Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey so just crossposting this, tried to start my parts car up. Taking all bets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYhtmJWe7E

Gah! I need to know whats causing that noise, my buick was making a sound similar to that while driving it to the junkyard. Experience has shown if you drive long enough that noise will go away and you will suddenly have very little power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

VikingSkull posted:

In a close second is the scar-inflicting pitot tube.

Did you leave the de-icer on?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

VikingSkull posted:

Same here. I worked for like two years in an aircraft refurbish shop right out of high school, and landing gear is the bane of my existence.

I expect it is just at the right height to do minimum damage with maximum pain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Same here. I worked for like two years in an aircraft refurbish shop right out of high school, and landing gear is the bane of my existence.

We have to safety wire in the VHF radios, antenna lines, etc.

A lot of the things we safety wire would never come loose even with excessive vibration, but the TO says to do it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dietcokefiend posted:

If I had to guess he is referring to a lot of the dye-based penetrating chemicals they use to non-destructively test parts that help locate cracks under UV light. Having a UV tattoo in that field would be a bit of an inside joke.
Yeah. NDT at our place is generally flourescent penetrant (ASTM E-1417 is a pretty common standard for us), but for ferrous material we'll also use magnetic particle inspection (ASTM E-1444, for example).

If you're going to be :science: about it, NDT is of course any test that doesn't cause damage, but we specifically use the term to mean crack testing.

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...

Lowclock posted:

How does this even happen? Just gets that weak after tons of heat cycles? Sucking up rocks and poo poo?

Well, it was my old turbo.

I had a high end tune on the car, one that was at the limit of that turbo. I had the stock airbox setup (which is purported to be good to 400HP w/o becoming a bottleneck), so I kind of doubt that something got sucked in there.

It had a lot of shaft play, and I think that it was just spinning really fast and ground itself down against the housing at some insane RPM (like 100K RPM or more, these things are crazy fast).

It didn't even smoke very much when I decided to remove it, just a small amount when I would first start moving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hey so just crossposting this, tried to start my parts car up. Taking all bets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYhtmJWe7E

I started my usual "huh huh" laugh and about 10 seconds later ours starts in and we were in perfect sync.

It was magical.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Captain Crunk posted:

It had a lot of shaft play, and I think that it was just spinning really fast and ground itself down against the housing at some insane RPM (like 100K RPM or more, these things are crazy fast).

Unless your compressor housing is made out of unobtainium and is right below diamond on the Mohs scale, this doesn't seem plausible.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

VikingSkull posted:

I loving hate pitot tubes. We have to run an extension on them when we install our camera system, the extension sits right at SLAM YOUR loving EYE OR FOREHEAD INTO IT level when looking at the camera.

Also loving pilots not turning off pitot heat (melts the rubber extension tube) and I put my hand on it and BURN THE loving gently caress OUT OF MY HAND.

They usually arent red either.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

InitialDave posted:

Needless to say, getting off an end user or major supplier's poo poo list is rather hard work, so you don't gently caress around. Nothing makes you popular like being the guy who gets to tell the Director that nope, that $40,000 worth of parts is going in the bin, and yep, you are going to start again from scratch. A tenth of a thou is as good (well, bad) as a mile.

And on the other end, you got me, laying on my back in the nice warm Nevada sun, doing a roadside repair because the last three years of trailer inspections have been half-assed done....repairing a brake line with a ball point pen and some zip-ties.

feh, it's only air and 40 tons.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If automobile standards were even half as stringent as aeronautical standards, 99% of AI's cars would never ever be able to see the road.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A 2002 Toyota Tundra with a double gasket on the oil filter can explosively empty its crankcase in approximately ten seconds! :eng101:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007

Trying to get pictures of the crack/hosed up'ness of my mercedes engine block, I took this shot that makes me cry and confused at the same time. My mechanic didn't really explain what had broken, but it looks bad. I have more shots of the damage if this one doesn't display enough.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

rscott posted:

If automobile standards were even half as stringent as aeronautical standards, 99% of AI's cars would never ever be able to see the road.

Probably higher than that. Most vehicles off the showroom floor wouldnt even be on the drat road.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

radikewlism posted:

Trying to get pictures of the crack/hosed up'ness of my mercedes engine block, I took this shot that makes me cry and confused at the same time. My mechanic didn't really explain what had broken, but it looks bad. I have more shots of the damage if this one doesn't display enough.

I just changed the oil in my blazer, where's the problem again?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

rscott posted:

What's even scarier, a lot of us secretly desire to build experimental aircraft.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

oxbrain posted:

What's even scarier, a lot of us secretly desire to build experimental aircraft.

Secretly? gently caress that. Openly. I want a hummelbird.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oxbrain posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kfrb

"Aeronautical Insanity: Eh, duct tape ought to hold it"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KozmoNaut posted:

Yup. It sure will.

Although this isn't duct tape as you know it - it's made of aluminum for one, and the adhesive is extremely strong (and waterproof). In the industry, it's known as speed tape (or 600 mph tape, as it's supposedly good up to that airspeed).

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I hope there's some kind of solvent that would get rid of that poo poo once they're ready to actually fix it. I would hate to be the guy who has to go out with tape-off and some paper towels and try to clean that glue off for four hours.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

MEK will dissolve the glue residue in a hurry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oxbrain posted:

It will do the same to your kidneys. MEK is scary poo poo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Never heard of it. Commercially available?

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is banned at my work place. We use MPK (Methyl Propyl Ketone) It's not as good, but apparently less dangerous.

Edit:

Slung Blade posted:

Yes.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=33

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fascinating, learn something every day. Thanks guys.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

We end up speed taping something every other day, it's quite common on the line. It comes off relatively clean compared to say, duct tape. ISTR it being about 80 bucks a roll?

We once speedtaped an entire wing to body fairing on an A340 to stop a buzzing sound in flight; the aerodynamic seal was worn and flapping against the fuselage.
When the pilot was doing his walkaround, he asked "WTH is that?!?", to which we replied, "Your wings are falling off, mate".

Those pics of speed tape around windows are probably from a windshield change with no time to let the sealant cure. It's permissible to apply the tape over wet sealant so the plane can get out of dodge.

I always thought MEK is illegal in the USA? It's a staple in Canadian hangars; the old timers used to wash their hands in the stuff (and died young) :eek:

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It will do the same to your kidneys. MEK is scary poo poo.

Kidneys? I thought it just went after your nervous system.

Pro Tip: Don't drink industrial solvents.

Slung Blade posted:

Local hardware store should have it. It might be sold as Butanone. It's basically acetone with a methylene crammed in the middle. For cleaning solvent use you can think of it as a more aggressive acetone. It eats just about anything gummy, sticky, etc. Latex dissolves almost instantly on contact. Disposable nitrile gloves break down more slowly, but work in a pinch if you change them frequently.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So is MEK any good at freeing stuck bolts? :v:

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Pro Tip: Many industrial solvents are absorbed through the skin or inhaled. Use gloves and a respirator (or use in well ventilated area).

deviant. posted:

So is MEK any good at freeing stuck bolts? :v:

No, not at all. Use "Mouse Milk", LPS KB88, BreakFree, etc...

Edit:

MSDS: http://www.teamindustrialservices.com/msds/804-0004%20MEK.pdf

LOO fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 15, 2010

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Some Airbus hilarity:

Caused by a damaged wheel.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

tripsevens posted:

Some Airbus hilarity:

Caused by a damaged wheel.

Ouch. I can't imagine those ridiculous brakes are cheap. I figure the hub there is shot as well?

:signings:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KozmoNaut posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kfrb

Adhesive Insanity

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

oxbrain posted:

MEK will rapefuck a planter's wart. You can get it at any paint store or big box store.

That aluminum tape is also available about anywhere. Great for sealing the take down seams on UAVs to decrease drag.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

oxbrain posted:

Kidneys? I thought it just went after your nervous system.

Pro Tip: Don't drink industrial solvents.

Local hardware store should have it. It might be sold as Butanone. It's basically acetone with a methylene crammed in the middle. For cleaning solvent use you can think of it as a more aggressive acetone. It eats just about anything gummy, sticky, etc. Latex dissolves almost instantly on contact. Disposable nitrile gloves break down more slowly, but work in a pinch if you change them frequently.

We use MEK a bunch on my dads boat, and he always told me that it absorbs into your blood stream through your skin and will gently caress up your kidneys. Not sure if its true, since he told me that when I was using it to clean paint off my hands(I was around 12 at the time),but it wouldn't surprise me. And why did I have paint on my hands? The MEK dissolved parts of my gloves.

When I installed terrazzo floors, I worked with a poo poo load of xylene, which i think is worse than MEK. I worked 1 day mixing without a respirator and ended up getting sick as gently caress from the fumes. Granted I had a 55 gallon drum of the poo poo sitting next to me, but god drat that poo poo is nasty. That job prolly took a couple years off my life. I wish I took pictures of the big propane floor grinder we used on that job site, it was a mechanical failure waiting to happen. About 4,500lbs riding on 12 1" around cylindrical diamond stones, was made in the 70's and was definitely behind on maintenance. There was a bigass lever to engage the motor and start the stones spinning, but you couldn't reach it while holding the handle of the thing. There was a art of pulling the lever and really quickly getting back onto the handle before the whole thing took off. And the whole time your standing in a 1/2" of water. I had one of the little(~850lbs) floor grinders get away from me once and it took out a good chunk of drywall before I got to the power cable, I don't even want to think what one of the big ones would do.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 15, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Skyssx posted:

MEK will rapefuck a planter's wart. You can get it at any paint store or big box store.

That aluminum tape is also available about anywhere. Great for sealing the take down seams on UAVs to decrease drag.

There's a Global Hawk the maintainers call "Patches" because of all the speed tape. :shobon:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Browsing Youtube for rod knock videos I heard this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGCJoWrwV0

:froggonk:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Wrong Thread

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 15, 2010

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Browsing Youtube for rod knock videos I heard this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGCJoWrwV0

:froggonk:

"I dunno if you can hear that..."

gently caress me, I heard it before he walked up to the back of the car with my speakers turned down. Just put it out of its misery already.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I just got back from the Yukon, and outside of Fort Nelson BC the roads are a bit rough due to the abuse they take from the logging trucks in the area. We hit an unmarked bump just outside of town that caused this to happen to one of the rear wheel hubs off an `03 Ram 3500 at around 2 in the morning:

edit - and the wheel:

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

neckbeard posted:

I just got back from the Yukon, and outside of Fort Nelson BC the roads are a bit rough due to the abuse they take from the logging trucks in the area. We hit an unmarked bump just outside of town that caused this to happen to one of the rear wheel hubs off an `03 Ram 3500 at around 2 in the morning:

edit - and the wheel:

Jesus! How fast were you going and how big was this "bump"? I mean, those parts on that kind of truck are usually beefy as hell.