Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

entris posted:

I don't understand how this is supposed to cheer us up. Chiropractors are permitted by law to commit fraud and collect money, they have it pretty damned easy.

And their school is cheaper. Don't forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

And it probably teaches you how to practice chiropracty.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

diospadre posted:

And it probably teaches you how to practice chiropracty.

Which is teaching them how to practice fraud, a valuable life skill.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SWATJester posted:

Which is teaching them how to practice fraud, a valuable life skill.

You would think that we lawyers were taught this in law school, from the way people talk about our profession.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Nah, that would mean law school prepared us for something useful, which it obviously doesn't.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I like to think I'm more prepared to commit securities fraud after a few classes in that field.

Getting away with various felonies might be slightly easier if you can gerrymander some key procedural issues to go your way too.

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS

Dameius posted:

And their school is cheaper. Don't forget that.

Nope not at all. Think 150k debt with an avg starting salary of 40k. Also try going to the mall to set up a kiosk to get patients. Also the profession isn't respected at all because it is all quackery. Trust me lawyers have a much easier life than the life of freshly minted chiropractors.

http://www.wisconsinchiropractic.com/aca.htm

quote:

Reinventing the ACA
How to fix the Managed Care – Medicare – Chiropractic Leadership MESS

Many in the chiropractic profession are struggling financially. Whether it is a new graduate, or a well established chiropractor, incomes are under significant pressure. Unfortunately, no one on the national level appears to be responding. The membership of the ACA is very low because the average chiropractor thinks it would be a waste of money to join; and, as of the moment, they are right.

What is the problem? The ACA says it could accomplish more if it only had more members. The 55,000+ chiropractors (active/alive-not historical total) who do not belong to the ACA have no interest in joining until they see some results. The chiropractic profession is at an impasse (def. ‘a predicament affording no obvious escape.’ -Webster’s)– but in the meantime, very real problems are confronting the profession and all the profession is getting is excuses.

Pg. 4, Educational Institutions

When it comes to maximized the long-term potential of chiropractic, the profession has a dilemma. If the chiropractic profession wants to be perceived by the public in the same manner as engineers, geologists, physicists, biochemists, or medical doctors, it must attract the same type of individual to the profession as they do to theirs.

Government agencies and high school guidance counselors provide information about a career in chiropractic. Students interested in becoming a chiropractor may now compare the potential of a career in chiropractic alongside alternative careers for high-achieving students. While the chiropractic profession has attracted some of the brightest and most gifted, the typical student entering chiropractic today has changed along with the business opportunity.

The ACA needs to be concerned with the type of students being admitted to chiropractic colleges/universities. When students are unprepared to deliver the quality of health care demanded by consumers, or to handle the competitive business challenges in an era dominated by managed care, the profession suffers greatly.

You can see indication of these problems in:

• The deteriorating quality of advertising in which unsubstantiated claims of quality and/or superiority are made

• An increasing proportion of chiropractors who use gimmicks such as ‘free services’ or vastly reduce fees for the patients’ first visit in order to attract patients to their practices

• Chiropractors who under treat patients because of intimidation or constraints imposed by managed care or insurers

• Chiropractors who over treat patients worker’s compensation and/or personal injury (PI) patients to make up for the low reimbursement

The Money Shot….

The Wisconsin Chiropractic Association conducts an annual compensation survey in which more than 50% of the chiropractors in Wisconsin participate. In 2006, the mean income for male chiropractors with less than 3 years experience was $31,714. The mean income for female chiropractors with less than 3 years experience was $30,833. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the average starting salary for a liberal arts graduate in 2006 was $30,958. A chiropractic graduate spends an additional $100,000 - $125,000 only to find out that their salaries are comparable to a 4-year liberal arts graduate, INSTEAD of the much higher paying careers in engineering, geology, physics, biochemistry, or the medical profession.

Those incomes are for those chiropractors who ‘succeed.’ The chiropractic profession, unfortunately, has failures – and a much higher percentage than other health care professions.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services maintains a website that details the number and amount of defaulted HEAL loans (see chart).

Defaulted HEAL loans as of May, 2007

Discipline, Total Defaulted, Amount Due

Allopathic Medicine…134…$19,000,205
Chiropractic…623…$66,951,919
Clinical psychology…32…$3,031,897
Dentistry…218…$36,059,040
Health Administration…2…$70,192
Optometry…22…$1,769,415
Osteopathy…27…$4,574,761
Pharmacy…14…$1,018,577
Podiatry…83…$16,253,083
Public Health…5…$591,638
Veterinary Medicine…1…$47,537

Total Defaulted, Total Amount Due

1,161…$149,368,264

As of May 2007, defaults by chiropractic represent 45% of all defaulted loans. That statistic, in itself, is an incredible blow to the credibility of the career prospects in chiropractic. However, when you consider that the number of students enrolled in chiropractic colleges/universities is a small percentage of the total number of students in ALL health professions, the default rate of the chiropractors is staggering.

The data in the chart strongly suggests that the market for chiropractic services is NOT large enough to sustain the number of graduating students and/or that these graduates are not trained to meet the challenges upon graduation.

Forever Zero fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 14, 2010

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

SWATJester posted:

Nah, that would mean law school prepared us for something useful, which it obviously doesn't.

Law school taught me how to cheat at Railroad Tycoon. That's almost worth it.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Got a present from a client that was really sweet:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Forever Zero posted:

Nope not at all. Think 150k debt with an avg starting salary of 40k. Also try going to the mall to set up a kiosk to get patients. Also the profession isn't respected at all because it is all quackery. Trust me lawyers have a much easier life than the life of freshly minted chiropractors.

http://www.wisconsinchiropractic.com/aca.htm

So law school/chiropractic school are exactly the same.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

diospadre posted:

So law school/chiropractic school are exactly the same.

Uh, no. One of them is a school full of quack teachers and naive students, and the other is a school where they teach you how to manipulate the spine to achieve better health.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
What's the name of the database/ book that describes how a judicial order for [x] from a court should look? I can't remember the name and need it. Hugs.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Call the clerk?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

SWATJester posted:

Call the clerk?

That's me!

But I found it: Federal Procedural Forms.

bropocalypse now
Oct 20, 2008

PImp Ass Wizard !!
I'm thinkin about applying to UF law for grad school. It probably wont be paid for but it is well regarded in the region and I might explore the option of the tax law program because it is also well regarded. I'd say I have a decent shot of getting in, but I really have no idea. Talk me out of it?

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
No jobs, die alone, read the OP.
I will not allow myself to be trolled any further.

bropocalypse now
Oct 20, 2008

PImp Ass Wizard !!
I've read the OP, not trolling, just hoping someone has some relevant local knowledge etc

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

bropocalypse now posted:

I'm thinkin about applying to UF law for grad school. It probably wont be paid for but it is well regarded in the region and I might explore the option of the tax law program because it is also well regarded. I'd say I have a decent shot of getting in, but I really have no idea. Talk me out of it?

Well, the "tax law program" is an LL.M., a further graduate degree for people who already have a J.D. UF law school's tax classes are taught by the same professors, and often you will be taking them with the LLM students, but unless you're a lawyer already you can't enroll in UF's "tax law program."

That said, assuming you're a Florida resident who wants to live in and practice law in Florida, UF is easily the best choice. Very cheap, very low cost of living in Gainesville, and UF law alumni basically run the entire state, including a surprisingly large chunk of Tallahassee. Again, assuming that you're willing to keep your debt low and want to live and practice law in Florida, I'd recommend UF law even at (in-state) sticker price.

bropocalypse now
Oct 20, 2008

PImp Ass Wizard !!

prussian advisor posted:

Well, the "tax law program" is an LL.M., a further graduate degree for people who already have a J.D. UF law school's tax classes are taught by the same professors, and often you will be taking them with the LLM students, but unless you're a lawyer already you can't enroll in UF's "tax law program."

That said, assuming you're a Florida resident who wants to live in and practice law in Florida, UF is easily the best choice. Very cheap, very low cost of living in Gainesville, and UF law alumni basically run the entire state, including a surprisingly large chunk of Tallahassee. Again, assuming that you're willing to keep your debt low and want to live and practice law in Florida, I'd recommend UF law even at (in-state) sticker price.

Thank you, quality post

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

bropocalypse now posted:

I've read the OP, not trolling, just hoping someone has some relevant local knowledge etc

You talk about it being well regarded in the region, but I have no idea how you know this. Also, how many tax law jobs are in the region that aren't filled by students who attended more recognisable schools? Furthermore, why the hell do you want to do tax law, and at any rate this sounds like a terrible idea. Don't do it; only go to law school if you want to do criminal law, and even then only go if you get into a school that has a good chance at placing you in a job. Seriously.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

only go to law school if you want to do criminal law

I thought the mantra was don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. When did it get so narrowed down as to only if you want to do criminal law?

bropocalypse now
Oct 20, 2008

PImp Ass Wizard !!

Lykourgos posted:

You talk about it being well regarded in the region, but I have no idea how you know this. Also, how many tax law jobs are in the region that aren't filled by students who attended more recognisable schools? Furthermore, why the hell do you want to do tax law, and at any rate this sounds like a terrible idea. Don't do it; only go to law school if you want to do criminal law, and even then only go if you get into a school that has a good chance at placing you in a job. Seriously.

I've only done a little bit of research on UF specifically and apparently their tax program or whatever which I have clearly revealed loads of ignorance about is "well regarded" as I said. I'd love to do criminal law but I'm committed to exploring my options.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

prussian advisor posted:

UF's tax professors were also raided from several top schools, Columbia and NYU I believe being the primary ones.

Gainesville is also enormously nicer to live in than Tallahassee, which isn't saying much because it still sucks.

-e- Dean Jerry is also p cool.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

quepasa18 posted:

I thought the mantra was don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. When did it get so narrowed down as to only if you want to do criminal law?

The original was too broad; if you want to be an ambulance chaser or sell every waking hour to shitlaw, then you really don't know what you ought to want for yourself. It's been pointed out that, with few exceptions, government work is the best work. You could of course be a government civil attorney, or some sort of regulator, but let's be honest: if you want to get into a high class profession, then don't aim for the arse end of it. Therefore, criminal law; plus you do the most good there anyway, given the higher issues involved.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

You could of course be a government civil attorney, or some sort of regulator, but let's be honest: if you want to get into a high class profession, then don't aim for the arse end of it. Therefore, criminal law; plus you do the most good there anyway, given the higher issues involved.

While I mostly agree with what you're saying, the regulator keeping vile corporate interests restrained, or one defending the majesty of our planet's natural resources is in a far more noble position than the prosecutor satiating the rabble's thirst for blood and vengeance.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

bropocalypse now posted:

I'm committed to exploring my options.

Last time I uttered this phrase I woke up in a Oaxaca jail with my balls stuck in the neck of a tequila bottle. Law school is the academic equivalent.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

While I mostly agree with what you're saying, the regulator keeping vile corporate interests restrained, or one defending the majesty of our planet's natural resources is in a far more noble position than the prosecutor satiating the rabble's thirst for blood and vengeance.

Yet, prosecutors don't satiate the rabble's thirst any more than regulators do. Also, I think your misusing the word rabble/people; Prosecutors are the People, so they're quashing injustice in line with their own desire. They aren't some sort of soulless tool that acts to satiate a third-party's thirst.

Anyway, I'm glad you mostly agree with me, and getting in at the arse-end is still good. However, regulators just seem a little inferior in terms of their rank and power. I don't see regulators walking around the criminal courts, affording judges the opportunity to execute businessmen or incarcerate executives. I haven't seen regulators wield the same sort of moral authority, either; no judging the moral fibre of individuals, and recommending them for rehabilitation and what not.

Basically, if you pollute a lake, the regulator is going to fine you. How nice. Get that under the criminal code, though, and we can try the matter with oaken clubs, and have the chairman jailed for contempt of court when he surrenders.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lykourgos posted:

The original was too broad; if you want to be an ambulance chaser or sell every waking hour to shitlaw, then you really don't know what you ought to want for yourself. It's been pointed out that, with few exceptions, government work is the best work. You could of course be a government civil attorney, or some sort of regulator, but let's be honest: if you want to get into a high class profession, then don't aim for the arse end of it. Therefore, criminal law; plus you do the most good there anyway, given the higher issues involved.

Be careful, you're dangerously close to another ugly british teeth picture under your name.

TACOCHAT

I went to tortilleria nixtamal this weekend and it is excellent. It's approximately forty miles away from Manhattan (half an hour on the 7) and as a result the tacos are better there than any I have had in Manhattan. If you are in NY this summer (or live here and love tacos) then you should go. The fish tacos were only mediocre but the tamales and other tacos were absolutely fantastic.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

Yet, prosecutors don't satiate the rabble's thirst any more than regulators do. Also, I think your misusing the word rabble/people; Prosecutors are the People, so they're quashing injustice in line with their own desire. They aren't some sort of soulless tool that acts to satiate a third-party's thirst.

Anyway, I'm glad you mostly agree with me, and getting in at the arse-end is still good. However, regulators just seem a little inferior in terms of their rank and power. I don't see regulators walking around the criminal courts, affording judges the opportunity to execute businessmen or incarcerate executives. I haven't seen regulators wield the same sort of moral authority, either; no judging the moral fibre of individuals, and recommending them for rehabilitation and what not.

Basically, if you pollute a lake, the regulator is going to fine you. How nice. Get that under the criminal code, though, and we can try the matter with oaken clubs, and have the chairman jailed for contempt of court when he surrenders.

Any decent regulatory statute affords the regulator the ability to refer the matter to the criminal courts anyway :colbert:

Oaken clubs do sound like a fabulous perk, though.

TACOCHAT

Toronto-area goons check out Burrito Boyz, which has two locations in the area. The food is awesome, the staff are in various stages of the prison system, and authentic Mexi-rap plays non-stop (or, in darker times, reggaeton).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigHead posted:

Absolutely don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer. This isn't a play-time fall-back daddy-wants-me-to-go-to-grad-school general education school. It's a very specific school that (while it doesn't actually teach you any skills) purports to teach you a specific set of skills that are only applicable to a specific set of jobs. A J.D. is 100% useless in any job that isn't a lawyer job, and will in fact make it almost impossible to find a real job because every non-lawyer employer on the planet somehow thinks that having a J.D. makes you overqualified for something. Ask every person in this thread who is frantically applying to Starbucks if their J.D. is an asset to non-lawyer jobs.

Also, just as a side note, I went to a very good but non T14 school. There were a grand total of two guys in my class with PhDs in hard sciences - one in Pharmaceuticals and one in BioChem or something. There was also a grand total of ONE patent firm hiring, and they hired a grand total of ONE person. They turned down the BioChem guy. Even though he got a 100% free ride when he applied, his life is still ruined because he had to take loans out for rent/books/food, lost three years' salary, and nobody on the planet will hire him. Big boy firms only hire from summer associate pools, and little firms / gov't people think the PhD makes him overqualified.

If you don't have a PhD before going to law school and you don't go to HYS, then your job prospects in the patent field are only slightly better than the rest of us. If you are smart enough to make through a physics undergrad, then you are smart enough not to go.

Your friend should apply to be a patent examiner. That's what I did with my JD. And patent examining is one job where a JD is not necessary but is definitely a plus.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Oaken clubs do sound like a fabulous perk, though.

Our judges have double-handed gavels, too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lykourgos posted:

Don't do it; only go to law school if you want to do criminal law, and even then only go if you get into a school that has a good chance at placing you in a job. Seriously.
If you want to go into criminal law go to law school in the state you wat to practice in, work for a DA/PDs office during law school (likely for free), and expect to need to work for free out of law school for a bit.
This may be different in some areas of the country, but government employment isn't any easier to get than non-poo poo law.
But the lifestyle is better.

Actually, I'd note the county council is far more of a cushy job than criminal law.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Anyone have any really good made-up excuses for wanting to work in a specific state that you have no connection to (and haven't even ever been to)?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HooKars posted:

Anyone have any really good made-up excuses for wanting to work in a specific state that you have no connection to (and haven't even ever been to)?
What state?
(If California, what part?)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

HooKars posted:

You are marrying someone who is from there. That's about it.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HooKars posted:

Like a few have said now, engaged to someone from that state is the standard.

I managed to find one client over the last month and did some relatively simple things for them. Why didn't someone else line up already? :( drat it, I'm going to starve when deferral money runs out.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

HooKars posted:

And frankly, I thought that this was a post-law-school only thing for some reason, but I am sort of surprised how often headhunters ask me about my local roots.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

wacko_- posted:

Like a few have said now, engaged to someone from that state is the standard.

This seems easier for a guy. Do I have to go out and buy a cubic zirconia ring? My story will be awesome... I've already moved to Missouri for the guy, now apparently I'm following him on to Tennessee in my little made up story.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HooKars posted:

This seems easier for a guy. Do I have to go out and buy a cubic zirconia ring? My story will be awesome... I've already moved to Missouri for the guy, now apparently I'm following him on to Tennessee in my little made up story.
How does this work when you get the job?

Tennessee, make him your cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

How does this work when you get the job?

You break up?