Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Harry Privates posted:

Where can I start with Yo La Tengo and Built to Spill?
start with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6omZ5GsuGrI :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

KevinHeaven posted:

Get Substance, its a 2 disc compilation of their best songs from about 1981-87. If that's not enough, get Power, Corruption and Lies as well as Brotherhood.

These guys come up a lot, and it's always this (very much correct) advice. Their back catalog is mostly superb, although I recommend stopping at Technique. That was their last truly great record. Republic is interesting from a "Downfall of Factory Records" perspective, and it contains the last classic genius single they would ever record. Everything after (and including a lot of the Republic tracks, and I like that record more than I should) just sounds like phoned in gay disco.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
Where do I start with Einstürzende Neubauten?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Where do I start with Ani DiFranco and Electric Light Orchestra?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

KevinHeaven posted:

Where do I start with Einstürzende Neubauten?

Halber Mensch and that one that begins with a Z are the best of their early ones. Kollaps is a bit all over the place but good anyway. The later stuff has some highlights but doesn't compare to the first few LPs, Silence Is Sexy is probably the best of the '90s albums.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

WeaponX posted:

Where do I start with Ani DiFranco?

She has a staggering number of releases out there. Her self-titled first album is total girl-powered singer/songwriter loving and makes a decent entry point for her folkiest material. Not a Pretty Girl, Dilate, or Little Plastic Castle are also very good (possibly in that order), however they are much more deliberately produced studio rock with some scattered bits of jam sessions and poetry. The Living In Clip 2-disc recording is her best live album and covers a bunch of her first few years with some good stage banter. And the Revelling/Reckoning double album shows off a more mature sound with a range of styles (some jazz, blues, and cool instrumentals) mixed in with the folk/rock and pop-esque stuff.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

WeaponX posted:

Electric Light Orchestra?

If you like Beatles-y rock, you have to get Out of the Blue and A New World Record. If you're more into prog-y music, I'd say get their debut.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Where do I start with Royce Da 5'9? Really liked his contributions on various Eminem albums.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?

BeigeJacket posted:

Wheres a good place to begin with Pat Metheny?

I'd check out Path Metheny Group's live album Road To You. Then check out the tracks Last Train Home, Letter From Home, and Beat 70.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Where do I start with Sublime and Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Baram posted:

Where do I start with Sublime?
I would start with the three albums they produced

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Baram posted:

Where do I start with Sublime?

They only have three actual albums. Their self-titled third one (after Bradley Nowell OD'd on heroin) is their best and has most of their radio hits on it. Get the 2-disc Deluxe version if you can find it. The other two are fairly uneven, but 40oz. To Freedom is a little less B-sidey and more listenable than Robbin' The Hood. The real B-side album (Second-hand Smoke) is okay.

I haven't heard the live album (Stand By Your Van), but the first major tribute album (Look At All The Love We Found) does have some pretty interesting bands on it. Note: I don't know anything about the post-death reformations (Long Beach Dub Allstars/Shortbus and Sublime With Rome).

e:f;b.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 13, 2010

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Baram posted:

Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Work your way back from there, maybe also try Californication if you like their modern pop-rock sound.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?

Baram posted:

Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Stay away from Stadium Arcadium. Listen to Blood Sugar Sex Magik, if you like that then you might like some of their funkier 80's stuff on Mother's Milk (Knock Me Down, Taste The Pain, Fire, Higher Ground etc). If you're not so keen on their funk side, check out By The Way, it's a really good pop/rock record with loads of catchy songs. Californication has some of their best singles of their entire career (Scar Tissue, Californication, Otherside, Road Trippin', Around The World). One Hot Minute (album) is a change of pace, they got a Dave Navarro from Jane's Addiction on the guitar and the album had a different feel to it.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Where would people recommend I start on with Blind Melon and Alice in Chains? I've been a grunge fan for a while and it's increasingly been getting my goat that I've never really given either of these bands as much attention as they deserve.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Sheriff Falc posted:

Where would people recommend I start on with Blind Melon and Alice in Chains? I've been a grunge fan for a while and it's increasingly been getting my goat that I've never really given either of these bands as much attention as they deserve.

Aside from the extremely overplayed "Man in the Box", and mostly overlooked "We Die Young" their first album Facelift is incredibly mundane and irritating hair metal. There's a great song in the opener, but for the most part you can ignore the album. Dirt is probably their best contribution to that flanneled 90's sound, and is definitely a nice thick slab of junkie rock. I would so very much start here. I was never a fan of the tree legged dog self-titled album, but your mileage may vary.

Aside from Dirt I strongly suggest you seek out the two mostly acoustic ep's Sap and Jar of Flies. Some of the band's best work outside of Dirt can be found here. Their MTV Unplugged release is pretty keen as well, especially since it does wonders to showcase the harmonies Cantrell and Stayley put into the songs.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

hatelull posted:

Aside from the extremely overplayed "Man in the Box", and mostly overlooked "We Die Young" their first album Facelift is incredibly mundane and irritating hair metal. There's a great song in the opener, but for the most part you can ignore the album. Dirt is probably their best contribution to that flanneled 90's sound, and is definitely a nice thick slab of junkie rock. I would so very much start here. I was never a fan of the tree legged dog self-titled album, but your mileage may vary.

Aside from Dirt I strongly suggest you seek out the two mostly acoustic ep's Sap and Jar of Flies. Some of the band's best work outside of Dirt can be found here. Their MTV Unplugged release is pretty keen as well, especially since it does wonders to showcase the harmonies Cantrell and Stayley put into the songs.

Thanks, I'm going to pick Dirt up on iTunes and see how I fare with it.

To the person a couple of pages back who wanted Steely Dan recommendations: Can't Buy a Thrill and The Royal Scam were always standouts to me. The reason I recommend them is because The Royal Scam firstly features guitar more heavily than most of their albums, so it might be more accessible to somebody not used to the jazzy style. It also has some great standout songs (Kid Charlemagne, Caves of Altamira, The Fez, The Royal Scam) and no tracks that really let the album down.
Can't Buy a Thrill is great because it is quintessential Steely Dan and features some of the strongest work the band ever put out: Do It Again, Reelin' In the Years, Midnight Cruiser and Kings are all outstanding songs.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where would be the best place to start with Melt Banana?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Where would be the best place to start with Melt Banana?

Not sure if it's the best (having not listened to their discography), but I enjoyed Cell Scape.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

For Blind Melon, I'd recommend the self titled. It's got the hit everybody knows which is No Rain, and it's also got amazing stuff like Tones of Home, Soak The Sin, Paper Scratcher, and so on. It's really just a fantastic album from front to back, so it's a great place to start.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

hatelull posted:

Facelift rules dude. "Man In the Box,"" Sea of Sorrow,"" Sunshine,""Bleed The Freak,""Put You Down,""It Aint Like That,""I Know Somethin (Bout You)" and "Love Hate Love" are all great songs. I find the influence of Hair Metal on the album to be pretty interesting.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!
My friend recommended that I listen to Venetian Snares about 4 years ago. I finally am wanting to branch out more into that style of music, but his discography is giant. Where do I start? Thanks :)

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Holy Dread! posted:

My friend recommended that I listen to Venetian Snares about 4 years ago. I finally am wanting to branch out more into that style of music, but his discography is giant. Where do I start? Thanks :)

Rossz csillag alatt született and My Downfall for his stuff with modern classical in it (this is what most people listen to) or Winnipeg Is a Frozen Shithole if you're looking for his more traditional breakcore stuff.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

wlokos posted:

For Blind Melon, I'd recommend the self titled. It's got the hit everybody knows which is No Rain, and it's also got amazing stuff like Tones of Home, Soak The Sin, Paper Scratcher, and so on. It's really just a fantastic album from front to back, so it's a great place to start.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to pick this one up too.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

micropenis posted:

I'd check out Path Metheny Group's live album Road To You. Then check out the tracks Last Train Home, Letter From Home, and Beat 70.

Thanks, really liking this. Never quite realised how much Phish borrowed from this guy (in their earlier days anyway)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Where do I start with Sparks?

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

dailydares posted:

Kimono My House is by far their best. Propaganda and Angst in my Pants are really good too. In Outer Space is good, but a little more standard 80s pop stuff. I also like No. 1 in Heaven.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

insomne posted:

Rossz csillag alatt született and My Downfall for his stuff with modern classical in it (this is what most people listen to)

Is there more like this? I really like those two albums, but not so much the plain old breakcore stuff.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

ultrafilter posted:

Is there more like this? I really like those two albums, but not so much the plain old breakcore stuff.

I'm not really sure. I'm not too into breakcore but you can try more IDM-ish music like Aphex Twin or Boy Is Fiction or a bunch of other stuff if you haven't checked those guys out already.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Sheriff Falc posted:

I just want to second that you pick up Dirt and Jar of Flies. Both are great. Jar of Flies is, to this day one of my 10 favorite albums of all time. Their Unplugged album is also worth owning, but only after you have the essentials.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

dailydares posted:

Kimono My House if you're interested in their glam rock output.
No. 1 in Heaven if you're interested in their synthpop output.
Angst In My Pants if you're interested in their new wave output.
Lil' Beethoven if you're interested in their orchestral pop output (the genre they're the most consistently good in).

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Where to start with Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly?

I'm very much an album-oriented person, and I look with disdain upon Greatest Hits compilations, but it seems that despite actually releasing albums, most early rock 'n' rollers are only available nowadays via such compilations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Buddy Holly only released three albums whilst he was alive and had a smattering of posthumous singles so TBH unless you feel like splashing out on the whole discography you're probably best off just grabbing a decent compilation CD. I can't speak as much for Roy Orbison, but Rock n' Roll in general was a singles-based genre until the mid to late 60's, so you're probably best off doing the same with him.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 20, 2010

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Recently I was going through my playlist on iTunes, and I realized that Lou Reed pops up here and there (Trainspotting soundtrack, Adventureland soundtrack, new Gorillaz album, etc) and is usually the best track to be found. I don't actually have any Lou Reed stuff outside of this though, and I've just realized this probably means I'm missing out.

Where do I go from here?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Recently I was going through my playlist on iTunes, and I realized that Lou Reed pops up here and there (Trainspotting soundtrack, Adventureland soundtrack, new Gorillaz album, etc) and is usually the best track to be found. I don't actually have any Lou Reed stuff outside of this though, and I've just realized this probably means I'm missing out.

Where do I go from here?

Asked on the last page...

A Violence Gang posted:

Transformer. (Assuming you mean post-Velvet Underground, otherwise start with them.)

And for VU, start with The Velvet Underground & Nico.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Next question: how do I get into dubstep? I know literally nothing about the genre and couldn't name a single artist. As someone who mostly listens to contemporary classical and indie/alt-rock... where should I begin?

slowdave posted:

If you have 70-80 bucks to spare, the Works boxset is definitely worth getting.

I got this boxset.

I do not regret it.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Popcorn posted:

Next question: how do I get into dubstep? I know literally nothing about the genre and couldn't name a single artist. As someone who mostly listens to contemporary classical and indie/alt-rock... where should I begin?

the biggest label in dubstep is Hyperdub, and their 5-year anniversary 2-cd compilation, titled '5 : 5 years of Hyperdub', is a very solid smattering of the best names in dubstep. I'm also a huge fan of Starkey and Skream's LPs, both of those are solid starting points. Additionally, Zomby's 'Where Were U In 92' was one of my favorite albums of 09, but it's so rooted in rave that it might not be a good starting point.

EDIT: there are people who know way more about this stuff than I do, and they will be able to give you better recs. Still, '5 Years...' is a solid starting point.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Where do I start with Elvis? Like, back when he was cool, before he got all fat and Christian/country or whatever. I know literally nothing about Elvis but apparently he's pretty famous. K thx~*

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Handen posted:

Where do I start with Elvis? Like, back when he was cool, before he got all fat and Christian/country or whatever. I know literally nothing about Elvis but apparently he's pretty famous. K thx~*
with 90% of 50's rock & roll it's the earlier the better and Elvis is no exception. "Elvis" with the London Calling-styled lettering (I know that's backwards) is an excellent album and I've got a compilation called Elvis 56 that's pretty good too. They were releasing Elvis albums every few months so I really don't have a full knowledge of what's good, but the music from King Creole (his favorite film) was pretty good. His '68 Comeback special had a lot more effort put into it than most of his releases and it shows. You'll probably see Aloha Live via Satellite everywhere but it's pretty Vegas-ey, don't bother unless you find an LP for like a dollar (very likely)

Like any monster pop star, Elvis's appeal is only halfway the music. His showmanship is incredible but he's wasn't consistently better than a lot of other rockabilly artists out there.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I went through this whole thread and I didn't see it, so, where do I start with The Black Keys?