Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Macrame_God posted:

Good. Maybe now I can watch it without having to switch discs halfway through. :argh:

The Essential Arthouse edition has the whole movie on one disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Macrame_God posted:

Good. Maybe now I can watch it without having to switch discs halfway through. :argh:

At least it's during an actual intermission.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Seven Samurai will need two discs anyways to fit the supplements. Might as well split the movie at the intermission. Criterion would probably make the 2nd disc automatically start on the 2nd part without going through menus.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Annoying Reveler posted:

Is there a reason why they bleep out Jacques Cousteau's name on the Life Aquatic commentary?

If I remember correctly, the issue was that they didn't have Cousteau's life rights (since it wasn't actually a biopic) but Zissou was based enough on Cousteau that the legal team was worried that they'd be opening themselves up to a lawsuit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Breathless coming to Blu-Ray:

Should be new announcements tomorrow. With all the leaks lately, I wouldn't expect too many surprises.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Breathless coming to Blu-Ray:

Should be new announcements tomorrow. With all the leaks lately, I wouldn't expect too many surprises.

gently caress I JUST BOUGHT THE DVD

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

azechiel posted:

gently caress I JUST BOUGHT THE DVD

C'est vraiment dégueulasse.

:woop:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Review of the first disc (i.e., volume 1) of by Brakhage on Blu-Ray. Corpse nudity included.

I just realized this comes out the same day my 80+ year-old father-in-law is arriving for an extended visit. He's a decent guy and all, but somehow I don't think he'd understand "Dog Star Man" or "The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
God, it's like a gallery of images that were cut from Willy Wonka's boat ride.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Janus Films is going to start theatrical re-releases of Chaplin films soon, too.

As lovely Criterion's BluRays will be, I jump at the chance to see City Lights or Modern Times in 35mm.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Janus Films is going to start theatrical re-releases of Chaplin films soon, too.

As lovely Criterion's BluRays will be, I jump at the chance to see City Lights or Modern Times in 35mm.

Kinowelt have already released about 6 of Chaplin's movies (including City Lights/Modern Times) on Blu-Ray over in Germany.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Kinowelt have already released about 6 of Chaplin's movies (including City Lights/Modern Times) on Blu-Ray over in Germany.

Region locked. :(

They're not "great" anyways. I don't think DVNR was used, but the detail looks odd and too low grain. Then again, I still treasure my Image DVDs with windowboxing and the stereo re-recording on City Lights.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I hope the next Barnes and Noble sale happens before my membership expires, I have a lot of stuff I need to buy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They're starting to show up.

#48 - BLACK ORPHEUS (reissue 2-disc DVD/Blu-Ray, Aug 17)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
* Archival interviews with director Marcel Camus and actress Marpessa Dawn
* New video interviews with Brazilian cinema scholar Robert Stam, jazz historian Gary Giddins, and Brazilian author Ruy Castro
* À la recherche d’“Orfeu negro,” a feature-length documentary about Black Orpheus’s cultural and musical roots and its resonance in Brazil today
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Atkinson

FFD take: Good movie, wouldn't buy it but I'd watch it again and check out the extras.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#533 - CRUMB (DVD/Blu-Ray, Aug 10)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Terry Zwigoff, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Two audio commentaries, one from 2010 with Zwigoff, and one from 2006, featuring Zwigoff and critic Roger Ebert
* Outtakes and deleted scenes
* Stills gallery
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

FFD take: Fantastic doc, but I've already seen it, once in the theater and once on DVD. Again, possible rental for the new features.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#534 - L'ENFANCE NUE (DVD, Aug 17)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* L’amour existe, director Maurice Pialat’s 1960 short film about life on the outskirts of Paris
* Choses vues, autour de “L’enfance nue,” a fifty-minute documentary shot just after the film’s release
* Excerpts from a 1973 French television interview with Pialat
* New visual essay by critic Kent Jones on the film and Pialat’s cinematic style
* Video interview with Pialat collaborators Arlette Langmann and Patrick Grandperret
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Phillip Lopate

FFD take: I've got a theme going this month, I guess. Fine movie, but not one I have any desire to own.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#532 - LOUIE BLUIE (DVD, Aug 10)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Terry Zwigoff
* Audio commentary featuring Zwigoff
* Outtakes and deleted scenes
* Illustrations by Howard Armstrong
* Stills gallery
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Sragow

FFD take: Looking forward to checking this out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#528 - THREE SILENT CLASSICS BY JOSEF VON STERNBERG (3-disc DVD box set, Aug 24)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfers
* Six scores: one by Robert Israel for each film; two by the Alloy Orchestra, for Underworld and The Last Command; and a piano and voice piece by Donald Sosin for The Docks of New York
* Two new visual essays: one by UCLA film professor Janet Bergstrom and the other by film scholar Tag Gallagher
* 1968 Swedish television interview with director Josef von Sternberg, covering his entire career
* PLUS: A ninety-six-page booklet featuring essays by film critic Geoffrey O’Brien, film scholar Anton Kaes, and author Luc Sante; the original film treatment for Underworld by Ben Hecht; and an excerpt from Sternberg’s autobiography, Fun in a Chinese Laundry, on Emil Jannings

FFD take: I don't get too excited for von Sternberg, but I generally like his stuff. Definite rental.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 14, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

#532 - LOUIE BLUIE (DVD, Aug 10)

I had no idea this film existed, despite liking Zwigoff's other stuff. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information out there on the web about it, either.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ECLIPSE SERIES 23: THE FIRST FILMS OF AKIRA KUROSAWA

* Sanshiro Sugata
* The Most Beautiful
* Sanshito Sugata, Part Two
* The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail

FFD take: until very recently, I've had a blanket "buy anything Kurosawa, even the ones I don't like" policy. Now that I'm over that, this will probably be a rental, with a possible purchase in the future. These are the only Kurosawa films I've never seen, though, so I'm pretty excited for it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how none of these are the titles that were like a 99% certainty for August.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

I like how none of these are the titles that were like a 99% certainty for August.

The von Sternbergs are.

Overall a pretty decent slate, although I wish there was more that I was really excited about. I guess that'll come next month with Hausu.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Black Orpheus, Crumb, and Louie Bluie are all first day out must buys for me. What great movies.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I think these are all rentals at best, for me. Hopefully the eclipse set will show up on Watch Instantly.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Wow, I'm surprised Crumb is getting a Blu release. I thought it was filmed on tape.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Glad for the Kurosawa boxset, I know Criterion would come through :)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Too bad the Sternbergs are DVD-only (not surprising), but that's awesome that they brought in Robert Israel to score the films.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

While Criterion has yet to release a single Satyajit Ray film, Artificial Eye is on their third VOLUME of them, including Sadgati, one of the two Ray movies I haven't seen yet.

:sigh:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.deepdiscount.com has a 25%-off EXTRA sale going on, but it's also making Criterions almost as cheap as the discounted B&N sale! Best of all, no tax or shipping costs.

Most BluRays are marked down to $22-25. Che is $30 and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set is $42.

Otherwise, they're still about $3 more than the eventual B&N 50%-off sale price, but might break even when the tax and S&H are figured in.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I wish there was more I wanted to buy. I got Le Doulos and a couple of noir titles.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.deepdiscount.com has a 25%-off EXTRA sale going on, but it's also making Criterions almost as cheap as the discounted B&N sale! Best of all, no tax or shipping costs.

Most BluRays are marked down to $22-25. Che is $30 and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set is $42.

Otherwise, they're still about $3 more than the eventual B&N 50%-off sale price, but might break even when the tax and S&H are figured in.

If you bought in store with a member coupon during the B&N sale, the Criterion BD's were $13. Nearly everything I'm searching for on DeepDiscount is $24.

DVDPlanet has really gone downhill too. It seems even with this sale most of the time they only tie amazon's pricing.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

zeroordie posted:

DVDPlanet has really gone downhill too. It seems even with this sale most of the time they only tie amazon's pricing.

Truth. They dropped their Criterions about 2-3 bucks a piece and didn't drop their pre-order items at all. So weak.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

According to people at cf.org, Lee Kline let it slip that they're working on Something Wild and The Darjeeling Limited.

Also, this:

cf.org guy posted:

He said that "The Thin Red Line" will, indeed, be the theatrical cut, with "some deleted scenes," the content of which he didn't seem to specify. Pretty sure he also said it was coming in November.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 9, 2010

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Just got By Brakhage on Blu-ray and ordered For All Mankind. Am excited.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

azechiel posted:

Just got By Brakhage on Blu-ray and ordered For All Mankind. Am excited.

Glad to hear it. Do you have a twitter so we can continue to follow this story as it develops?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

According to people at cf.org, Lee Kline let it slip that they're working on Something Wild and The Darjeeling Limited.

Finally, Jeff Daniels' magnum opus will be in HD.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Glad to hear it. Do you have a twitter so we can continue to follow this story as it develops?

Actually no. I can keep you updated here if you'd like though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Just picked up The Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1954) on Blu-Ray. Had to double-dip :doh:, but I feel like it was worth it (drat you Criterion :argh: ).

Edit: Forgot to say that it goes quite well with the katana sitting above my mantle :D

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mike_V posted:

Just picked up The Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1954) on Blu-Ray. Had to double-dip :doh:, but I feel like it was worth it (drat you Criterion :argh: ).

Edit: Forgot to say that it goes quite well with the katana sitting above my mantle :D

Did you import it? Criterion is definitely going to be upgrading it to Blu, probably this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1487-out-of-print-announcement

Criterion posted:

Dear Criterion collectors,

The following titles are going out of print effective June 30:

Billy Liar
Bob le flambeur
Diary of A Chambermaid
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
The Milky Way
The Phantom of Liberty
That Obscure Object of Desire
Touchez pas au grisbi
A Woman Is a Woman

We will be selling copies only while supplies last, so order yours soon. As ever, we will try to relicense the films so that they can rejoin the collection sometime in the future.

Zoinks. I might have to pick up the Bunuels I don't have (Diary, Phantom, Milky) even though they're not among my favorites. Maybe the Becker and Melville too.