Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

McKracken posted:

About to start Bioshock 2

Anything major I should be aware of?

A couple important things you should know, but play your own way.

-This time around, you can take the little sisters you find to specific splicer corpses and get bonus ADAM from them. HOWEVER, you have to protect the little sister while they do this against enemies that will try to get to her and kill you. Feel free to set up various traps in the area before starting each event. The corpses usually have various chokepoints around them. Invest in Trap Rivets early on, they kill regular splicers instantly when they trip them.
-Seriously. Traps are actually really useful. Not that wind trap power you can get though. Don't bother.
-*You don't have to harvest with the sisters.* If you want to pass up the extra ADAM, just take her to a vent and send her on her merry way.
-Be prepared for a fight when you save/harvest the last little sister in any area. There's a good chance that a big sister will show up and try to ruin your day. Ruin hers with an electrified shotgun shell.
-Saving sisters is obviously the best way to make ADAM and doesn't make you seem like a big jerk.
-When you run into Houdini Splicers, use the research camera every time you fight them. They give you a gene tonic that let's you turn invisible when you research them far enough. It's extremely useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McKracken posted:

About to start Bioshock 2

Anything major I should be aware of?

The plot is, as I've said before The Karate Kid 3 to Karate Kid 1 in terms of cohesiveness and references.

If you want to cheese this game, and by god you should, grab the winters grasp gene as early as possible. With this equipped every single boss fight/big sister/big daddy/that rear end in a top hat that looked at you funny is breeze with winters grasp, drill, freeze, drill, death.

If you are a completionist know that unlike the first game, each level is totally independent of all the others. Therefore once you progress from a level (and you'll know when you have) you can never, ever go back. Keep that in mind if you want everything.

Just like the first game, enemies are assholes and infinitely respawn. Unlike the first game the shotgun remains an absolute wrecking machine throughout. If you want the all good ending, you have to spare every single life you have the option to "not-kill" up until you rescue you're daughter. Yes, that includes the guy who begs for death. After you rescue you're daughter there is no longer a way to save people and everybody has to die to progress.

The best achievement in the game is 9-iron and pretty much the strongest link to the first game that doesn't involve shoehorning new people in. It is unlocked in the Ryan Amusements section. To unlock it Telekinesis the golf-club into the Andrew-Ryan robot's head. The head will pop off and the achievement will unlock.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Since I'm about to finally complete it, more advice for Kingdom Hearts II:

-The game WILL get awesome eventually but the beginning with Roxas is excruciating; I finished it in three hours and that was rushing through everything. MAKE A NEW SAVE FILE ONCE YOU SWITCH TO SORA, so you can start from the end of Roxas' section every time you start a new game.

-It's worth it to level all the forms, as leveling them grants you some great abilities as regular Sora (double jump, dash etc.). Don't be conservative with your Drive, it refills faster than you think and will recharge even faster if you're out of MP. One great trick is that if you use a save point to go to the world map while in a Form, your Drive meter will be completely full once you enter the next world! This will also work if you go to an area in a world where your party members are walking around (usually by save points)

-In fact, here are the best places to level each form:

Valor (red): Gains EXP for hitting enemies. Go anywhere with lots of enemies, preferably on the tough side.

Wisdom (blue): Gains EXP for Heartless kills. In the first half of the last world, weak Heartless spawn infinitely. Spam Fire or Thunder.

Master (yellow): Gains EXP for Drive Orb pickups. Go to the West Wing of Beast's Castle. Run down the small corridor and out into larger hall without killing anything until you get to the section lined with armor statues (right before the door to the entry hall). Drive into Master Form, bust the statues and run and gun your way back to Beast's Room before you revert (if you're quick you can make it and warp out). Alternatively, the rocket carts in Land of Dragons drop Drive Orbs.

Final (white): Gains EXP for Nobody kills. The second half of the last world is all Nobodies, so run around there. There will always be at least one "casual" room as described above, but it moves around depending on how far you've advanced the plot.

-Early on in the last world, you'll have a cutscene battle. After this battle you have a chance of driving into Final Form (white) each time you use a form (the odds increase each time you don't turn Final). Once you do, Final Form is unlocked permanently. Until it is, Forms can only be leveled to 5.

-Orichalcum+ are only used to make the Ultima Weapon. There are only seven in the game but the recipe calls for 13. How is this possible? Get to Synthesis Level 2 and you can use an Energy Crystal to cut synthesis costs in half. They are-
Twilight Town: Sunset Terrace (as Sora)
TWTNW: Right by the gate to the Organization's castle (on a hidden ledge)
Atlantica: Finish all of it (:suicide:)
Olympus: Clear Goddess of Fate Cup
100 Acre Wood: Finish all of it
Space Paranoids: Central Computer Mesa
Moogle Shop: Get one of every material (don't forget to talk to the Moogle again, so it goes in your stockpile!)

-When you go back to Twilight Town as Sora near the end of the game, be sure to explore every nook and cranny for some valuable treasure. The Ultima Weapon recipe is found here, as well as one of the Orichalcum+s needed to make it.

-Don't be afraid to skip cutscenes. If it involves a Disney character other than Mickey, nothing is happening.

-Sephiroth is even harder in this game. One trick is to time a Curaga when he uses Heartless Angel such that you get healed immediately after it hits you. You at least get something for beating him this time.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 2, 2010

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

How much cash did you get from that? I remember I found the Chop Shop that wanted an ambulance, so I called 911 in front of the shop, waited until the ambulance stopped, and took it right over to the shop. You could keep doing that as long as you wanted.

It has been way too long for me to remember, but some achievement guide I checked says you get between $4,000 and $12,000K each time one gets exploded. A different guide I checked says you get $1,000 for the Ambulance at the chop shop.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Does anyone have some (more) advice about Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura? Even starting off seems somewhat overwhelming.

I made an Elf only child hoping to either become a Battle-Mage or a Thief-Mage but there are 16 spell schools dozens of skills and stats to put my measly 5 character points in to.

Which spell schools are the most useful? Conveyance and Time seem like they have the best long-term benefits but both of the necromantic schools seem pretty useful also. Should I be investing at all in backstab/pick lock? Or would I be better off trying to pump Constitution/Strength/Willpower and try to melee my way through the game while throwing out direct damage spells left and right.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FriggenJ posted:

Does anyone have some (more) advice about Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura? Even starting off seems somewhat overwhelming.

I made an Elf only child hoping to either become a Battle-Mage or a Thief-Mage but there are 16 spell schools dozens of skills and stats to put my measly 5 character points in to.

Which spell schools are the most useful? Conveyance and Time seem like they have the best long-term benefits but both of the necromantic schools seem pretty useful also. Should I be investing at all in backstab/pick lock? Or would I be better off trying to pump Constitution/Strength/Willpower and try to melee my way through the game while throwing out direct damage spells left and right.

Invest in harm -> win game.

We really need to prioritize what gets updated in the Wiki because Arcanum posts are about once every three pages.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Invest in harm -> win game.

We really need to prioritize what gets updated in the Wiki because Arcanum posts are about once every three pages.

And patch the game, it crashes when you hit level 50. And entering a certain special portal gives you experience... Goddamnit. I was so close to beating this game (and I thought I patched it). At least its got great replay value.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
What about all the other spell schools, is it worth investing in anti-magic or any of the elemental ones?

Also, is making a fighter/mage too much of a point spread given the limited amount of character points you get through the game? (I assume you need Dex, Str, End, and WP close-ish to 20)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Anyone have advice for the original Shin Megami Tensei? I know there is a megathread but I don't want to stumble across spoilers and stuff about the other games in the series by accident...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SpazmasterX posted:

A couple important things you should know, but play your own way.

-Seriously. Traps are actually really useful. Not that wind trap power you can get though. Don't bother.

Honestly, I liked the wind trap power this time round. Level 1 is okay, but when its level 2 you can charge up the trap with another plasmid, so as well as throwing them in to the air it electrocutes them/sets them on fire/holds them suspended/covers them with bees/whatever. Although level 3 which lets you set them on the walls and ceiling is totally pointless.

If you are defending a little sister, before you put her down cover the drat room in trap rivets/proximity grenades (you can pick up the ones that dont get set off afterwards), set wind traps in any water and charge it with electricity, traps in oil get charged with fire, and personally I just like covering everyone with bees because I find it hilarious.

They did a decent job this time around of making sure most of the powers are useable, so dont worry about it too much, just buy/upgrade the ones you like. The only ones I found totally useless were Scout and Hypnosis. I'd also buy and upgrade to level 2 the security alert plasmid, being able to summon friendly bots at will is fantastic.

I would buy plasmid slots/gene tonic slots whenever you can, you get a load of the good tonics from research (as soon as you get the camera research EVERYTHING) or just through the game giving them too you, particularly if you are saving the little sisters.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

FriggenJ posted:

What about all the other spell schools, is it worth investing in anti-magic or any of the elemental ones?

Also, is making a fighter/mage too much of a point spread given the limited amount of character points you get through the game? (I assume you need Dex, Str, End, and WP close-ish to 20)

I've written a ton of poo poo about Arcanum in this thread, so if you filter for my posts you should be able to find it all.

As far as magic goes, the best spell schools (in my opinion) are:
- Black Necromantic. Always a good offensive school. Harm and Create Undead are pretty effective when you're still weak.
- Conveyance. This is essential for a lot of people because of Teleport, but I've never found it that worthwhile, just because of all the other useless spells you need to invest in to get there. Still, if you go this route Disarm can be very useful.
- Force. Another good offensive school, with a lot of variety.
- Phantasm. Good choice if you're playing as a thief, since it has Invisibility. Blur Sight and Phantasmal Fiend are also pretty good, but on the whole this isn't a great one for fighter/mages.
- Summoning. The third good offensive school, but I always find myself investing in one of the other two as back up in case the enemy breaks through my summons.
- Temporal. Works best with a mid- to large-sized party, but the slow effects are great.

Fighter/mages are viable, but be sure not to waste too many points on spells. Like, pick 1-2 (3, tops) spell schools you're going to pursue and max them out, then devote the rest of your CPs to things like WP/IN/Fatigue. Ideally, you'll have a larger party who can handle melee combat while you're weak at lower levels, and then by the time your combat abilities catch up to your magic ones you should be fine. And if you do go the f/m route, DX is essential, as is ST so you can use all the heavy weapons and armor, but check what the bare minimum scores need to be (say, 12 ST to wear most armor) and try not to increase those attributes beyond that because your focus should really be on increasing your fatigue and your IN/WP.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 2, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bellmaker posted:

Anyone have advice for the original Shin Megami Tensei? I know there is a megathread but I don't want to stumble across spoilers and stuff about the other games in the series by accident...

Demons don't level up, and you can't fuse anything higher level than you.

Also alignment matters. You can't even SUMMON things that aren't aligned with you.

You can't buy guns at the shop in the very first ward with the translation patch on, and if you don't get them there you may not be able to later in the game. If you take it off, you can buy them the first time, then you can put it back on and you're set.

Swords are better, though.

And just walking around and fighting will chaosify your alignment-o-meter over time, even after the point where your alignment is supposedly fixed. Yeah, the translation patch had some bad bugs left in it; I don't think they could have fit in anything cleaner, though. Protip: If you're going for the neutral ending, take down the Chaos side first or the game could become unwinnable. (Trust me; you'll know when.) There's also Law and Chaos endings, which are pretty straightforward (and you'll be able to figure those out when you get to them).

Status effects work a lot more reliably than in other RPGs. And you'll probably need to use them, and figure out counters to them.

Marin Karin and Magic Bullets can charm your enemies. Combined with the information above... it's not quite a 'SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI IS OVER' button, but it pretty much wraps up everything in the game except for boss fights.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 3, 2010

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Elswyyr posted:

Does anyone have anything for Majora's Mask? I just picked it up on VC, and I wanted to know if there's anything I should know.
All of the good suggestions have been given out already, but something that I'd suggest is that if you're going for 100% hearts, then you'll really want to keep close track of which ones you've gotten for late game collect-a-thon. A lot of the hearts are tracked by the Bomber's notebook, but just as many are random treasures, and since everything gets undone when you reset time, the puzzles and quests that gave you the hearts are reset as well. And there are a lot of hearts.

The gist of this comes from my personal experience, where I drove myself insane trying to track down one final heart piece, and gamefaqs didn't help because I couldn't remember all the hearts I'd already found. Don't let that happen to you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Riversideblues posted:

I'm about to play the snes game that had always alluded me, sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread but can anyone give me a rundown of Secret Of Mana??

(Why does a bar go from 0-100% when I swing my sword?)

- The bar represents your swing strength. When you attack, it empties, and quickly refills. Basically, unless you HAVE to hit something, maybe to hiccup it, only attack when you are at 100%. The same bar also manages your dash, so make sure you don't get caught in a corner after an attack with no way to run.

- Never buy anything from Neko unless you are in dire straights. He overcharges for everything, and you can get anything he offers from the current town.

- Don't forget the Magic Rope. It makes the exit from some places very simple, especially in emergencies.

- Offensive spells stack. Meaning, you can get back into the magic menu before the monster reacts to the previous spell, and before the damage pops up. Spamming spells will add up, and eventually, when you stop, all the damage comes in a massive burst. This is almost always the best method of boss killing.

- With a few exceptions, all of the buff spells are downright useless. They last for far too short of a duration, and don't make that much of a difference to justify the MP spent. Blast something instead.

- The elemental weapon spells can be quite useful, especially in certain areas (the crystal forest comes to mind). In addition to increasing damage done to enemies weak to that element, they can cause status effects, such as setting aflame or turning into a snowman.

- As far as weapons go, using them increases your skill with them. You can charge up your weapon to the level of skill you possess with it. Problem is, most of the higher level charges are not worth the incredibly long time it takes to ready them. You usually won't go above a 4th level charge attack.

- In the ACT menu, you can set the maximum level that you can charge your weapon attacks to. Do this on your AI partners, as otherwise they will spend half the fight doing nothing but charging, only to totally whiff their big bad double spin jump slash.

- Pick two weapons you like, and stick with them. Same for the AI. There are 8 in the game, and some enemies are more susceptible to certain ones. If you use only 6, you will always have any situation under control. This also helps to make sure you reach the max weapon level with those weapons. If you need to control a specific weapon for some reason (for shooting something behind a barrier that your AI won't attack, for instance), switch who you are controlling, not the weapon you are using.

- There a few areas of the game that just flat out suck. Be prepared for the Upperland, the Promised Land (I think it's called that), and the desert. Oh god the desert. Don't get frustrated, and just keep your head.

- Expect to die on bosses, at least until you get the majority of your magic. Once you learn their attack patterns, you'll be fine. A glaring example is Spiky Tiger in a certain castle. He will do all kinds of crazy poo poo, like roll around super fast, and pin someone down and gnaw the poo poo out of them, doing massive damage. One of the harder bosses I can remember.

That's all I can think of for now.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Hope you like grinding.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Secret of Mana- Before you enter the Pure Land, walk around the perimeter of the last area. Neko's hiding there and is selling crucial armor upgrades. It makes a huge difference in the next area. You won't die at the first encounter huge.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Marin Karin and Magic Bullets can charm your enemies. Combined with the information above... it's not quite a 'SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI IS OVER' button, but it pretty much wraps up everything in the game except for boss fights.

On the other hand a bunch of the bosses ARE NOT immune to charm.
Why yes, Thor, keep hitting yourself with Mjolnir. Yes.

Also, other than SMT2 and (maybe) Imagine, there aren't really that many ties from SMT1 to the rest of the series. That is not true for SMT2, though

First Raidou game making HEAVY SMT2 references, arguably Hijiri in Nocturne, the assorted references of the archangels in DDS...

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 3, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bellmaker posted:

The Law Hero and Chaos Hero aren't permanent companions. You shouldn't neglect them, but don't get too attached to them either.

If you go exploring places out of order, you may find the "gushing jar" prematurely. Having it in your inventory, a certain character will refuse to talk to you before you get rid of it. You can just sell it in one of the shops, because the item will just respawn in it's original location.

Near the city you start in there is this red building, I believe it's referred to as a demon mansion. When you first gain acces to it you'll quickly find out you are way too underpowered for the enemies there. However with some luck (or even better: save states) and timely retreating, you can beat them. This will earn you massive XP and maybe even weapons you shouldn't have access to yet. It's worth giving a shot.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Palleon posted:

I just grabbed Sins of a Solar Empire from Impulse for 4 bucks after it was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'm wondering if anyone has any more general advice, and which race is easiest to play as, because I'm really, really bad at it.

I had a similar problem with Sins the first time I played and gave up on it. Then a few weeks later I picked it up again and I focused on defenses (hangar defense is awesome early on), teching up to increase my number of capital ships, and then just blitzing systems with a good mix of capital ships. Each new planet gets a well-placed star base, hangar defense, and a repair station so I can heal up for the next conquest. It takes some micromanagement to keep your capital ships alive and you need to employ hit and run tactics until you take out defenses or enemy capital ships, but it seems to work well for me. I play on normal difficulty, btw.

An important thing to do is to save credits and after you hear pirates are going to invade, make sure you raise someone else's bounty higher than yours before they launch. If you're smart about sending pirates after other empires, you can weaken them quite effectively. You can also time your invasions of their planets for just after the pirates arrive, which can give you the time to target static defenses without being harassed by their fleet. You can turn off pirates, too, but if you can pay attention to them they're more of an opportunity than a burden.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

Barudak posted:

Sup Blazblue as the diving in point buddy.

Okay, basics

1) Every character plays differently. I know thats a no-duh moment but they really do and their Drive attacks A on 360 X on PS3 are all completely different from one another.

2) This means take all the characters for a thorough spin in training mode until you find the character whose style fits yours. The easiest characters to start off with are probably Jin, Ragna, Noel, and V-13.

3) Once you have a character, learn their moves. I don't just mean learn what they do I mean learn when to use them, how to use them, and what situations they can go together. This will come in time, but also try to be able to reliably do the inputs.

Slightly More Advanced:

1) Don't be afraid to play online, its how you get good. Keep in mind that I hate learning, and in fact did not learn, complex 14 hit combos with my preferred and I still logged in 30+ online hours and hit level 50 online.

2) We can give you more personalized advice once you've decided on a character. if you want a general rundown on what each one excels at, ask.

Sorry for the late reply but so far my favourite characters are Tao, Tager and Ragna. I tried shishigami or whatever and i really couldnt get the hang of him at all, same goes for litchi. Also i'd like to know why after completing some story modes it says ive still got some left to do even though i just played through it normally. Thanks for the thorough reply, dude.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

adocious posted:

I had a similar problem with Sins the first time I played and gave up on it. Then a few weeks later I picked it up again and I focused on defenses (hangar defense is awesome early on), teching up to increase my number of capital ships, and then just blitzing systems with a good mix of capital ships. Each new planet gets a well-placed star base, hangar defense, and a repair station so I can heal up for the next conquest. It takes some micromanagement to keep your capital ships alive and you need to employ hit and run tactics until you take out defenses or enemy capital ships, but it seems to work well for me. I play on normal difficulty, btw.

An important thing to do is to save credits and after you hear pirates are going to invade, make sure you raise someone else's bounty higher than yours before they launch. If you're smart about sending pirates after other empires, you can weaken them quite effectively. You can also time your invasions of their planets for just after the pirates arrive, which can give you the time to target static defenses without being harassed by their fleet. You can turn off pirates, too, but if you can pay attention to them they're more of an opportunity than a burden.

Ironically the more enemy players there are in Sins, the easier it gets. If there's only one enemy player, it's quite hard. But if there's two or more, they'll spend some time attacking each other rather than always sending ridiculous fleets after you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kid Moe posted:

Sorry for the late reply but so far my favourite characters are Tao, Tager and Ragna. I tried shishigami or whatever and i really couldnt get the hang of him at all, same goes for litchi. Also i'd like to know why after completing some story modes it says ive still got some left to do even though i just played through it normally. Thanks for the thorough reply, dude.

Most story modes, stupidly enough, require you to lose at each fight. When you complete them all 100% you unlock the actual plot of the game which is a Rashomon mish-mash of a bunch of the stories.

Bang Shishigami is pretty difficult as a character anyway, although goddamned hilarious when you pull of his super as the music for the stage changes to a Cheese-Rock anime opening theme.

Litchi is a lockdown character, trapping you in a corner and punishing escape attempts or turtling, who for some stupid reason requires learning really long attack strings as her actual lockdown moves don't deal enough damage/take to long to come out.

Ragna is you're protypical bum-rush fighting game rear end in a top hat. A ton of your moves have insane priority and anything that uses the Drive button heals you. For Ragna its a good idea to learn how to chain together his combos moves as he can launch into more of them really easily. Learn how to reliably pull of that dash-forward stab move he has. He hits hard with normal blows so memorizing complicated combo strings isn't particularly essential and he is pretty easy to wreck unaware people online with.

Tager is, honestly, either the easiest or hardest character to play as. His throws are utterrly devestating, and online its often impossible due to lag to break out from them. Keep in mind the Atomic Sledge attack ignores projectiles and has pretty high priority. Don't be afraid to close distance with it. His drive technique, magnetism, is with practice all but a garaunteed win in online if your opponent can't break throws. They keep getting sucked back to you and you keep throwing them. Keep in mind he has no air dash, is slow as poo poo, and doesn't exactly combo so great. against V-13 you're likely going to lose as that match up is bullllsshiiitttt.

Tao is, well, a mix-up character. To play her most effectively get used to learning long, long combo strings as her attacks to poo poo damage. Keep in mind that each of the buttons you use with the Tao projectile attack produce projectiles that behave differently. Her drive button lets her fly around the screen, and holding down on the d-pad lets her crawl under a bunch of moves including almost all of Jin's attacks, including his ice-car. Keep in mind that as Tao if you become predictable, you get dead. Do the same thing three times in a row and you should expect your opponent to unleash rape on your face since she doesn't have a lot of health.

If you're really fresh to fighting games and think you might someday want to dabble in others, learn Jin. He has a gigantic, gigantic movepool, and includes moves, techniques, styles, and button presses of almost every type. Also, Jin n Juice is how I roll.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 3, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Barudak posted:

His drive technique, magnetism, is with practice all but a garaunteed win in online if your opponent can't break throws. They keep getting sucked back to you and you keep throwing them. Keep in mind he has no air dash, is slow as poo poo, and doesn't exactly combo so great. against V-13 you're likely going to lose as that match up is bullllsshiiitttt.

You can't break his command throws period. Also he combos pretty loving well if he has any meter or has a Volt Spark ready.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can't break his command throws period. Also he combos pretty loving well if he has any meter or has a Volt Spark ready.

I think the general rule of the thumb for Tager is be careful and once you have Magnetism its time to unleash the true power of SOVIET SCIENCE!

Although I will admit I blanked on the command throws. God I hate those things when he has magnetism.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Partially thanks to this thread, I got through F.E.A.R.. Here are some tips:

+ Never let go of your shotgun. The assault rifle is also essential, but you only start getting enough ammo for it like halfway through. Once you can comfortably carry both the shotgun and the assault rifle, the third should be for a long range weapon (the sniper-assault rifle, the particle weapon, or the rocket launcher.

+ Speaking of the particle weapon, hang onto it.

+ Make sure to look around for health/slow-mo boosters. They're in little out of the way places like air vents or side offices.

+ The remote grenades aren't that useful, so don't worry about using them.

+ If you're playing on the 360, forget about the achievements. The majority are terrible (why would you want to do the whole game without slow-motion?)

+ There is usually much more extra health than you need.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Any tips for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 beyond what's in the wiki? It seems pretty straightforward so far, but I'm constantly second-guessing my build order and allocation of resources.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I just bought Half Life 2 for Mac. I don't play too many games, and I haven't played the first one. Anything I should watch out for?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nocturama posted:

I just bought Half Life 2 for Mac. I don't play too many games, and I haven't played the first one. Anything I should watch out for?

Nah, it's a pretty straightforward game. You see something, you shoot it. If you ever get stuck in one area it's because there's some kind of environment based puzzle you need to solve like stacking boxes on a ramp or something.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

nocturama posted:

If you see this symbol anywhere, it means there's a hidden supply of goodies nearby:

Just explore pretty much everywhere. That symbol will be bright yellow.

Oh, and play on Hard your first time through.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SMT: Persona 3 FES? First SMT I've tried, second RPG I've really seriously played, anime-est game I've ever seen.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Astfgl posted:

Any tips for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 beyond what's in the wiki? It seems pretty straightforward so far, but I'm constantly second-guessing my build order and allocation of resources.

Well it depends on the castle but generally day 1 i get archers, sometimes it'll already be built for you (provided its tier 2) but not nearly often enough, if you are tower then get gremlin upgrades first to let em shoot, as conflux or necro you might have to wait a bit. from that point onwards i work towards getting a castle and capitol and then get your units from there. stronghold can get rocs early, and swamp castle can go for wyverns right from the get go i think. its all up to personal decision really. but getting archers then capitol is the best way to go. about resources, just get the mines you can sometimes the guards are tough so just do your best. always prioritize getting shooters, they really are your best units.

Bemis fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 8, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

nocturama posted:

Combine balls will destroy a poison zombie and all it's headcrabs. This will come in handy later on. Poison headcrabs can't truly kill you, so if it's just one or two of them by themselves it's not too big of a threat. Gunships go down easily with a little bit of practice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HondaCivet posted:

SMT: Persona 3 FES? First SMT I've tried, second RPG I've really seriously played, anime-est game I've ever seen.
1). (This Is Important) Unless you follow a guide every step of the way, you will not max out all your social links. You must understand this fact first and foremost. You must therefore come to grips with that fact from the outset if you choose not to use a guide. It's not a big deal, but a lot of people stress themselves out over it.

2). The higher your level, the longer you can go in Tartarus without getting tired. The game doesn't explicitly state this. What I am getting at is that eventually you will be able to get through entire blocks in one Tartarus run. This frees up your evenings to study.

3). You want to max out Courage, Charm, and Academics in that order if possible. But Academics is the hardest, so you'll have to study a lot.

4). Save non-school Social Links for days when you have no school. You will have more days off than you know what to do with, where as you will run out of school days at the worst of times. Save those school days for school links.

5). Not all Social Links are created equal. Here are some I think are in your best interest to max out if you max out any at all: Emperor, Chariot, Strength, Star, and Aeon. You should of course try to max out as many as possible, and I think there are other important ones that you will max out easily without trying (such as the ones at night). But these ones you might skip over, and it is my recommendation that you not do so.

6). In general, don't hang onto personae for too long...it's a lot better to fuse them into stronger ones. Don't forget to register them, though.

7). Pay attention to Elizabeth! It's very easy to forget to check in with her, but make sure you do so because I guarantee you will forget and lose out on a mission or two somewhere down the road. As long as you do the quests where you hang out with her you'll probably be OK though.

8). A link will reverse if you ignore it for too long, I think around 90 days. It's even worse when it's a girl, though. If you "cheat" on a girl once she's serious more than 3 times, that link will reverse. Be careful of trying to juggle multiple girlfriends. Once the link is maxed out you can ignore them though.

9). I could probably list poo poo forever so I'll stop here for now. If you're curious, during a New Game+ you keep: Your main characters' levels, your compendium, your equipment, and your academics/charm/courage levels. You do NOT retain your social links, but with those maxed out it should be easier to max them out in the first place.

E: 10). Set Mitsuru to Full Assault because she will use "Marin Karin" a lot otherwise and you will want to murder her.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Persona 3 FES:

I'd also max out Magician, it's easy, you get it really early, and the persona you get from it is the lowest level max s.link persona, yet pretty strong.

Fusion can be intimidating, but you should still do it. Just keep in mind that as long as you register your current personas, you will never permanently lose anyone. All those awesome skills you don't want to lose will just get inherited by the newer better persona. Worse comes to worse and you do a bad fusion, you can just spend a little money to bring back your good personas.

Once the antiques store opens up, make buying Homunclii your #1 priority. They are by far the most important thing to spend those particular gems on. Failure to do so will result in much pain and frustration.

Don't let yourself get frustrated by the tiredness mechanic. That poo poo gets a lot easier and less restrictive as the game goes on.

As long as you can make it as far as you can go in Tartarus, you will generally be OK for whatever plot battles the game throws at you. Just make it to the end of the section you're on, and you wont be under-levelled.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Persona, I just got the port of the first one for the PSP. There's some stuff on the wiki, but nothing about the best way to distribute the main character's stat points. Any advice or can I do as I please with him?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Persona 3 FES:
Once you get the ability, craft weapons for your characters instead of buying them from the shop. You need a weapon base (a null weapon from one of those gold slimes, or an already crafted weapon) and a persona to create a new weapon. Different personas make weapons with different effects. Basically what you want to do is create weapons that cover your character's inherent weaknesses. Like I think Mitsuru is weak to fire or something, so make her a sword that has fire resistance. This will make her neutral to fire like every other element. Give one of these weapons to your whole team and now you don't really ever need to worry about juggling around your team members for bosses ever again.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm on Sequence 8 of Assassin's Creed 2 and some of the platforming is getting really frustrating. Is it because I'm using Mouse and Keyboard, or is the camera and turning just as bad with a gamepad?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 9, 2010

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm on Sequence 8 of Assassin's Creed 2 and some of the platforming is getting really frustrating. Is it because I'm using Mouse and Keyboard, or is the camera and turning just as bad with a gamepad?
XBox 360 gamepad works fairly well with rotate camera left/right on the trigger buttons.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Any tips for Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume? It should be arriving today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Playing Assassin's Creed 2, and this may be a stupid question but I have no idea how to start the DLC chapters. It is a little bit frustrating.