Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I guess this isn't necessarily a where do I start, but a what should I stay away from in Bob Dylan's catalogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

screaden posted:

So I guess this isn't necessarily a where do I start, but a what should I stay away from in Bob Dylan's catalogue

I can't claim to be any kind of authority here but I guess it goes without saying that Christmas In The Heart is pretty devoid of much substance.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Return to Sender posted:

Where do I start with:
Steely Dan?

I think you could definitely go chronologically with Dan, all of their albums from 72-80 are pretty strong. Just know that they get "jazzier" the further you go.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Where do I start with Steve Reich?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

BeigeJacket posted:

Wheres a good place to begin with Pat Metheny?

Kind of a late reply, but I really really like his album with Jaco Pastorius, Bright Size Life. I'm not a real big Metheny fan, but I love the hell out of that record.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
As a big Neutral Milk Hotel fan, I would like to know where I start with The Elephant Six Collective, NMH excepted?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Popcorn posted:

Where do I start with Steve Reich?

Music for 18 Musicians, Octet/Music For A Large Ensemble/Violin Phase, Desert Music and Six Pianos/Music For Mallet Instruments, Voices And Organ in my opinion.

If you have 70-80 bucks to spare, the Works boxset is definitely worth getting.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Pigeon Shamus posted:

As a big Neutral Milk Hotel fan, I would like to know where I start with The Elephant Six Collective, NMH excepted?

It's generally considered that the Apples in Stereo and The Olivia Tremor Control(OTC) were alongside NMH as the frontrunners for that collective

Personally I like OTC a bit more because it's a bit more experimental and less "bubblegum" than the Apples in Stereo

Another favourite is early of Montreal, particularly Cherry Peel and Gay Parade (my favourite of Montreal album)

A LOT of the other bands in the collective are off shoots of these few bands with different members (although they get interchanged a lot also) so basically go with which member you like and explore their other side bands

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Return to Sender posted:

Thee Silver Mt. Zion?

Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward + the EP from 2003. I think those are their best works.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Where do I start with King Diamond? The only thing I listen to by him is Mercyful Fate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Where do I start with King Diamond? The only thing I listen to by him is Mercyful Fate.

Abigail.

johnelway7
Sep 25, 2004

screaden posted:

It's generally considered that the Apples in Stereo and The Olivia Tremor Control(OTC) were alongside NMH as the frontrunners for that collective

Personally I like OTC a bit more because it's a bit more experimental and less "bubblegum" than the Apples in Stereo

Another favourite is early of Montreal, particularly Cherry Peel and Gay Parade (my favourite of Montreal album)

A LOT of the other bands in the collective are off shoots of these few bands with different members (although they get interchanged a lot also) so basically go with which member you like and explore their other side bands

NMH is really kinda unlike a lot of the other E6 bands. The Apples In Stereo's Science Faire is one of those albums that never gets old to me. Great pop album. Another interesting Apples' album if you're looking for a late 60s Beatles clone is Her Wallpaper Reverie.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Alright, I have Therion's Sirius B...I know the obvious next stop is Lemuria, but how about after that? Is the death metal era even worth rooting through?

Also, Spiderbait after Ivy and the Big Apples. If anyone else here even listens to them, that is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

machchunk posted:

Alright, I have Therion's Sirius B...I know the obvious next stop is Lemuria, but how about after that? Is the death metal era even worth rooting through?

I don't think so, but you might. Your best bet is to work backwards chronologically and stop when you hear something you don't like. Definitely pick up Gothic Kabbalah if you like Sirius B.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Actually, Therion's death metal period is far better than anything else they did afterward, but if you're looking for more of the same I'd recommend you listen to Secret of the Runes.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

screaden posted:

Stay away from the '80s, and start with The Basement Tapes (if you're into rock) or Highway 61 Revisited (if you're into folk).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Monkeytime posted:

Stay away from the '80s, and start with The Basement Tapes (if you're into rock) or Highway 61 Revisited (if you're into folk).

I think Bringing It All Back Home or The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan would be much better examples of Dylan's folkier work. I mean they're all fantastic so not a complaint about the quality of Highway 61 Revisited but that's not the first one I'd single out as an entry point for fans of folk.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Reposting this from the "recommend me" thread since no-one cared there:

Popcorn posted:

I'm looking to explore some more Krautrock, specifically something with that repeating motorik rhythm, eg demonstrated by this amateur youtube band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2KZnhFqvk

I understand that's pretty Neu-esque, but what I've heard of Neu doesn't seem to be as harsh/rock-y as I'd like-- I like that grinding riff over the straight 4/4 motorik drumming. Is there some specific Neu I should be looking at, or anything else?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've heard some Inkubus Sukkubus songs, and while I like them musically, the nattering on about paganism gets a little old. My favorite of their songs is "Belladonna and Aconite". Which album(s) should I get?

VVVV
I can tolerate it, it's just kind of annoying after a bit.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 9, 2010

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I've heard some Inkubus Sukkubus songs, and while I like them musically, the nattering on about paganism gets a little old. My favorite of their songs is "Belladonna and Aconite". Which album(s) should I get?

If you don't like the paganism, you're not gonna like any of the albums, cause that's kinda their thing. The albums I've heard tend to sound very similar from song to song, so you might want to check out their best of.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

machchunk posted:

Also, Spiderbait after Ivy and the Big Apples. If anyone else here even listens to them, that is.

I know you said the albums after, but honestly, it's probably only worth going the album before (The Unfinished Spanish Galleon of Finley Lake) and after (Grandslam). The first album is really poorly recorded and none of the songs stand out all that well, and I haven't listened to the two albums after Grandslam that much to make a judgment.

Maybe look into the band's side projects? I can't vouch for the stuff Janet did with Quan from Regurgitator, but the Hot Rollers stuff Kram did with Ritchie from Tumbleweed isn't terrible.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!

Popcorn posted:

Reposting this from the "recommend me" thread since no-one cared there:

Have you listened to the songs Negativland from NEU! and perhaps E-musik from NEU 75? Those are the most rocky type songs from them.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ramms+ein posted:

Have you listened to the songs Negativland from NEU! and perhaps E-musik from NEU 75? Those are the most rocky type songs from them.

There's also "Super" from Neu! 2.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I will check out those albums, thanks!

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Popcorn posted:

I will check out those albums, thanks!

I will say that you should probably check Neu! 2 the last of their output. The band ran out of money about halfway through recording the album and had to resort to desperation tactics to pad out the second half, like putting three versions of "Super" on the album, with the other two literally being the exact same recording sped up ("Super 78") and slowed down ("Super 16").

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

ultrafilter posted:

Abigail.

Thanks, picked this one up.

Is any of King Diamonds new stuff worth getting?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Been hearing great things about The Flaming Lips and King Crimson. Where do I start?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Lips have a lot of material. You'll probably recognize "She Don't Use Jelly" off of Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. If you like indie-ish psychdelic rock then check out that album and go backwards, where they get noisier. I could be wrong on the noiser though, as I haven't checked out their back catalog in forever.

The Soft Bulletin put them on the map for airy, exquisitely produced pop for headphone junkies. However, if this is your first taste of them I'd skip that and go straight to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, which is what mean claim as their masterpiece.

From there, dig into the catalog until you get bored. Also, check out their collaboration with Stardeath and White Dwarfs wherein they cover Dark Side of the Moon.

Unfortunately, all I know from King Crimson is In the Court of the Crimson King but that's a great record so you could probably do worse.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

SMP posted:

Been hearing great things about The Flaming Lips and King Crimson. Where do I start?

The Flaming Lips have a few distinct phases to their career. Their earliest material (from their self-titled EP to Telepathic Surgery) is basically psychedelic punk. I like a lot of the stuff from this period, but it's pretty amateurish and tends to be noisy, so it's probably not the best place to start.

The second phase (from In a Priest Driven Ambulance to Clouds Taste Metallic) keeps the noisy, psychedelic qualities to the music but combines it with more sophisticated songwriting, mostly due to Wayne Coyne working with more accomplished collaborators (first with Jon Donahue, then the tag team of Steve Drozd and Ron Jones). This is my personal favorite period of the Lips' history, and any of the four albums from that period would make for decent entry points if you're into noisy pop, though my personal faves are probably Clouds Taste Metallic and Hit to Death in the Future Head.

Skipping over Zaireeka (which is great but definitely not a good starting point), the third phase of the band's career found the Lips going increasingly toward, as hatelull said, airy, complex pop, starting with Soft Bulletin up to At War with the Mystics. This is probably their most accessible period, and The Soft Bulletin is both a great album and a critics' darling, so you might as well go for that one.

Lately, it looks like the band's started up a fourth phase by taking the complexity of their third phase and going noisier than they ever have before, with the totally awesome Embryonic. Don't know if that'd be an appropriate starting point, but I definitely love it.

tl;dr - Go for Clouds Taste Metallic if you're into noisy rock/pop, Soft Bulletin if you're into more straightforward pop, then just explore the periods of the band's sound that you find the most interesting.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

TheNintenGenius posted:

tl;dr - Go for Clouds Taste Metallic if you're into noisy rock/pop, Soft Bulletin if you're into more straightforward pop, then just explore the periods of the band's sound that you find the most interesting.

I'd say Transmissions from the Satellite Heart is the best entry for the noisy rock/pop side of things (not a knock on Clouds at all), but other than that, Ninten speaks the truth.

Also, if you start with Embryonic, whatever you think about it, I would still go back and check out some of their other stuff - then come back to Embryonic and hope and pray with us that this is just the start of their best phase yet!

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 11, 2010

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

hatelull posted:

King Crimson

For King Crimson, you should check out Larks Tongues In Aspic and Red, they're my two favorites. And if you like the Talking Heads, you would probably like Discipline.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT
Alright, next up. What about Lou Reed?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
I don't know if this thread likes people doing this, but

Fuklaw posted:

Where do I start with Phish? Or The Wildhearts?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Return to Sender posted:

Alright, next up. What about Lou Reed?

Transformer. (Assuming you mean post-Velvet Underground, otherwise start with them.)

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
If anyone wants to get into latter-day Flaming Lips, be warned that At War With The Mystics and Embryonic sound terrible mixing-wise, especially the former. Heck, At War... was the catalyst for Nick Southall to write his Imperfect Sound Forever article. You can get them if you want, but be warned. There is *nothing* worse than buying an album and stopping halfway through because you got a crippling headache from the songs.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

Fuklaw posted:

I don't know if this thread likes people doing this, but: baulghgh

"P.H.U.Q" and "Earth vs. The Wildhearts" are the best albums by the Wildhearts, and possibly "Endless Nameless" besides (I haven't heard it but people rate it, so maybe there's something there)

You might also want to pick up "Black Leather Mojo by Silver Ginger 5, the Wildhearts singer's solo project if you like those other albums. I think it's kinda hard to find these days, but it's pretty great, trashy glam-rock if you can find it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ZakAce posted:

If anyone wants to get into latter-day Flaming Lips, be warned that At War With The Mystics and Embryonic sound terrible mixing-wise, especially the former. Heck, At War... was the catalyst for Nick Southall to write his Imperfect Sound Forever article. You can get them if you want, but be warned. There is *nothing* worse than buying an album and stopping halfway through because you got a crippling headache from the songs.

I'd agree with you for At War with the Mystics, but I've never really had a problem with the mix for Embryonic. I can see why you would talk about it's mix, and I can see that you might be right, but I just sort of felt the mixing of the album was an intentional part of the atmosphere of the album itself - it never bothered me, and having done some music production work in the past, I'm usually the first to bitch and moan about anything production side.

Edit:

shpladoinkle posted:

Embryonic kinda sounds like someone tried to genetically experiment on a chimaera and took the resulting grotesque beast, with all hes arms and legs everywhere, and rolled the tortured screaming thing down a hill made of timpanis

This is a perfect description of why I think Embryonic has become my favorite Flaming Lips album.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 11, 2010

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Embryonic kinda sounds like someone tried to genetically experiment on a chimaera and took the resulting grotesque beast, with all hes arms and legs everywhere, and rolled the tortured screaming thing down a hill made of timpanis

mystics just sounds pop music being played by your little brother from the room over.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Thanks for all the help with Flaming Lips and King Crimson albums. "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" is amazing :swoon:.

Any recommendations for New Order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

SMP posted:

Any recommendations for New Order?

Get Substance, its a 2 disc compilation of their best songs from about 1981-87. If that's not enough, get Power, Corruption and Lies as well as Brotherhood.