Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Reginald Garibaldi posted:

Ok judging from the mixed bag of comments I think i'll shave them down a little but not too much to allow for more variety and customization.

I wonder if people would buy them if I put them on eBay....

People will buy resin bases whose master was made with three bits of slate and some ballast, so yes they will almost certainly buy casts of nicely made cobblestone bases.

Fyrbrand posted:

I read a tutorial at some point that used plaster of paris (some kind of putty might work too). They put down a thin layer, then carved the cobble shapes into that.

I've seen it done with plaster on round-edged bases, which have that raised edge. For GW style bases you'd need to use some sort of epoxy putty (grey/green stuff/milliput/etc.) because plaster, polyfilla etc. will flake off way too easily. Possibly some types of pre-mixed plaster might be less prone to flaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Reginald Garibaldi posted:

So I've been trying to make up a base that looks like a cobbled or brick floor for some fantasy minis. I think I've finally got it! Pictures are below and I'm just waiting for goon approval before I make a bunch more.

Fill the cracks with superglue, throw baking soda over it. Done

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 7, 2010

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Hey PV or Zarkov...

PaintVagrant posted:

In a moment of madness earlier today I found myself hacking a hole in a dreadnought base with my low-quality dremel-style rotary tool thing. This has gone well, as has the cleaning up of mangled melted edges, gluing on chunks of bark and slate and filling of gaps with putty. Now I am curious, how much detailing was put into the bottom of the pool? Obviously it's hidden behind tinted water but I'm wondering. I'm probably going to do clear water as it'll be for the distinctly non-war-torn forest base theme that my incredibly slowly developing Crimson Fists force uses.

Also I haven't mentioned how loving awesome that dreadnought is yet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The bottom of the pool has a thin layer of clump foliage with a bit of devlan mud splashed on it, then the "water" was poured on top of that.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

So the water is actually colourless and it's the foliage that's providing the green? It's incorrect assumptions day for me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Nice Ikea display cabinet on sale for 60$.

I use it with these lights and it works great.

Here's an picture from a few months ago.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Shallow posted:

So the water is actually colourless and it's the foliage that's providing the green? It's incorrect assumptions day for me.

You are (in)correct!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Aegoceros posted:

My question is if any of you much better painters have any idea how to get that kind of green? I have access to Citadel, Vallejo, and P3 easily, so whatever mix would work.

Many thanks in advance, and Death to the False Emperor.

It's actually pretty close to the kinds of teal/turquoise that my case painting was. If you check a few pages back, you'll see what I mean. Looks like you can get the effect you are looking for with trollblood base and a bit of hawk turquoise mixed in, maybe 3:1, then highlight with trollblood base, then highlight with underbelly blue/trollblood base 1:1. You may want PV to look over what I'm talking about before committing to it, because whereas I believe I know what I'm talking about, he actually does. :v:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Nice Ikea display cabinet on sale for 60$.

I use it with these lights and it works great.

Here's an picture from a few months ago.

I'm probably going to get this one Wednesday:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00093136

My current organization method of "random poo poo in ramdom GW boxes" just isn't cutting it anymore.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My current organization method of "random poo poo in ramdom GW boxes" just isn't cutting it anymore.

Thanks for linking this one man, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, to put in my nerd den once I move. The other one is nice but had so much wasted vertical space.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Detolf has a lot of wasted vertical space, but the Bertby is less money efficient - about 3 square inches less per dollar.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I play warhammer space dollies, "money efficient" is not in my vocabulary.

Aegoceros
Jan 28, 2010

Terror dwelling in the secret place of life, that which is without form taking to itself a form. Can it be that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing?

Sole.Sushi posted:

It's actually pretty close to the kinds of teal/turquoise that my case painting was. If you check a few pages back, you'll see what I mean. Looks like you can get the effect you are looking for with trollblood base and a bit of hawk turquoise mixed in, maybe 3:1, then highlight with trollblood base, then highlight with underbelly blue/trollblood base 1:1. You may want PV to look over what I'm talking about before committing to it, because whereas I believe I know what I'm talking about, he actually does. :v:

I saw that case earlier today. Not sure why I didn't think of that when I'm posting in the same thread.

I was staring at the colors/what I have a bit, and it looks more than a bit like Vallejo Foul Green would be a pretty good go at that color.

Also, I am totally stealing your rust recipe for my Rhinos.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Aegoceros posted:

I saw that case earlier today. Not sure why I didn't think of that when I'm posting in the same thread.

I was staring at the colors/what I have a bit, and it looks more than a bit like Vallejo Foul Green would be a pretty good go at that color.

Also, I am totally stealing your rust recipe for my Rhinos.

I don't have any VGC or VMC, so I couldn't tell you if Vallejo Foul Green would work, but have at it with the rust. :respek:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

Thanks for linking this one man, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, to put in my nerd den once I move. The other one is nice but had so much wasted vertical space.

I'm actually planning on rigging up some half-shelves to go in between the others, to give it more shelve space.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
a great display option for cheap is to go to one of those hodgepodge auction houses that specialize in liquidating people's garbage and bidding on a lawyers/legal bookcase

basically a bunch of shelves with glass doors on the front that swing up and slide back in like a garage door.

I got one intact that was probably a couple hundred dollars when it was new for ~50 bucks. the best part about these auction places is that even if you don't see exactly what you need there is a million other things that will do the job and can be yours if you are willing to outbid a couple hoarders looking to score more useless furniture on the cheap.

Aetilus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 8, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I wish there was a freestanding version of this rather than one that needs to be fixed to the wall.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I wish there was a freestanding version of this rather than one that needs to be fixed to the wall.

I have a freestanding case that looks very similar, its kind of inbetween that and the glass case posted earlier in terms of size. I managed to find it on the site

It's a little more expensive that the all-glass case, but the shelf height is better. The downside is that its not well lit, so you would either need to install a push-light or something, or settle for your nerd trophies being less illuminated.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

In the US that cabinet is a shoe-holder.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Detolf has a lot of wasted vertical space, but the Bertby is less money efficient - about 3 square inches less per dollar.

This can easily be fixed by getting a few acrylic risers from retail display sellers. When mine fills up some more, I'm going to get a size that creates another "shelf" on each level, set back and a little less than halfway up each shelf. They will need some non slip strips on the bottom, as I find that opening / closing the door on the thing makes my mens jitter around like mad.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Aegoceros posted:

So, I'm getting back around to painting my Plague Marines, and I came across this really excellent green in the White Dwarf Archive of the Chaos Space Marine Tactica

https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m230019a_Chaos_Space_Marine_Tactica

Here is an image crop of the dude in question:

My question is if any of you much better painters have any idea how to get that kind of green? I have access to Citadel, Vallejo, and P3 easily, so whatever mix would work.

Many thanks in advance, and Death to the False Emperor.

Its definitely not a paint you will find in a bottle, but if you mix snot/iosan/sick green with white or MWH, then add a touch of a blue tone like trollblood base or shadow grey I THINK that would do it.

Probably just mix up with MWH for highlights, it looks pretty creamy

Aegoceros
Jan 28, 2010

Terror dwelling in the secret place of life, that which is without form taking to itself a form. Can it be that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing?

PaintVagrant posted:

Its definitely not a paint you will find in a bottle, but if you mix snot/iosan/sick green with white or MWH, then add a touch of a blue tone like trollblood base or shadow grey I THINK that would do it.

Probably just mix up with MWH for highlights, it looks pretty creamy

I did a test swab before bed last night to see how this would dry, and I think you are right. The foul/sick green needs a touch of blue and a bit of lightening. I'll be paintsperimenting later this afternoon, so we'll see how it goes. :)

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Landing craft style Trukk conversion; proof of concept. None of the main components are glued in place, so it's not beyond the point of no return if you guys think it looks poo poo. Do people like/dislike?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I like it but maybe some taller walls on the side? Might need to grab that sheet plastic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You might have some annoyance with the gunner trying to see poo poo but it looks good otherwise.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

NecronSchmecron posted:

I like it but maybe some taller walls on the side? Might need to grab that sheet plastic.

Yeah, that's something I have planned already. I also think I'll combine the two ramps into one large one (and cut it down to a shorter length), if it'll allow me. Someone in the other thread mentioned the cab could be raised a bit, so I'll put some plasticard under it to do that.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Basing Question!

For my Space Crusade minis, I was thinking of doing the bases up like metal corridors. My plan is thus: Cut out circles of plasticard to match the tops of the bases, cut them into uneven quarters at right angles and sand the edges so that there's a bit of a gap between the tiles. Then they'd be painted black undercoat, gunmetal on the tiles, badab black over that. Top-down it should look a bit like this, only not crappy:

Is this a mad plan, or does it have a chance of working?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sounds like it would work to me. I did something sort of like that, except with layers, on my inf nomads (the pic sucks, sorry)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sounds about right. When I ever get around doing an army with tech bases, I think I'm going to follow this tutorial:

http://thefortressmonastery.blogspot.com/2009/09/all-your-base-space-hulk-themed.html

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Awesome stuff. I'll probably do some hazard stripes on some of the tiles, blood splatters, grime like in that tutorial and similar little details to make the bases more interesting. Or at least, what I can do with the starter paint set plus a couple washes and one sheet of plasticard. I haven't done anything of this sort in over a decade, so I don't want to get too fancy.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Captain Hats posted:

..I don't want to get too fancy.

To hell with that, throw yourself into it :D

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Aside from a few touchups and bits i've forgotten to paint that I've noticed in the photos this guy is done. If anyone remembers I've been painting models and doing a new technique on each one to try and teach myself all the gimmicks and whizbangs that you good painters use.

Tried NMM for the first time, some bits worked and some didnt. If I did it again I think I could do everything a bit better but it really was excellent practice for blending so it was worth all the effort. I do the cheaty method on gems so they'll get the shine when its varnished.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats really solid for a first attempt, NMM gold is hard

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats really solid for a first attempt, NMM gold is hard

Tell me about it. The silver halo by comparison was just so easy.

The hardest thing I found was actually getting it to look, you know, gold. Once I figured out that the fake shine was all down to contrasts that bit got easier, but getting it to look gold was a excercise in frustration and many many different wash mixes.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Seriously that model looks great and you are a great person for painting it that well.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

FractionMan posted:

Yeah, that's something I have planned already. I also think I'll combine the two ramps into one large one (and cut it down to a shorter length), if it'll allow me. Someone in the other thread mentioned the cab could be raised a bit, so I'll put some plasticard under it to do that.

I'd be careful cutting the ramp shorter, you don't want it too short. Is there any way you can lower the body of the trukk? Particularly if you're going to raise the sides/cab - it might look a bit top heavy, plus modelling for disadvantage. Hell, even if you just cut holes in the floor and drop it over the wheels, I think it would look suitably orky.

edit: Bhyo, that Sanguinor looks awesome.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
QUESTION: If i wanted to convert a typical tamiya/dragon scale CAR model (not a tank) into a warhammer vehicle, what would be the best scale? Seeing as it will be Orks, it can be a little on the large side to accomadate the Orks having built it to their size. Something around Trukk size would be good.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Tentacle Party posted:

QUESTION: If i wanted to convert a typical tamiya/dragon scale CAR model (not a tank) into a warhammer vehicle, what would be the best scale? Seeing as it will be Orks, it can be a little on the large side to accomadate the Orks having built it to their size. Something around Trukk size would be good.

You're turning a Hummer into a Trukk, aren't you?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tentacle Party posted:

1:35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Sole.Sushi posted:

You're turning a Hummer into a Trukk, aren't you?

I would have to be MAD...

edit- well I could only find a diecast version of what i wanted, but I have found the printable PAPER MODEL in 1:20. So screw it, it will be a bit big, but paper will be awesome to make the right sized plasticard panels!

Oh wait, maybe I can scale it down at the printer/gimp???

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 9, 2010

• Locked thread