Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

Please tell me you did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Does anyone have some links to some hardcore scale model building forums? Something along the lines of making up WW2 scale models, converting it to be more historically accurate, and painting it with filters, airbrush, all that good stuff. Someone posted a link to one ages ago and said they were really elite and not welcoming to newbies. I just want to check them out and steal some techniques.

Also, PV when are you going to expand to overseas orders, I wanna make you RICH BIATCH.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Tentacle Party posted:

Also, PV when are you going to expand to overseas orders, I wanna make you RICH BIATCH.

Where you live, broheim?

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
We are through the Dwarf Wereshark looking glass. There's no going back now.

And here is the Pathfinder Dragon. You'll notice it is quite smaller than an average GW dragon. Still kick rear end, well worth the money.

I also got a couple of boxes of the River Trolls. Awesome set.

Over all, this geek mail day gets an A+.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Bachtere posted:

I assume this is for vomitmarine?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

PaintVagrant posted:

Where you live, broheim?

Australia.

And from what i've found, no-one here sells the series 7s and I cant find a better basing deal that yours.

If I were to order vallejo or P3 paints from https://www.thecombatcompany.com.au or https://www.gamingdragon.com.au , after the exchange rate each bottle is $1 AUD cheaper through PV.com. So if, for example, shipping from you is $20, and domestic stores charge $9 for postage, i only need to buy 11 paints to be saving money. Not to mention savings on your other items. Oh man, the army painter hobby knife is half price through you!

That being said, it's your business decision, and if your not ready for internationals yet thats cool.

edit - there you go, thewarstore give and estimate postage cost for 12 paints at $25 for International USPS Express.

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 2, 2010

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

PaintVagrant posted:

:frogsiren:

FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $75

use coupon code "FREESHIP"

Probably only for lame US people :mad:

ElSeņorPeePants posted:

i just took a look at the reaper minis webpage and that is one of the worst layouts i've ever seen. as cool as they are, i wouldn't buy any reaper minis because that webpage is loving atrocious. also, PV, when are you going to get some cylindrical plasticard on your site? i will buy that poo poo up immediately.

...The website works fine, and the figure finder is an astoundingly good idea that works great.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

Australia.

And from what i've found, no-one here sells the series 7s and I cant find a better basing deal that yours.

If I were to order vallejo or P3 paints from https://www.thecombatcompany.com.au or https://www.gamingdragon.com.au , after the exchange rate each bottle is $1 AUD cheaper through PV.com. So if, for example, shipping from you is $20, and domestic stores charge $9 for postage, i only need to buy 11 paints to be saving money. Not to mention savings on your other items. Oh man, the army painter hobby knife is half price through you!

That being said, it's your business decision, and if your not ready for internationals yet thats cool.

edit - there you go, thewarstore give and estimate postage cost for 12 paints at $25 for International USPS Express.

I just checked the USPS website. Basically, I can ship (uninsured) to australia for about $25 for up to 2 pounds of stuff. If its 3 pounds, its about 35 bux, 4 pounds is about $50.

So, if you want, hit up my store, let me know what you want, Ill weight it and give you a real shipping price and then we can do some business!

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Tentacle Party, I recently bought these brushes and I'm really happy with them, and for $25au for two size 1s, two 0s and shipping the price is pretty great.

You can get series 7s in australia from here but it would probably be cheaper to go with pv if you plan on doing a big order.

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 2, 2010

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Would it be worth it for the Aussies to do a group order, then split it when it arrives down here? I guess it would depend on how much it would cost to then have parts of it shipped to their final destinations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dr. Phildo posted:

Would it be worth it for the Aussies to do a group order, then split it when it arrives down here? I guess it would depend on how much it would cost to then have parts of it shipped to their final destinations.

That can be something you guys work out between yourselves, I cant be responsible for it after I ship it...that being said, its probably not a bad idea :]

In terms of international goons, if anyone wants stuff from my store, email me at paint.vagrant@gmail.com after you have decided what you want. Or AIM me at "PaintVagrant"

Ill weigh it and look up the price and charge you what I pay for the shipping.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 2, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Bachtere posted:

Please send me vomit. 100% serious. Send me a PM or e-mail me at Sole.Sushi @ Yahoo.com. :ohdear:
it's still for vomit marines, so you know.

VVVVVV
Awesome. Thank you kindly.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 2, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

sole you should have your mwh tomorrow or thurs, shipped it this afternoon

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

PaintVagrant posted:

I just checked the USPS website. Basically, I can ship (uninsured) to australia for about $25 for up to 2 pounds of stuff. If its 3 pounds, its about 35 bux, 4 pounds is about $50.

So, if you want, hit up my store, let me know what you want, Ill weight it and give you a real shipping price and then we can do some business!

You lied to me Broham! I am literally angry with rage! :argh:

Nah, I'm joking. If any Aussies do go in for a group order, hit me up with a pm or something.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Uber Kosh posted:

You lied to me Broham! I am literally angry with rage! :argh:

Nah, I'm joking. If any Aussies do go in for a group order, hit me up with a pm or something.

Now that I have the tools to figure out shipping to far away lands with weird looking money, I am in a better position to help you aussie dudes out.

Im hoping one day one of you will be kind enough to let me crash on your couch during the michigan winter

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Okay thats it, I'm going to buy a franchise off PV to re-sell his stuff in Australia. BRB, buying https://www.tentaclepaintpartyvagrant.com.au

But seriously, after tax returns? Lets do a group buy Ausgoons.

Speaking of tax returns, if the ATO's online calculator is anything to go by, I'm looking at a sweet sweet Iwata airbrush and compressor!

Timefortea
May 21, 2007

Finally, a fetish for everything!
I purchase my series 7 brushes from an art franchise on the Sunshine Coast, QLD. Eckersley's http://www.eckersleys.com.au/ which, seem to have other outlets.

IIrc i get them for 25-30$ which i certainly don't mind paying for the quality you get. Also, i found there for ~3$, micro permanent markers for all your bangbus/sanguis freehand writing etc on your mini's.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I'm flipping through an Imperial Armo(u)r book, and looking at how they do all kinds of filters to the pictures they put in there to get all cool and stuff, saturation and grain and whatnot. Anyone here do that with their models? Seems like something that might be an interesting distraction from the same old same old of the modeling thread.

Or not, I don't know. Anyone else care to play along? Can you talk with expertise about what you did to get your model shots to pop?

I'll start:

Nothing special. Radial soft focus, a bit of oversaturation to put a little hum in the power weapons, and then radial greyscale to the edges. I'm just using Picasa, as I don't really have Photoshop chops, but I like it better than the plain photo.

I don't really have any interesting terrain pieces to back these guys up to for a backdrop, but maybe you can do better.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I am seriously considering making a bit of terrain to shoot my models on, the only issue is finding a place in this tiny apartment to store it.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Where about are you AusHamGoons located?

Anyone else in Sydney?

Gaems and alcohol!

E: :derp: though it was the Hams thread.

OT; Do you guys think it would be unsporting to Oath a ton of stuff for July and paint it now :v:? I have to get my 1750 painted by July, I've still got 3 units to go, and transports + Objectives.

Also; I was considering painting my last Wave Serpent using this pattern;

Currently my army is all Red and true Saim Hann lookin'. If I went with a single black serpent carrying some Dragons, it would break the theme?

I mean, it'd still have a fair amount of red to tie it in... but still. On the other hand, the maroon with cracks looks sick.

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 2, 2010

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Fyrbrand posted:

Ffffff this was going to be my next great idea. Thanks, Warhammer Online Orc starter zone.

At least you've shown me that it can indeed look awesome. Paintroller grot owns.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

For the metal shoulder pads, is that mithril washed sepia?

E: and what did you use to highlight the black? It's perfect.

forgot to answer this earlier: all the gold is mithril+sepia

The black is highlighted with p3 bastion grey, which doenst really have an equivilent in GW. Im going to order some for the store, because it is super useful. Just make sure the edge highlights are thin and they look great

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I know this is the thread for people who love their plastic men, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyone in here willing to sell me a winged Netherlord Mk 1. Or at least point me to someone who would?

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
CROSSPOAST!

Just need to work on the cockpit

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I want to wash something with badab black, but don't want it to come out quite so dark... Am I best to thin with water, whatever is in vallejo thinner, matt medium or glaze medium?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

forgot to answer this earlier: all the gold is mithril+sepia

The black is highlighted with p3 bastion grey, which doenst really have an equivilent in GW. Im going to order some for the store, because it is super useful. Just make sure the edge highlights are thin and they look great

word son, I'm saving up but I'll be helping with your groceries/rent in the next few weeks

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Combaticus posted:

CROSSPOAST!

Just need to work on the cockpit

Hahahahaha are you loving kidding me? That is awesome!

edit - might as well post my latest project. Suppressed from the history books, but brought back to the world by me; the LiebePanzer, Hitlers most devastating (fabulous) tank division.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 2, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Tentacle Party posted:

the LiebePanzer

The Love-Tank Corps? Awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

infinity terrain, airbrushes own so fuckinghard :swoon:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

infinity terrain, airbrushes own so fuckinghard :swoon:

I hate you (how'd you do it)

I mean, I assume you lightly airbrushed on the brown rust/mud/whatever and then sponged on the dark chipped paint?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

1 Priemd them with a bone colored textured spray paint
2 layered on a couple of progressively lighter colored sprays on top to give a overhead light look
3 Layered on the warm tones at the bottom
4 sponged on brown for the weathering on edges
5 used devlan mud and streaked it to make those streaky things

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

1 Priemd them with a bone colored textured spray paint
2 layered on a couple of progressively lighter colored sprays on top to give a overhead light look
3 Layered on the warm tones at the bottom
4 sponged on brown for the weathering on edges
5 used devlan mud and streaked it to make those streaky things

gonna be doin' this with mine, gently caress yeah. just maybe with different colors.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Those buildings are pretty amazing. The only thing I see that's off is the top of the wall.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The sponged bits look a little uniform, but I'm only saying this to feel better about my own inferiority (never stop PV :swoon:)

Fix posted:

So I'm flipping through an Imperial Armo(u)r book, and looking at how they do all kinds of filters to the pictures they put in there to get all cool and stuff, saturation and grain and whatnot. Anyone here do that with their models? Seems like something that might be an interesting distraction from the same old same old of the modeling thread.

Or not, I don't know. Anyone else care to play along? Can you talk with expertise about what you did to get your model shots to pop?

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 3, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
this has been on my desktop for 5 months or so

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Haven't posted anything in a while as free painting time been seriously reduced recently, but here's a little WIP of my current project:

Click here for the full 1024x864 image.

Click here for the full 1024x649 image.

Click here for the full 1024x841 image.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Someone in this thread mentioned using those sonic jewelry cleaners to strip miniatures, but I can't remember who it was or if it was really this thread so finding the posts has been a pain. Anyone remember what I am talking about?

I'm sick of pine-sol and simple green, and with 5000+ points of Eldar to clean and repaint, it might actually be cheaper to use a sonic cleaner. Do they need any supplies (special fluid, whatever)? What's the biggest thing I can expect to fit in one? Jetbike? Vyper? Falcon? I'm assuming tanks are out, but it would be nice to stuff a vyper in there.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ashcans posted:

Someone in this thread mentioned using those sonic jewelry cleaners to strip miniatures, but I can't remember who it was or if it was really this thread so finding the posts has been a pain. Anyone remember what I am talking about?

I'm sick of pine-sol and simple green, and with 5000+ points of Eldar to clean and repaint, it might actually be cheaper to use a sonic cleaner. Do they need any supplies (special fluid, whatever)? What's the biggest thing I can expect to fit in one? Jetbike? Vyper? Falcon? I'm assuming tanks are out, but it would be nice to stuff a vyper in there.

It was Rapey, and I'm certain they come in vastly different sizes from tiny to stupid large and I'm pretty certain that you still stick with pine-sol / simple green to clean the paint off.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

MaliciousOnion posted:

The sponged bits look a little uniform, but I'm only saying this to feel better about my own inferiority (never stop PV :swoon:)

When did Menoth get dreads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Skarsnik posted:

Haven't posted anything in a while as free painting time been seriously reduced recently, but here's a little WIP of my current project:

Click here for the full 1024x649 image.

Click here for the full 1024x841 image.

This is really awesome and I would just like to say that I love Imperial Fist stuff that says "Dorn" on it because I always associate "Michael" with that name rather than "Rogal".

• Locked thread