Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston

etard knievel posted:

So is the 'techno' part of the name supposed to be ironic, or was "Yeah, cruncy sidechain electrohouse that sounds indistinguishable from every other club banger" too long to fit on beatport?

Did this song just hurt so good that you went hater on us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Midyett posted:

Did this song just hurt so good that you went hater on us?

the soulwax remix is pretty good and i might get some mileage out of it but its not really anything super special

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Its a fair cop. It get repetitive, like one. However its not loving one.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Fell in love with this track when I heard it on Boy 8-Bit's EM.
I'm not even sure exactly why! It has a wicked groove though

choo choo all night long

Visti & Meyland - Yes Maam (All Nite Long) (Trentemoller Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9YaRXvG2ps

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

I got a 404 error, what released ? :(

vossi
Mar 29, 2007

Spiderpig. Spiderpig.

Dono posted:

I got a 404 error, what released ? :(

paul chambers - yeah, techno! (soulwax remix)

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

etard knievel posted:

So is the 'techno' part of the name supposed to be ironic, or was "Yeah, cruncy sidechain electrohouse that sounds indistinguishable from every other club banger" too long to fit on beatport?

i'm at the point where 'techno' as a blanket term for the genre doesn't really bother me anymore. i suppose i just like the spirit of the track(s)

Firaga posted:

Fell in love with this track when I heard it on Boy 8-Bit's EM.
I'm not even sure exactly why! It has a wicked groove though

choo choo all night long

Visti & Meyland - Yes Maam (All Nite Long) (Trentemoller Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9YaRXvG2ps

that EM is full of gems. glad i discovered that track, as well as the JOTS remix of ali love

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
also, did anybody see simian at control on friday? killer night

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

new jots remix of kele - tenderoni

http://soundcloud.com/jokers-of-the-scene

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Vernacular posted:

I saw them live a couple of times in 09, but now they are doing "dj sets" whats their set up like is it just a basic dj set-up or do they still have their big screens/lightshow and run round their podium of controllers and laptops?

im asking because im gonna go see them at glasto but they have it down as a "dj set" an i think their live stuff is much better than dj but maybe its the same thing?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

LE0N posted:

I saw them live a couple of times in 09, but now they are doing "dj sets" whats their set up like is it just a basic dj set-up or do they still have their big screens/lightshow and run round their podium of controllers and laptops?

im asking because im gonna go see them at glasto but they have it down as a "dj set" an i think their live stuff is much better than dj but maybe its the same thing?

aaaaaaaaaaaa what does any of this even mean? the only difference is that they will be playing other peoples music as well as their own.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Threatis posted:

playing other peoples music as well as their own.

They do that "live" anyway...
I was asking whether they will be bringing their lighting and screens and stuff for the show, or just stand in front of some laptops playing tunes.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Threatis posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaa what does any of this even mean? the only difference is that they will be playing other peoples music as well as their own.

SMD has a really particular "live" show, with a cool circular stage with dozens of keyboards and things to tweak on it. I saw them last year, it was a blast. They *only* played their poo poo. DJ sets usually involve much less stage presence than that, and yeah playing other peoples music as well as their own...

I heard their DJ set at the Avalon was great, but only 1 of the guys was there. I hate when a DJ duo gets split up, cuz they rarely sound as good apart as they do together....

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

regardless if you're on the fence about seeing someone you like live because its a dj set instead of their live stuff, what's wrong with you? be honest, no producer has enough good tracks to merit listening to them for two hours straight. even for someone like daft punk whose whole pyramid lazer light show and whatever bullshit i'd be just as happy hearing what other tunes they think are worth playing as hearing them play the same stuff ive listened to at home. djs arent a rock band, and treating them like they are is only going to make your experiences worse

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

zerojake posted:

regardless if you're on the fence about seeing someone you like live because its a dj set instead of their live stuff, what's wrong with you? be honest, no producer has enough good tracks to merit listening to them for two hours straight. even for someone like daft punk whose whole pyramid lazer light show and whatever bullshit i'd be just as happy hearing what other tunes they think are worth playing as hearing them play the same stuff ive listened to at home. djs arent a rock band, and treating them like they are is only going to make your experiences worse

Because you are at a festival and there are a million other acts on at the same time, dj sets can sometimes be poo poo for a number of reasons. I've seen them live and dj (albeit the dj set was years ago and they have overhauled their whole show) and the live performance was 100000x better. Thats why.

zerojake posted:

djs arent a rock band, and treating them like they are is only going to make your experiences worse

i was only asking about the type of show that they had been doing recently due to past experiences but, thanks for the random advice i guess???

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Vernacular posted:

Yeah I was so there. It was pretty much what they said they were going to do (more like belvedere, less like hustler) and I was dancing all night.

Sucks only one dude was there, though.

I loved loved search even though the sound was all hosed up

http://www.myspace.com/lovesearch

e: I can hear the hook from cruel intention all day, every day.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 2, 2010

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim

Threatis posted:

new jots remix of kele - tenderoni

http://soundcloud.com/jokers-of-the-scene

o poo poo I hadn't seen Revolting Joks was out, I've been waiting months for it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

LE0N posted:

Because you are at a festival and there are a million other acts on at the same time, dj sets can sometimes be poo poo for a number of reasons.
I saw a Ladytron DJ set at a massive once that was the most atrocious thing I've ever scene. Even the totally decked out scenesters were looking at eachother like "what the gently caress is their problem?"

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2010

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

ManoliIsFat posted:

I saw a Ladytron DJ set once that was the most attrocious thing I've ever scene. Even the totally decked out scenesters were looking at eachother like "what the gently caress is their problem?"

train wreck after train wreck?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trill rear end posted:

train wreck after train wreck?

Ya, and that doesn't normally turn me off but it totally did here. They only got the spot because of their famous indie rock name obviously. And just no flow or mood to the set at all, just playing tracks, one after the other, not really djing.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

zerojake posted:

, no producer has enough good tracks to merit listening to them for two hours straight.

A lot of producers that have been active for a long time have extensive discographies and some are known for doing sets entirely of their own material. In most cases I would prefer to hear a set showcasing many artists, but its far from unheard of.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

I saw a Ladytron DJ set at a massive once that was the most atrocious thing I've ever scene. Even the totally decked out scenesters were looking at eachother like "what the gently caress is their problem?"

mmmm exactly.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
I listen to a lot of electro/house (whatever its called) stuff, and I know this sounds really dumb but, I dont exactly know what the genre's of each really are. What would something like SebastiAn's stuff fall under? (I like the really heavy tracks)

Something like:
SebastiAn - Motor (Neus Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGJlzx0cZVk

It just sorta bugs me because I keep looking round and I can never find stuff heavy enough for my tastes.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

poop posted:

I listen to a lot of electro/house (whatever its called) stuff, and I know this sounds really dumb but, I dont exactly know what the genre's of each really are. What would something like SebastiAn's stuff fall under? (I like the really heavy tracks)

Something like:

It just sorta bugs me because I keep looking round and I can never find stuff heavy enough for my tastes.

SebastiAn's part of that 2007 "Dirty Hard French Techno" scene... him, kavinsky, danger, justice, etc... boys noize too, sorta, even though he's not french

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN

Mr Viper posted:

SebastiAn's part of that 2007 "Dirty Hard French Techno" scene... him, kavinsky, danger, justice, etc... boys noize too, sorta, even though he's not french

Thanks, I haven't actually listened to any kavinsky stuff before, but I do know of the others. I'll keep looking around.

poop fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 3, 2010

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

a kind of bizarre question I suppose but does anyone know the name of (if it even has a name) the effect at about 1:59 in 4h30? Slipping out of tune? I'm trying to work out why it sounds so nostalgic.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

poop posted:

Something like:

Check out Teenage Bad Girl

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

_jink posted:

a kind of bizarre question I suppose but does anyone know the name of (if it even has a name) the effect at about 1:59 in 4h30? Slipping out of tune? I'm trying to work out why it sounds so nostalgic.
portamento aka glide (where it slides between two notes) or pitch bend (that little knob on the left of a keyboard he's just pushing up and down).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Oh hi there
http://soundcloud.com/mezzir/natalie-storm-look-pon-me-mezzir-remix

Also finally got around to listening to Lazerproof. Overall fairly underwhelmed but holy poo poo the I'm Not Your Toy remix is loving awesome. But like the Keep It Goin Louder track just kinda pales in comparison to the original. Cool concept though

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

warsow fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 26, 2012

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
ok i'm tired of guessing and no one else seems to know, WHAT is the sample used in 11h30 for the vocal part? it's driving me nuts, i know i've heard it before.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
It's just samples of his voice.
http://www.ohhcrapp.net/2007/12/interview-danger-watch-this-space.html

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

warsow fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 26, 2012

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

mezzir posted:

Oh hi there
http://soundcloud.com/mezzir/natalie-storm-look-pon-me-mezzir-remix

Also finally got around to listening to Lazerproof. Overall fairly underwhelmed but holy poo poo the I'm Not Your Toy remix is loving awesome. But like the Keep It Goin Louder track just kinda pales in comparison to the original. Cool concept though

Can I get a download link for that? This is loving awesome.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

ManoliIsFat posted:

portamento aka glide (where it slides between two notes) or pitch bend (that little knob on the left of a keyboard he's just pushing up and down).

Well, yeah. But I'm pretty sure he meant it to sound like those old theater projectors that would sometimes slip off frame and gently caress up the sound.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

phractured posted:

Can I get a download link for that? This is loving awesome.

Not yet, sorry :( The contest is still ongoing so until they announce winners I want to err on the side of caution. Will definitely post is as soon as I can though, or just check mezzir.com periodically, it'll be there for sure.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

mezzir posted:

Not yet, sorry :( The contest is still ongoing so until they announce winners I want to err on the side of caution. Will definitely post is as soon as I can though, or just check mezzir.com periodically, it'll be there for sure.

Word man thanks. This is so much better than the original.

Also would getting my friends old MPC be a good way to start making electronic music? Or where does one suggest I start?

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Lysis posted:

Well, yeah. But I'm pretty sure he meant it to sound like those old theater projectors that would sometimes slip off frame and gently caress up the sound.

Or a warped VHS or audio cassette.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

phractured posted:

Word man thanks. This is so much better than the original.

Also would getting my friends old MPC be a good way to start making electronic music? Or where does one suggest I start?

Hop on into ML, or more specifically read through this thread a bit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791601 and feel free to ask stupid questions, thats what the thread's there for :) (though read it first cause its probably been asked before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Hammsturabi posted:

Or a warped VHS or audio cassette.

Yeah, it's a VHS thing for sure.