Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
It actually sounds like you have a pretty good opportunity to break out of the legal world into NGOs (both located in the US and abroad), if you still want to work in the same broad field but want new experiences. I know there are countless NGOs in Africa working with kids, particularly child soldiers, and you could probably lend a huge helping hand in developing their local practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

JudicialRestraints posted:

he basically told me to quit caring so much about grades and that working for a firm was for idiots anyway so he was doing me a favor.

Sounds like he cares about you, and wants to protect you from entering shitlaw. Stop being such a bloo bloo baby and listen to him for a change.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PMan_ posted:

So for almost 5 years now I've been an attorney with a local government agency that represents abused and neglected kids that have been taken away from their families. It's not a bad gig, but it's time for a change. I've been sending out resumes to other government agencies, but I'm also considering firms.

My question is: Does anyone have any tips on how to break out from government work and get into firms, or is it really all just about knowing people? In law school I was all about saving the world, so I kind of stayed away from all the networking opportunities with firms and what not, so I'm kind of on the outside looking in.

The other possible barrier is that I'm in a pretty narrow practice where I am now. I'm in court almost daily, but the law we use, regarding child abuse and neglect, is pretty much used only where I am now, and I don't really dip my feet into any other areas.

If you mean V100 big firms then I am sorry to say it is going to be almost impossible. I do not know about other firms.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blar posted:

You are still saying you slacked off. The difference is Solomon's response makes it sound like you went through a bad period before improving your study habits.
Exactly. They won't care about your grades quite as much if the bad grades were early, and it looks like it was a phase that you learned from.
This doesn't mean they won't dock you, but they will dock you less.

PMan_ posted:

So for almost 5 years now I've been an attorney with a local government agency that represents abused and neglected kids that have been taken away from their families. It's not a bad gig, but it's time for a change. I've been sending out resumes to other government agencies, but I'm also considering firms.

My question is: Does anyone have any tips on how to break out from government work and get into firms, or is it really all just about knowing people? In law school I was all about saving the world, so I kind of stayed away from all the networking opportunities with firms and what not, so I'm kind of on the outside looking in.

The other possible barrier is that I'm in a pretty narrow practice where I am now. I'm in court almost daily, but the law we use, regarding child abuse and neglect, is pretty much used only where I am now, and I don't really dip my feet into any other areas.
What I know about this area of law is that there is a lot of stuff that could be called "trial" experience (my PDs office handles these cases, though I don't know that much about the practice).
You have to realize that the average 5 year civil ligation associate at a mid-big law firm has perhaps argued a couple motions and has little real experience. This is your marketing point. You can learn the applicable areas of civil law faster than someone can learn trial skills.
Expect more luck with local mid firms than big law.
Also, you have a job, so that is a good starting point. You have a big leg up on unemployed 5 year people.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 11, 2010

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
So my poor CrimLaw grade has been offset by the A I just got in Professional Responsibility.

Yes, that's right, the first A I've gotten in law school is in Professional Responsibility.

I guess napping in class let the information permeate my subconscious.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I poor my heart out to you guys and don't even get a single reply?

That's it, I'm turning this car around.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Seriously, this is like a free money machine, and I live right next to EDVA so I can get to court really easily!
I'm working on a few of these cases right now. Recoveries have been pretty minmal in the few instances where there has been a recovery (e.g., about $6000 in the Forest Group remand).

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'd probably watch an episode or two, so long as the show doesn't get broken up by ads every five minutes or so. Television is an inferior form of entertainment, though, and your subject matter really isn't that great. Perhaps change the story so it's an unemployed lawyer in ancient Greece, and he can make a living being a sycophant or something.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

I'd probably watch an episode or two, so long as the show doesn't get broken up by ads every five minutes or so. Television is an inferior form of entertainment, though, and your subject matter really isn't that great. Perhaps change the story so it's an unemployed lawyer in ancient Greece, and he can make a living being a sycophant or something.

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher.
Dole Office Clerk: What?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a *bullshit* artist!
Comicus: *Grumble*...
Dole Office Clerk: Did you bullshit last week?
Comicus: No.
Dole Office Clerk: Did you *try* to bullshit last week?
Comicus: Yes!

quote:

gently caress I wanted to add to the pilot but got stuck with work. I liked it, though.

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Thanks for the responses, gives me a good place to start. And yes, I am definitely thinking small to mid-size firms, and family law does seem like the best fit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PMan_ posted:

Thanks for the responses, gives me a good place to start. And yes, I am definitely thinking small to mid-size firms, and family law does seem like the best fit.
Family law will make you a bitter person though. (Not that 300s [what we call child custody here in CA] won't)
Chicago eh? I know a bigwig in a biglaw up there, I'll see if I can find anything out about what they think.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Roger_Mudd posted:

Eh, VO narration is a pretty weak device, especially to open a pilot. Plus, I think it speaks to the condition of the economy if the lawyer gets downsized rather than fired for cause.

I'm seriously considering making an attempt to write a pilot. I'll post what I come up with for feedback.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Blinkz0rz posted:

Eh, VO narration is a pretty weak device, especially to open a pilot. Plus, I think it speaks to the condition of the economy if the lawyer gets downsized rather than fired for cause.

What's your arching serialized plot then if not "the case"? :colbert:

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Act 1 (first season) starts off with Big John thinking he was downsized. First few episodes are "case of the week stuff," to get us grounded in his world. Midway through the first season, he takes a case on behalf of someone who worked at his old firm -- senior partner's assistant or something of the sort. At the end of the episode, the assistant gets out of the country/into witness protection/whatever but not before dropping an enigmatic hint:

Assistant: I never thought it was fair what the senior partners did to you.
John: Lousy downsizing!
Assistant: Not the downsizing. I mean that business with <Bad Wolf/Save the Cheerleader/All Along the Watchtower/Dharma Initiative/One-Armed Man>.
John: Wait, what?
<click>

And the assistant is gone, wholly unreachable (or dead or...). So now John has his arc words for him to pursue.

Now the story arc starts in earnest. John has to do a string of jobs taking him back across the country in the other direction. End of act 1 is the job where he goes home. It ends with him receiving definite confirmation -- he was fired for some sinister reason, the downsizing was just the convenient cover story.

Act 2 is a little more sedentary -- focused around John's home city and old firm. Occasional jobs take him out of town, but he always manages to find himself orbiting his old firm. His old partner throws him some scraps. A loyal client leaves the firm and comes to him personally. At the end of act 2, he corners one of the middle-management types who confirms his growing suspicions, but adds an extra wrinkle. What the senior partners did, they did at the behest of some government types.

Act 3 is federal court. How high does the conspiracy go? Has John properly preserved his issues for appellate rear end-kicking?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
That sounds like a lot of trouble just for the protagonist to find out that the partners, facing lower revenues from government-related work due to budget cuts mandated by the economic downturn, were faced with the choice of firing their 1st and 2nd favorite associates versus their 3rd and 4th favorites associates and he lost out.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Anyone know how long MD bar essays are? I foolishly elected to handwrite rather than do the laptop poo poo. Is my hand going to fall off and die?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TyChan posted:

That sounds like a lot of trouble just for the protagonist to find out that the partners, facing lower revenues from government-related work due to budget cuts mandated by the economic downturn, were faced with the choice of firing their 1st and 2nd favorite associates versus their 3rd and 4th favorites associates and he lost out.

A profoundly unsatisfying conclusion to the plotline would be a pretty meta troll of the viewers imo

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TyChan posted:

Depending on how cheap it is to live there and the economic circumstances of the town, I suspect a less luxurious version of option d is more likely to happen. At some point, though, the work would really dry up because after a year or two, you've probably provided as many legal services as 1000 people could possibly want without actively sabotaging their personal and economic lives.

Keep in mind that a lot of people probably could use a lawyer on many things, but out of habit or monetary concerns choose not to have one. There's that problem to deal with too.

Forgot to reply to this - thanks.

It's a typical backwater Ontario town, meaning there's a small permanent population and an ebb + flow of cottagers, fishermen, hikers, etc. Potentially the transients cause occasional legal problems too, in case the local populace is bled dry as far as legal services are concerned.

So moving out there isn't a great idea, but if I can't find any work here after being licensed...

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

TyChan posted:

That's because the fourth season is his wrongful termination case against the senior partners.

In the final episode, he and the firm reach a settlement, the contents of which remain undisclosed to the viewer.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Alaemon posted:

words

Not enough trucking for my tastes.

/\/\
I do like the Soprano's ending.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
I thought this was going to be a comedy. So far, it sounds more like "Life" than "Northern Exposure".

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

What gets written at this time is wholly irrelevant. By the time the network gets done with it, the title will be Who Wants to Marry America's Next Top Litigator?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Roger_Mudd posted:

It can be something as simple as adjusting to his new life on the road. My take on the show was less about a conspiracy or serialized drama and more closely related to Northern Exposure and the "fish out of water in a new life with weird people and crazy situations."

But you know, I pictured it as a 30 minute show like Sports Night where it's funny, but it makes you think.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Alaemon posted:

What gets written at this time is wholly irrelevant. By the time the network gets done with it, the title will be Who Wants to Marry America's Next Top Litigator?

Definite point.

Also, if anyone speaks Spanish at a very high level and would be interested in checking out employment opportunities in Buenos Aires, I recently made some contacts down there while I spent a week there for some seminars.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

I foresee something in the vein of "The Apprentice", except at the end the winner gets deferred for a year

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Linguica posted:

Why the gently caress am I even taking the New Jersey bar exam? Their horrible poo poo website which literally has Geocities "under construction" animated gifs basically hid the laptop registration program information and it's already closed so now I have to handwrite an exam in an open sewer of a state I don't care about. Shoulda listened to Adar

Hrm... Do you have Internet Explorer 4? If not, the website says you may not be able to view it correctly. That or Netscape 5.

Netscape.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Just went to another graduation; apparently the university of Chicago has a law school. Not only that, but it's literally the ugliest law school I have ever seen. They have scrap iron on a pedestal outside, and inside their horrid looking building they have modern art depictions of mr. T in make-up and a little black dress. The graduation was held in a building about half the size that it needed to be, so plenty of people were left swearing at some obstructive pillar, and naturally the food tasted horrible. No school is perfect, but dear lord...

To add some positives, they had some professor talk about classical antiquity. That was evened out by the other speaker droning on about "poo-poo" (I poo poo you not).

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
I'm currently an undergrad in physics and am looking into my options for the future.
I'm not particularly interested in continuing on to grad school in physics, perhaps math or mech E instead. It has been suggested that I look into patent law. Being a lawyer doesn't really sound like my kind of thing, and from reading this thread, it doesn't seem like I should. So I'm curious if some one could shed some light it. Just googling around it seems like being a regular lawyer, and similar salaries as what was shown here in general.

Edit: I just noticed the last post was in feb, did we get a new thread?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

PastaSky posted:

This is the current thread. You're looking at a reg date.

IrritationX fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 13, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

PastaSky posted:

Being a lawyer doesn't really sound like my kind of thing, and from reading this thread, it doesn't seem like I should.

Don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer. Really.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

Don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer. Really.

This should probably be the first box on the flowchart

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

This should probably be the first box on the flowchart

Except that people will inevitably translate "well, I think so" or "my parents think it's a good idea" or "I like to argue" to mean "Yes, I want to be a lawyer"

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

PastaSky posted:

I'm currently an undergrad in physics and am looking into my options for the future.
I'm not particularly interested in continuing on to grad school in physics, perhaps math or mech E instead. It has been suggested that I look into patent law. Being a lawyer doesn't really sound like my kind of thing, and from reading this thread, it doesn't seem like I should. So I'm curious if some one could shed some light it. Just googling around it seems like being a regular lawyer, and similar salaries as what was shown here in general.

Absolutely don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer. This isn't a play-time fall-back daddy-wants-me-to-go-to-grad-school general education school. It's a very specific school that (while it doesn't actually teach you any skills) purports to teach you a specific set of skills that are only applicable to a specific set of jobs. A J.D. is 100% useless in any job that isn't a lawyer job, and will in fact make it almost impossible to find a real job because every non-lawyer employer on the planet somehow thinks that having a J.D. makes you overqualified for something. Ask every person in this thread who is frantically applying to Starbucks if their J.D. is an asset to non-lawyer jobs.

Also, just as a side note, I went to a very good but non T14 school. There were a grand total of two guys in my class with PhDs in hard sciences - one in Pharmaceuticals and one in BioChem or something. There was also a grand total of ONE patent firm hiring, and they hired a grand total of ONE person. They turned down the BioChem guy. Even though he got a 100% free ride when he applied, his life is still ruined because he had to take loans out for rent/books/food, lost three years' salary, and nobody on the planet will hire him. Big boy firms only hire from summer associate pools, and little firms / gov't people think the PhD makes him overqualified.

If you don't have a PhD before going to law school and you don't go to HYS, then your job prospects in the patent field are only slightly better than the rest of us. If you are smart enough to make through a physics undergrad, then you are smart enough not to go.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 13, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

Absolutely don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer. This isn't a play-time fall-back daddy-wants-me-to-go-to-grad-school general education school. It's a very specific school that (while it doesn't actually teach you any skills) purports to teach you a specific set of skills that are only applicable to a specific set of jobs. A J.D. is 100% useless in any job that isn't a lawyer job, and will in fact make it almost impossible to find a real job because every non-lawyer employer on the planet somehow thinks that having a J.D. makes you overqualified for something. Ask every person in this thread who is frantically applying to Starbucks if their J.D. is an asset to non-lawyer jobs.

Also, just as a side note, I went to a very good but non T14 school. There were a grand total of two guys in my class with PhDs in hard sciences - one in Pharmaceuticals and one in BioChem or something. There was also a grand total of ONE patent firm hiring, and they hired a grand total of ONE person. They turned down the BioChem guy. Even though he got a 100% free ride when he applied, his life is still ruined because he had to take loans out for rent/books/food, lost three years' salary, and nobody on the planet will hire him. Big boy firms only hire from summer associate pools, and little firms / gov't people think the PhD makes him overqualified.

If you don't have a PhD before going to law school and you don't go to HYS, then your job prospects in the patent field are only slightly better than the rest of us. If you are smart enough to make through a physics undergrad, then you are smart enough not to go.

The OP is pretty overcrowded already but I feel like this should be in there somewhere. Preferably in a flowchart box. At least the part about starbucks (still haven't heard back yet!)

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

BigHead posted:

If you are smart enough to make through a physics undergrad, then you are smart enough not to go.

That pretty much says it all.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

BigHead posted:

If you are smart enough to make through a physics undergrad, then you are smart enough not to go.

On the other hand...

PastaSky posted:

We might yet have our work cut out for us.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Oh sorry I've been posting in this old thread that is talking about how there are no jobs and that legal profession is awful.

I'm sure the new thread has a much brighter outlook.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

PastaSky posted:

It has been suggested that I look into patent law. Being a lawyer doesn't really sound like my kind of thing, and from reading this thread, it doesn't seem like I should.
First, the other posters are right that you shouldn't go to law school unless you're sure you want to practice law. Beyond that, the advice to look into patent law might have been good 5 years ago, but the field was hit hard in the recession and has yet to recover. For the foreseeable future having a tech background isn't going to be the golden ticket that some people think it is. Also, patent litigation isn't all that different from any other kind of litigation, and a lot of people think that patent prosecution is incredibly boring. I like prosecution, but I can't find work (I have a math and computer science background).

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
While law is in a bad place at least you are not chiropractic students. Something to think about to cheer you guys up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Forever Zero posted:

While law is in a bad place at least you are not chiropractic students. Something to think about to cheer you guys up.

I don't understand how this is supposed to cheer us up. Chiropractors are permitted by law to commit fraud and collect money, they have it pretty damned easy.