Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
My newest setup, which ties into the pumping discussion:

Redrilled the rear to back the truck up to have a 23.5" wheelbase, and with the Otang Stimulus wheels its got enough grip to pump, but I can slide it if I need to stop or slow down. Such a fun setup. The only issue with it is that no matter how much I ride the (modified) Bennett, I can't get used to it and enjoy it that much. I really want to get a Radikal front, but $175 is way too much for one truck right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Mincher posted:

Don't do it! What's causing you the most grief with ollies? Is it the pop, slide or landing? Are you doing them stationary or moving?

Some pointers, based on things that I had to train myself not to do:

- Stay square and over the board, don't lean back too much so you can see your feet. This is just never going to work out.

- When you pop, do it from the ankle not the knee or whole leg. Use your legs to get you height and your foot to pop the board. When you jump, jump a little in the direction you are rolling. This will help you stay over the board.

- The slide. For ages, I didn't roll my foot as I slid it up and wondered why the hell it felt like I was spamming the board. Roll that foot as you slide! Aim to connect with the nose.

- When you ollie don't forget how important your arms and shoulders are. When I was starting out, I was all action in the legs but my torso was just kind of chilling out. When I learned to use my arms for balance in the air, everything stabilised. I recommend having your lead arm and sliding foot working in tandem, so as you start to slide, throw your arm straight out in the direction you're going. The same goes for your trailing arm. Mirror your feet.

- The landing. If you stay square and balanced while in the air and get the slide of your foot down, the tail will come up and slap your back foot. Once that happens, you're in good shape for landing. The only other advice is bend your knees on impact.

Also, stay calm and don't go for monster ollies. Get the motion down, landing tiny ollies then start to step it up. The further back your leading foot is the more height you will get (assuming you jump high enough).

If you watch any videos for pointers on tricks, look at how the skater moves all their limbs and torso, not just their feet. Especially on tricks that involve rotation.

Hope all this helps and PLEASE don't give up. :)

Edit: Oh and don't hang around just practising on flat for ages. Take it to a small curb as soon as you feel ready and keep trying to get up until you get consistent. This will improve your timing massively.

Honestly I've tried stationary a few times and I was millimeters from breaking every bone from my fingertips to my shoulders. The board just flies out from under me when I try to pop.

When I try to ollie on a grassy surface I do the motion alright but I'm kind of nervous about trying a rolling ollie.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

RobotEmpire posted:

Honestly I've tried stationary a few times and I was millimeters from breaking every bone from my fingertips to my shoulders. The board just flies out from under me when I try to pop.

When I try to ollie on a grassy surface I do the motion alright but I'm kind of nervous about trying a rolling ollie.

I'd be more nervous about doing an ollie standing still because of what you've already experienced: with no forward momentum the board is just going to skate backwards when you try to kick it.

Just roll a little bit. You don't have to be flying real fast, you just need some forward motion.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'd be more nervous about doing an ollie standing still because of what you've already experienced: with no forward momentum the board is just going to skate backwards when you try to kick it.

Just roll a little bit. You don't have to be flying real fast, you just need some forward motion.

You're right. Me being this retarded about physics is extra ironic because I Just taught my daughter to ride a bicycle yesterday. I had to repeatedly assure her that the faster she went the easier it would be to balance.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Don't give up Robot. You'll get more comfortable on the small board with time.

Enjoy yourself, tricks are just the icing on our ridiculously sweet cake.

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.

RobotEmpire posted:

If you're slipping out, remember this: never let your center of balance go outside the bolts of your trucks. If you can do that you'll never slip out again, but that's easier said than done I know. Unfortunately you're going to have to be able to do that through feel since it's way more difficult to do an ollie if you're staring at your board the whole time.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I agree with previous posters that it's best to learn while rolling forward but I think sometimes it is easy to forget how challenging learning the movements of the ollie can be. Learning how it works while rolling might be a tall order at first...

If you are just trying to learn how to pop the ollie it might not be a bad idea to do it on grass or carpet so as to minimize the board shooting out. But once you get it popping you need to get on the concrete ASAP.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I agree with previous posters that it's best to learn while rolling forward but I think sometimes it is easy to forget how challenging learning the movements of the ollie can be. Learning how it works while rolling might be a tall order at first...

If you are just trying to learn how to pop the ollie it might not be a bad idea to do it on grass or carpet so as to minimize the board shooting out. But once you get it popping you need to get on the concrete ASAP.

Yeah I try mostly on grass just to get the motion but without someone to watch and critique it's kind of hard to troubleshoot my technique. I'm gonna keep the short deck but it'll be a weekend thing. Longboard gets a daily workout.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ollies are, like everything in skating, muscle memory. It'll just take you a month of solid skating until you can do them with any sort of competence and maybe five more months until you're able to rely on them to get you up and over things with any sort of regularity. Keep skating.

I'm building a second deck so I can have an extra around when friends visit without a deck. Nothing sucks worse than having to share a loving skateboard.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

RobotEmpire posted:

Yeah I try mostly on grass just to get the motion but without someone to watch and critique it's kind of hard to troubleshoot my technique. I'm gonna keep the short deck but it'll be a weekend thing. Longboard gets a daily workout.

This guy has a youtube channel dedicated to teaching you skate tricks. He's not the most radical aggro dude but he seems to have the most thorough and detailed explanation of tons tricks in one place.

How to ollie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4

You might start trying to mess with shuv-its too: http://www.youtube.com/user/aronl#p/a/776569A68D8B5A43/1/DnCJStZaO8Q

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/aronl#p/a

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 2, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Wow, the bouncing the tail off the ground thing I just got from that dude's video is pretty illuminating actually.

Also, Bucket, I feel pretty loving pro for having two skateboards.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

Also, Bucket, I feel pretty loving pro for having two skateboards.

I have two sets of trucks and four sets of wheels that I don't use anymore just sitting in my closet :whatup:

I would give out all that stuff for free but no one ever asks and all my friends have their own setups.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of ollie's, my friend took this photo of me last weekend. Hope you stick with it RobotEmpire!

Click here for the full 1019x676 image.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Sweet Photo!

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'm just going to buy a Flip and put it on a gorilla pod. When you're skating by yourself you can just set up a camera at a spot and skate without bothering it. Then you cut down the footage later and look at what looked good and what looked Totally Whack.

I actually have a Flip and a little tripod. Thanks to you I set it up to record my self on my new little quarter in my driveway. Upon viewing the footage I've learned I need to stop skating it like a pussy and start skating it like a man who knows what he is doing. So thanks for the advice. It's all about style.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Sirkus posted:

Speaking of ollie's, my friend took this photo of me last weekend. Hope you stick with it RobotEmpire!

Aw yeah!
That's some beautiful smooth road you got there, most of the streets round here are like the surface of the moon.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
Since I'm rapidly running out of snow, I thought I'd give skateboarding another chance.

How is this poo poo this hard? Seriously. I went to my local park for like 30 seconds today (it's really nice: http://www.denverskatepark.com/edwards.html) and it was unbelievably humbling.

A few weeks ago I was spinning on to handrails and hucking myself over 40" jumps, and now I can barely ollie - and sure as poo poo can't ride those pools.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Obscuritatem posted:

Aw yeah!
That's some beautiful smooth road you got there, most of the streets round here are like the surface of the moon.

I wish roads were that smooth everywhere in québec :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Marginal Way is going to be so sick when this poo poo is done. Hello summer.

Also, this new mural is loving Bad rear end:

SKATING

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Horizontal Tree posted:

My newest setup, which ties into the pumping discussion:

Redrilled the rear to back the truck up to have a 23.5" wheelbase, and with the Otang Stimulus wheels its got enough grip to pump, but I can slide it if I need to stop or slow down. Such a fun setup. The only issue with it is that no matter how much I ride the (modified) Bennett, I can't get used to it and enjoy it that much. I really want to get a Radikal front, but $175 is way too much for one truck right now.

What's the matter with the Bennett? My two complaints would be that a) the kingping nut is too close to the ground and b) that truck EATS bushings! My (magnificent) Sabres start to show cracks after one month of usage!

Also, what kind of board is that? Custom Pulse?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Was down in Venice yesterday so I made this pano with my phone.

Click here for the full 1024x191 image.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This guy has a youtube channel dedicated to teaching you skate tricks. He's not the most radical aggro dude but he seems to have the most thorough and detailed explanation of tons tricks in one place.

How to ollie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4

Man, I don't know why I didn't watch his video on ollies. I've watched pretty much all of his advanced trick videos and sat there shaking my head. Snapping the tail down and making the board bounce is loving eye opening; it explains why the few ollies I've popped decently well and rolled from have felt like complete flukes and why I spend so much time barely leaving the ground. Thanks for this.

Snap Your Fingers posted:

Seriously. I went to my local park for like 30 seconds today (it's really nice: http://www.denverskatepark.com/edwards.html) and it was unbelievably humbling.
Oh my god that looks like a fun as poo poo park to skate around in. I love bowls that have a pussy rail-less rollin because I can do that just fine.

Today I intentionally did a manual without falling over for about a meter. It was my first ever. How the poo poo do people ollie or flip into these, poo poo is crazy :psyduck:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whalley posted:

Today I intentionally did a manual without falling over for about a meter. It was my first ever. How the poo poo do people ollie or flip into these, poo poo is crazy :psyduck:

Good way to practice being able to ollie into a manual is to just run up, jump on your deck and land doing a manual. That's how I learned ollie > nose manuals.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Bucket Joneses posted:

Marginal Way is going to be so sick when this poo poo is done. Hello summer.

Also, this new mural is loving Bad rear end:

SKATING
I really need to be able to at least navigate around this park by the end of summer... I loving love Seattle for poo poo like this.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

maxmars posted:

What's the matter with the Bennett? My two complaints would be that a) the kingping nut is too close to the ground and b) that truck EATS bushings! My (magnificent) Sabres start to show cracks after one month of usage!

The deck is a Fullbag Louis Ricard slalom pro model, with the rear truck redrilled all the way to the tail. I don't like the feel of the Bennett, its got a little too much dive and the response isn't as "direct" as I'd like (like with a reverse-kingpin truck)
I've got a single Sabre bushing in that picture, just stuck in an 88a barrel to tighten the rear a bit from the 81a Venom Eliminators I had in there before.
Such a fun setup, for anything but sliding

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Sirkus posted:

Click here for the full 1019x676 image.

This photo rocks, threw it into my wallpaper rotation.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

maxmars posted:

Is it chewing it up from the inside out? I believe there's a little trick involving putting a plastic tube of sorts around the kingpin, if you're having the problem I think you are

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Where's a good reliable cheap online place to get a decent pair of skate shoes? I'm burning through my stock of adidas pretty quickly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RobotEmpire posted:

Where's a good reliable cheap online place to get a decent pair of skate shoes? I'm burning through my stock of adidas pretty quickly.

Nordstrom Rack has cheap skate shoes all the time. It's a gold mine of 30 dollar shoes.

Edit: OH ONLINE! I dunno, maybe zappos?

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
Pretty good prices here: http://www.6pm.com/search/shoes/fil...goLiveDate/desc

In other news, I got an Earthwing Superglider today after only having a GFH mini with me at school. Went on a skate around the neighborhood and it felt really good. I used to longboard a lot in highschool and am just picking it up again after four years. I'm so glad I'm back... I love the way skating makes me feel.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

DELETED posted:

Is it chewing it up from the inside out? I believe there's a little trick involving putting a plastic tube of sorts around the kingpin, if you're having the problem I think you are

Right on the money. The bushing is cracking on the inside.
..Interesting.. Will have to do some tests w/ plastic tubes.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Horizontal Tree posted:

The deck is a Fullbag Louis Ricard slalom pro model, with the rear truck redrilled all the way to the tail. I don't like the feel of the Bennett, its got a little too much dive and the response isn't as "direct" as I'd like (like with a reverse-kingpin truck)
I've got a single Sabre bushing in that picture, just stuck in an 88a barrel to tighten the rear a bit from the 81a Venom Eliminators I had in there before.
Such a fun setup, for anything but sliding

I was thinking of trying out a Seismic instead of the Bennett in order to avoid the stuck kingpin issue, but it would probably be even less "direct" (mushier?) than the Bennett itself.

What would a good replacement be for the front truck? something very very turny I mean.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

maxmars posted:

I was thinking of trying out a Seismic instead of the Bennett in order to avoid the stuck kingpin issue, but it would probably be even less "direct" (mushier?) than the Bennett itself.

What would a good replacement be for the front truck? something very very turny I mean.

Seismic have never looked very appealing to me, and from what I know they're more often used as rear trucks.
I want to replace my Bennett with a Radikal Dragons Claw, but I can't afford one, they're $175 before shipping and bushings

Reverse-kingpin geometry front should fit my style a bit better than the standard-geo Bennett does, and Radikals are pretty much the cheapest reverse-geo slalom fronts, yet one of the best.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Eh they're expensive.. I'd need at least to try them out first. Too bad I don't know anyone with a board equipped with them.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Rode like 5 miles on my longboard yesterday, very relaxing, lots of fun, lots of long smooth stretches of fresh blacktop to carve. But holy gently caress my left heel hurts from pumping so hard for so long. Time to buy new shoes. I know there are a lot of varying opinions on what shoes you can get, but are there any brands to just outright avoid?

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 4, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Really tempted to start skating again. I won a limited edition skate 3 deck and think it'd be pretty funny to stick trucks and poo poo on it, grip it up, then go out and trash it. They only made 5 of them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

Rode like 5 miles on my longboard yesterday, very relaxing, lots of fun, lots of long smooth stretches of fresh blacktop to carve. But holy gently caress my left heel hurts from pumping so hard for so long. Time to buy new shoes. I know there are a lot of varying opinions on what shoes you can get, but are there any brands to just outright avoid?

I can tell you right off to avoid flip flops :v:

I went for a ride testing my new setup for pumping and it was not good while wearing flip flops. However, once I get a Kahuna Big Stick I can ride barefoot for miles if I want :)

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
DUDE! What part of Marginal is that park being built?!?!?! How did I not know about this?

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
It's along the waterfront just at the end of the viaduct. Near the part that rises leading toward the exit onto the West Seattle Bridge.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

RobotEmpire posted:

I would avoid most things canvas, it tears really quickly.

Right now I really like the DC's PJ S-LX, Nike 6.0 Mavrk Mid 2's and the Adidas Busenitz Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...p=12,55.13,,0,5

Right there underneath the freeway. It's the only place you can skate when it's raining that doesn't cost money.