee that the weapon will separate from the aircraft cleanly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, that's a much better explanation than my half-assed attempts. Although certain types of fuzes do have a limit, I don't have a specific example. I think they're all air-to-ground munitions.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

ApathyGifted posted:

What weapons have a G-limit lower than the aircraft's?

Not exactly late-breaking news, but I've read that feed mechanism on the 20mm Colts on the F-8 Crusader liked to jam under high G maneuvers.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Random images I've collected over the years.

Some sort of experimental wing:

I took this picture during Redflag 1990.

B-52 showing the Navy what's what:

Air Tractor showing power lines what's what:

A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) looking all warthoggy:

Pratt & Whitney J-58 (SR-71 power plant) on the test cell:

Another Test Cell image (unsure of make & model engine):

Another Jet Train:

Misuse of a radial engine:

GE90-115B on Boeing 777:

Result of a midair between glider and Hawker 800XP (no deaths!):

Hawker 800XP with minor missile damage:

What happens if you don't follow your checklist (accidental nose gear retraction):

B-52 acting as engine test bed:

A-1 Skyraider delivering modern plumbing to the North Vietnamese:

Where I work:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

LOO posted:

B-52 acting as engine test bed:

This is what I've wondered. I know a B-52 served as an engine test bed for the 747-100's engines, but I've heard is nearly impossible to re-work the B-52 fleet to move from 8 to 4 engines. Are the plumbing/electrical/mechanical connections so complex that the Air Force can't swap out the current layout for four engines with better economy and higher thrust?

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Minto Took posted:

This is what I've wondered. I know a B-52 served as an engine test bed for the 747-100's engines, but I've heard is nearly impossible to re-work the B-52 fleet to move from 8 to 4 engines. Are the plumbing/electrical/mechanical connections so complex that the Air Force can't swap out the current layout for four engines with better economy and higher thrust?

If they can replace #4 & #5 with one big engine (as pictured), they can replace them all. My understanding is that wasn't economically advantageous to do so. Probably because they spent the money on B-1 Lancers, and B-2 Spirits.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Do you work for Netjets, Loo?

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

VOR LOC posted:

Do you work for Netjets, Loo?

No, but the FBO I work for maintains most of their Hawker fleet.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Saab geek checking in. Stole some pictures from airliners.net.

Draken

Click here for the full 1024x696 image.

Click here for the full 1024x695 image.

Click here for the full 1200x812 image.

Viggen

Click here for the full 1024x739 image.

Some Gripen for good measure. Not quite as much of a looker as the Draken and Viggen, though.

Click here for the full 1200x812 image.

They make civilian aircraft too, but really, who cares about those!

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
When flying in formation the leader really is the leader. Dude doesn't look at anything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M725Qw6_UIM

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

slothrop posted:

After reading The Right Stuff earlier this year I feel that sometimes we forget about the totally rockin' dudes who flew the amazing planes we have such a hard on for (not saying I don't)

How about :

Scott Crossfield

Guy did some pretty amazing things and would possibly have been one of the first men in space if the whole rocket plane thing had gone ahead instead of Mercury (feel free to correct me)

Going back a page, but my personal favorite is Ted Williams. Probably the best hitter to play baseball, he was the last batter with an over .400 batting average. In 1941, he had a .406 average over the entire season. The next year he was drafted as a Marine pilot. During the war he broke all gunnery records, and instructed on Corsairs, he was in Pearl Harbor awaiting deployment when the war ended.

After the war he returned to the Red Sox, only to be called back in 1952 for Korea, flying the F9F....as John Glenn's wingman.

Of course there's always Smokey Yunick and his time in bombers, but that's a given for AI I suppose.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Saab geek checking in. Stole some pictures from airliners.net.

There were a bunch of Tunnan shots on http://planeshots.tumblr.com/ yesterday.

I believe it is the only Saab to have been used in combat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LOO posted:

If they can replace #4 & #5 with one big engine (as pictured), they can replace them all. My understanding is that wasn't economically advantageous to do so. Probably because they spent the money on B-1 Lancers, and B-2 Spirits.

It's all a money issue. The E-3 AWACS and E-8 JSTARS use the same engines and will continue to do so for the same reason. The AF doesn't have the cash for new engines, especially when there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of spares sitting around. The same engine used to be on the KC-135s (all re-engined with CFM-56 or retired) and C-141 (retired), plus a handful of other low-production aircraft.

Edit: VVV :hfive:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 1, 2010

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Minto Took posted:

They could do it, but there's so many spare TF33's lying around that it's still just cheaper to use them instead.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Slo-Tek posted:

There were a bunch of Tunnan shots on http://planeshots.tumblr.com/ yesterday.

I believe it is the only Saab to have been used in combat.

Can't believe I forgot about Tunnan :v: That's what I get for posting half asleep.

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.

slidebite posted:

Lots of pics

No WWII warbird photos?! :argh:

I was just there this past Saturday and I agree, I could easily spend an entire day there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey guys i heard saab tried making cars at one point, c/d?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Hey guys i heard saab tried making cars at one point, c/d?

:golfclap:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Saab Goodness

Yay Saabs! I like 'em and I'm not even Swedish. I guess it's because in my mind that's what we should have been putting out, planes that are fairly inexpensive, rugged, and suited for a northern climate.

Also I don't know how they did it but the Draken manages to combine the plainest fuselage with the sexiest planform imaginable. Seriously from the side it's basically a tube with a rudder and then get any sort of angle so that the wings are visible and suddenly it looks like something out of a goddamn top-down shooter.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Minto Took posted:

Re-engining the B-52 fleet is actually being considered, but it seems to be dead at the moment.

Boeing proposed converting the B-52 fleet to use Rolls-Royce RB211's (which power the 747, 757 and 767), but the GAO claimed that the Boeing cost study was inaccurate and the program would be too costly, which stopped the idea in the early 2000's.

In 2003, a Defense Sciences Board claimed that the GAO report was flawed, and the original Boeing proposal was correct, resulting in the Defense Sciences Board urging the Pentagon to re-engine the B-52 fleet.

That recommendation was made in 2004, so it does appear that the re-engining program is dead for now, but since the B-52 is supposed to be around for another 40 years or so, I wouldn't be surprised if the engines aren't replaced eventually.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
They'll probably consider it again when the pile of spare TF33s starts to run down.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

blambert posted:

When flying in formation the leader really is the leader. Dude doesn't look at anything else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M725Qw6_UIM

Incredible. I just sat agape while watching that. :aaa:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
They should use four of the GE90 777 engines. That thing would be so beastly.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 2, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

OptimusMatrix posted:

and so would its radar signature

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

kill me now posted:

and so would its radar signature

Yes it's as if it was almost non existent as it is now.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

OptimusMatrix posted:

I can't imagine how governed they'd have to be. Four of those at full throttle could rip up the wings.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Minto Took posted:

I can't imagine how governed they'd have to be. Four of those at full throttle could rip up the wings.

Don't you mean rip the wings clean off, like the B-47? Gated throttles so you don't overspeed the airframe?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

Don't you mean rip the wings clean off, like the B-47? Gated throttles so you don't overspeed the airframe?

Either or, I guess. I forgot the numbers but the net thrust of two GE90s is the same if not more than eight TF33s.

e: Never mind. Two GE90s are 77k lbf whereas eight TF33s are 136k lbf.

e^2: Depends on the model. :v:

Two GE90s in the 773ER produce 230k lbf net thrust.

e^3: I can't read tables.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 2, 2010

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
According to Wikipedia, the TF-33s in the B-52 put out about 17,000lbs each, for a total of 136,000lbs. A single GE90-115b puts out 115,000lbs of thrust. Mounting 4 of them on a B-52 would count as gross overkill. Even just two of them is going to be a bit much, although there are lower rated variants that may be more appropriate. A pair of the lowest end models (GE90-76b) would still give you about 12% more thrust than the old 8xTF-33 configuration.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Beaten. Goddamn phone calls /\/\/\

And yes I agree I said 4 but 2 of the lower to midrange engines would be plenty.

Minto Took posted:

Either or, I guess. I forgot the numbers but the net thrust of two GE90s is the same if not more than eight TF33s.

e: Never mind. Two GE90s are 77k lbf whereas eight TF33s are 136k lbf.

e^2: Depends on the model. :v:

Two GE90s in the 773ER produce 115k lbf. So not equal but within 21k lbf.

Yes but the bottom of the line GE90 produces 77k lbf whereas the highest model creates 115k lbf. So wouldn't it be more fuel efficient and mechanically effiencient to only have 2 engines instead of 8?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

OptimusMatrix posted:

Beaten. Goddamn phone calls /\/\/\

And yes I agree I said 4 but 2 of the lower to midrange engines would be plenty.

Yes but the bottom of the line GE90 produces 77k lbf whereas the highest model creates 115k lbf. So wouldn't it be more fuel efficient and mechanically effiencient to only have 2 engines instead of 8?

Air Force likes to have four engines in their bombers.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
I'm fairly certain that due to the B-52's drooping wings that the GE90 wouldn't even fit under them anyway. The GE90 is almost bigger around than the fuselage of a 737, after all. Even it it did manage to fit under there you'd be making GBS threads yourself over FOD.

Hell, here's a picture of a GE90 fitted to a 747 for testing. That one engine was able to keep the entire 747 flying, by itself.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Well, if you install just two of the -115 models, you could have one engine blown completely off and still have more than enough thrust to keep flying. Shoot, you could take off with one engine with a most of a load of fuel and bombs. That single GE90 is producing 85% of the thrust of all 8 TF-33s.

Actually fitting the engines under the B-52 is an exercise left to the reader.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

jandrese posted:

Well, if you install just two of the -115 models, you could have one engine blown completely off and still have more than enough thrust to keep flying. Shoot, you could take off with one engine with a most of a load of fuel and bombs. That single GE90 is producing 85% of the thrust of all 8 TF-33s.

Actually fitting the engines under the B-52 is an exercise left to the reader.

2 huge targets under wings aren't very good for survivability when someone is actively gunning for you.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Well I was able to find the height of the b52's fuselage is 17'6" and I found that the GE90-115b has a diameter of 11'3" so it would fit barely.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Muffinpox posted:

2 huge targets under wings aren't very good for survivability when someone is actively gunning for you.

Line the wings and fuselage with hundreds of go-kart pulsejets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Muffinpox posted:

I really don't think it's going to make that much of a difference in terms of survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What if you mounted 8 of them in 4 pods, hmm?