Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

JudicialRestraints posted:

That's funny, I've already had to read several cases involving Disney. They kinda sue everyone over thinking about Mickey Mouse without paying them.

Disney is involved in several classic business associations/corporate type cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

vibrantglow posted:

does anyone know if personal statements and other similar writings are forwarded to the bar along with your application?
Yes, of course they are.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

Linguica posted:

Yes, of course they are.

thanks, won that bet. my friend was convinced they weren't. sucks for him and his embellished story

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Green Crayons posted:

I was trying to imagine what would be a fun company to work in-house for as litigation counsel. I came up with Nintendo, Disney and Google, but then realized I never hear about them in any sort of lawsuit. This led me to wonder: Is that because they have awesome PR working 24/7 or is it because they actually really don't deal with lawsuits and employ in-house for pretty much only transactional capacities?

Google has a couple of very high profile issues going on right now...like the Google Books lawsuit issue and the Viacom-Youtube lawsuit.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

vibrantglow posted:

thanks, won that bet. my friend was convinced they weren't. sucks for him and his embellished story

I would like to hear the backstory to this.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

builds character posted:

Disney, Nintendo and Google - IP IP IPIPIPIPI IPIPI PIIP IP IP IPIPIPIPPIP.
For some reason I have the notions that 1. getting into IP law is difficult because it requires additional education outside of a JD and 2. that the IP field, in general, is shrinking.

I don't know why I have these notions or where I got them from, but they don't really seem to gel with what you just described. Are they incorrect?

gvibes posted:

Google had a bunch of IP openings recently, but apparently their pay sucks. Also, I don't want to move to nocal.
Didn't realize about the pay - but isn't inhouse just generally lower/mediocre across the board? I only remember reading about them being an awesome employer. Granted, the article wasn't for Google lawyers, so maybe the attorneys were relegated to the lovely spaces while all of the tech savvy employes got blowjobs and whatever.

rsvandy posted:

Google has a couple of very high profile issues going on right now...like the Google Books lawsuit issue and the Viacom-Youtube lawsuit.
I actually knew about these two, I'm just apparently unable to connect news stories to the fact that they require litigation. Or maybe I shouldn't post in the morning.

entris posted:

"My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi. And then I wanted to go to LAW SCHOOL X."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a lawyer

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm really good at arguing so I thought i would be a lawyer

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
As a liberal arts graduate from a mediocre state school, I feel that...

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Welp this job sucks I should go back to school and become a lawyer because I enjoy problem-solving and challenges

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
Math was way too tough to ever deal with again, but my engineering background will allow me to easily enter the lucrative and interesting field of patent law!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I'm really interested in international human rights law.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

vibrantglow posted:

I'm saying it's maybe a 20% chance they read his personal statements. Sure they've got it but how much time do they devote to each file if their cursory background check doesn't raise any flags?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahaha you guys are terrible.

I wanted to know what vibrantglow's friend had put in his personal statement, that he would worry about the bar reading it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ainsley McTree posted:

"If I could go from rags to riches..."

Mr. Law School Dean? You have a WHORE attending class in room 2R. JANICE ROSSI.

FIND YOUR OWN GOD drat FIRM!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=88472366&aid=89081893-3610&WT.mc_n=125

Apply now. PM me if you need help embellishing your answers properly.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Green Crayons posted:

For some reason I have the notions that 1. getting into IP law is difficult because it requires additional education outside of a JD and 2. that the IP field, in general, is shrinking.

I don't know why I have these notions or where I got them from, but they don't really seem to gel with what you just described. Are they incorrect?
Didn't realize about the pay - but isn't inhouse just generally lower/mediocre across the board? I only remember reading about them being an awesome employer. Granted, the article wasn't for Google lawyers, so maybe the attorneys were relegated to the lovely spaces while all of the tech savvy employes got blowjobs and whatever.
I actually knew about these two, I'm just apparently unable to connect news stories to the fact that they require litigation. Or maybe I shouldn't post in the morning.
"My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi. And then I wanted to go to LAW SCHOOL X."

There are two types of IP: hard IP and soft IP. Hard IP is patent stuff that requires membership in the patent bar. That requires education outside of a JD. Soft IP does not require additional education and is basically everything not patents. That said, if it's you with your BA in English and John Doe with his PhD in chemistry then John is getting the soft IP job.

That the vast majority of the IP work at those companies is IP isn't necessarily an indication that the IP field is shrinking. Historically it's much larger than it used to be but more recently I think there was an IP boom and then the economy tanked and jobs generally and spending on law services generally, both including IP, contracted. If you get a job at a big firm I don't know that you're any less likely to be able to do IP now than you were three years ago. It's just the first part that's more difficult now. I suppose the second is a bit more difficult because there are fewer hard IP jobs so those folks are competing for the soft IP jobs but I'm not aware of a huge increase in the number of soft IP folks with hard IP backgrounds.

At least in the transactional world you can usually expect to make about 70% of what you made as an associate when you go in-house. Of course there are places where that's not the case and I don't know what the conversion rate is for litigation folks.

Ainsley McTree posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkzc983aE0

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Hey boys and girls! I've skimmed this thread and haven't found any information to really help me with my query, so here goes.

Does anyone have any information about being/becoming a USAF JAG? I didn't read this thread before applying to law school, so the damage is done (though I wish I had read this thread before applying). I graduated a couple of weeks ago and I'm in the midst of bar study. I sit for the bar in July, and if I can stop browsing SA for five minutes and actually sit down and study, I hope to have my bar card come November (just kidding--I've put in a full day almost, just here on a break). I am facing bleak prospects, but I got a letter from the JAG inviting me to apply.

I went into law school on a patent litigation track, decided patents is too boring, and ended up taking litigation classes. Because of my undergrad degree, I could go into either biotech law or litigation. I could still do patent litigation, but I don't really want to, my grades are poo poo, and BigLaw doesn't appeal to me anymore. But this JAG thing sounds really, really interesting. I know it's not the same as, say, infantry, but at least the military is exciting. I've been bored to tears for three years, and facing prospects of either 100-hour weeks with super-serious patent nerds or sweating it out with smug suit-types in a courtroom, it's starting to look good. I've kind of always wanted to join the military, but wanted to get an undergrad degree first. The law school thing just sort of happened, and it's never been my passion, which my grades clearly show. I think I could possibly really sink my teeth into military work, but I don't really know exactly what it entails. I have looked at the JAG site and read all the FAQs but I'd like to hear more about what it's like, what's required, etc. Once I'm admitted to the state bar, I'd be a candidate, but I'd have to act fast--I'm 31 and you have to be under 35.

If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Hey boys and girls! I've skimmed this thread and haven't found any information to really help me with my query, so here goes.

Does anyone have any information about being/becoming a USAF JAG? I didn't read this thread before applying to law school, so the damage is done (though I wish I had read this thread before applying). I graduated a couple of weeks ago and I'm in the midst of bar study. I sit for the bar in July, and if I can stop browsing SA for five minutes and actually sit down and study, I hope to have my bar card come November (just kidding--I've put in a full day almost, just here on a break). I am facing bleak prospects, but I got a letter from the JAG inviting me to apply.

I went into law school on a patent litigation track, decided patents is too boring, and ended up taking litigation classes. Because of my undergrad degree, I could go into either biotech law or litigation. I could still do patent litigation, but I don't really want to, my grades are poo poo, and BigLaw doesn't appeal to me anymore. But this JAG thing sounds really, really interesting. I know it's not the same as, say, infantry, but at least the military is exciting. I've been bored to tears for three years, and facing prospects of either 100-hour weeks with super-serious patent nerds or sweating it out with smug suit-types in a courtroom, it's starting to look good. I've kind of always wanted to join the military, but wanted to get an undergrad degree first. The law school thing just sort of happened, and it's never been my passion, which my grades clearly show. I think I could possibly really sink my teeth into military work, but I don't really know exactly what it entails. I have looked at the JAG site and read all the FAQs but I'd like to hear more about what it's like, what's required, etc. Once I'm admitted to the state bar, I'd be a candidate, but I'd have to act fast--I'm 31 and you have to be under 35.

If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
someone in the thread got selected I think but it is ruinously competitive, especially now that the civilian job market is in the toilet. also I note with amusement that you wrote that whole post without mentioning where you went to law school.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

scribe jones posted:

someone in the thread got selected I think but it is ruinously competitive, especially now that the civilian job market is in the toilet. also I note with amusement that you wrote that whole post without mentioning where you went to law school.

Santa Clara. I didn't realize it mattered. I mean, we're not talking T14, but we're also not talking Golden Gate. Please don't let my disdain for my legal education influence the school's reputation--it's a good school with a great administration and mostly great professors, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Also, I read the post of someone who made it through the first round, but I think s/he said the post didn't start for another year, so s/he probably couldn't give me much information. I'm sure it's insanely competitive, as is the entire legal profession at this point.

It's possible that my entire graduating class got the same letter, but I haven't heard them say anything about it.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I was the selected one, but that selection was for the "alternate" list and is for the Army; although with the exception of the Marine Corps the JAG programs are essentially the same especially to someone with no prior service.

Alternate means if a spot does not open up for me this summer I'll have to reapply in the late fall or go Reserve, but it also means I'm virtually certain to get a main list spot the next time around. It is indeed extremely competitive. Something around 5% of applicants to Army JAG were accepted last application period.

I'm prior service and I also have two close friends serving as JAGs. As I've done for others in the thread I'd be glad to answer your questions to the best of my ability. I don't have PM's but you can email me at klegg at luc dot edu.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
whelp it looks like working 13 hours a day isn't fun

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
This has probably been asked recently, but I'm admittedly too busy studying to read 37 pages. I'm taking the LSAT on monday, has anything changed since '08? I took the Kaplan class then and I'm familiar with Comparative Reading addition. Anything else out of the blue in the few tests from 2008-2010, any return of the Mapping or Process games?

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

entris posted:

from what he's told me, he did a bit of "humanitarian" work in college (katrina related) but his personal statement said he did humanitarian work in africa

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

TheMadMilkman posted:

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=88472366&aid=89081893-3610&WT.mc_n=125

Apply now. PM me if you need help embellishing your answers properly.

Is where you end up completely random or can you select from pretty much anywhere in the nation. I might be interested in learning how to properly embellish my answers.

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

Green Crayons posted:

I was trying to imagine what would be a fun company to work in-house for as litigation counsel. I came up with Nintendo, Disney and Google, but then realized I never hear about them in any sort of lawsuit. This led me to wonder: Is that because they have awesome PR working 24/7 or is it because they actually really don't deal with lawsuits and employ in-house for pretty much only transactional capacities?
Nintendo has faced a few actions for anti-competitive conduct over the years: in the US in the 80s (when they wouldn't let developers make games for non-NES consoles) and Europe in the 2000s (price fixing).

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
They also sued Game Genie! I was like "How will I make Mario jump over the flagpole now?"

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Santa Clara. I didn't realize it mattered. I mean, we're not talking T14, but we're also not talking Golden Gate. Please don't let my disdain for my legal education influence the school's reputation--it's a good school with a great administration and mostly great professors, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Also, I read the post of someone who made it through the first round, but I think s/he said the post didn't start for another year, so s/he probably couldn't give me much information. I'm sure it's insanely competitive, as is the entire legal profession at this point.

It's possible that my entire graduating class got the same letter, but I haven't heard them say anything about it.

Santa Clara is also barely T2. Hope you have good grades.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

JudicialRestraints posted:

Santa Clara is also barely T2. Hope you have good grades.

Hey, that's really helpful, thanks!

Thank god I already have experience as a barista. Maybe Starbucks will take me back.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thank god I already have experience as a barista. Maybe Starbucks will take me back.

you joke but it's been a month and they still haven't responded to my application

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I don't think you'll find anything but blunt pessimism in this thread, if you want someone to tell you everything will be OK just call up your mom or something :(

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Ainsley McTree posted:

you joke but it's been a month and they still haven't responded to my application

I know it is sad that I have to ask this, but...

Why don't you just leave the J.D. out of your application for non-lawyer jobs?

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Firtly, I have no intention of going to Law School in the USA. poo poo sounds awful.

I am a dual NZ/USA citizen in my third year of a LLB/BA in New Zealand.

I was wondering if people had some sources of info on Non-Bar law-ish jobs in the USA and such? Perhaps consultancy and stuff for multinational corporations that trade with New Zealand or something like that. Maybe someone here has some idea of what opportunities are out there?.

Its a long way off but Im starting to get interested in living and working in Seattle, San Francisco or Atlanta after I graduate which would be like 2.5 years from now. Figured I should start exploring ideas.

I have a summer clerkship lined up with a top 4 NZ firm the summer after next it appears. The law job climate here does not seem nearly as awful as it is over in the USA. I am doing pretty well for myself grade-wise etc. which is nice too.

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 4, 2010

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Ask me about taking dumps with my girlfriend! And why I'm too poor to change my avatar back!
Mission Accomplished:patriot:

Hey brodles, a few pages back you guys were helping me with my girlfriend. Well, I figured it's only fair to congratulate you on a flawless victory. With your help, I managed to get her to put law school on hold for a year while she thinks about things and retakes her LSAT. So thank you so much! If you guys weren't handing me the ammo, I don't think I'd have been able to save her life from soul-crushing mediocrity! I had her read all of your comments and I guess that planted the seed.

Today however, was her first day of an internship at a local law firm. She figured she'd stay busy and get a taste of what real law was, and after one day she's already questioning it. It's an unpaid internship, 40 hours a week, and she was hired along with two other interns. One is a girl who's already done one year of law school, and the other is a JD that graduated from SD a year ago who's been out of work since then. It's been a good exposure for her, now she can see what her prospects are. She's considering telling legal work to got gently caress itself altogether. Now we just gotta figure out what the gently caress she's going to do with her rhetoric/media studies degrees from Berk. :pseudo: Sexcess!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hard to believe, but they are rather selective. My roommate worked there and they loved her, so that helped. Plus, you can't just hand over your application and wait. You have to find out when they're holding open interviews--usually during the afternoons--and physically go in and speak with someone. But yea, don't tell them about your law degree. Me being in law school made them dubious about me.

If you were joking about this, I'm going to feel really, really stupid.

Thanks for answering my question about JAG, guys. Knowing how competitive it is makes it look even more interesting (I'm one of those people who loves challenges), even though it's actually a long shot for me. Please don't take offense, as this assumption was born out of ignorance and not condescension, but I was wondering if maybe they were desperate. Clearly I was wrong about that.

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

Alaemon posted:

They also sued Game Genie! I was like "How will I make Mario jump over the flagpole now?"
Endlessly running through Level 1-1 with no end in sight is a good metaphor for my job hunt.

Wish I'd read this thread before settling for a TTT. :(

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

deathdrive83 posted:

Endlessly running through Level 1-1 with no end in sight is a good metaphor for my job hunt.

Wish I'd read this thread before settling for a TTT. :(

As a fellow TTT-grad, let me assure you that this is not the case.

The correct metaphor lies with the Minus World. We are endlessly repeating 2-2 while the clock counts down no matter how many times we complete the level. There's a moment of respite when the timer strikes zero and Mario dies, only to be reborn at the beginning of 2-2 once more. Our only release is the sweet embrace of the Game Over.

Thank you, Mario. But your living wage is in another castle.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Warp posted:

Mission Accomplished:patriot:

Hey brodles, a few pages back you guys were helping me with my girlfriend. Well, I figured it's only fair to congratulate you on a flawless victory. With your help, I managed to get her to put law school on hold for a year while she thinks about things and retakes her LSAT. So thank you so much! If you guys weren't handing me the ammo, I don't think I'd have been able to save her life from soul-crushing mediocrity! I had her read all of your comments and I guess that planted the seed.

Today however, was her first day of an internship at a local law firm. She figured she'd stay busy and get a taste of what real law was, and after one day she's already questioning it. It's an unpaid internship, 40 hours a week, and she was hired along with two other interns. One is a girl who's already done one year of law school, and the other is a JD that graduated from SD a year ago who's been out of work since then. It's been a good exposure for her, now she can see what her prospects are. She's considering telling legal work to got gently caress itself altogether. Now we just gotta figure out what the gently caress she's going to do with her rhetoric/media studies degrees from Berk. :pseudo: Sexcess!

What was her LSAT/GPA again?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Alaemon posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-2-pop-fiction/100619

i guess legitimately jumping over the flagpole is like getting deferred till 2012 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Ask me about taking dumps with my girlfriend! And why I'm too poor to change my avatar back!

Incredulous Red posted:

What was her LSAT/GPA again?

Her GPA was a 3.6, her LSAT was, well, she won't tell me. Heh.