Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Bucket Joneses posted:

It also produces hilarious poo poo like

Probably (most likely) fake but I've seen weirder poo poo.

It is fake. You can tell even better in the actual video clip as opposed to the gif. But there is clearly a cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Can I get a quick opinion on my first skateboard? I've been loving around on my friend's for the last week or so and enjoying it way too much (despite my newfound abrasions and injuries).

In the used market, I'm looking at this or this, and this is nice and cheap for new but I know nothing about the components.

I tried stopping by my local skateshop but they were much more expensive, even for blanks. :(

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
That Zero setup in your second link looks fairly good. No size on it, but it looks like it's got a set of Destructo trucks or something on it, seems in practically new condition and should be loads better than the one in your last link (you don't want to be skating really cheap trucks).

The first setup looks a bit gubbed, I'd skip that one.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
People wear leathers and full-faces because its not fun to fall when doing things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMS-fTCDd0
When you gently caress up your 55mph toeside predrift, you want more than some cotton and denim between you and the road.

Heres one of my favourite freeride and race videos, if you guys want an idea what some of the roads we longboarders ride are like, and why we wear such crazy gear. Both videos are from this race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9EWo3KvuU

Also, the guy in blue, doing the predrift in the first video, and filming much of the second I posted, is also in the Cypress Mountain video. His name is Patrick Switzer, hes ranked 3rd in the world for downhill racing. He is an amazing skater

leica posted:

Those videos are both the same dude.

welp, seems I screwed up my copying and pasting. changed now

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 9, 2010

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Those videos are both the same dude.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I want to punch 360 flips in their stupid face until they die. I could try them all day, every day for a year and not come any closer. gently caress that trick.

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.

Tenterhooks posted:

I want to punch 360 flips in their stupid face until they die. I could try them all day, every day for a year and not come any closer. gently caress that trick.

I struggled with them for about 3 years until I finally read the best piece of advice: do a 360 shove-it with your back foot and a kickflip with your front foot. After reading that I landed my first non-fluke one that very day. Hope that helps.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Can I get a quick opinion on my first skateboard? I've been loving around on my friend's for the last week or so and enjoying it way too much (despite my newfound abrasions and injuries).

In the used market, I'm looking at this or this, and this is nice and cheap for new but I know nothing about the components.

I tried stopping by my local skateshop but they were much more expensive, even for blanks. :(

I wouldn't buy a used skateboard on ebay. You're just asking to get a piece of poo poo with busted bearings.

After you pay shipping it's going to be 55-60 bucks anyway so you might as well just spend 80-90 on a complete from blankdecks or skate.ly.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Tenterhooks posted:

Fifteen years and counting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The way you feel the first time you land a three flip is like the first time you ollied a three-stair. I think it's because it feels really fuckin pro to land something that involves the board spinning 360 degrees and flipping around at the same time.

Seriously keep at it and remember:

1) Set up just like you would a varial flip.
2) Scoop the gently caress out of it with your back foot.
3) Stay on top of the board. If you don't jump high enough and move with it, it's just going to fly out from under you (like with any trick I suppose).

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Went with an inline-skating group for a tour of the city with my Walkabout and it's been a blast. They do that as a weekly event.

Great session! Among curious or even puzzled looks I trotted for a whole two and half hours, keeping up with them easily. Definitely something to try out for people with a penchant for LDP and no buddies to skate with.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Buy an East Coast deck. They are made with wood from Canada which is a lot stronger than the Chinese wood used by West Coast companies. Go for Traffic, Shut, Think, 5boronyc, stuff like that.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

1) Set up just like you would a varial flip.

If you set up like a varial flip (back foot square and middle of the tail, like a pop-shuv) you're going going to need a lot more scoop to make the board spin, making your job harder. What I do is have my back foot toes hang off the toe side of the tail a little bit, this makes the scoop a lot easier. Check the Berrics Trickpedia it should give you a good sense of how your feet should be positioned.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Thanks for the 360 advice. My main problem is staying over the board - it flips pretty good but nowhere near me. If I really concentrate on staying over it, I can't seem to get the flip right :psyduck:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sirkus posted:

If you set up like a varial flip (back foot square and middle of the tail, like a pop-shuv) you're going going to need a lot more scoop to make the board spin, making your job harder. What I do is have my back foot toes hang off the toe side of the tail a little bit, this makes the scoop a lot easier. Check the Berrics Trickpedia it should give you a good sense of how your feet should be positioned.

I guess I did start out doing it that way too (with my toes creeping over the edge of the tail) but mostly what I mean by "set up like you would a varial flip" is that you shouldn't put your front foot any further back on the deck than you would while doing a varial flip. I used to try doing them with my feet really close together and that does make it spin like crazy but you have no real chance of having it land underneath you.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
Today as I was skating home from work, I saw two kids skating - one on a regular skateboard and one on a longboard. I stopped and talked to them and they told me they were going to go skate the parking garage across the street. I went with and skated a bit in there and got some tips from the longboarder. While we were skating they told me that they just finished 8th grade. I just finished college. Haha.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
So.. did you score any bud or what?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's sort of the best/worst thing about skating. You often end up skating parks with people that are half your age and that's cool but you're hanging out with children and a lot of people think that is not very cool. And sorta creepy.

And those kids probably had at least a bowl on them.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

RobotEmpire posted:

So.. did you score or what?

hahahaha, pervert

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

RobotEmpire posted:

So.. did you score any bud or what?

I was skating a bike path near my house when a couple guys on bikes said, "Oh poo poo, a longboarder!" and hit me up for weed. I was all out, sorry random BMX dudes :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Basically the way it works at this one skate park I go to in Seattle (Greenlake): everyone is baked and everyone goes into the woods to get more baked. You don't ever have to be not baked at this place.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Bucket Joneses posted:

Basically the way it works at this one skate park I go to in Seattle (Greenlake): everyone is baked and everyone goes into the woods to get more baked. You don't ever have to be not baked at this place.

I have a friend that goes to that park CONSTANTLY. I've been wanting to go with him, but he's been in Pennsylvania for a bit. I'm hoping to skate it when he gets back.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Weekdays in the morning are bomb until, inexplicably, a bunch of kids show up. I think they're home-schooled.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 30, 2011

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I usually just skate around actual Greenlake. It's a decent workout and it's fun people watching. I really wish I had the confidence to bowl skate. I'm 30 and afraid of breaking myself, haha.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't be a wuss I'm pushing 40 and still ride bowls.

Not doing smith grinds and poo poo anymore but I can still carve like a madman.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Yeah well, when I have actual insurance maybe. Problem is I'm a courier and if I bust a leg or something I can't work, which would be devastating to my family being the sole breadwinner.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

TheJetCityFix posted:

I usually just skate around actual Greenlake. It's a decent workout and it's fun people watching. I really wish I had the confidence to bowl skate. I'm 30 and afraid of breaking myself, haha.

You could learn by just pushing around in the bowls until you get good enough to drop in. Even when the park is packed you can usually count on one of the two bowls being completely empty.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I used to drop into halfpipes when I was younger, but that was long ago. My buddy only does bowl riding, and I really want to get back into skating and pretty much focusing on bowl. I love just cruising around on my board.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also: Marginal Way has a mellow roll-in and a more gnarly roll-in if you're building up to dropping on coping. One of Greenlake's bowls has a roll in but it's a little steep.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheJetCityFix posted:

Yeah well, when I have actual insurance maybe. Problem is I'm a courier and if I bust a leg or something I can't work, which would be devastating to my family being the sole breadwinner.

Have you ever skated bowls before?

As long as you wear a helmet and knee pads and learn how to bail (knee slide) you'll be okay. IMO starting out, learning how to fall is the most important thing.

I understand though, it's tough being into board sports and having to deal with injuries when you have to work. I cut my foot wide open skimboarding and was out of work for good while.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Cross-posting this from PYF Gif:

This is all of us right? :)

I'm going to get some skating done today after about a week of not being able to. I'm pumped!

On a side note, I had a shot on a friends slack rope yesterday. It showed me how little balance control I actually have. Time to work on that.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Mincher posted:

Cross-posting this from PYF Gif:

This is all of us right? :)

I'm going to get some skating done today after about a week of not being able to. I'm pumped!

On a side note, I had a shot on a friends slack rope yesterday. It showed me how little balance control I actually have. Time to work on that.

I did this poo poo the other day but I fell into oncoming traffic.

What's a slack rope?

Mincher
May 12, 2008

RobotEmpire posted:

I did this poo poo the other day but I fell into oncoming traffic.

What's a slack rope?

Basically, it's like a tight rope but... slack. Typically, it's just a piece of strapping used for holding down cargo on trucks tied between 2 trees/poles with a ratchet at one end to help tighten/slacken it.

Here's a man with a silly beard to demonstrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGox_TifVY0

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
So, theres a chance I might be getting a (used, razor-tailed) street deck for free! I can probably scrounge up some trucks from someone around who doesn't skate any more, and I happen to have some little hard wheels laying around. I can ollie, shuv-it sometimes, and I've landed a kickflip or two, but other than that know nothing.
Someone wanna help my longboarder rear end learn to ride flippy-boards? (through the internet!)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

TheJetCityFix posted:

I used to drop into halfpipes when I was younger, but that was long ago. My buddy only does bowl riding, and I really want to get back into skating and pretty much focusing on bowl. I love just cruising around on my board.

Do it. Though it is a good idea to have insurance in your situation. But do it! I started really trying to ride bowls last summer when the new cement park close to me opened. It's a bit scary at first but just ride around how ever you are comfortable and will become easier and easier. Don't worry about doing any lip tricks, just focus on riding the bowl and getting comfortable. Pay attention to the lines other people take and try to copy them. Don't be afraid to ask others who ride it for advice. Most likely they will be happy to share as they were probably once in your situation. Bowls are pretty neat in that they kind of level the playing field with the youngsters. Most of the kids flipping into crooked grinds on the park ledges don't look so pro when you get them in the bowl. The bowl takes some getting use to. Also I'm older than you so do it. I started back skating a couple years ago after not skating at all for about 10 years. I'm 34 now.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I was on a skateboarding trip recently with my friends. We hit up a couple of parks in different towns but the main attraction was our friends barn out in the country. During our 3 day stay there we saw everything from beautiful sun to snow, in May :canada:.

Orisue Clothing hooked us up with some gas money and a ton of free clothes so we decided to make them a little montage.

http://vimeo.com/12503300

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
That's just a great little spot.

I'm convinced I've seen a photo/photos of that mini recently somewhere. I want to say it was in Sidewalk but it was more likely on Mpora or something ...I dunno. Cool place though.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Sirkus posted:

I was on a skateboarding trip recently with my friends. We hit up a couple of parks in different towns but the main attraction was our friends barn out in the country. During our 3 day stay there we saw everything from beautiful sun to snow, in May :canada:.

Orisue Clothing hooked us up with some gas money and a ton of free clothes so we decided to make them a little montage.

http://vimeo.com/12503300

This is going to drive me crazy if I don't ask: what's the second song you use? I have it somewhere in my collection and can't think of the artist for the life of me. Such a good song.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

This is going to drive me crazy if I don't ask: what's the second song you use? I have it somewhere in my collection and can't think of the artist for the life of me. Such a good song.

Animal Collective - Leaf House

Song does indeed own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
I've been interested in getting a longboard for cruising around town and getting to and from the station for a while now. Unfortunately I have no idea about longboards. I used to skate a bit, but on what I would call a "normal" skateboard.

I'm in the UK and looking at Octane Sport.

http://www.octanesport.co.uk/shop/index.php/kids/mindless-raider-ml2000-complete-longboard.html

Would this setup be a good first buy?