Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RobotEmpire posted:

Rode like 5 miles on my longboard yesterday, very relaxing, lots of fun, lots of long smooth stretches of fresh blacktop to carve. But holy gently caress my left heel hurts from pumping so hard for so long. Time to buy new shoes. I know there are a lot of varying opinions on what shoes you can get, but are there any brands to just outright avoid?

I'm riding with some nike 6.0s right now and they are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I'm riding with some nike 6.0s right now and they are fantastic.

suede? I'm eyeballing these: http://shop.ccs.com/product/model:119229/sku:61-28121/?cm=shoes.guys.skate_shoes&supercat=Shoes

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah there is some suede on them but mine are an eyesore of bright oranges and blues with a black stripe on them. I can't seem to find the specific pair (I must have old ones?) but it's like a baskin robbins threw up on my shoes.

Anyhoo, the sole kicks rear end on those shoes and apparently I have nike's foot shape because they fit me like a dream.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

RobotEmpire posted:

Rode like 5 miles on my longboard yesterday, very relaxing, lots of fun, lots of long smooth stretches of fresh blacktop to carve. But holy gently caress my left heel hurts from pumping so hard for so long. Time to buy new shoes. I know there are a lot of varying opinions on what shoes you can get, but are there any brands to just outright avoid?
I have a couple pairs of board flip ice creams that are as important to me as a drat skateboard when it comes to riding. They're like glue on the board and they're so incredibly padded and soft and you can pick up a drat pair on eBay for cheap as hell. They're a really comfortable shoe to skate in. If you can handle the way they look.

The other pair I've got is black, grey and pink and looks much less cartoony.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

I have a couple pairs of board flip ice creams that are as important to me as a drat skateboard when it comes to riding. They're like glue on the board and they're so incredibly padded and soft and you can pick up a drat pair on eBay for cheap as hell. They're a really comfortable shoe to skate in. If you can handle the way they look.

The other pair I've got is black, grey and pink and looks much less cartoony.

Thanks. I bought them nike 6.0s though! Hope they work out.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I've decided to buy my first board. I want to get a longboard, because I understand it's better just for cruising around etc, but as a total beginner I know nothing about what to look for. My budget is around £50-70ish. At the moment I am looking at these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Extreme-E...=item20b1510478

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mindless-Camp...=item3ca749a813

I think I want the second one more, because for some reason I have it in my head that the shape will be easier for me to skate on (and certainly easier to transport). I went into a skate shop and I'm pretty sure a board like the second one is what a guy showed me, and compared to the monster surfboard-shaped longboard hung above it looked relatively accessible. However, the second board IS £30 more expensive than the first. I'm OK with paying the difference if my gut instinct here is right, but my guts don't know anything about skating.

Can anyone help me out?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Honestly, never heard of them. Quality will be a gamble, to me it's worth it to find something with a better reputation in all honesty. I don't want to be a downer, I just want to make sure you don't get burned and end up with something that isn't fun to ride. The deck might be decent quality but the trucks, wheels and bearings look shoddy at best. For cruising around you're going to want something with some flex, as well. It will absorb bumps a lot better (I have skated ~12 miles before on a thick Canadian Maple deck with no flex. Bone jarring.) and give a smooth, cushy ride. Also, the wheels will make a huge difference. The difference between a cheap set of $15-20 wheels and a set of higher end wheels that go for $30-50 is night and day. They will be faster, they will grip/slide better, they will roll longer, etc. Also, as far as I know, a lot of skate gear is more expensive where you are simply because a lot of it has to be imported. Don't get discouraged by cost, and keep an eye out for used gear too. Check out https://www.silverfishlongboarding.com there is a wealth of information and a classified section. You might be able to score a deal on some gear there, or find some local skaters who would probably be more than willing to help someone get started with some tips or trying out different setups, etc. You'll find most of the longboarding community is pretty nice, I've run into total strangers and had a blast bombing hills with them before.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 6, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I got one of those "monster surfboard-shaped longboards" that I do several miles on a few times a week. Here's what I recommend:

Don't get a 'pumper,' one of those little decks with big wheels. As a newb it helped me to have a more forgiving, longer deck. It is a little stable and there's a little more wiggle room on foot placement with a bigger board.

Get a concave deck. I have a flat deck (Sector 9 Gremmie 36") and honestly it's murder on my feet. When I ride my normal skateboard that is a little concave, it's so much easier. Plus it's taken several long rides to break my board in to the point where it has some good flex. Make sure to get big, soft wheels so the little rocks in the ground (I call them teethbreakers) don't stop your board cold and send you flying.

When you are testing your candidate board make sure it flexes when you stand on it, it is a little concave (as if someone folded it a little bit along the nose-to-tail axis), and has like 75mm/80a wheels.

If you are planning on traveling long distances (2-10 miles) on your board like I do, invest in some skate shoes. Again, pumping hard and fast for a long way, plus foot braking, is murder on my feet, personally. I'm hoping the Nike 6.0s I just ordered help me out.

All in all I'd say besides paying off my car buying my longboard has been the best transportation investment I've made in a long time. Plus it's got great entertainment value. Also, ladies seem to me intrigued by it. All my friends think I'm getting paid for endorsing longboarding so much because I won't shut the gently caress up about my latest ride. They got some smug satisfaction when I told them about how I busted my rear end hard a couple times today, including flinging myself out onto El Camino Real in Sunnyvale in front of oncoming traffic. Not only did I shred a couple layers of skin on my hands, I got the bonus of almost getting hit by a car.

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 6, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thank you two for the tips! So I guess I'm gonna have to go and find a skate shop with a list of demands.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You should see if KrackedSkulls would ship to the UK, it would be worth a shot. Send Will an email, I don't see why he wouldn't do it.

http://krackedskulls.com/?pg=kshome

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 6, 2010

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Irn--Bru posted:

Really tempted to start skating again. I won a limited edition skate 3 deck and think it'd be pretty funny to stick trucks and poo poo on it, grip it up, then go out and trash it. They only made 5 of them.

DO IT!

I don't know anything about longboarding Popcorn, but since you're in the UK Rollersnakes sell Speed Demons completes for £70 - could be worth considering.
http://www.rollersnakes.co.uk/product.php?productid=80289

Speed Demon is actually a World Industries brand, so the quality is likely to be decent.

E: There's an Almost setup on there with Tensors for £50 that seems like a bargain too: http://www.rollersnakes.co.uk/product.php?productid=77421&cat=6427&page=1&Almost%20Rad%20Wolf%20Cruiser%20Complete%20Build%20Resin-8

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 6, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Obscuritatem posted:

DO IT!

I don't know anything about longboarding Popcorn, but since you're in the UK Rollersnakes sell Speed Demons completes for £70 - could be worth considering.
http://www.rollersnakes.co.uk/product.php?productid=80289

Speed Demon is actually a World Industries brand, so the quality is likely to be decent.

Anyone else want to comment on this? I know NOTHING about boards, I just know I want a longboard I can learn to cruise casually around on. No tricks, nothing special. Does this look like it'd have the soft wheels, flex etc? If not is there anything else on this site that does?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Anyone else want to comment on this? I know NOTHING about boards, I just know I want a longboard I can learn to cruise casually around on. No tricks, nothing special. Does this look like it'd have the soft wheels, flex etc? If not is there anything else on this site that does?

This is the exact form factor that I use. It's pretty narrow. If I had it to do over again I'd get something wider and concave.

Go here and click on "Bullet"... that's the kind of thing I'd get if I had it to do over again.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

leica posted:

You should see if KrackedSkulls would ship to the UK, it would be worth a shot. Send Will an email, I don't see why he wouldn't do it.

http://krackedskulls.com/?pg=kshome

I checked it out and he does ship to the UK, but it will cost US$55 to ship so you're looking at around £140 to get your feet on one of those in the UK. Are you willing to save up a little more? It's steep but relatively cheap compared to other 'known' entry-level boards (IE: Sector 9). The Speed Demon deck might be decent quality but it will likely be Canadian Maple with little flex. If you do get it I would suggest upgrading wheels at some point (it can be a pricy upgrade but wheels make all the difference in the world on a cruiser), but for a beginner it might be a pretty sweet setup. Like I said though, if you can save up for a KS, it will be one of the best investments you can make regarding a complete longboard. I'm a little wary of the Speed Demon since it doesn't go into specifics about components such as wheel durometer (hardness), truck width, etc. The Speed Demon might be a good beginner board but I've never had experience with them or known anyone who did, so it's a gamble.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/apr/21/cover/

I read this and I never want to get on a skateboard without a helmet again. God, what a powerful and depressing story.

Why the hell is it there's this whole idea that you're less of a person if you wear a helmet, despite how many other things we get suited up for? Ice hockey, playing football, loving riding bikes, everyone gets all decked out in safety gear and yet someone on a skateboard wearing a helmet instantly gets mocked? gently caress, I do it too, I have a kneejerk reaction whenever I see the things.

I made an effort today when I saw a kid riding his longboard with a helmet downtown to high five him when he stopped at a light. Christ, how the gently caress am I going to pack a helmet when I move to the states?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

I read this and I never want to get on a skateboard without a helmet again. God, what a powerful and depressing story.

Why the hell is it there's this whole idea that you're less of a person if you wear a helmet, despite how many other things we get suited up for? Ice hockey, playing football, loving riding bikes, everyone gets all decked out in safety gear and yet someone on a skateboard wearing a helmet instantly gets mocked? gently caress, I do it too, I have a kneejerk reaction whenever I see the things.

I made an effort today when I saw a kid riding his longboard with a helmet downtown to high five him when he stopped at a light. Christ, how the gently caress am I going to pack a helmet when I move to the states?

This story was posted on reddit a few weeks ago. After I read it I started wearing my helmet 100% of the time. Who gives a poo poo about getting mocked? It has saved me from a couple of bumps to the head already.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I read that story all prepared to get weepy about his terrible accident and then he proceeded to describe the most retarded chain of events ever transpired. Why would you let your dog drag you on a skateboard at full tilt through an area with intersections and other traffic? That is something a moron would do, even if that moron was wearing a helmet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wear a helmet when I skate parks because I go balls out, and being in the vert leads to bails which leads to hitting your head sometimes which I have done, my head has bounced off the coping more than once and almost knocked me out.

That being said, I don't wear a helmet when I ride my longboard on the street or trails because I don't do stupid poo poo like having a dog pull me full speed wobbling through a loving construction site. I know my limitations, and I'm fully aware I'm not wearing a helmet so I don't take unnecessary risks.

I feel bad for the guy, but honestly he pushed the limit, got pushed back and unfortunately wasn't wearing any safety gear. If you're going to be out riding and loving off (being pulled by a dog for instance) then you need to wear a helmet. If you're just out cruising/commuting I really don't see the need.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I fell yesterday and have, among other scrapes and bruises, two large patches of road rash on my face. What if I had landed just a bit differently? I'm going to go buy a helmet tomorrow after work and wear it every time I ride. My college graduation ceremony is Saturday and I spent way too much money on my brain to injure it now.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

I wear a helmet when I skate parks because I go balls out, and being in the vert leads to bails which leads to hitting your head sometimes which I have done, my head has bounced off the coping more than once and almost knocked me out.

That being said, I don't wear a helmet when I ride my longboard on the street or trails because I don't do stupid poo poo like having a dog pull me full speed wobbling through a loving construction site. I know my limitations, and I'm fully aware I'm not wearing a helmet so I don't take unnecessary risks.

I feel bad for the guy, but honestly he pushed the limit, got pushed back and unfortunately wasn't wearing any safety gear. If you're going to be out riding and loving off (being pulled by a dog for instance) then you need to wear a helmet. If you're just out cruising/commuting I really don't see the need.

I definitely do, because all it takes is a split second of looking away to miss an uneven sidewalk... your board stops cold but you don't. I say this as someone to whom this happened twice the other day. Glad I had my helmet on.

It's your decision -- and your brain -- but not wearing a helmet is like not wearing a seatbelt "because I don't do stupid poo poo while I drive." You might not, but the other guy definitely does.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It took me one good bail on a hill that I'm quite familiar with at a relatively low speed to realize just how much energy is stored in a person moving on a skateboard. I bailed around 20 and only got whiplash thanks to my helmet, but it wasn't much different from getting t-boned in a car by a truck going around the same speed. I've experience both and both times spent 3 or 4 days stiff and sore, plus a bruised Adams Apple from the wipeout. I didn't even know you could do that.

Another wipeout story: There was a kid in my town who decided to bomb this really nice hill. By nice, I mean it's a serious 50+mph (GPS verified) run with twists, turns and traffic. I'd love to bomb it but I lack the protective gear which is a set leathers/motorcycle riding gear and a fullface helmet. Well, it turns out this kid thought it would be fun too, except he didn't think he needed any sort of protective gear. I don't know how fast he was going, but he got the wobbles and ate it hard. Luck was on his side and he managed to survive, but spent a lot of time in the hospital and I imagine lots of therapy too. Brain injuries are no joke. Most of the rest of your body is pretty tough and can heal up. Bandages and casts don't do anything for a TBI.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Of course there are times where helmets don't help you at all:

:nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJjMqQithw :nms:

Watch as some kid gets stabbed in the crotch by his splintering board at my old high school! It's not really graphic but it'll probably keep you off your board for a few days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

I definitely do, because all it takes is a split second of looking away to miss an uneven sidewalk... your board stops cold but you don't. I say this as someone to whom this happened twice the other day. Glad I had my helmet on.

It's your decision -- and your brain -- but not wearing a helmet is like not wearing a seatbelt "because I don't do stupid poo poo while I drive." You might not, but the other guy definitely does.

I'm not saying I've never wiped out on my longboard, uneven sidewalks and debris have bit me in the rear end before, I have a nice scar on my forearm to prove it. I've never come even close to landing on my head because I wasn't going fast enough. I just feel at the speeds I ride it's not needed. If I'm having a dog pull me around at dangerous levels of speed I would wear a helmet.

And comparing it to driving is kinda dumb, I don't have to worry about other skateboarders running red lights and crashing into me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mest0r posted:

Watch as some kid gets stabbed in the crotch by his splintering board at my old high school! It's not really graphic but it'll probably keep you off your board for a few days.

That is the loving gnarliest thing in the world. loving christ that would be so loving awful.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

I'm not saying I've never wiped out on my longboard, uneven sidewalks and debris have bit me in the rear end before, I have a nice scar on my forearm to prove it. I've never come even close to landing on my head because I wasn't going fast enough. I just feel at the speeds I ride it's not needed. If I'm having a dog pull me around at dangerous levels of speed I would wear a helmet.

And comparing it to driving is kinda dumb, I don't have to worry about other skateboarders running red lights and crashing into me.

Oh well we must cruise different, I go as fast as I possibly can without wearing myself out. Anyway, sorry you think the comparison is dumb. My point was that a car suddenly pulling out of a driveway or turn off of a street right into you isn't beyond the realm of my imagining. That would also be enough to send you rear end over teakettle right onto your rear end.

Like I said, it's your brain and your life, so do whatever you want. I don't feel at all self-conscious about wearing a helmet, or feel that it diminishes my 'cool factor."

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
I managed to land a few tiny ollies in my driveway last night. :dance:

Jesus loving christ I think my balls just retracted into my stomach.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I watched until I saw what was obviously the kill shot then immediately closed the tab. NO THANKS SIR.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone help me out?

Check out https://www.octanesport.co.uk
UK-based shop for longboards, with a bunch of good "brands"

Whalley posted:

I wear a Bell Drop full-face when skating hills, and sadly don't have a half shell for the rest of the time I'm riding. The way I see it, any time I'll be doing anything but pushing/pumping from Point A to Point B, I want a helmet. I know I can still get hurt cruising around, but hell, I'm on a skateboard so thats obviously a risk I'm willing to take. I keep procrastinating about getting a half shell.
I wear my full-face when snowboarding too, and I've got to say its nice. Its saved my face, jaw, and ears from tree branches before

leica posted:

If you're going to be out riding and loving off (being pulled by a dog for instance) then you need to wear a helmet. If you're just out cruising/commuting I really don't see the need.

I agree with this. Its GOOD to wear a helmet when cruising and commuting, but I prefer not to. I think for Vert, a helmet and pads are a must, though

DELETED posted:

It took me one good bail on a hill that I'm quite familiar with at a relatively low speed to realize just how much energy is stored in a person moving on a skateboard. I bailed around 20 and only got whiplash thanks to my helmet, but it wasn't much different from getting t-boned in a car by a truck going around the same speed. I've experience both and both times spent 3 or 4 days stiff and sore, plus a bruised Adams Apple from the wipeout. I didn't even know you could do that.

Another wipeout story: There was a kid in my town who decided to bomb this really nice hill. By nice, I mean it's a serious 50+mph (GPS verified) run with twists, turns and traffic. I'd love to bomb it but I lack the protective gear which is a set leathers/motorcycle riding gear and a fullface helmet. Well, it turns out this kid thought it would be fun too, except he didn't think he needed any sort of protective gear. I don't know how fast he was going, but he got the wobbles and ate it hard. Luck was on his side and he managed to survive, but spent a lot of time in the hospital and I imagine lots of therapy too. Brain injuries are no joke. Most of the rest of your body is pretty tough and can heal up. Bandages and casts don't do anything for a TBI.

I've thankfully never bailed over about 20mph or so, and never hard. I know a kid who recently got pitched off his board going close to 50mph, when he hit a reflector on the yellow line while pulling back into the right lane. Road rash over half his body, dislocated BOTH shoulders, and trashed his helmet. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he'd probably be dead.

Mest0r posted:

As someone who has had his scrotum torn open... it is a pain so terrible, I'm amazed that kid was standing. I made it about 10 feet before I just couldn't move.

leica posted:

No, but cars are a legitimate threat. Trust me, getting hit by, or hitting, a car is not fun. The two guys I skate with have both been hit by cars, and I've hit a car that pulled out of a driveway in front of me. Thankfully all were low-speed incidents.

RobotEmpire posted:

Oh well we must cruise different, I go as fast as I possibly can without wearing myself out. Anyway, sorry you think the comparison is dumb. My point was that a car suddenly pulling out of a driveway or turn off of a street right into you isn't beyond the realm of my imagining. That would also be enough to send you rear end over teakettle right onto your rear end.

Like I said, it's your brain and your life, so do whatever you want. I don't feel at all self-conscious about wearing a helmet, or feel that it diminishes my 'cool factor."

My idea of cruising is pushing hard and carving/pumping hard. As I already said, cars are a factor. I've had a few people (usually on cell phones) pull out of driveways without looking, run stop signs, or just come dangerously close to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

You were comparing danger in terms of riding a skateboard to driving a car.

quote:

but not wearing a helmet is like not wearing a seatbelt "because I don't do stupid poo poo while I drive."

I wear my seatbelt, but that's because I drive at much faster speeds than riding a skateboard obviously, and I have to worry about other drivers doing stupid poo poo. Driving a car is a hell of a lot more dangerous than riding a skateboard so that comparison was dumb.

Now if you want to argue about the dangers of cars while you are skateboarding that's a different story. Sure the danger is there, but I'm aware of it, and again I don't do stupid poo poo like riding on or across busy streets, and I would like to think I'm aware enough to see a car coming out of a driveway. I know how to footbrake and can stop quickly enough. After all, I'm riding a skateboard and not moving very fast.

That being said, pedestrians are in danger of getting hit by cars everyday and you don't see them wearing helmets.

And it's not about being self conscious, I just don't like wearing a helmet, they aren't the most comfortable thing to wear and when it's hot out it's even worse. It's pointless IMO when I'm just leisurely cruising around at 10mph or less. I'm not a loving clumsy idiot so I don't have to worry about falling on my head.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Oh poo poo my balls!!!! Their bleeding!!

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Horizontal Tree posted:

I've thankfully never bailed over about 20mph or so, and never hard. I know a kid who recently got pitched off his board going close to 50mph, when he hit a reflector on the yellow line while pulling back into the right lane. Road rash over half his body, dislocated BOTH shoulders, and trashed his helmet. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he'd probably be dead.

If you're doing serious downhill you should essentially be wearing the same thing as a smart motorcyclist because are essentially going as fast as a motorcyclist. This includes riding gear or leathers, standard clothing doesn't offer the abrasion resistance you need, and in fact may cause more injury. I went down at about 30, although I had enough time to prepare for it, and it wasn't too bad except for the rugburn I got from my hoody catching on the ground and pulling the sleeve against my forearms.

As for close calls, slide gloves do a good amount of damage to a car. I've nearly been run over by inattentive drivers a number of times, and one time I was fortunate enough to be wearing my gloves. This lady blew through a stop sign to turn left in front of me so we ended up going the same direction as she finished her turn. I reached over and slapped her trunk since I was close enough and didn't have anywhere to go (I was already in the intersection and had the right of way), took a little bit of paint with it. I just assume that no one sees me and stay the hell out of traffic. I've done dumb poo poo like bomb through backed up traffic as school's getting out but mixing it up with cars is a bad idea. My local laws give me the same rights and responsibilities as any other vehicle on the road, but the laws of physics favor the car that weighs 15 times as much as you.

All this talk of bailing reminds me of a concept everyone should know: Target fixation. When you're coming up on a gap or some debris or anything of the sort, focus on where you want to go. Do not focus on the things you are trying to avoid, as hard as it may be. Your body has a tendency to move you towards where you are looking. If you focus on the obstacle instead of the gap, you will tend to move at the obstacle instead of the gap. When you're taking a corner or even carving, use the point-and-shoot method. Start to turn in and look at the point you wish to cross. If you focus on the outside of the corner, most of the time you will swing wide and go offroading.

This video is motorcycles but shows the concept clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6f4BbPGm9Q

The rider on the yellow bike goes down, and the guy behind him focuses on the downed rider instead of following his line. Look where you want to go, not where you don't

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

DELETED posted:

If you're doing serious downhill you should essentially be wearing the same thing as a smart motorcyclist because are essentially going as fast as a motorcyclist. This includes riding gear or leathers, standard clothing doesn't offer the abrasion resistance you need, and in fact may cause more injury. I went down at about 30, although I had enough time to prepare for it, and it wasn't too bad except for the rugburn I got from my hoody catching on the ground and pulling the sleeve against my forearms.

Oh, I know all about this. Its the same as the helmet debate: wear what you're comfortable in. If you don't feel you need leathers, then don't wear them, but know that you're taking a risk. I don't own leathers and don't plan to for a while, since I'm rarely going over 30mph here.
You also need to be realistic, most guys DON'T have leathers unless they're racing or go fast a lot. Even the cheapest stock motorcycle suits, which are extremely low quality, are around $200, and a lot of people just don't have that money. Personally, when I get leathers, I'm getting customs, since the quality is MUCH higher than stock suits, and you can get suits that are actually designed for our sport

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

There's always this weird bizarro turn that this thread takes when the longboarders start getting all revved up.

The idea of wearing custom made riding leathers in order to skateboard bends my mind in ways that do not feel right.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

There's always this weird bizarro turn that this thread takes when the longboarders start getting all revved up.

The idea of wearing custom made riding leathers in order to skateboard bends my mind in ways that do not feel right.

So what you're telling me is that I don't need this custom-fitted gas mask and Spongebob strap-on?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
This is why you want bondage gear for skateboarding. This run tops out around 65mph from what I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vpGDY7Ows

Next time you're riding in a car on the highway, stick your head out the window and look at how fast the ground is moving. I'd want a few millimeters of cow around me, too.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
That is insane. And insanely fun-looking.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That is not something I ever plan to do on a skateboard. It looks pretty fun and those outfits look ridiculous. That one dude's helmet looks like it's from Spaceballs.

I just want to talk about ledges and hips. Mannies and flips. Swishers and kicks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

That is not something I ever plan to do on a skateboard. It looks pretty fun and those outfits look ridiculous. That one dude's helmet looks like it's from Spaceballs.

I just want to talk about ledges and hips. Mannies and flips. Swishers and kicks.

Isn't that what makes skateboarding cool though? There's something for everybody :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It also produces hilarious poo poo like

Probably (most likely) fake but I've seen weirder poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

leica posted:

Isn't that what makes skateboarding cool though? There's something for everybody :)

Exactly.

For another good speed reference, here's one with a static observer. Riders are doing 70+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0-pt1tNzx4