Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

RealKyleH posted:

Id prefer a festiva powered air compressor.

Compressed air powered festiva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

oxbrain posted:

I'll be interested to know how long it takes to fill the tank from empty now and several months from now.

Definitely don't use PVC for compressed air. The pressure fluctuations work harden it and it will eventually split open. Black iron pipe is cheaper, easier to assemble, and will help cool the air.

Yep. I'm not even going to go there - bad idea. I looked at black iron pipe at Home Depot tonight and went to Northern Tools to look at the IR brand 1/2 in line dryers and filters, and flexible 2000 PSI hydraulic hose for the tank lead.

If i'm not going to be painting with this unit, and using it for media blasting and running impacts, should I buy the single IR brand dryer/filter or two?

Heck, at this rate, there almost needs to be a compressed air thread.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 9, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

RealKyleH posted:

Id prefer a festiva powered air compressor.

Oilless $129 compressors are faster.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Baby Hitler posted:

yeah, festivas just leak all the oil out anyways.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

R-Type posted:

Yep. I'm not even going to go there - bad idea. I looked at black iron pipe at Home Depot tonight and went to Northern Tools to look at the IR brand 1/2 in line dryers and filters, and flexible 2000 PSI hydraulic hose for the tank lead.

The only times you need a line dryer are if you are painting and can't have any moisture in the line, and when you're way overworking your compressor. Crap compressors will put more heat into the air than better compressors, and too small of a tank means not enough time for the air to cool.

Tools can handle moisture just fine if they're kept oiled. Keep a tool oil dropper next to the tools and get in the habit of putting in a couple drops before each use.

Since you're running pipe you can build in a moisture trap. Run the long lengths of pipe at a slight angle so condensation can drain forward. At the end, run a vertical section maybe a foot below and at least a couple inches above, with valves on each end. Air hose connects to the top, water collects in the lower section and is easily drained.

Baby Hitler posted:

Our oilless festiva ran longer than most oilless compressors.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ab0z posted:

Compressed air powered festiva
Compressed air powered Festiva air compressor. gently caress you and your laws of thermodynamics.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004
My 3/8 ratchet calfed and I needed a quick replacement until I can get it returned on warranty, so I picked up this for $10 today. http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Black-Decker-Black-Decker-RCT100-3-8-Tri-Ratchet Has anyone ever bought one of these before? The twist ratchet on it looks like it could be really useful, but it's black and decker so I'm very unsure of the quality. The handle also comes off and it can be used in a drill, even though a drill doesnt have nearly enough torque to accomplish anything.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

zifflol posted:

My 3/8 ratchet calfed and I needed a quick replacement until I can get it returned on warranty, so I picked up this for $10 today. http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Black-Decker-Black-Decker-RCT100-3-8-Tri-Ratchet Has anyone ever bought one of these before? The twist ratchet on it looks like it could be really useful, but it's black and decker so I'm very unsure of the quality. The handle also comes off and it can be used in a drill, even though a drill doesnt have nearly enough torque to accomplish anything.

This tool sounds too functional to be good. Waiting to see how this works out.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

frozenphil posted:

Don't spend money on a welder if its name isn't Lincoln, Miller, or possibly Hobart; not if you want to weld with it anyway.

Bullshit, Panasonic puts all them to shame.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I thought this thread was about hobbyist tools, not industrial robots.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Splizwarf posted:

This tool sounds too functional to be good. Waiting to see how this works out.

I have a unit similar to this from mastercraft, the canadian tire brand.

The handle pulls out and there are two elbow joints in it so you can turn it like a crank. Or just leave it locked in and twist the handle either way and make it turn the way you want.

It's slick as hell and I use it all the time. Great for tight spaces.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

Slung Blade posted:

I have a unit similar to this from mastercraft, the canadian tire brand.

The handle pulls out and there are two elbow joints in it so you can turn it like a crank. Or just leave it locked in and twist the handle either way and make it turn the way you want.

It's slick as hell and I use it all the time. Great for tight spaces.

I have a Blackhawk version. In my head it's super useful, but I haven't made use of the handle twist feature too often. The ratchet is really nice though, and I use it all the time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've got some bolts that hold my headlights in that are a total pain in the rear end to get to, so when I was a courier (and changing my bulbs every couple of months) it was super handy to have.

I still use it all the time.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What Panasonic do you use? Gunslinger?

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

To the guys that do TIG Welding, what's your opinion on the Miller Diversion 180. After reading a few Welding forums they seem to tell everyone to go for the slightly more expensive Syncrowave 200, (extra $200 typically) but that's 230V only; not something I have handy. Some of the posters in those forums went on about control, making the 180' sound like something more of a toy. As far as I understand the higher voltage main just gives the capacity for high amp delivery permitting the operator to do thicker materials, but 1/4" plate isn't something I find myself working with. So is the Diversion 180 a decent package, or is it something of a joke - like exercise equipment for middle-aged women?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I cant speak to the exact differences between the models, having never used either, but the syncrowave does have a few advantages. A big one is controllable pulse settings, which can make your life a whole lot easier. Being able to weld stick is a nice plus too. If you can get the power run, drop a little extra on the syncrowave. You want 230V anyways. Then you can start saving for a better torch and water-cooled rig.

Edit: I would also be inclined to buy used. Its a great way to either save money, or get a lot more machine for your money. Also, your can usually score a tank and other bits with the machine. Like this.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/1785153244.html

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 11, 2010

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What's a good torch for heating up seized bolts?

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I've had great luck just using a propane torch. Cheap fuel, cheap torch (usually you can get them as a kit for $18). Is there some particular catch that complicates using a certain kind of torch?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

FormulaXFD posted:

I've had great luck just using a propane torch. Cheap fuel, cheap torch (usually you can get them as a kit for $18). Is there some particular catch that complicates using a certain kind of torch?

Space I suppose. One of my future jobs include replacing my exhaust manifold. I'm not pulling the motor for that poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What is the general thought on this particular welder

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-94056.html

I don't plan to build ships. More or less its just going to be a hobby welder, my wife and I are getting crafty with wood, and really want to step it up a notch and do some metal sculpture work. Mostly just using random pieces of metal, scrap yard finds and the like. I won't use it every day, more or less a couple of times a month mostly on the weekends.

Plus I just got a coupon in the mail from HF, the welder is only 89 bucks!

I wanted to thank this thread for my new found love for cheap 1 time use tools I have purchased at HF. No more chasing a truck for tools.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-94056.html

I don't plan to build ships. More or less its just going to be a hobby welder, my wife and I are getting crafty with wood, and really want to step it up a notch and do some metal sculpture work. Mostly just using random pieces of metal, scrap yard finds and the like. I won't use it every day, more or less a couple of times a month mostly on the weekends.

I wanted to thank this thread for my new found love for cheap 1 time use tools I have purchased at HF. No more chasing a truck for tools.

It's a horrible piece of poo poo but it will probably do what you want a few times anyway.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Don't bother.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

RealKyleH posted:

Don't bother.

Thanks! Thats what I wanted to hear. Any better suggestions? I'm limited to 110, and a budget of about 300. Any good suggestions? I am leaning towards mig, but stick is find as well.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If you have to go cheap, stick is probably a better choice in my opinion.

No moving parts to break, and they're pretty simple.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I peronally hate stick and flux and only like welding with gas. Thats certainly a more expensive setup though. Not sure whats out there as far as 110V welders.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

As others have said, you'd be better off with a Radio Shack soldering gun and a stick of butter.

Seriously my neighbor bought the best one they had, it quite literally couldn't join 1/16" mild steel on its highest settings.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

astrollinthepork posted:

What's a good torch for heating up seized bolts?

The bernz-o-matic clicky wand. TS4000? I don't know. It's black with brass fittings, a red knob and a stainless gas pipe. Screw a propane or MAPP canister directly into the bottom, turn the knob to ON, then depress it twice. You might need MAPP for your exhaust bolts, i've used propane for suspension bolts, stuck flare nuts in a brake cylinder and a harmonic balancer.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

RealKyleH posted:

I peronally hate stick and flux and only like welding with gas. Thats certainly a more expensive setup though. Not sure whats out there as far as 110V welders.

Yeah but you're a machinist at heart. You guys are anal about everything.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Is there such a thing as a cheap yet decent 240V welder?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

grover posted:

Craigslist.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

grover posted:

Which process?

(ps the answer is no)

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Skyssx posted:

The bernz-o-matic clicky wand. TS4000? I don't know. It's black with brass fittings, a red knob and a stainless gas pipe. Screw a propane or MAPP canister directly into the bottom, turn the knob to ON, then depress it twice. You might need MAPP for your exhaust bolts, i've used propane for suspension bolts, stuck flare nuts in a brake cylinder and a harmonic balancer.

Awesome, first hand experience. Thank you!

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

FormulaXFD posted:

To the guys that do TIG Welding, what's your opinion on the Miller Diversion 180. After reading a few Welding forums they seem to tell everyone to go for the slightly more expensive Syncrowave 200, (extra $200 typically) but that's 230V only; not something I have handy. Some of the posters in those forums went on about control, making the 180' sound like something more of a toy. As far as I understand the higher voltage main just gives the capacity for high amp delivery permitting the operator to do thicker materials, but 1/4" plate isn't something I find myself working with. So is the Diversion 180 a decent package, or is it something of a joke - like exercise equipment for middle-aged women?

If you run 230v to it I would get the syncrowave. Having the options of being able to stick weld and have a watercooler seem like a big selling point to me. I haven't used them however. I've only used the Dynasty 200 and 300. Pulse control is nice too have too, especially if you're going to be welding aluminum.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Another for the don't bother crowd. I used my friends to weld up a prerunner bumper on his ranger, it barely got the job done. It was a huge pain in the rear end and messy as hell. I had to have it on the highest setting and go really slow to get any penetration. The thickest part was some 1/8" that I had to do a couple fillet passes on to make sure it was strong enough.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

frozenphil posted:

I thought this thread was about hobbyist tools, not industrial robots.

BigKOfJustice posted:

What Panasonic do you use? Gunslinger?

yup. At the time our head welder went to Miller, hosed with a few parts and set up something that could almost do what the Gunslinger did. Now as far as I know it took them years later to get something to weld like the Panasonic, but it costs around 3x as much. There was a time where we could get these things on ebay for around 1700 dollars, now I think they float around 2400.
I know of an owner of a fabrication school that is sponsored by Miller, he has Miller all over the school's shop, but his own personal welder at home is a Panasonic.

The main reason for using these welders was for pulse welding. Many people tried to copy the pulse welding the shop I worked for, but their welds were always cold. The Panasonic would throw ungodly amounts of hell at what you were trying to weld while making it buttery smooth at the same time. They did require some tweaking on the pots on the mainboard to do a proper pulse weld. At least that's what I was lead to believe, I never did the new purchase setup.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 12, 2010

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

NinjaTech posted:

If you run 230v to it I would get the syncrowave. Having the options of being able to stick weld and have a watercooler seem like a big selling point to me. I haven't used them however. I've only used the Dynasty 200 and 300. Pulse control is nice too have too, especially if you're going to be welding aluminum.

The 230V issue is what really kills me. When I look at getting a formal shop in two years it won't be a problem. I'll see where to go next once I'm there.

In other news... we all have to start somewhere. :sigh:

I used that thing for about 3 hours today. That pedal feature is wonderful plus the visibility of the puddle is the best I've ever seen.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

FormulaXFD posted:

The 230V issue is what really kills me. When I look at getting a formal shop in two years it won't be a problem. I'll see where to go next once I'm there.

In other news... we all have to start somewhere. :sigh:

I used that thing for about 3 hours today. That pedal feature is wonderful plus the visibility of the puddle is the best I've ever seen.

Did you end up getting the diversion?

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

NinjaTech posted:

Did you end up getting the diversion?

Yeah, I did. The trade-offs between the two tilted the decision to the Diversion. I can't say I'm unhappy with the decision so far.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

grover posted:

Some one told me the other day is to go to auctions at a farmers residence. He said that he picked up an older Forney for 50 bucks with every thing. Clams and cables are perfect, and he purchased a hood and gloves for 5 bucks with it. Looks like I gotta start searching out the papers for some good farm auctions.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Some one told me the other day is to go to auctions at a farmers residence. He said that he picked up an older Forney for 50 bucks with every thing. Clams and cables are perfect, and he purchased a hood and gloves for 5 bucks with it. Looks like I gotta start searching out the papers for some good farm auctions.

The great things about farmers - you don't even need to pay them in cash. Just mention a bunch of other random junk you have and they might say they'll "swap yer fer it" instead.

Doubtful at an auction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
H/F 60 Gal Air Compressor Update:

gently caress me. The compressor has a leaking head gasket discovered after break-in during the initial pressurization test. It's seeping and bubbling air and oil all the way around it. Not only that, It has a knock coming from the pulley side that could be tightened - but I'm not willing to jack with it. This one is going back. HF's been pretty decent on other stuff in my experience; this likely is just a fluke defect, but I've decided I really don't want to be dicking around with compressor issues in the middle of a motorcycle or car project.

I will be picking up one of these from a Tractor Supply in Porter, TX today:
INGERSOLL RAND 60-GALLON AIR COMPRESSOR SS3L3 $599.00
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4YW09

The Granger page is more descriptive. And more costly if purchased there.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/air-compressors/ingersoll-rand-60-gallon-air-compressor-3496111

Northern Tools in my area dosen't stock them, however has 52 of 52 glowing reviews:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_158284_158284

They also sell an IR "Starter Kit" That will extend the manufacturer's warranty. It comes with 4 quarts of IR oil, 2 air filters and a 2 year deed for this model series, $39.00.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_153865_153865

So gently caress me in my goat rear end. I'm taking all the good advice given here from Oxbrain and others and getting a better air rig.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 14, 2010