Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sgt Fox posted:

Do it. I personally don't like the flex heads but the F80 is great.

I agree, after using a friends set, I decided to get a 1/4, 3/8 and a 1/2" Dual 80 wrench and tossed my no names, and relegated the craftsmen to my "backup" set that I keep in the car. I'll stick to craftsman for sockets and such, but those dual 80's feel great, and they're a thinner profile than my old ratchets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Lowclock posted:

I got the cheapo HF 1/4 Sheet Orbital Hand Sander...I don't even want to think about how long the little sheet clamps are going to last

I bought the same one. They broke on mine the second time I put sandpaper on it. no lie.

It was about 3 years ago I bought it and it still works great using adhesive backed paper though.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I bought Snap-On 1/4" and 3/8" Dual 80 ratchets on ebay today. I also bought a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver. $150 for all 3, hopefully they all work okay.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I got my Dual80 3/8 drive today and the shallow socket set. Holypoo poo these things are nice. The ratchet has a really nice working motion. Here's to more busted knuckles over busted wrenches.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Now that I've got a hoist of my own, it's about time I look for a load leveler. I can't for the life of me find the harbor freight one, but I don't want a lovely one that I can barely turn with weight on it. There are a couple that look good, one is Summit brand and the other is OTC. I wouldn't be surprised if the Summit one is just a re-packaged OTC, I was wondering what you guys use.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Raluek posted:

Now that I've got a hoist of my own, it's about time I look for a load leveler. I can't for the life of me find the harbor freight one, but I don't want a lovely one that I can barely turn with weight on it. There are a couple that look good, one is Summit brand and the other is OTC. I wouldn't be surprised if the Summit one is just a re-packaged OTC, I was wondering what you guys use.

I have that OTC leveler, and I like it. Makes it easy to pull an engine/trans out by yourself (of course, if you can get help, you may as well). It's very easy to turn the lever under load.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I read the past few pages, and it seems there's a lot of hate for cheaper compressors, so this might be a bit of a lost cause, but if I wanted to do basic repair work (I'm thinking the clutch on my Miata soon), is there anything sub $200 that'll be portable and useful at all? I'm in an apartment, so I'd have to lug it back upstairs. I get work cycles and all that, and don't mind using it for ten minutes and waiting for the air to build back up, but it sounds like I'd be wasting $200 to get a cheap Harbor Freight 3-5 horse compressor. Am I wrong in this assessment? I can do this poo poo with normal tools, I just feel like I'd have fewer issues with stubborn bolts with access to a compressor and an impact wrench.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Air ratchets seem like such a great idea until you actually use one. I'll pick up a regular ratchet instead of the air ratchet 99 times out of 100. What I'm saying is try one out before you plop down a couple hundred dollars on a tool you may not like much, especially for a lovely setup for a tool you may not like much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

frozenphil posted:

Air ratchets seem like such a great idea until you actually use one. I'll pick up a regular ratchet instead of the air ratchet 99 times out of 100. What I'm saying is try one out before you plop down a couple hundred dollars on a tool you may not like much, especially for a lovely setup for a tool you may not like much.
Yeah, I do have a cheapy-cheap one that I find the odd use for, but it's a bit of a master-of-none kind of tool. Putting the same cash towards buying either a better impact gun or a better manual ratchet than you would otherwise is a more sensible investment.

I find it's only really useful for when I need something to sit there winding away on something that needs a bit more torque than a drill-type driver, but not the savagery of an impact wrench. T-800 CPU access port retaining screws, for instance.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

don't mind using it for ten minutes and waiting for the air to build back up

More like using it for 5-10 seconds, then waiting 2 minutes for the air to build back up. The only thing you'd need it for for a clutch job would be pulling the wheels, everything else should be done by hand or will be in too tight of a spot.

Even with a big air compressor I reach for the hand tools 99% of the time. The time saved with the power tool is almost always wasted in swapping tools.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I read the past few pages, and it seems there's a lot of hate for cheaper compressors, so this might be a bit of a lost cause, but if I wanted to do basic repair work (I'm thinking the clutch on my Miata soon), is there anything sub $200 that'll be portable and useful at all? I'm in an apartment, so I'd have to lug it back upstairs. I get work cycles and all that, and don't mind using it for ten minutes and waiting for the air to build back up, but it sounds like I'd be wasting $200 to get a cheap Harbor Freight 3-5 horse compressor. Am I wrong in this assessment? I can do this poo poo with normal tools, I just feel like I'd have fewer issues with stubborn bolts with access to a compressor and an impact wrench.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Do you want to charge your air compressor and carry it out to your car or run a long extension cord and have it hooked up outside?

My dad has a small, cheap compressor and I don't mind using it. I get enough air to take off a wheel before the pump turns itself on. It's good enough for light work that doesn't require a constant stream of air (impact gun). It is, however, loud and heavy; not something you'd want to be lugging around and using in an apartment building.

A better use of your money would be to get an electric impact wrench. More portable and probably cheaper.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

The electric impact wrench sounds pretty good, actually. I'll look into those.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Make sure that you have lots of different lengths of extensions. Extensions already dull the power of an impact gun and if you have two or more extensions the gun will be dramatically weaker.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

frozenphil posted:

I have the opposite opinion. I use my 1/4" air ratchet 99 times out of 100 (though rarely the 3/8" bone breaking machine). I am so spoiled, I get annoyed when I have to turn something by hand.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CatBus posted:

I have the opposite opinion. I use my 1/4" air ratchet 99 times out of 100 (though rarely the 3/8" bone breaking machine). I am so spoiled, I get annoyed when I have to turn something by hand.

Yeah, I'd probably use an air ratchet more too if every bolt I needed to remove was rusted in place and just going to break or rip out anyway.

loving BURN!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

frozenphil posted:

loving BURN!
Maybe an air ratchet means jobs progress too quickly for your sensibilities.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Maybe an air ratchet means jobs progress too quickly for your sensibilities.

Nothing worth doing is worth doing fast.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
All this talk of 1/4" air ratchets is reminding me of my lack of one. Has anyone tried the HF professional line? Is it better than the basic? Supposedly it makes more torque and uses less air.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Snap-on makes a really nice stubby one.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Sgt Fox posted:

Snap-on makes a really nice stubby one.

Dont have snapon money. I have HF money.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

RealKyleH posted:

All this talk of 1/4" air ratchets is reminding me of my lack of one. Has anyone tried the HF professional line? Is it better than the basic? Supposedly it makes more torque and uses less air.

Anything branded Central Pneumatic "Earthquake" will make your manhood grow hard with use. Seriously, the 1/2 Earthquake Impact wrench had rednecks lining up at my house wanting to use it. It was TEARING poo poo up that I couldn't break free with a 36" Snap-On breaker bar with a fatass neighbor jumping up and down on it. I bought the 1/2" Earthquake air ratchet yesterday and it's stronger than my trusty CH Impact gun. Amazing.

Their 1/4" drive Earthquake air ratchet is here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ratchets/1-4-quarter-inch-professional-air-ratchet-wrench-65159.html

As of 6/6/10 it's on sale for $49.00. Get a 20% coupon and mack that sucker.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 6, 2010

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a Skil 7.2-Volt Lithium Ion Power Wrench on Amazon today. The reviews are kind of mixed, but all I want this for is to drive bolts and screws to the point where my ratchet can be used to finish them off so I don't have to waste time turning the fastener by hand to get it finger tight. Also, vice versa. I want to crack bolts with real tools and then use this to get them the rest of the way off.

Does anyone make a VERY SHALLOW 1/4" to 3/8" adapter? I would like to use this with 3/8" sockets without increasing the depth of the tool.

Kind of like an air ratchet but without the air.
The Skil POWER RATCHET came today and is pretty cool. I will definitely be getting a set of 1/4" drive metric deep sockets to extend its usefulness. It was very helpful in removing and installing some bolts that hold on the spark plug valley covers on my Lexus and some brackets that hold some wires in place on my Integra. You do need to break the bolts loose with hand tools and then follow up with this tool, but I expected that. It has the potential to make tedious jobs like valve cover removals go a lot faster.

I cannot yet speak to the battery life, but my Skil cordless lithium ion screwdriver goes a pretty long time on a charge. We have a Skill screwdriver just like it at work and it always goes all day on a charge, and we use it a LOT.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

PBCrunch posted:

The Skil POWER RATCHET came today and is pretty cool. I will definitely be getting a set of 1/4" drive metric deep sockets to extend its usefulness. It was very helpful in removing and installing some bolts that hold on the spark plug valley covers on my Lexus and some brackets that hold some wires in place on my Integra. You do need to break the bolts loose with hand tools and then follow up with this tool, but I expected that. It has the potential to make tedious jobs like valve cover removals go a lot faster.

I cannot yet speak to the battery life, but my Skil cordless lithium ion screwdriver goes a pretty long time on a charge. We have a Skill screwdriver just like it at work and it always goes all day on a charge, and we use it a LOT.

I used to have one of those when I was working on my very first project car. Battery life was pretty good iirc. Made taking apart body panels and interior bits a breeze.

Course, I didn't know anything about anything back then, and learned the hard way about why you don't break things loose with 1/4" drive.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

R-Type posted:

Anything branded Central Pneumatic "Earthquake" will make your manhood grow hard with use. Seriously, the 1/2 Earthquake Impact wrench had rednecks lining up at my house wanting to use it. It was TEARING poo poo up that I couldn't break free with a 36" Snap-On breaker bar with a fatass neighbor jumping up and down on it. I bought the 1/2" Earthquake air ratchet yesterday and it's stronger than my trusty CH Impact gun. Amazing.

I got one of these for FREE. :smug:
It works pretty darn good.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*Also Sprach Zarathustra*

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...r%20Compressors
US General 60 Gallon 130 PSI twin cylinder air compressor.
Air delivery: 12.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, 14.5 CFM @ 40 PSI. I compared it to the Home Depot Husky and it's CH counterpart sold at Lowes, beat both of them out in every catagory. By the way, this compressor is actually a Bel-Air unit made here in the US of A.

My cost with 20% coupon = $314.00
:circlefap:

Now time to pull some power and run some 400 PSI PVC....

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
HF (at least mine) doesn't actually sell any cutoff or grinding discs that fit their 4" electric angle grinder. When I took mine in and showed an employee, he took my 4" and traded me up to the 4.5" for free despite mine being several months old, and not having a box or receipt.

He also threw in a package of cutoff discs and gave me $5 for my trouble! I love Harbor Freight.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

R-Type posted:

By the way, this compressor is actually a Bel-Air unit made here in the US of A.

What? When did this happen? I demand proof.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oxbrain posted:

What? When did this happen? I demand proof.

Seriously, if this is true I'm buying one tomorrow.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.maxtool.com/product/search.asp?mdb=%5Ctools.mdb,tbl=IC_ITEMS,template=/Belaire-4.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,ReturnMax=1,DB_ITEM=6061V

A couple of things are flipped around, pay attention to the details.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But isn't the HF one just a copy made in China?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

But isn't the HF one just a copy made in China?

The tank has a plate welded on certification that was done in california. The electric motor has stickers that says made in mexico, however the shop in Houston that sells the BelAir has the same stickers in the same places. As far as I know, they are one and the same. I read on a HF review site about a month ago that these US general models were being purchased from BelAir or Devilbliss.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

R-Type posted:

The tank has a plate welded on certification that was done in california. The electric motor has stickers that says made in mexico, however the shop in Houston that sells the BelAir has the same stickers in the same places. As far as I know, they are one and the same. I read on a HF review site about a month ago that these US general models were being purchased from BelAir or Devilbliss.

Well poo poo, I think I want one!

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Their parts manual claims that's a B3800 pump, which indeed is made by the same company that makes Bel-Aire compressors. I couldn't find it on any of their Bel-Aire branded compressors, but they do make it.

More likely they're making the pumps under license in china. The only benefit to flipping the valve body would be to have a cheaper discharge tube, but the labor required would destroy any savings if you're pulling apart new pumps to flip them. I can't find any other examples of that pump with the valve body flipped like that, and no self respecting assembly line would stop and re-task so some other company can save $0.25 per unit.

Doing some digging around, Lowes used to sell a kobalt branded compressor with the same pump. The HF [url=http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/3000-3999/3848.pdf[/url]]maunal[/url] is almost a complete copy and paste from the lowes manual. It's possible that they bought up a shitload of returned/damaged kobalt units and reconditioned them.

edit: The tank had to be certified here or it couldn't have been sold here. The ASME doesn't gently caress around. I would expect it to be assemble in mexico, which would explain the "made in mexico" sticker. The critical part is the pump, it represents 75% of the cost of the compressor. If the pump actually comes from the same assembly line as the bel-aire then that's a pretty decent compressor for the cost.

Stick a magnet on the main body of the pump. I wonder if it's cast iron like the B3800 should be, or cast aluminum.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 8, 2010

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Ooh shiny (but not new).

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Snap-On T72 Dual 80 1/4" Drive Racthet
Snap-On F80 Dual 80 3/8" Drive Racthet
Snap-On Ratcheting Screwdriver (with action so-so fine)

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

oxbrain posted:

Their parts manual claims that's a B3800 pump, which indeed is made by the same company that makes Bel-Aire compressors. I couldn't find it on any of their Bel-Aire branded compressors, but they do make it.

More likely they're making the pumps under license in china. The only benefit to flipping the valve body would be to have a cheaper discharge tube, but the labor required would destroy any savings if you're pulling apart new pumps to flip them. I can't find any other examples of that pump with the valve body flipped like that, and no self respecting assembly line would stop and re-task so some other company can save $0.25 per unit.

Doing some digging around, Lowes used to sell a kobalt branded compressor with the same pump. The HF [url=http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/3000-3999/3848.pdf[/url]]maunal[/url] is almost a complete copy and paste from the lowes manual. It's possible that they bought up a shitload of returned/damaged kobalt units and reconditioned them.

edit: The tank had to be certified here or it couldn't have been sold here. The ASME doesn't gently caress around. I would expect it to be assemble in mexico, which would explain the "made in mexico" sticker. The critical part is the pump, it represents 75% of the cost of the compressor. If the pump actually comes from the same assembly line as the bel-aire then that's a pretty decent compressor for the cost.

Stick a magnet on the main body of the pump. I wonder if it's cast iron like the B3800 should be, or cast aluminum.

Wow, you really know your pneumatic pumps! This tank body appears to be made of steel or iron as a magnet stuck to it. I ran it last night for the break-in proceedure with a temporary 240v connection, it seemed to be OK. it didn't vibrate as much as I expected, even running on my slab with no isolators, and it was quite a bit more quiet than my old 5HP 30 gal craftsman.

I think it will be OK for my level of use and projects. If I was planning on doing more work on a frequent basis or was making professional investment, I drat sure would have purchased the Ingersoll-Rand from Northern Tool.

Anybody that's interested in this compressor: I'll have it connected by this weekend and put it through some load testing. Look in this thread for updates.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

R-Type posted:

Wow, you really know your pneumatic pumps!

Yeah as far as air compressors and festivas, he doesn't gently caress around.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

R-Type posted:

Now time to pull some power and run some 400 PSI PVC....
NO PVC, dear god. Use Copper or Steel. PVC is a bomb waiting to blow your rear end up.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

R-Type posted:

Anybody that's interested in this compressor: I'll have it connected by this weekend and put it through some load testing. Look in this thread for updates.

I'll be interested to know how long it takes to fill the tank from empty now and several months from now.

Definitely don't use PVC for compressed air. The pressure fluctuations work harden it and it will eventually split open. Black iron pipe is cheaper, easier to assemble, and will help cool the air.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

ab0z posted:

Yeah as far as air compressors and festivas, he doesn't gently caress around.

If only he would combine the two. First air powered Festiva anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

NinjaTech posted:

If only he would combine the two. First air powered Festiva anyone?

Id prefer a festiva powered air compressor.