Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

The Supertones are having a reunion tour. I don't even.. care
It should be Five Iron Frenzy reuniting instead.

weekly font posted:

So what's the consensus on Less Than Jake? I recently borrowed a friend's copy of Out Crowd and GNVFLA and goddamn what happened to this band? I mean I guess they had to stop singing about how lovely growing up is but it was a bummer to see that the band I grew up on didn't.

EDIT: Oh wow this is kinda being discussed like ten posts up. Borders and Boundaries is their best album and Losing Streak sucked. :colbert:
I agree on B&B. I just think LTJ's shtick gets old after a while. How many times can they write a song about wanting to get out of this place? Maybe they should get out of that place! It sounds like a bad place. If you don't like being somewhere, then don't be there man. Write a song about moving into a new place. Do a concept album about a road trip. Maybe a song about helping someone ELSE move into THEIR new place. It's a whole new realm of songwriting.

Also if you are in a band and you're making significant money then I don't know that that shtick really works a whole lot anymore?? Maybe they could write about wanting to get out of the music industry.... err well I guess that's Reel Big Fish's gimmick and that's wearing thin too. I dont know, write about skateboards or something. what are the kids into

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

So what's the consensus on Less Than Jake? I recently borrowed a friend's copy of Out Crowd and GNVFLA and goddamn what happened to this band? I mean I guess they had to stop singing about how lovely growing up is but it was a bummer to see that the band I grew up on didn't.

EDIT: Oh wow this is kinda being discussed like ten posts up. Borders and Boundaries is their best album and Losing Streak sucked. :colbert:

I'm sorry but claiming that any LTJ album is better than Hello Rockview is a sign of either mental instability or retardaton

Also I'd like to go to Insub because I'd love to finally see some of those bands, like House Boat. HOUSE BOAT

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Why do people hate the Steinways but love Houseboat?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
can we all just agree that besides IWTOC, losers and kings is the worst one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Why do people hate the Steinways but love Houseboat?

Because House Boat really is a ton better. Plus Mikey Erg on drums

I mean a bigger Grath fan than me doesn't exist, I give Missed the Boat credit for getting me into pop punk, but goddamn House Boat blows the Steinways out of the water. Are You Into Metal has my favorite line ever.

Have you heard his Barrakuda McMurder stuff?

mastapasta
Jun 14, 2008

Om nom nom

Dickeye posted:

I'm sorry but claiming that any LTJ album is better than Hello Rockview is a sign of either mental instability or retardaton

Just thought I would quote this for good measure.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

We just had this discussion a few pages ago and Losing Steak is the best album because it doesn't sound like the instruments were filtered through a tin can. I think Losing Streak works better as a whole album with an overarching theme, whereas Hello Rockview sounds like a collection of songs.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Dickeye posted:

Because House Boat really is a ton better. Plus Mikey Erg on drums

I mean a bigger Grath fan than me doesn't exist, I give Missed the Boat credit for getting me into pop punk, but goddamn House Boat blows the Steinways out of the water. Are You Into Metal has my favorite line ever.

Have you heard his Barrakuda McMurder stuff?

I think Grath is going for the Mikey Erg award for being in too many goddamn bands at Insub haha. I can't wait to see fishy mcfuckface.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I think Grath is going for the Mikey Erg award for being in too many goddamn bands at Insub haha. I can't wait to see fishy mcfuckface.

What's he in? McMurder, house boat, no Steinways reunion, what else?

e: Also Losing Streak can suck my loving dick. Hello Rockview has the best songs, and they all just work together with that constant feel of getting the hell out. Maybe it's because it was one of my first two ska albums (The other was Somewhere in the Between), and maybe it's because I found both those albums when I was a senior in high school. Maybe it's because 4point0 changes the line in Scott Farcas to include my name. But Hello Rockview will always be a better album to me, and all their other ones can just gargle my scrote.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Obama Yo Mama posted:

i would say duh but after listening to them, GNV is worse than IWTOC

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

IWTOC literally has two good songs on it and the rest is garbage, at least i can listen to GNV FLA the whole way through without wanting to claw at my face

Dickeye posted:

e: Also Losing Streak can suck my loving dick. Hello Rockview has the best songs, and they all just work together with that constant feel of getting the hell out. Maybe it's because it was one of my first two ska albums (The other was Somewhere in the Between), and maybe it's because I found both those albums when I was a senior in high school. Maybe it's because 4point0 changes the line in Scott Farcas to include my name. But Hello Rockview will always be a better album to me, and all their other ones can just gargle my scrote.

my first two ska albums were hello rockview and losing streak and at first after heavy rotation of the two hello rockview bored me after danny says but i could listen to losing streak the whole way through every time.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 11, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

GNV isn't too terrible. The production is alright, and the tunes are solid if not very good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

IWTOC literally has two good songs on it and the rest is garbage, at least i can listen to GNV FLA the whole way through without wanting to claw at my face

my first two ska albums were hello rockview and losing streak and at first after heavy rotation of the two hello rockview bored me after danny says but i could listen to losing streak the whole way through every time.

but....after danny says come all the best songs. Big Crash, Theme Song, Scott loving Farcas, Al's War

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i don't really thing big crash is that great when stacked up against the rest of the songs on the album. danny says also. when i used to hit those two, i'd kinda lose focus and before i could get to the last 3 good songs i'd just be like 'gently caress this i'm going to listen to losing streak instead'

and i liked great american sharpshooter for a week in 10th grade when i broke up with my girlfriend but when i got over it i realized that it's just an above average song on an album of really great stuff so it kinda got old

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 12, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Big Crash is probably my third favorite song on that album. Goes back to that whole feeling of discontent and wanting to get out that made me fall in love with it my senior year.

e: Now I'm trying to hum Great American Sharpshooter and it keeps turning into Psycho Killer instead in my head. Dammit.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i mean, don't get me wrong, i like every song on the album, just nervous in the alley, GAS, danny says, big crash, and cheese don't really hit me like the other songs on the album do. i guess that's why i like losing streak more because the only songs on that album that i feel the same way about are just like frank and krazy glue

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Can we stop talking about Less Than Jake?

I just...don't get all the love for them.

pleasedonthurtme

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't love LTJ

I love Hello Rockview. Subtle distinction

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

weekly font posted:

Nice troll? Seriously how can you like their least ska album over GNV FLA?

My first ska(core) album was Let's Face It and that album destroys anything LTJ ever did :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'll say it. I love LTJ. Is every album A+? Not quite, but their track record is damned good and they are fun as hell live.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Is it wrong of me to love every Bosstones album except Pin Points and Gin Joints? It's just so... Not Bosstones.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it's a different direction yeah, but i don't think it's a bad album at all. dicky can't really do all that screaming anymore

guppy posted:

I'll say it. I love LTJ. Is every album A+? Not quite, but their track record is damned good and they are fun as hell live.

i don't like losers and kings or IWTOC, GNV FLA is alright, pezcore and anthem are good, hello rockview, losing streak, borders and boundaries and b is for b sides (yeah, i'm counting it) are great. overall a solid body of work.

and it's not even fair to compare them, or almost any ska band ever, to the bosstones

the hierarchy is basically bosstones, streetlight and five iron frenzy and then everybody else battling to be 5 levels below them

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 12, 2010

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Cheezymadman posted:

Is it wrong of me to love every Bosstones album except Pin Points and Gin Joints? It's just so... Not Bosstones.

Yes because Graffiti Worth Reading, You Left Right?, Route That I Took, A Pretty Sad Excuse, and Too Many Stars are all awesome A+ songs.

edit: I Wrote It. How could I forget that one?

edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiewaXDby8c Posting because I love this video

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 12, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'll say it right now: I don't really like the Bosstones.

I'll say this too: Five Iron can blow me

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I'll say it right now: I don't really like the Bosstones.

You're dead to me

Iostcause
May 26, 2001

I'M DANCING! I'M DANCING!
I'm—just—I'm a naked whore.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

It's just a compilation of random poo poo from around the time of Pezcore. Wouldn't really consider it a studio album. IWTOC gets to stand on its own as the worst thing they've put out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

You're dead to me

There's a handful fo songs I like, but it just ain't my thang yo

Then again you're some human being who doesn't like Punk Rock Girl so

e: Also I do enjoy most of Pay Attention and Let's Face it so

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 12, 2010

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I like Punk Rock Girl. I just don't like Streetlight's version.

Also More Noise and Other Disturbances is the Bosstones best album.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I can't decide whether I actually like Tip the Van or not. I like the parallel fourth vocals but the horns are poo poo

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I really want to like Tip The Van, they seem like they're really putting the effort in, but they just don't grab me. Boring lyrics maybe, for whatever reason lyrics in ska songs seem to matter to me more than most other genres. Which I realize is like complaining about the visual appearance of a vacuum cleaner.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

in non less than jake news, the new we are the union album is really good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like their first one better.

In "dickeye plugs 4point0" news, they've actually got tour dates/locations/venues up on the myspace, and they're recording a new album this August. Kinda pumped about that. Still need to bum a freebie off them from the last one.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

in non less than jake news, the new we are the union album is really good

is it free to download like their last one was?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dnz posted:

is it free to download like their last one was?

No, and neither is that one anymore. It hasn't been on Community Records in ages. It's on P+P now, no idea if you can just get the CD or if it's still part of a bundle.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think Amazon MP3 has them individually.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

quote:

FYI Mark Hoppus produced at least one of the songs of that album,

If Mark Hoppus's production on the new Motion City Soundtrack isn't amazing, I don't know what is.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

production is one thing, but is the album lovely like the last one was?

even if it kills me was like the biggest disappointment of an album that i've probably ever heard. mcs went from one of my favorite bands to meh in about 3 hours.

e: 2nd most disappointing album. i'm a huge panic at the disco apologist and i really think that their first album, aside from i write sin not tragedies, which is probably the worst song ever written, is a really loving good album. their second album is a heaping pile of poo poo

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 14, 2010

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Obama Yo Mama posted:

production is one thing, but is the album lovely like the last one was?

even if it kills me was like the biggest disappointment of an album that i've probably ever heard. mcs went from one of my favorite bands to meh in about 3 hours.

It's probably my favorite album of the year. It's been pretty much praised everywhere. The only song on the entire album I don't love is worker bee.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TLG James posted:

If Mark Hoppus's production on the new Motion City Soundtrack isn't amazing, I don't know what is.

He produced their first one too, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Haha gently caress yea Motion City in a ska thread.

Not their first but yea he produced Commit this to Memory and sung in Hangman as well. At Soundwave they were on right after Reel Big Fish which was pretty cool.

As for Less than Jake, Lossing Streak, all the time.