Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It was my understanding that washes don't do too well on flat areas like vehicles. Where I have done washes on large areas like on my exorcists, there was generally some amount of detailing and not so much flat spaces.

I've got a Land Raider ready to go for those guys, but it's going to be months till I get to painting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Well, wish me luck in finding a good way in doing it so I can pass it on to you. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bavius posted:

Please excuse the crappy photos (I need a new camera/lighting apparently).

Finished my first space man squad ever (to my satisfaction anyway).

I'd put up the photos with the barrels drilled, but it didn't seem like a big enough change to warrant suffering another round with my camera.

Looks like they're skipping on ice floes. :v: I'd go over the sniper rifles with Boltgun Metal, wash 'em with Badab Black, and then paint the 'casing' black and dryblush and/or highlight it with Fenris Grey

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

bhsman posted:

Looks like they're skipping on ice floes. :v:

That was the intent. Initially started out trying to level each of their LOS positions so I wouldn't have to worry about very high walls (that my FLGS insists on modeling). The kneeling guys on big slabs of plaster didn't fit in well, and I couldn't think of a better terrain so I went with ice flows.

I take it the camo guns were a bad idea? Sounds like you think I should paint the whole gun up bolter style. Should I keep any of the original camo or scrap all of it?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bavius posted:

I take it the camo guns were a bad idea? Sounds like you think I should paint the whole gun up bolter style. Should I keep any of the original camo or scrap all of it?

Oh. It's camo. :doh:

Honestly one idea I've seen for 'sneaky' units like Eldar Rangers/Pathfinders, Kommandos and some Space Marine Scout units (usually from Raven Guard/successor armies) is to paint the entire model in camouflage/exactly like the bases except for the flesh areas. I'll try and find a matching picture if possible.

EDIT: Found it

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

bhsman posted:

Oh. It's camo. :doh:

Honestly one idea I've seen for 'sneaky' units like Eldar Rangers/Pathfinders, Kommandos and some Space Marine Scout units (usually from Raven Guard/successor armies) is to paint the entire model in camouflage/exactly like the bases except for the flesh areas. I'll try and find a matching picture if possible.

EDIT: Found it

Haha, I don't know if that's out of my league to paint, but they look loads better than I can pull off at the moment. I understand the point though. I basically took a look at an example scout in the Wolves dex, did my best to emulate the paint scheme and tried to add some stealth to it. The idea being that if they weren't so busy running and posing they'd cover up in their camo cloaks.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bavius posted:

Haha, I don't know if that's out of my league to paint, but they look loads better than I can pull off at the moment. I understand the point though. I basically took a look at an example scout in the Wolves dex, did my best to emulate the paint scheme and tried to add some stealth to it. The idea being that if they weren't so busy running and posing they'd cover up in their camo cloaks.

Eh, it's be as easy as priming white, heavily drybrushing with a medium blue, then over that with a lighter blue, then heavily drybrush with white, and then paint any flesh and hair areas. That's similar to my plan for my Str-er...secret project down the line. :ninja:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Bavius posted:

I would suggest painting the rims of your bases a different colour. Probably black. It just makes the bases look that little bit better.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MaliciousOnion posted:

I would suggest painting the rims of your bases a different colour. Probably black. It just makes the bases look that little bit better.

This.

is the wrong advice. Your bases look awesome as they are.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This.

is the wrong advice. Your bases look awesome as they are.

Thank you, sir. I've heard the black rim idea more than once. Personally I'm not sold yet. I get it for a regular base where there is a lot going on. These are pretty straightforward with water effects.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

crime fighting hog posted:

Also, just airbrushing this statue bright gold then washing the poo poo out of it with verdigris sounds too easy. Also I suck dick at sculpting, I wouldn't even be able to make vines unless I bought some.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Related note; I've been looking for some vines for use for this kind of poo poo. Anyone got a good source or suggestion for this?

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-prodshow/awleaflitter.html
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-prodshow/leafcombipack.html

the pic on those pages isn't as good as it could be, on their old site layout you could actually.. you know.. make out what the hell it was. It's basically leaf litter, it's a bit fiddly but you can make convincing vines out of it glued in lines to walls and all that jazz.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Crosspostin'

Click here for the full 1000x616 image.

Click here for the full 1051x663 image.

Click here for the full 997x712 image.

First Gretchin is complete, here seen posing with his rifle and in his natural environment of a space hulk, about to get utterly trashed by a Space Marine wielding an assault cannon. There are some details I missed, and some runover between the colour areas. Still, I haven't painted anything for ten years, so I'm pretty happy with this as a first go. Now I just have to do 13 more...

Tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
What's the best way to go about mounting stuff on a valkyrie flying base? they seem kind of rickety.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

enri posted:

'sup?

couldn't wait to sink my teeth into this little guy, hopefully the glue on his base will dry off quick enough for me to get a sealing coat of glue down on it before tonight and then I'll get him undercoated tomorrow :D

I thought I'd embellish his base a little bit, there's a tactical marine and a small chunk of ruins on there that I got a bit carried away with.

Planning on painting him up in legio metalica colours, lots of reds, gold trim and some decorative black and white patterning.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I'm looking for that awesome (and disgusting) converted and painted Tervigon that looked like it was actively birthing a brood (it was all glossy and birthy and nasty). I think it had a "girls" sign as part of the terrain it was modeled on? Anyone know where I can find that picture? I think it was on this thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went back, and no luck on GIS. :( Help?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

enri posted:

'sup?

couldn't wait to sink my teeth into this little guy, hopefully the glue on his base will dry off quick enough for me to get a sealing coat of glue down on it before tonight and then I'll get him undercoated tomorrow :D

I thought I'd embellish his base a little bit, there's a tactical marine and a small chunk of ruins on there that I got a bit carried away with.

Planning on painting him up in legio metalica colours, lots of reds, gold trim and some decorative black and white patterning.

That marine looks pretty smug, knowing his big brother has got his back.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Unbeknown to him, he's about to get punted across the battlefield by his big brother :3:

In completely unrelated news, I've forgotten the colours I use for my DA's bases again... I've been here a hundred times before and I keep forgetting to write it down each time :saddowns:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im starting to change my opinion on this range of figures...while they are sort of ridiculous, you cant argue that they are sculpted and painted beautifully

http://www.taban-miniatures.com/

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Yorg

e:
Make an army of these dudes (70mm)

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 11, 2010

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Gorkamorka mob. Sorry for lovely lighting and un-finished bases

Man, orks are so fun to paint! All those "harsh" details like the muscle fibres and the tusks are really easy to paint and not have them look like poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Hats posted:

Crosspostin'

Click here for the full 1000x616 image.

Click here for the full 1051x663 image.

Click here for the full 997x712 image.

First Gretchin is complete, here seen posing with his rifle and in his natural environment of a space hulk, about to get utterly trashed by a Space Marine wielding an assault cannon. There are some details I missed, and some runover between the colour areas. Still, I haven't painted anything for ten years, so I'm pretty happy with this as a first go. Now I just have to do 13 more...

Tell me what I'm doing wrong?
What you're doing wrong is not painting fast enough. drat you for making me want to re-do my entire Space Crusade set....

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I like the orange/white orks ikke en viking, and yeah, orks are fun as hell/easy to paint

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:siren: STORE UPDATE :siren:

http://www.paintvagrant.com/store/

Ive managed to grab some more BATTLEFOAM carrying cases. They are awesome, and my prices are absurdly cheap. Buy them.

I got the PACK 432 for $77

and the PACK 216 for $52

I also grabbed a few new p3 colors:

And some dropper style bottles, empty:

As always goons get a 5% discount on any purchase, use coupon code GOONS

Or, for any orders $75 or over, use coupon code FREESHIP for free shipping!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I'm dusting off my Cryx stuff because their book just came out and it looks saucy. I need to paint a Seether, a bunch of chickens, Deneghra, the Withershadow guys, a Skarlock, and probably 2 Sirens and a bunch of Bane Thralls.

What do you guys think of a pure white paint scheme for the armor plates, with gold/bronze/brass/silver trim? I'm talking blinding pure FW artist ink white. Do you think it will look too flat overall?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

I'm dusting off my Cryx stuff because their book just came out and it looks saucy. I need to paint a Seether, a bunch of chickens, Deneghra, the Withershadow guys, a Skarlock, and probably 2 Sirens and a bunch of Bane Thralls.

What do you guys think of a pure white paint scheme for the armor plates, with gold/bronze/brass/silver trim? I'm talking blinding pure FW artist ink white. Do you think it will look too flat overall?

You'd want another color to break up the white, unless you are a painting god and can pull off a near monochromatic color scheme.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
i have 2 krylon'd chickens and i inked one with fw and washed the other with les' wash heavy black (extra heavy.) they look the same

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Progress!

Now I pretty much just have to make the guns and then put some rivets on it.

Anybody know a good place to get magnets btw?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Combaticus posted:

Progress!

Now I pretty much just have to make the guns and then put some rivets on it.

That thing would look great with an under slung big shoota each side of the skull. Or on the sides, like Hueys in Vietnam.

If da humies run, krump dem, if dey dont run... krump dem as well.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
New camera (Canon S90, drat fine device) means I can actually post my Blackclad Wayfarer WIP, woo.

Hating the way I've got the patchwork looking right now, will probably replace it with something less lazy than coal black + drybrushing. Just need to figure out a good-looking dark leather. I also intend to get some more green into the brass, so far it's just got a coat of devlan mud on it. Lastly, I need to get the axe blades looking glassier, but that's a matter of varnish more than coloration, I think.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Combaticus posted:

k&j magnetics.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

PaintVagrant posted:

:siren:

Get the BattleFoam Hordes bag! DO IT! I NEED THIS FOR LESS THAN 150 BUCKS!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Aetilus posted:

k&j magnetics.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
*damnit, fail.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

NecronSchmecron posted:

Haw haw, edit =/= reply! :haw:

S'okay. I still love you.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Haw haw, edit =/= reply! :haw:

:negative:

I originally empty quoted and then thought, maybe I should be helpful instead.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 12, 2010

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Phyresis posted:

I tried to do white/gold with my menoth, and yeah the only way you can pull it off is if you are a really high quality painter, otherwise throw in some bright green to break it up and you'll be set. I have to go back and add a bunch of red to my menoth because it's way too bland.

A good scheme I've seen for cryx is Bone plates and gold/silver/black.

Washout fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 12, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Phyresis posted:

Non-black color schemes own:

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

sicarius posted:

Get the BattleFoam Hordes bag! DO IT! I NEED THIS FOR LESS THAN 150 BUCKS!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Cant get them, Im not sure if they are discontinued or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My Sanguinor is now sitting in the Window display case in my local GW.

As sad as it is, I've wanted a model in the display cabinets since I was 12. The massive list of compliments helped too.

• Locked thread