Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

these, they own.

Also, I reshot my Chinork and played a bit with the levels so the details are a bit more visible.

I'm not looking forward to making rivets for this thing.

Combaticus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Combaticus posted:

these, they own.

Also, I reshot my Chinork and played a bit with the levels so the details are a bit more visible.

I'm not looking forward to making rivets for this thing.

While your work looks great, I just don't like the concept of the Chinork. Make no mistake I'm doing one myself, but I'm basing it on a Huey helicopter rather than a flying plank.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Indolent Bastard posted:

While your work looks great, I just don't like the concept of the Chinork. Make no mistake I'm doing one myself, but I'm basing it on a Huey helicopter rather than a flying plank.

Yeah same here, I don't really like the design of forgeworlds chinork, but I love the idea. And I think the chinook itself looks a bit too clunky, so I'm going for more of a Black Hawk look, so … Black hork?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Finally got this water effects stuff to work out

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
What'd you use for the water effects? I'm looking to do the same thing to some ruins I painted up.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Woodland scenics EZ water, the kind you melt

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I'll have to try it, I bought the wrong kind at hobby town, that you squeeze outta the bottle then shape it how you want and it dries semi-clear in a day. I could find a use for it, but it's not what I wanted :(

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I bought that too, it sits on my desk mostly unused. Its not bad for really shallow areas, but its not really that clear and you cant get it to lay smooth at all

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Wow. That's a sick Dread PV.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Zarkov builds pretty models, pays me lots of money to make em purty :clint:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Ashcans posted:

Someone in this thread mentioned using those sonic jewelry cleaners to strip miniatures, but I can't remember who it was or if it was really this thread so finding the posts has been a pain. Anyone remember what I am talking about?

It was me (and RJS). I'm (and him are) that guy. Like what Enri said, there's a lot of different ones. Pretty sure a good one can fit a jetbike or three, possibly a vyper. Got the idea from AwesomePaintJob.com for cleaning airbrushes, figured it would work on models too. As for the cleaning agent, just use whatever you were using before: the magic fingers of the sonic bath will scrub them all down for you.

PaintVagrant posted:

Woodland scenics EZ water, the kind you melt

Did you dye it? Or is it just clear water effects atop of a painted base?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I used clump foliage glued to the bottom, then dripped some devlan mud on it to darken it a bit. Then poured the clear stuff on top

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PaintVagrant posted:

Zarkov builds pretty models, pays me lots of money to make em purty :clint:

Not that Zarkov would do it, but how annoyed would you be if somebody won awards for your paint job that they commissioned?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If it was for best army at a tourney Id be fine with it, if it was a painting comp and they said they painted it I would bust them.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PaintVagrant posted:

I used clump foliage glued to the bottom, then dripped some devlan mud on it to darken it a bit. Then poured the clear stuff on top

I'm stealing this. Stealing it right now!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

NecronSchmecron posted:

I'm stealing this. Stealing it right now!

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah I bought that too, it sits on my desk mostly unused. Its not bad for really shallow areas, but its not really that clear and you cant get it to lay smooth at all

It's useful for sculpting waves or ripples onto larger masses of water effects. I did that for the water on the base of my may oath, but it's much too reflective to show up properly in photos. Either that or too transparent.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Khadhul posted:

It's useful for sculpting waves or ripples onto larger masses of water effects. I did that for the water on the base of my may oath, but it's much too reflective to show up properly in photos. Either that or too transparent.

I don't feel like digging through the oath thread, can you repost it?

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
Here is the relevant photo in stupid high resolution.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Gross

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Khadhul posted:

Here is the relevant photo in stupid high resolution.

Goddamn, dude. I gotta play around with this stuff.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
As a side note about water effects, I noticed when I was making the blood in the water there that atleast with the water effects I used (vallejo still water), it is very easy to discolour parts of the water effects just by stabbing the paint down into the water effects and dragging it around into roughly how you want it with your brush. The paint will naturally suffuse into the water effects, making a cloudy coloured portion.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Anyone got any good tutorials on how to do marbled stone effects?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I read a GW masterclass article on painting Chakax, I think that has a tutorial for marble. It's on the website in the painting articles.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Fyrbrand posted:

I read a GW masterclass article on painting Chakax, I think that has a tutorial for marble. It's on the website in the painting articles.

Because GW is a bitch to find stuff on (:argh: search engine), here's the relevant details:

quote:

2) Star-Stone Mace. Keith wanted the Star-Stone Mace to look like an untypical weapon, so he painted it with an impressive marbled effect. To do this he started with a basecoat of Scorched Brown mixed 50/50 with Codex Grey. Into this he mixed Bleached Bone for the next layer, adding a little more Bleached Bone into each successive stage. The veins on the marble were painted with Adeptus Battlegrey, and then glazed over with a couple of watery layers of Bleached Bone to blend the veins back into the marble. Lastly Keith gave the Star-Stone Mace some more glazes using watered-down washes, one of Thraka Green and Leviathan Purple, concentrating on the recesses.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
:siren: Attention Combaticus.

Did you make the plate with bolts on top of your chinork rotor? Because if you did, it looks amazing.

Now please make a scratchbuilt chain out of 600 tiny pieces of card. You know you want to...

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MaliciousOnion posted:

Because GW is a bitch to find stuff on (:argh: search engine), here's the relevant details:

That's it, thanks. Would've found it myself but I'm stuck on my phone for internet.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks guys. :respek:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sole.Sushi posted:

It was me (and RJS). I'm (and him are) that guy. Like what Enri said, there's a lot of different ones. Pretty sure a good one can fit a jetbike or three, possibly a vyper. Got the idea from AwesomePaintJob.com for cleaning airbrushes, figured it would work on models too. As for the cleaning agent, just use whatever you were using before: the magic fingers of the sonic bath will scrub them all down for you.

Thanks! I found Rapey-Joe's post about it, but unfortunately the one he used is pretty pricey and also in the UK. Any recommendations for what to get? There are a bunch of these things on Amazon, etc, but I am kind of skeptical of a $20 cleaner. I guess that it won't save me on the simple green budget, but it would still be nice not to spend my hour of miniature time every night (if I'm lucky enough to get it) scrubbing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You know your undercoat has no tooth when drybrushing takes the top layer of paint off...

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PaintVagrant posted:

Finally got this water effects stuff to work out

I love how the water effect actually looks like it's lapping up against the guardsman's arm in the third shot

poo poo's hot son

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Ashcans posted:

Thanks! I found Rapey-Joe's post about it, but unfortunately the one he used is pretty pricey and also in the UK. Any recommendations for what to get? There are a bunch of these things on Amazon, etc, but I am kind of skeptical of a $20 cleaner. I guess that it won't save me on the simple green budget, but it would still be nice not to spend my hour of miniature time every night (if I'm lucky enough to get it) scrubbing.

My father was a dentist and when he retired I inherited his. I dont know about one that cheap, but mine has really cut into my SG budget simply because I can use one bottle for a LONG time. Much longer than when I cleaned by hand.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

sicarius posted:

My father was a dentist and when he retired I inherited his. I dont know about one that cheap, but mine has really cut into my SG budget simply because I can use one bottle for a LONG time. Much longer than when I cleaned by hand.

This. Exactly this. Any one of them will do, honestly: the vibrations will pull crap and paint out of even the deepest recesses.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ashcans posted:

The important thing is the frequency they run at. Cheap lovely ones run at like 5khz, you need it to run at 10khz min.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PaintVagrant posted:

Stealing this, since it's pretty much what I do for my bases anyway. Never thought of using it for the base level of a water feature though.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Tentacle Party posted:

:siren: Attention Combaticus.

Did you make the plate with bolts on top of your chinork rotor? Because if you did, it looks amazing.

Now please make a scratchbuilt chain out of 600 tiny pieces of card. You know you want to...

The plate on top? Yep, or do you mean the grey bit under the rotor? That's a part of the turret from the trukk kit.

As for the chain? Hells nawww! I'd either fiddle too much with each link, or get distracted between cutting every single one and veg out and watch tv. Plus my hands are covered up in more than enough superglue already. Gluing that chain together would be hell.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Combaticus posted:

The plate on top? Yep, or do you mean the grey bit under the rotor? That's a part of the turret from the trukk kit.

As for the chain? Hells nawww! I'd either fiddle too much with each link, or get distracted between cutting every single one and veg out and watch tv. Plus my hands are covered up in more than enough superglue already. Gluing that chain together would be hell.

Yeah the bit that looks like a sprocket bolted to the top, it looks like a bitz not scratchbuilt!

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Since I finally got around to uploading the photos from my camera I thought I'd post up a review of the first 54mm miniature I bought.

The model is Pegaso's XII-XIII Century Holy Land Knight. It's sculpted by Gianni La Rocca, is white metal and comes in 12 pieces. It cost me $50 australian and imo it's worth every cent.

It comes in a neat little hardcover box like so:

When you open the box everything is nice and secure in foam padding, when I took the photo I left out the little fiddly bits and the sheet of paper you get giving you the Knights history, as well as different ways in which to paint him. Whoops

When assembling the model the thing I was most impressed with was the ease in which he fit together, there was minimal gap filling or filing needed. I pinned him in all of the joints but even when just dry fitting the parts would stick together due to how well the sockets fit. There were also very minimal mold lines, so for those of you that hate preparing models that's a big plus :)

Here he is mostly assembled standing next to a chaos terminator. The base comes with the miniature

All in all it's a really nice model and if all Pegaso miniatures are as high a quality I would recommend them to anyone interested in giving 54mm or above a shot. I was impressed enough that I ordered this guy to have a stab at once I finish the knight.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Tentacle Party posted:

Yeah the bit that looks like a sprocket bolted to the top, it looks like a bitz not scratchbuilt!

Oh that bit, that's just me nicking the sides of a circle of plasticard, to hide the fact that I cut it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cakefool posted:

The important thing is the frequency they run at. Cheap lovely ones run at like 5khz, you need it to run at 10khz min.

Unfortunately I can't find this mentioned on the majority of them, not even on manufacturers sites. I guess I'll probably trust Sole Sushi and get one from somewhere with a warranty so that if it is total poo poo I can at least try to take it back.

• Locked thread