Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Pompoon posted:

Out of curiosity, how do law schools view applicants with a major in the sciences? Most people I know get a degree in the humanities, or the weird auxiliary major my school has-sort of a law/philosophy type thing, and you also major in history, English, philosophy, etc. Anything that's heavy on writing and textual analysis. Would a science major be at a disadvantage?

Applying to law school would be a disadvantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

Incredulous Red posted:

Applying to law school would be a disadvantage

I know everyone loves hating on applying to law school, but can't we answer the questions too?

I'd imagine that having a background in the sciences would be a help, at least after law school, since you can potentially go into IP as well as any other field.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Special A posted:

I know everyone loves hating on applying to law school, but can't we answer the questions too?

I'd imagine that having a background in the sciences would be a help, at least after law school, since you can potentially go into IP as well as any other field.

Really, it doesn't make you all that special. There are plenty of people who majored in bio, chem, physics, engineering, computer science, or took enough science credits to sit for the patent bar.

Schools care about (1) LSAT (2) GPA (3) URM . . . . . . . . . . . . and then, light minutes out from the rest of that, softs like where you went to school, what you majored in.

That's the general rule. I guess there will always be some admissions officer who masturbates furiously while thinking of sneaking one or two white dance/physics majors with low GPAs and LSATs into his class of uniform 170+/3.9 manufactured snowflakes, but really that's a poor bet.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Special A posted:

Eh, sort of. There are a couple backgrounds that are particularly in demand - EE (any level) and PhD level biotech. Also, UG grades and prior work experience matter. IP firms definitely held my UGPA and kind of niche major (BME) against me for patent prosecution positions. Non-EE/biotech backgrounds sort of open doors, but not to the extent you may believe.

Not sure how the different backgrounds affect law school performance; I doubt they do, but that's totally anecdotal.

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

OptimistPrime posted:

Eh, sort of. There are a couple backgrounds that are particularly in demand - EE (any level) and PhD level biotech. Also, UG grades and prior work experience matter. IP firms definitely held my UGPA and kind of niche major (BME) against me for patent prosecution positions. Non-EE/biotech backgrounds sort of open doors, but not to the extent you may believe.

Not sure how the different backgrounds affect law school performance; I doubt they do, but that's totally anecdotal.

Are you doing IP now? If so, how difficult would you say it took you to find a job?

I also did a non-standard engineering major at school (bio and environmental), but I tried to fit in a few upper level electrical and computer engineering courses, which I did well in. Do you think that would end up helping? Like I said in my earlier post, if it doesn't work out with a T14 school, I probably wouldn't end up going since I wouldn't want to take the risk. But I figured I'd at least take the LSAT this October, apply, and see what happens.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Special A posted:

Are you doing IP now? If so, how difficult would you say it took you to find a job?

I also did a non-standard engineering major at school (bio and environmental), but I tried to fit in a few upper level electrical and computer engineering courses, which I did well in. Do you think that would end up helping? Like I said in my earlier post, if it doesn't work out with a T14 school, I probably wouldn't end up going since I wouldn't want to take the risk. But I figured I'd at least take the LSAT this October, apply, and see what happens.

I have an MSEE and some work experience and the job market isn't that great. I think that you'll find it difficult to get a patent prosecution type of job if you just have a "bio and environmental" engineering degree. There are tons of people with more 'valuable' technical backgrounds who are having a tough time finding work.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Special A posted:

I'm a laid off IP litigator. Been looking for a job for the last 6 months, looking at both prosecution and litigation, and it's pretty terrible. I'm in MN and a member of that bar, so it somewhat limits my options but also makes my BME degree a bit more valuable; still, I haven't had more than a couple leads going at the same time since getting canned last November.

Getting my previous job wasn't that hard; I got it through 3L OCI. This was in 2007, and my particular firm had just snagged a huge case and was developing a new client. When that client stopped working with the firm, so did I.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I'm looking for good references for bread-and-butter stuff like estate planning, especially trusts. I took my school's Trusts & Wills class, but it covered trusts in a pretty cursory fashion compared to what I'd expect one needs to know in practice. I'm looking at The Complete Book of Trusts on Amazon. Is there a better book out there I can get for around the same price, or is this one as good as it looks? Also, are there any other cheap yet good references on other fields essential to a solo practice?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Jesus loving christ. I just met some ditz who I went to high school with in my Bar/Bri class. She mentioned that she has a job lined up to replace the only immigration lawyer for ~30% of Alaskan boroughs. That's a shitton of Russians she automatically gets as clients right out of law school because her boss when she was an intern (her future boss's ex-coworker) decided to take several bribes and get disbarred. And she went to a bottom of the shitpile TTT. I want to stab her with an icepick and take her job.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

BigHead posted:

Jesus loving christ. I just met some ditz who I went to high school with in my Bar/Bri class. She mentioned that she has a job lined up to replace the only immigration lawyer for ~30% of Alaskan boroughs. That's a shitton of Russians she automatically gets as clients right out of law school because her boss when she was an intern (her future boss's ex-coworker) decided to take several bribes and get disbarred. And she went to a bottom of the shitpile TTT. I want to stab her with an icepick and take her job.

How do you feel about sex change operations?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Chakron posted:

How do you feel about sex change operations?

If I knew how to speak Russian fluently, I would literally consider slicing my dick off to get her cushy 150k+ small firm, easy hour, zero client hunting, immigration form-filling-out job.

Edit: while I would consider it, I am 100% positive that there would be a long line absolutely committed to slicing their dicks off for this job

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 2, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

If I knew how to speak Russian fluently, I would literally consider slicing my dick off to get her cushy 150k+ small firm, easy hour, zero client hunting, immigration form-filling-out job.

Edit: while I would consider it, I am 100% positive that there would be a long line absolutely committed to slicing their dicks off for this job

I think this is a misuse of the word "literally". I might suck a dick for that job but I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep mine and be homeless if those were the only two choices

don't be overdramatic dude

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Ok first of all, let me tell you I have _no plans_ of going to Law School in the USA ;O.

I am currently studying in New Zealand and I am in my third year of university (Law is a competitive entry undergraduate program here; old school LLB). I am a dual american-nz citizen with a lot of freedom to travel (Mum is retired air hostess with Northwest).

Its a long way off but I am interested in trying to get an idea into what kind of Law jobs there are for overseas grads that do not require attaining the Bar in the USA and I was wondering if any of you were aware of much information on this area. Consultancy etc., perhaps with a corporation that trades with New Zealand and what not.

Basically: info on non-Bar law-ish jobs.

Seattle seems nice. Id love to move there.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think this is a misuse of the word "literally". I might suck a dick for that job but I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep mine and be homeless if those were the only two choices

yeah you're gonna need that dick when you're homeless

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

OptimistPrime posted:

Eh, sort of. There are a couple backgrounds that are particularly in demand - EE (any level) and PhD level biotech.

I'm curious, why are electrical engineers always mentioned as being in demand? Is there just a shortage of them?

I ask because I always wanted to be an electrical engineer, but not badly enough to put forth any effort in any math class past 4th grade.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

loving Barbri

Chemerinsky is such a lovely mushmouth lecturer, ugh

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

diospadre posted:

I'm curious, why are electrical engineers always mentioned as being in demand? Is there just a shortage of them?

I ask because I always wanted to be an electrical engineer, but not badly enough to put forth any effort in any math class past 4th grade.

It's a combination of rarity, the type of work they can do, and the relative volumes of available business.

Firms can throw anyone with a registration number onto simple mechanical applications, but they're less willing to let some random ME run with an application directed to wireless networking technologies.

EEs are employable before they go to law school, so there is some rarity in terms of supply, but more of the rarity is due to demand; electronics are one of the most frequently litigated areas and an area where there's a lot of patent prosecution business (and their background matters). Compared to the number of, say, medical device or chemical process patents, there's a ton of electronics patents being filed.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Lemonus posted:

Ok first of all, let me tell you I have _no plans_ of going to Law School in the USA ;O.

I am currently studying in New Zealand and I am in my third year of university (Law is a competitive entry undergraduate program here; old school LLB). I am a dual american-nz citizen with a lot of freedom to travel (Mum is retired air hostess with Northwest).

Its a long way off but I am interested in trying to get an idea into what kind of Law jobs there are for overseas grads that do not require attaining the Bar in the USA and I was wondering if any of you were aware of much information on this area. Consultancy etc., perhaps with a corporation that trades with New Zealand and what not.

None. Seriously, none. There might be a handful of business positions with NZ corp offices in the US here and there because I think you guys have more flexibility jobhunting than we do, but in terms of legal consulting, there's probably not one job of that type for NZ LLB grads in the entire country. You'd at least need an LLM (that's a one year program here) and take a state bar before entering the US market, but then you'd be trying to get hired in this market and, well...yeah, no jobs.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Lemonus posted:

Before law school I was a diversity management consultant where I worked with companies on fine-tuning their diversity agendas, solving inclusion problems/concerns, stuff like that. Midway through I ended up gearing a lot of my work towards legal stuff; making companies aware of the law. I couldn't offer advice though so a lot of clients were like "just tell us what to do here" and I'm like "sorry dude no can do we don't have the means nor are we legally allowed to." So basically, there are sort of jobs out there where you can talk law, work with big companies, under a label of "consultant," but the pay wasn't that hot and it could get frustrating for both sides. Cool job and good experience but I would never want it as a career.

quote:

Seattle is the poo poo but for jobs I dunno. There's Microsoft, Nintendo and Boeing but none of these are actually in Seattle (two in Redmond where I grew up and one in Renton). I don't know what exact type of company you want to work for but unless it's one of these three there aren't too many other big games in town.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 2, 2010

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

diospadre posted:

It's because the EE degree is more broad. An EE can handle mechanical, computer engineering, networking, software, and of course electrical/semiconductor type patents. In contrast, a CS major probably isn't going to be working on any electrical or semiconductor patents. Quite frankly, I don't think that you really need a CS background to prosecute most software patents (many of them are simply described in simple and general algorithms), but you're going to need some EE understanding to work on EE related patents.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.

builds character posted:

Do you want to be a lawyer?

Yes. Every since I was in seventh grade and randomly picked up Gerry Spence's "How to Argue and Win Everytime" and read it voraciously.

The 125K is including cost of living, for the record.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Jove posted:

Yes. Every since I was in seventh grade and randomly picked up Gerry Spence's "How to Argue and Win Everytime" and read it voraciously.

This is really dumb.

On the other hand, HLS is one of 3 schools where you can actually do gainful nonlaw things so your mistake isn't too bad.

E:

OP - first listed reason under 'bad reasons to go' posted:

"Everyone says I'm a good arguer."
Great, then go join the debate team. Being a lawyer has very little to do with spontaneous arguing and everything to do with extensive, meticulous research and mind numbing document preparation / review.

JudicialRestraints fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 3, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

Seattle is the poo poo but for jobs I dunno. There's Microsoft, Nintendo and Boeing but none of these are actually in Seattle (two in Redmond where I grew up and one in Renton). I don't know what exact type of company you want to work for but unless it's one of these three there aren't too many other big games in town.

Don't forget the rapidly imploding biotech sector!

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

plester1 posted:

Don't forget the rapidly imploding biotech sector!

On that note, a few weeks ago I was at a Starbucks in NYC. Two biotech patent lawyers were sitting across from some guys from Merrill Lynch, and were trying to convince the guys that securitizing biotech patents (or, alternatively, a type of insurance on them) would be a good idea.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

So for my externship, it's just me and some dude from Harvard working there.

Sonofabitch wears suits everyday, so I have to as well. I just make sure I stay later than he does.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Incredulous Red posted:

Sonofabitch wears suits everyday, so I have to as well. I just make sure I stay later than he does.

Not if the actual employees there don't. Actually, if they don't and he does, you almost certainly shouldn't.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Not if the actual employees there don't. Actually, if they don't and he does, you almost certainly shouldn't.

The lawyers do. It's a public agency so dress code is all over the place.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Incredulous Red posted:

So for my externship, it's just me and some dude from Harvard working there.

sup extern buddy.

I just make sure I'm a little more dressed up than the average lawyer where I work. Also, I stay late because I enjoy my job and it's hard for me to drag myself away from the work. There's something about oppressing the disenfranchised that appeals to me. I probably should have been born british.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is why republicans are cutting jobless benefits. Nobody has the will to go the extra mile and consider slicing off their junk for a job.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
I have a question about my gpa and the lsdas. I originally tried to go to school back in 2000, and managed to flunk out of both the spring and fall semesters. I got my act together, went back to the same school in 2006, and graduated this spring. I used an online calculator to estimate my lsdas gpa. Including the failed semesters from 2000 I have a 3.46, but looking only at my second attempt from 2006-2010 I have a 4.09.

Will schools care that after a five year break I came back and kicked rear end, or will they only care about the 3.46?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Will schools care that after a five year break I came back and kicked rear end, or will they only care about the 3.46?
Write an addendum, because their main focus will be on your final UGPA. The 4.09 is neat, but isn't what will be reported to US News. Just utilize your addendum (not the personal statement) to talk about how now you're a total academic powerhouse and you've learned from your mistakes. Ninja edit: Some schools - such as Emory, if I recall correctly - will request/require additional essays, which may focus on large gaps in an academic career. Obviously, if this is the case, utilize the additional essay to talk about how now you're a total academic powerhouse, etc. instead of the addendum.

I was trying to imagine what would be a fun company to work in-house for as litigation counsel. I came up with Nintendo, Disney and Google, but then realized I never hear about them in any sort of lawsuit. This led me to wonder: Is that because they have awesome PR working 24/7 or is it because they actually really don't deal with lawsuits and employ in-house for pretty much only transactional capacities?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

I was trying to imagine what would be a fun company to work in-house for as litigation counsel. I came up with Nintendo, Disney and Google, but then realized I never hear about them in any sort of lawsuit. This led me to wonder: Is that because they have awesome PR working 24/7 or is it because they actually really don't deal with lawsuits and employ in-house for pretty much only transactional capacities?

That's funny, I've already had to read several cases involving Disney. They kinda sue everyone over thinking about Mickey Mouse without paying them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I came here to post this and say I'm not sure whether or not that guy is absolutely brilliant.

JudicialRestraints posted:

That's funny, I've already had to read several cases involving Disney. They kinda sue everyone over thinking about Mickey Mouse without paying them.

Disney, Nintendo and Google - IP IP IPIPIPIPI IPIPI PIIP IP IP IPIPIPIPPIP. That is what you will be doing in house. Sure, there's some transactional work too, but the vast majority of their work will relate to IP. Nintendo gets sued by patent trolls legitimate companies that worked hard to develop important patents that Nintendo STOLE every time they make a new console/DS. Disney sues every time someone uses Mickey Mouse (note that this isn't actually as dick a move as you might think) except the University of Oregon. Google is also gets sued a fair bit, both because they have the deepest pockets of any company ever except BP and because they tend to push the envelope a bit.

edit: a friend of mine works in house as a lawyer at a video games company and loves it but spends way less time at work playing video games than one might hope.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Green Crayons posted:

Google had a bunch of IP openings recently, but apparently their pay sucks. Also, I don't want to move to nocal.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

builds character posted:

Disney, Nintendo and Google - IP IP IPIPIPIPI IPIPI PIIP IP IP IPIPIPIPPIP. That is what you will be doing in house. Sure, there's some transactional work too, but the vast majority of their work will relate to IP. Nintendo gets sued by patent trolls legitimate companies that worked hard to develop important patents that Nintendo STOLE every time they make a new console/DS. Disney sues every time someone uses Mickey Mouse (note that this isn't actually as dick a move as you might think) except the University of Oregon. Google is also gets sued a fair bit, both because they have the deepest pockets of any company ever except BP and because they tend to push the envelope a bit.

edit: a friend of mine works in house as a lawyer at a video games company and loves it but spends way less time at work playing video games than one might hope.

To add a bit to this, at any given time there is an opening for an IP/Patent/Copywrite lawyer on Nintendo's job posting. They normally want five years experience. I can tell you that their campus is in a pretty good place (thanks to Microsoft, Redmond has developed into a nice suburb).

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Sony is battling some class-actions about their firmware updates that you could try and get in on too, but that's probably going to be sent to a real firm.

I'm applying for articles to a firm handling the plaintiffs up here, if I get in and get handed that file oh man :circlefap:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Sony is battling some class-actions about their firmware updates that you could try and get in on too, but that's probably going to be sent to a real firm.

I'm applying for articles to a firm handling the plaintiffs up here, if I get in and get handed that file oh man :circlefap:

If you get handed that file your arms will break :v:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm at a conference at UVa law, and I walked around the outside of the JAG building, which is next door. Pretty boring building but it's cool to see people walking around in fatigues and holding casebooks.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
does anyone know if personal statements and other similar writings are forwarded to the bar along with your application?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

I'm at a conference at UVa law, and I walked around the outside of the JAG building, which is next door. Pretty boring building but it's cool to see people walking around in fatigues and holding casebooks.

If all goes as planned I should be down there next Spring! Can't wait to practice the hell out of some law while wearing comfortable clothes to work er'day.