Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!
I recently completed Arrested Development. I hadn't ever watched it when it was still on air, because I thought it was going to be one of those really terrible sitcoms like "According to Jim" that's really a huge pain in the rear end just to sit through and it tries too hard to be "wacky." Then, recently, I turned on IFC to watch a movie, forgot about it when I had something to do online, and when I looked back I just started watching what was on. I really liked it and thought it was hilarious. Turned out I was watching the episode where Tobias tries out for the commercial. I was addicted, and watched the whole series in the space of days. It was definitely worth the watch.

Before that, I decided to revisit Daria, after seeing some reruns on Teenick. I don't have too much to say about it, but it was definitely nostalgic to watch. I was younger in the '90s, when the show originally ran, so it was interesting to see all the episodes and understand in depth what they were all talking about. Definitely hit home a bit, too.

Also got my hands on the third season of The Adventures of Pete & Pete. It had some of the best episodes. Come out on DVD, drat it. :(

I've also been going through Seinfeld, but it's too long to try and view as quickly as possible, so I'm only at season six. Now I understand why my parents wanted to watch it all the time; I love it. :) Mystery Science Theater 3000 is superdifficult to get through, because each episode is an hour and a half long, but I try. Somehow I've watched all of season eight, --my favorite so far--season nine, and I'm halfway through season ten. I like it without a doubt, even if it's kind of hard to understand all the references. I doubt I'll ever be done with it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

octothorpopus posted:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is superdifficult to get through, because each episode is an hour and a half long, but I try. Somehow I've watched all of season eight, --my favorite so far--season nine, and I'm halfway through season ten. I like it without a doubt, even if it's kind of hard to understand all the references. I doubt I'll ever be done with it, though.

You'd probably have to be a super genius about pretty much everything to get ALL the references in an episode of MST3K, and a lot of them are dated now that it's 10 - 20 years after an episode was made so you'd literally have to know about all the sports, pop culture, news etc. of a particular year plus all of the other random stuff they say plus references from other episodes. Don't beat yourself up about not getting all the jokes. :)

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010
I've been recently binging on Spaced on Hulu. Simon Pegg is absolutely fabulous and Jessica Stevenson is so drat adorable!!!!!

It has wonderful touching moments as well as funny laugh out loud moments. Definitely worth a go.

Feb 8, 2008

Short Penguin posted:

I've been recently binging on Spaced on Hulu. Simon Pegg is absolutely fabulous and Jessica Stevenson is so drat adorable!!!!!

It has wonderful touching moments as well as funny laugh out loud moments. Definitely worth a go.

That series is actually worth owning on DVD, tons of extras and really good commentary tracks.
Also, if your enjoying Spaced and have Netflix, check out the IT Crowd, it is absolutely hilarious and makes American comedies about tech look like absolute drivel.

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens

7734 posted:

That series is actually worth owning on DVD, tons of extras and really good commentary tracks.
Also, if your enjoying Spaced and have Netflix, check out the IT Crowd, it is absolutely hilarious and makes American comedies about tech look like absolute drivel.

This reminds me, does anyone have more recommendations of good British comedy series? I absolutely loved IT Crowd and I've been looking for some other series in the same vein. I'm going to give Spaced a try since Simon Pegg is awesome.

For reference, I've seen and enjoyed the following:

IT Crowd
The Office (UK)
Fawlty Towers
Black Adder
Flying Circus
Red Dwarf
Father Ted (kinda so-so on this one)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Coupling and Black Books are really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYKInSN6CQA

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 11, 2010

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Indecline posted:

This reminds me, does anyone have more recommendations of good British comedy series?

- Peep Show
- Coupling
- Black Books
- Joking Apart
- Press Gang (a childrens' series, but really quite phenomenally good)
- Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
- Extras (from the writer/directors of the Office, starring Gervais once again)

And yeah, Spaced is possibly the best one.

Feb 8, 2008
Extras is extremely funny. The awkwardness is much more tolerable then in the UK Office. Plus all of the guest spots are hilarious. "It was to late, I'd seen everything"
My English friend has been telling me I need to watch Gavin & Stacy as well, have not got around to it yet though

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

- Peep Show
- Coupling
- Black Books
- Joking Apart
- Press Gang (a childrens' series, but really quite phenomenally good)
- Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
- Extras (from the writer/directors of the Office, starring Gervais once again)

And yeah, Spaced is possibly the best one.

Whoops, don't know how I left Extras off my list. Loved that one as well. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
The Wire, amazing show. I just knocked over the first season and immediately headed to the rental place to get the second.

Though i hear the concensus is its very good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Horsebanger posted:

The Wire, amazing show. I just knocked over the first season and immediately headed to the rental place to get the second.

Though i hear the concensus is its very good

I took the plunge

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006
I just finished Supernatural, is Angel worth watching? I really liked Firefly and heard Angel was made by the same guy.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bob the terrible posted:

I just finished Supernatural, is Angel worth watching? I really liked Firefly and heard Angel was made by the same guy.

Yep, everyone loves Angel. It's a great show. Occasionally they'll reference some Buffy stuff that you might not get if you haven't watched that, but overall you can watch it on its own.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Bob the terrible posted:

Watch Angel but like most shows, it takes a short period to find its legs. Most people think its a bit too "monster of the week" during season 1 but if you've never watched Buffy that will be less of a problem since it will act more as an introduction to the characters.

It really gets good in season 2 and 3.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Annakie posted:

You'd probably have to be a super genius about pretty much everything to get ALL the references in an episode of MST3K, and a lot of them are dated now that it's 10 - 20 years after an episode was made so you'd literally have to know about all the sports, pop culture, news etc. of a particular year plus all of the other random stuff they say plus references from other episodes. Don't beat yourself up about not getting all the jokes. :)

Yeah, it's pretty true. Or just cheat and read Annotated MST3K immediately after each episode, hahaha.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
In the last 3 weeks I've blown through 4 seasons of Psych, the 1 season of The Black Donnellys, The Pacific HBO miniseries, all the while keeping up each week with Breaking Bad, and I'm now starting into season 1 of Californication.

I have nothing to do all summer, someone has to help me.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Stuntman Mike posted:

In the last 3 weeks I've blown through 4 seasons of Psych, the 1 season of The Black Donnellys, The Pacific HBO miniseries, all the while keeping up each week with Breaking Bad, and I'm now starting into season 1 of Californication.

I have nothing to do all summer, someone has to help me.

Life on Mars (UK) followed by Ashes to Ashes (UK)

That oughta tide you over for another couple of weeks. 40 episodes that are an hour or so long (a real hour not a 42 minute hour)

Plus, it ended already, so no cliffhangers and it had a plot resolution that most people actually seemed to like.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm binging through Lost right now. I'm halfway through season 5.

1. I want to know what happened to Rose and Bernard. Also, Vincent.

2. I only just picked up on the name Horace/Horus... this was when I saw the Egyptian stuff in the classroom when Jack talked to Ben's dad.

3. My blown-up theory was that Desmond's son will grow up to be the actual hobbit-Charlie, time travel, and so Desmond will find out that he watched his own son die. This relied on Charlie being a foster kid, but then I remembered: no, those Charlie flashbacks involved real parents, not foster parents.

4. Kate is boring now. Love triangles/squares are boring.

EDIT: Actually, does anyone know what the connection is (if any?) between Lost and Deadwood? A ton of Deadwood actors keep showing up. (I mean a series creator or behind-the-scenes guy involved on both shows or something, not some wacko thematic connection theory.)

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 19, 2010

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I finally started watching Dexter. That's gotta be the weirdest father-son dynamic I have ever seen.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I'm getting to the point where I think I've almost binged and re-binged through most of the good TV there is. Sad times.

This year I finished watching The West Wing for the first time, and but for a few stumbles when Sorkin left, it was consistently entertaining. Also Brotherhood, the first two seasons, good and sometimes great but doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. Watched the first two episodes of Flashforward. The first episode was okay, but the second was one of the worst episodes of TV I've ever seen and turned me off from seeing the rest. Combination of ideas stolen from every single show ever and horrendous writing and acting.

Also been rewatching Six Feet and Sopranos and I'm two episodes from the end of each. Kleenex at the ready.

The only remaining shows I've yet to watch are Friday Night Lights, Sons of Anarchy and some of the shows that have aired this year like Justified and The Pacific.

I'm hoping that with two big shows in 24 and LOST (and others) finishing, some new great epic shows will appear to fill the void. Does anyone have an inkling what those might end up being?

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 20, 2010

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Just about done with The X-Files (finale + movie to go when I get the time), really enjoyable show the whole way through.

Also going through Weeds after watching the first 2 seasons as they aired. Season 3 was excellent, escalated everything to a hilarious degree but the transistion to season 4 is really jarring so far. I'm 2 episodes in and I miss the gently caress out of Agrestic :(

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I started watching this last season of Supernatural, and I decided to start at the beginning and go through it all from the beginning.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes
Working my way through Battlestar Galactica. In between waiting on DVDs I've been watching News Radio. Watched both shows once and awhile when they were airing but never got into them. Now I'm loving both. Also just finished watching the Arrested Development series again.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I binged my way through Breaking Bad in about a week, just in time for the season finale. Amazing show. I'm going to start the Wire soon.

Oh, I just watched all of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia too.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Smorgasbord posted:

Just about done with The X-Files (finale + movie to go when I get the time), really enjoyable show the whole way through.

Also going through Weeds after watching the first 2 seasons as they aired. Season 3 was excellent, escalated everything to a hilarious degree but the transistion to season 4 is really jarring so far. I'm 2 episodes in and I miss the gently caress out of Agrestic :(

I feel like I've posted this at least 4 times by now but I really feel like Weeds should've stopped after season 3. The finale works pretty well as a series finale and the seasons after just haven't been that great. I still watch because I'm invested in the characters but the quality and 'laugh rate' for me have not held up at all. Season 5 as a whole is probably the worst it's ever been :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

psychosockmonkee posted:

Working my way through Battlestar Galactica. In between waiting on DVDs I've been watching News Radio. Watched both shows once and awhile when they were airing but never got into them. Now I'm loving both. Also just finished watching the Arrested Development series again.

The best part of watch Newsradio is watching Dave go from naive and idealistic to completely insane by the end. The best part? He was told this was going to happen in the first season by another news directer who started at the same age as him. You can really tell he started going off his rails when Bill died since it seemed that their game was what was keeping him sane.
From one of the saddest episodes ever"
David,
I suppose I should say I'm sorry for tormenting you so relentlessly but I'm not. You've enjoyed the game as much as I did and you gave as good as you got. I salute you, sir. SALUTE! As for my eulogy, please make it as long and boring as is possible. Anything less than 2 hours I will consider a collosal failure.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Harmonica posted:

I'm hoping that with two big shows in 24 and LOST (and others) finishing, some new great epic shows will appear to fill the void. Does anyone have an inkling what those might end up being?

I would say Game of Thrones could end up being awesome like Rome, but of course, like Rome, it will never last.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I'm trying Babylon 5 with some other people. So far we've made it through the first movie and the first dvd — 4 episodes. I've heard so many people say it was great that I want to give it a shot. So what episode should I make it to before making the decision to give up or not?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Harmonica posted:

Also Brotherhood, the first two seasons, good and sometimes great but doesn't really seem to be going anywhere.

The third season did give some closure to the stories of the Tommy, Michael, and Deco. It's still plagued by the feeling that the show just missed becoming something incredible though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pardot posted:

I'm trying Babylon 5 with some other people. So far we've made it through the first movie and the first dvd — 4 episodes. I've heard so many people say it was great that I want to give it a shot. So what episode should I make it to before making the decision to give up or not?

The first season is not the greatest, it doesn't really hit its stride until the end of the first/second season.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

DirtyRobot posted:

EDIT: Actually, does anyone know what the connection is (if any?) between Lost and Deadwood? A ton of Deadwood actors keep showing up. (I mean a series creator or behind-the-scenes guy involved on both shows or something, not some wacko thematic connection theory.)

Elizabeth Sarnoff, one of the Deadwood writers, went over to Lost after Deadwood was done, so I'd assume that has a little bit to do with it. Dunno how much pull writers have on casting decisions, but I'm sure she could have lobbied for them. That's all I can think of.

Oh, and what I'm watching? Rewatching Mad Men in preparation for season 4, and slowly making my way through Big Love, Deadwood, and True Blood with the girlfriend. I also want to get Sons of Anarchy and Fringe in, as well...

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 20, 2010

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just marathoned through Curb Your Enthusiasm after watching a few episodes of Season 7 for the Seinfeld reunion. It was pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just plowed through Seasons 1 & 2 of Breaking Bad over the weekend, and I'm kicking myself for not having checked out the show sooner. It's brilliant. Can't wait to start on Season 3.

Was reading through the Season 2 thread and I was a little surprised everyone seemed to hate the ending of the season. I thought it was fantastic. Hoping S3 keeps up the quality level.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Just started season 5 of The West Wing and am wondering if anyone knows if the Kidnapping was Sorkin's idea, because it was dumb as hell and it seemed to have started before he left.

I really hope that nothing else along the lines of the assasination attempt and kidnapping happen directly to the president because it already feels like it has been very "television-y".

woz0
Sep 11, 2001
Currently running through Entourage and 30 Rock. :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was Sorkin's idea and he left it up to the new team to resolve it. It's actually a fitting storyline since Bartlett actually talked about the exact same thing happening to Zoey in an earlier season.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

qbert posted:

Breaking Bad
The ending was kind of lame, because it was a form of causality that resulted in too many things directly involving Walt. That, and the whole 'consequences of his actions' thing was already hammered home by the bedroom death. I don't go in the show thread, though, that's just imo.
And season 3 has another loving amazing shootout, among other things.

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm binging through Lost right now. I'm halfway through season 5.

1. I want to know what happened to Rose and Bernard. Also, Vincent.

**You definitely will. Not till almost the very end though.

3. My blown-up theory was that Desmond's son will grow up to be the actual hobbit-Charlie, time travel, and so Desmond will find out that he watched his own son die. This relied on Charlie being a foster kid, but then I remembered: no, those Charlie flashbacks involved real parents, not foster parents.

**They are two separate people.

4. Kate is boring now. Love triangles/squares are boring.

**Yup. She only does one really important thing later on. Well, two, actually. Her arc was so meandering.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It was Sorkin's idea and he left it up to the new team to resolve it. It's actually a fitting storyline since Bartlett actually talked about the exact same thing happening to Zoey in an earlier season.

Yeah, it was in the first season, if I recall correctly. Still, one huge terrible event happening in a presidency was enough, the second one felt a bit forced. They could have easily made the Vice President trouble the focus of the end of the season.

I know it is television, but it feels like the most terrifying presidency of all time, so I hope we've seen the last of storylines like that since I know that soon (I know it happens and is a big change in the show's formula but not sure when) we will be focusing on the next election and the stuff leading towards that'

EDIT: And I thought it was odd that John Goodman went completely uncredited for such an important role. I know it seemed like they wanted to keep him a surprise the first time he showed up, but the could have credited him during the end credits or at least during the next two episodes he was in. Also, I didn't know Matthew Perry made a guest appearance on the show. Makes Studio 60 have yet another link to the West Wing.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 21, 2010

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Superrodan posted:

I really hope that nothing else along the lines of the assasination attempt and kidnapping happen directly to the president because it already feels like it has been very "television-y".

Man, you're really going to hate it when they turn Mexico into the US's wacky neighbor and send over an ambassador with a bunch of get-rich-quick schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Watched Friday Night Lights over the past week or two. I'm almost done with season four now. Not sure what I'm going to start next. Would like to re-watch Angel or The Wire.