Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=400902794655

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Oh yeah, a few of us in the metal thread have declared the new Countess album, Burning Scripture, 2010 metal album of the year.

And if it weren't for the internet, only 666 of us would be able to know it's glory!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Varg's farmstead is up for sale if anyone needs a cozy place to raise their healthy aryan children. Apparently he's moved to France with his wife and daughter.

The auction site

Larger images

progdoctor
Dec 16, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

New Nachtmystium is really good. There are some weird rear end tracks that sound 80's synth rock-ish, but its still really heavy and a good metal album. The one traditional black metal song they do have is loving amazing as well.

Hell yes! I am loving it so far. Purists stay away. Can't wait to see them with Enthroned and Destroyer 666.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ElectricWizard posted:

Varg's farmstead is up for sale if anyone needs a cozy place to raise their healthy aryan children. Apparently he's moved to France with his wife and daughter.

The auction site

Larger images

Someone should organise a bunch of donations to turn it into a holocaust memorial or something.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Plasma1010 posted:

If you like it, check out his latest album Lost Horizons of Wisdom next. I personally think it is his best.

Here is one of the tracks off the album ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEefW_XViP8

Awesome, that's a great track and I'll check that album out as well. Funeral Sorcery showed up today, roughly a week after I ordered it. Not too bad, considering it was shipped from Greece.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Captain Chestbeard posted:

Fuckin' MACES. How do they work?

I think we should post our blackest, metallest shirts. This one is mine. I can't find a good picture. When I ordered it online, I was like, "Yeah. That looks pretty wicked." Oh, but when I finally saw it up close and personal, it was 10 times more :black101:

I showed it to my friend, who loves his metal and is pretty warped, and he was like, "Dude, holy gently caress! That's fuckin' scary." It is truly magical, granting me the enchantments of +10 Personal Space Radius and +3 Stun.

I think my favorite is my Watain shirt http://www.amazon.com/Watain-Sworn-Dark-T-Shirt-Large/dp/B001GPV6GA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1275755314&sr=1-1 with the Sworn to the Dark album art up front and that wolf/coyote head on the back. I'm obsessed with that thing. Best reaction I've gotten out of it was my wife's uncle, who is a Navajo medicine man. He didn't know what the gently caress to make of it.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Openknees posted:

I think my favorite is my Watain shirt http://www.amazon.com/Watain-Sworn-Dark-T-Shirt-Large/dp/B001GPV6GA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1275755314&sr=1-1 with the Sworn to the Dark album art up front and that wolf/coyote head on the back. I'm obsessed with that thing. Best reaction I've gotten out of it was my wife's uncle, who is a Navajo medicine man. He didn't know what the gently caress to make of it.

Watain had a really pretty shirt for MDF. Actually, Watain has some pretty col shirts in general.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Openknees posted:

I had to order one of those from america because nobody prints them over here. It's fantastic, SttD has some of the best cover art going.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

thepitgoddess posted:

Watain had a really pretty shirt for MDF. Actually, Watain has some pretty col shirts in general.
Took a picture of mine, it is pretty cool looking.
Front:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/2f/2f0f1a8fc5e8bc1c954e18e346aee6c4b6579a47.jpg

Back:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/c2/c2c8b73ddc71cd5c1c6162367be744d9990ad75d.jpg

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Erik Danielsson is a graphic designer, I think he does a lot of their stuff.

I believe he also designed this shirt, which I am the proud owner of:

edit: I just found this. I actually really like Lawless Darkness, but Watain are so pretentious it's just ridiculous.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 6, 2010

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Yeah, that's the one I got too. Watain are pretentious. It's all part of the act. That's black metal, haha.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ElectricWizard posted:

The auction site
[/timg]

I must say that's a pretty affordable price for a place like that. It's not as deep in the woods as I'd thought either, it's an easy commute to several places where one might actually find a job worth having, etc. In fact it looks like a pretty great place to raise a family if one is into the whole rural thing (and when the oldest kid hits the teenage years you could move him into the "cabin" so he can listen to whatever devil music he prefers and masturbate in peace).

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

For those of you who enjoy the whole shoe-gaze Alcest sound Neige has another project with a new cd coming out this year called Lantlôs.

Here's a track from the album...it starts out slow, but has a pretty cool blast beat part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IIzu_oa47E

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

lordblytzkrieg posted:

For those of you who enjoy the whole shoe-gaze Alcest sound Neige has another project with a new cd coming out this year called Lantlôs.

Here's a track from the album...it starts out slow, but has a pretty cool blast beat part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IIzu_oa47E
Interesting, is Neige doing any song-writing for this or just providing vocals?

Lantlôs's self-titled was decent for that style so I'm curious how this will differ.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

het posted:

Interesting, is Neige doing any song-writing for this or just providing vocals?

Lantlôs's self-titled was decent for that style so I'm curious how this will differ.

He's just doing the vocals as far as I can tell from their myspace page.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Totally off any topic, but I was listening to Peste Noire's Nous Sommes Fanes and totally got a Johnny Thunders/Voidoids Ivan Julian vibe off the guitars. Very cool.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Haggins posted:

And if it weren't for the internet, only 666 of us would be able to know it's glory!

Well, I say hooray for the internet, because this is some good poo poo.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
As far as I know, very few of the Barbarian Wrath releases actually sell out the 666 copies.

The ones that do (some Countess releases and both Megiddo full lengths that I know of) will get a second unnumbered pressing of 1000 copies. I think that Megiddo's The Devil and the Whore even got a third pressing of another 1000 because there was a lot of demand for it.

I dont think sales are really that high although it has been a while since I last talked with the esteemed Black Goat.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Oh yeah, a few of us in the metal thread have declared the new Countess album, Burning Scripture, 2010 metal album of the year.

Wow. This is really good.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MrBling posted:

As far as I know, very few of the Barbarian Wrath releases actually sell out the 666 copies.

The ones that do (some Countess releases and both Megiddo full lengths that I know of) will get a second unnumbered pressing of 1000 copies. I think that Megiddo's The Devil and the Whore even got a third pressing of another 1000 because there was a lot of demand for it.

I dont think sales are really that high although it has been a while since I last talked with the esteemed Black Goat.

Yeah I bought Holocaust of the God Believers (2006) new a few months ago. I thought it was stupid that they limit everything to 666 but it makes sense if they don't normally sellout and do reprints if needed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, apparently 600 copies sold is the breakeven point when he releases cds and then he just chose to do 666 instead for kicks.

Keep in mind that this is a label run out of the house of one guy and his wife in Bavaria. Or I guess I should say that the one guy runs the label and the wife runs her own label.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

Awesome, that's a great track and I'll check that album out as well. Funeral Sorcery showed up today, roughly a week after I ordered it. Not too bad, considering it was shipped from Greece.

Listening to the Split that Evilfeast did with Marblebog, I suggest to check out this project from Hungary ...

From the Split with Evilfeast ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X86fI-6s3iY&feature=PlayList&p=20A9712A3CE8C5F0&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=27

From their 2005 Album "Forestheart" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_ZEAtWRTE

Evilfeast also dropped a demo last year called "Wolves of the Hyperborean Frost", and one of the tracks is a synth cover of Burzum's Der Tod Wuotans ... which is awesome.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 9, 2010

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

Wow. This is really good.

On my first listen through this I loving laughed out loud at the Manowar cover. And it was a happy, joyful laugh.

Last Eunuch Horn
Jun 9, 2010

I subscribe to a shallow pop-culture view of intelligence and am proud of my glaring social inadequacies.
Hey, just thought I'd throw out some bands from my neck of the woods: Ontario, Canada.

WOLVEN ANCESTRY.

Sudbury, Ontario. On Encyclopaedia Metallum, they call themselves "melodic black metal". Their first album, The Wrath of Gaia, had ridiculously long song titles, like, "And Gaia's Wrath of A Thousand Forms of Vehement Torture Will Be Brought Upon Ourselves, the Self-Destructing Human". The second album, "Silence of the Boreal", not so much. And yes, the frontman "Lord Defiler" does wear that horned wolf headdress during shows. Haven't seen it myself, but apparently he cuts himself on stage, too.

VIDEO: "A Bloodline of Immortal Passion Bestowed the Harmony of Man and Wolf"
VIDEO: Live cover of Satyricon's "Mother North"

WOODS OF YPRES

London, Ontario? Windsor? Their wikipedia page calls them "blackened doom metal", but they aren't straight-up black metal at all. There's a weird, grunge/folk thing going on with their music, which isn't really a bad thing. I don't know how to describe it, except that I kind of want to hear a Neil Young cover of this song:
"Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground"
I just left one of those burial grounds, so I've listened to this maybe too much. It is awesome.

Last Eunuch Horn fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 19, 2010

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I really can't get into Woods of Ypres. I sort of want to like them, but the one record I have just sounds tired, defeated and dull. There are moments of originality and ingenuity, but not enough to outweigh the overwhelming mediocrity of the general proceedings.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

So apparently this reunited Von is a loving joke. I guess they played their first new show last Sunday at the Armageddon Festival in London and it was so bad that everyone that just walked out. It embarrassed them so bad that they dropped off Hole in the Sky.

quote:

Von has decided to cancel their appearance at Hole in the Sky due to reasons explained in the statement below.

“Due to unforeseen circumstances in regards to the Armageddon Festival in London, VON has decided to cancel their live appearance at the Hole in the Sky this year. The creators of VON (Goat and Venien) are both in the studio working hard on their solo projects and wish to acknowledge and offer their continued support and thanks to the both “The Hole in the Sky” and their management for given the opportunity”.

Judge for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTD8CNpxhJc

To me It sounds like they're trying to go gothenburg and mix it with Deftones vocals. I don't know but it's loving terrible. From what I understand, the original dudes in the band saw that people were making money off all the bootlegs and wanted a piece of the action. They've been out of the metal for years and it shows.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Last Eunuch Horn posted:

Hey, just thought I'd throw out some bands from my neck of the woods: Ontario, Canada.

WOLVEN ANCESTRY.

Sudbury, Ontario. On Encyclopaedia Metallum, they call themselves "melodic black metal". Their first album, The Wrath of Gaia, had ridiculously long song titles, like, "And Gaia's Wrath of A Thousand Forms of Vehement Torture Will Be Brought Upon Ourselves, the Self-Destructing Human". The second album, "Silence of the Boreal", not so much. And yes, the frontman "Lord Defiler" does wear that horned wolf headdress during shows. Haven't seen it myself, but apparently he cuts himself on stage, too.

VIDEO: "A Bloodline of Immortal Passion Bestowed the Harmony of Man and Wolf"
I like that song a lot, but could they have made a cheesier video?

Last Eunuch Horn
Jun 9, 2010

I subscribe to a shallow pop-culture view of intelligence and am proud of my glaring social inadequacies.

NATO posted:

I like that song a lot, but could they have made a cheesier video?

I know a cheap Northern Ontario music video when I see one. There's worse out there, believe me.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Last Eunuch Horn posted:

London, Ontario? Windsor? Their wikipedia page calls them "blackened doom metal", but they aren't straight-up black metal at all. There's a weird, grunge/folk thing going on with their music, which isn't really a bad thing. I don't know how to describe it, except that I kind of want to hear a Neil Young cover of this song:
"Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground"
I just left one of those burial grounds, so I've listened to this maybe too much. It is awesome.

More like Embarrassing Blackened Livejournal Rant Over Boring Rock N' Roll

Ever since I was born in a northern town
I've been digging myself out
From a time when I hadn't seen
Anything worth remembering

I would aspire to better life
To feast my eyes and expand my mind
I'd lie awake, I could not wait
To leave this place behind

Your Ontario town is just a burial ground
For old friends

Inspired by hopelessness
From where my discontent once began
I miss the nature and the wilderness
But not the people there

As old stores will close their doors
Other ones may change their names
But old friends still live their lives
Where I would have died of shame
For old friends

You say that you grew up
You say that you tried
I think you took the easy way out
I say you gave up
I say you died

You'll say that you're content
You'll say there's no regrets
But I think you took the easy way out
For if you're not dreaming anymore
You're already dead

What a shame for those who chose
To be wasted in the north
What a shame to know nothing more
Than the town where you were born
For old friends

Kick over the stone that bares your name
I spit on the snow that covers your grave

The guy's first album, while pretty forgettable, was enjoyable enough. Everything that I've listened to from him since then has left me feeling insulted thinking "Did they really put that stuff out with a straight face?" You're quite right about the Neil Young point, though, but it shouldn't be a cover song. He, or someone in that style, should have been the one to do this song. Folk/Rock is a much more fertile ground for this kind of soul searching stuff. It doesn't belong in Metal *strokes spiked wristband*

RHTITE fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 19, 2010

Last Eunuch Horn
Jun 9, 2010

RHTITE posted:

Stuffs

Meh. You're right. I just relate to it personally, as most of my life was spent as an angry little small-town loner. After about 4 songs, I'm a little tired of the introspection and stuff, and throw on some Hellhammer. Literally tired even. I was wide awake and now I'm yawning. Rat bastards.

e: On further reflection, both of the bands I have posted relate philosophically to traditional black metal, but that's about it. That Wolven Ancestry song is about a werewolf, and Gaia is a Greek goddess. Woods of Ypres isn't exactly rebelling against a Christian establishment. Buuuuut, both express isolation/solitude, some link with the natural world, angsty loving around in a cold, dark forest.

Last Eunuch Horn fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 20, 2010

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Last Eunuch Horn posted:

Woods of Ypres

Man, I really loved their last album. It has an emo-ish The Cure meets Type O Negative as doom/black band vibe that screams "hate me!" but I just can't. I listened to the poo poo out of that, even if it was overlong at 75 minutes or so.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

This is incredible. I can't stop listening to it.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Wikipedia posted:

Unblack metal is viewed as an ideological group within black metal that depicts Christianity positively. There is no method to play black metal in a Christian way. Hence, unblack metal incorporates black metal's fast tempos, shrieked vocals, highly distorted guitars played with tremolo picking, double-kick drumming, and unconventional song structure. However, unblack artists have performed in a variety of black metal styles. Garry Sharpe-Young's 2001 encyclopedia A-Z of Black Metal states that "Topping the lot are Christian 'Unblack' acts who for all intents and purposes look like, sound like and employ the imagery of Black Metal whilst hidden in the unpenetrable vocal growls and distortions are the proclamations of Jesus Christ

What. the. fugdlkfjgl;kdjfa;oeifa;dsfs;lkdfjklsf:psyduck: I think I just pulled something in my brain. Ow.

Click if you can afford to lose brain cells.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Unblack Metal ranks up their with Red Anarchist Black Metal as two of the stupider concepts to have ever come up from the moron brigade of the Metal world. Seriously, the ideals are like trying to mix matter and antimatter. Also, the only two bands worth a poo poo in Black Metal whose vocalists also play the drums are the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLEYvjUyixc - Absu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrRj7ejHFTY - Profanatica

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RHTITE posted:

Also, the only two bands worth a poo poo in Black Metal whose vocalists also play the drums are the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLEYvjUyixc - Absu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrRj7ejHFTY - Profanatica

I can understand not liking Burzum much, but not worth a poo poo?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Seriously guys? Do people really feel the need to bring this poo poo up every two months?

"they're playing black metal, but instead of singing about satan, they're singing about something else! how CRAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZYYYYYY!"

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

IRQ posted:

I can understand not liking Burzum much, but not worth a poo poo?

Well, you got me. In my defense though, the case could also be made with Burzum nowadays.

Fuklaw posted:

Seriously guys? Do people really feel the need to bring this poo poo up every two months?

"they're playing black metal, but instead of singing about satan, they're singing about something else! how CRAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZYYYYYY!"

A Catholic priest is up doin his thing on Sunday morning, giving a wonderful sermon when all of a sudden he starts talking passionately about the practice of ritual cat sodomy. His congregation is aghast as he goes into great detail about the spiritual healing that can be attained from the violation of various breeds of long haired cats compared to the lesser gains from short haired breeds. I think most people would consider that as something that has no place in the church, and the priest would be run out of town on a rail, mocked and soon forgotten. Much the same way that all of these gimmick bands have been throughout the entire history of the genre. They just never have anything worthwhile to offer.

By the by, I didn't say anything about Satan. Almost all "Satanic" Black Metal bands suck to.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Well, there's two major motivations for starting one of these "unblack" bands. The bands claim to be either "white" or "unblack". White metal would be the people who want to dress up like heathens, infiltrate their space, and convert them. Unblack metal would be the ones with big boners over their Chosen status, and want to be seen as persecuted creatures. They're like, "Yeah, people hate me because Jesus loves me. I am so loving badass and rebellious." Both are hilarious.

e: the only thing more hilarious would be Saudi Royal Gangsta Rap.

e2: I want to post aboot a thrash band, but is there a thread for that? Will I be slain if I bring it up here?

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

RHTITE posted:

A Catholic priest is up doin his thing on Sunday morning, giving a wonderful sermon when all of a sudden he starts talking passionately about the practice of ritual cat sodomy. His congregation is aghast as he goes into great detail about the spiritual healing that can be attained from the violation of various breeds of long haired cats compared to the lesser gains from short haired breeds. I think most people would consider that as something that has no place in the church, and the priest would be run out of town on a rail, mocked and soon forgotten.

Truly, black metal is my religion (and not just a thing i listen to every now and then)