Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Master_Odin posted:

What are good Noise Pop/Rock groups? I've been getting into No Age recently and would like bands like them (or more hardcore noise poppy if that makes sense is fine). Dum Dum Girls is also a band I enjoy and fits that description as well I believe.

I think the Dum Dum Girls and No Age sound totally different, especially with No Age's ambient drone thing. Check out Times New Vikings, Japanther, and Lovvers. Eat Skull and Psychedelic Horseshit do the whole super lo-fi pop-punk thing, but take it to an extreme level, so you might not be as into them.

As for The Dum Dum Girls, they're pretty heavily rooted in early Twee / C86 stuff, so listen to shpladoinkle's recs and also check out:
The Aislers Set
Slack
Tallulah Gosh *** (this and Black Tambourine are the biggest DDG sound-alikes IMHO. Tallulah Gosh have several songs that could have been DDG material (The Girl With Strawberry Hair, Way of The World, Break Your Face)
White Town
and The Vivian Girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Master_Odin, try Male Bonding and Pens. Also Wives, Randy & Dean's old band. It might also be worth your time to look into the whole Smell scene that No Age is associated with. You might enjoy Abe Vigoda and Mika Miko the most out of that scene, both these bands released records on Dean's label, Post Present Medium, and are pretty stylistically similar to No Age.

But like baberaham said, No Age really aren't that similar to Dum Dum Girls. In addition to what's already been recommended, a decent amount of the stuff on Woodsist/Captured Tracks record labels might be up your alley. Blank Dogs, Real Estate, Beach Fossils, &c. Dee Dee released a collaboration with Blank Dogs under the name The Mayfair Set which is pretty good, too. Best Coast and Grass Widow are also probably worth giving a listen.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 7, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

Is microhouse worth getting into? Where do i start?

Yeah, I think so. Get Akufen's Fabric 17 and Daniel Bell - The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back as an intro to the North American style that got labeled first as 'microhouse', but also check out Perlon Records Superlongevity 3 (or 2, or 4, they're all good really, just get the mixed cd not the unmixed compilation album) and Dominik Eulberg - Kreucht & Fleucht which is more like the German style - this kind of stuff is usually called minimal house or just minimal these days cause it crosses over so much with minimal techno. Another German one I like a lot is Tiefschwarz's Time Warp mix. From there you should start checking out individual artists you like and see what labels they release stuff on and get more of their compilation albums, microhouse (or 'minimal house' as theyve pretty much become synonymous). are singles oriented genres where many artists don't put out full length albums, just mixes and compilations. A few full CDs i like a lot though are Noze - Songs on the Rocks and Wighnomy Bros - Remikks Potpourri 1 and 2.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 7, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

dailydares posted:

Master_Odin, try Male Bonding and Pens. Also Wives, Randy & Dean's old band. It might also be worth your time to look into the whole Smell scene that No Age is associated with. You might enjoy Abe Vigoda and Mika Miko the most out of that scene, both these bands released records on Dean's label, Post Present Medium, and are pretty stylistically similar to No Age.

But like baberaham said, No Age really aren't that similar to Dum Dum Girls. In addition to what's already been recommended, a decent amount of the stuff on Woodsist/Captured Tracks record labels might be up your alley. Blank Dogs, Real Estate, Beach Fossils, &c. Dee Dee released a collaboration with Blank Dogs under the name The Mayfair Set which is pretty good, too. Best Coast and Grass Widow are also probably worth giving a listen.

You might enjoy Abe Vigoda if you're a No Age fan, but I wouldn't say they really sound alike. However, I totally forgot to mention Mika Miko and Wives, thanks.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Master_Odin posted:

What are good Noise Pop/Rock groups? I've been getting into No Age recently and would like bands like them (or more hardcore noise poppy if that makes sense is fine). Dum Dum Girls is also a band I enjoy and fits that description as well I believe.

Give Male Bonding a listen, you might like them.

Also: Coughs, The Hospitals, Awesome Color, Little Claw.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Skilleddk posted:

I'm looking for stuff similar to Crystal Castles. My favorite songs from them are:

Alice Practice
Love and Caring
Baptism
Celestica
Suffocation

Sleigh Bells have been making a lot of noise recently and they have a similar aesthetic, check them out?

Couple Tracks:
Infinity Guitars
Tell 'Em

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am a fan of "layered" music that has a lot to explore, yet has a melody. I am listening to a lot of Devin Townsend right now which is fantastic for this kind of thing. I am still finding new elements in his last two albums. Heavier stuff is preferred. I don't mind bands like Muse, though I am not really a big fan of their latest album. I have all of Devin's side projects, as well as his work with Strapping Young Lad.

Any recommendations?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Any specific works you want to point out for DT? He's kind of eclectic. I know that's part of the draw (believe me), but knowing a song or two in specific will help a bit, especially with how much his catalog can vary.

For the meantime, try out:
Soilwork (Figure number five, natural born chaos)
Opeth
Disarmonia Mundi

As for Muse:
Mute Math

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 9, 2010

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Dead Pressed posted:

Any specific works you want to point out for DT? He's kind of eclectic. I know that's part of the draw (believe me), but knowing a song or two in specific will help a bit, especially with how much his catalog can vary.

For the meantime, try out:
Soilwork
Opeth
Disarmonia Mundi

It is hard to pinpoint just one or two. I am not a big fan of "Hummer," if that helps. Otherwise, the first songs that come to mind are "Supercrush," "Tiny Tears" (I like the waltz solo) and "Pixillate."

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I have Opeth, but the other two I'll have to look into.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Rusty Kettle posted:

It is hard to pinpoint just one or two. I am not a big fan of "Hummer," if that helps. Otherwise, the first songs that come to mind are "Supercrush," "Tiny Tears" (I like the waltz solo) and "Pixillate."

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I have Opeth, but the other two I'll have to look into.

You'd really like cynic.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am a fan of "layered" music that has a lot to explore, yet has a melody. I am listening to a lot of Devin Townsend right now which is fantastic for this kind of thing. I am still finding new elements in his last two albums. Heavier stuff is preferred. I don't mind bands like Muse, though I am not really a big fan of their latest album. I have all of Devin's side projects, as well as his work with Strapping Young Lad.

Any recommendations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xakusOLnvPk

I can't plug this enough, this fits your bill dead on.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Can anyone recommend some Shpongle-type ambient music? I've heard most of the simliar artists lists on last.fm and what not, but those just tend to be really electronic/fast/trance instead of just "nature-like" if that makes sense. Something I'd be able to fall asleep to

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Hirez posted:

Can anyone recommend some Shpongle-type ambient music? I've heard most of the simliar artists lists on last.fm and what not, but those just tend to be really electronic/fast/trance instead of just "nature-like" if that makes sense. Something I'd be able to fall asleep to

Take a look in the ambient megathread in this forum, you could start with Brian Eno (Music for Airports) or perhaps Biosphere (Substrata)

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

Roil posted:

So I'm reaaaaaally into The Glitch Mob lately - glitch hop, grimey, hip hop speed music. Who else should I be looking into for this kind of sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnVduIY75Y

well, edIT is one of the members of the glitch mob and he's got a couple of albums out, both pretty good. certified air raid material is the better of the two, I think. then there's lazer sword, which is low limit and lando kal. lazer sword's blap to the future megamix is great. there's a bunch of dudes with roughly that sound rumbling around the west coast atm -- mochipet, nosaj thing, eprom, etc.

here, this should help: http://glitchhopforum.com/glitch-hop-music/new-glitch-hop-start-here-t1800.html

be advised though, for every great "glitch-hop" song there's a couple dozen derivative, boring pieces of poo poo. though I guess that's true of any genre.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Ok so I have been listening to Justice far too much for some while now.

I cant get enough.

Can anyone reccomend similiarly crunchy/spine shivering electro?

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Lemonus posted:

I cant get enough.

You'll probably like stuff like Danger, Soulwax, Hot Pink Delorean, Burns, Jokers of the Scene, Boys Noize, the Bloody Beetroots. That's all the bloghouse I can think of at the moment. Just go on hypem.com and look around for a bit to see what you like.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Lemonus posted:

I cant get enough.

Huoratron

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!
So my roommate is trying to get into listening to some heavier music. He's liked Converge (Axe to Fall album specifically), Krallice, Baroness, and iwrestledabearonce a lot. He's not too in to pure thrashing/double-bass stuff at all, though.

I know that's a bit of a spread, but he's looking for some other stuff to get into that's a lot like this. What would you all suggest for him to start listening to?

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I feel like he might get a kick out of both Electric Wizard's 'Dopethrone' and Cursed's 'III' so suggest that and let me know what he says.

Chairman Moo
Apr 10, 2006

blue squares posted:

I'm in a stage in my life right now where I feel really lost in what I want to do. I'm confused as to who I am and where my life is going. I'd like to listen to something that I can identify with in regards to these feelings. Sorry if I'm being vague, I'm not sure how to put what I'm feeling into words.

I always go back to Sneaker Pimp's album, Splinter. Elder's recommendation of Fever Ray is good as well.

Anyways, good luck with figuring it out. Lord knows I haven't :smith:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
What are some good long track songs in the vain of Jesu's Infinity?

I've always had that motherfucker on my top 5, but Infinity just gives me goosebumps all over.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

This is kinda a weird and seemingly very nerdy request, but I'm looking for music similar to Totems of the Grizzlemaw, which is on the Wrath of the Lich King soundtrack. Last.fm has no recommendations for it. I suppose it's similar to Nordic Folk music, but I'm entirely unfamiliar with the genre.

I tried to listen to some Solitudes tracks, to see if they were similar, but they're all filled with pianos and birds chirping, which is not what I want. I just want that soothing northern instrumental music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFUBpuaL20 <--here's the song

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

OgreNoah posted:

This is kinda a weird and seemingly very nerdy request, but I'm looking for music similar to Totems of the Grizzlemaw, which is on the Wrath of the Lich King soundtrack. Last.fm has no recommendations for it. I suppose it's similar to Nordic Folk music, but I'm entirely unfamiliar with the genre.

I tried to listen to some Solitudes tracks, to see if they were similar, but they're all filled with pianos and birds chirping, which is not what I want. I just want that soothing northern instrumental music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFUBpuaL20 <--here's the song

Yndi Halda. You'll thank me later.

Edit - Yndi Halda songs build to a big climax towards the end as Post-Rock often does, but the beginning captures that Nordic ambience I think you're after.

Twoiism fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 15, 2010

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chairman Moo posted:

I always go back to Sneaker Pimp's album, Splinter.

Hey, thanks a lot. I've never listened to "Triphop" before and it's pretty cool. What else should I listen to, NMD?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Holy Dread! posted:

So my roommate is trying to get into listening to some heavier music. He's liked Converge (Axe to Fall album specifically), Krallice, Baroness, and iwrestledabearonce a lot. He's not too in to pure thrashing/double-bass stuff at all, though.

I know that's a bit of a spread, but he's looking for some other stuff to get into that's a lot like this. What would you all suggest for him to start listening to?

Fuckin' Boris, man.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I'm looking for some up tempo early Gospel music in the vein of Sister Rosetta Tharpe (so maybe less of the vocal-heavy stuff like Mahalia Jackson and more emphasis on guitar).

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Pewburners and roots/blues influenced gospel? For most of this kind of stuff you're not looking at many individual artists since a lot of it only survives in comps and the sources were 78s or 45s.

Fire In My Bones - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NACY72
Big 3CD set with some seriously good tracks, Amazon has previews of everything.

Arhoolie has a number of gospel lps that they've kept in print for awhile, but the most uptempo is probably Louis Overstreet: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000001L1

Missippi Records has a couple of gospel LPs, but Life Is A Problem is probably the best one.

As for individual groups, see if you can hunt down best of comps from early material (may be sketchy, since early catalog ownership is iffy): Dixie Hummingbirds, Lula Collins, Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, Sensational Nightingales (esp w/ Julius Cheeks or his solo stuff), Swan Silvertones. There's a handful of specific labels that covered a lot of this material in 60s that had a *ton* of output, but if you're going after og copies then best ofs and comps are the way to roll.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

blue squares posted:

Hey, thanks a lot. I've never listened to "Triphop" before and it's pretty cool. What else should I listen to, NMD?

Portishead is the absolute best trip-hop had to offer. All three of their albums are amazing, but I'd start with the first two, "Dummy" and "Portishead." Many love Massive Attack (try the album "Mezzanine") or Morcheeba (they have a "Best of" compilation that would be worthwhile). The Lovage album "Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By" is highly sexual trip-hop, but the lyrics are so over-the-top as to become humorous. Those should get you started. I love trip-hop, but unfortunately the heyday for that sound was in the late '90s.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

JehovahsWetness posted:

Wow, thanks. Those are pretty much exactly the kind of pointers I was looking for.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Endorsing JW 100%, also if you're looking for guitar check out Rev. Charlie Jackson, Elder Utah Smith (the I Got Two Wings compilation also has some Rev. Lonnie Farris) and the aforementioned Overstreet, all of whom have had their work compiled onto CD or vinyl.

I've never heard of any other female guitarists like Rosetta, and the biography I'm reading on her really paints her as unique and a trailblazer for playing guitar and the style she carried as a gospel artist.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 16, 2010

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

blue squares posted:

My favourite trip hop album is probably Lushlife by Bowery Electric. Definitely worth having a listen to.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Farts Domino posted:

I've never heard of any other female guitarists like Rosetta, and the biography I'm reading on her really paints her as unique and a trailblazer for playing guitar and the style she carried as a gospel artist.

Barbara Lynn is probably the closest I can think of and I've heard a couple of gospel standards from her, but yeah it's kind of a stretch comparison. My favorite Lynn stuff is the more straight soul stuff anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXH_jh6PXkE

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
I like a lot of this new electro hip hop or whatever its called, specifically I love Chiddy Bang's Opposite of Adults, and Kid Cudi's last album. What else is good like this?

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
I am interested in crust punk. I am familiar with Amebix, and have a couple albums by Discharge. I just got an album by GiSM, Anti-Cimex and Skitsystem. Anyone know about this stuff? This poo poo is amazing. Also if there's any good like punk/crust/black metal crossovers like new Darkthrone. Thanks.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

Holy Dread! posted:

Converge
Botch (We Are the Romans), Coalesce, The Dillinger Escape Plan (iwrestledabearonce opened for them on their latest tour)

Holy Dread! posted:

Baroness
Kylesa (Static Tensions), Torche

I need some more jazz, specifically stuff like:
Charles Mingus, esp. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Miles Davis, esp. Bitches Brew and the Jack Johnson album
John Coltrane

But especially Mingus. I love me some Mingus.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

dgt posted:

punk/crust/black metal crossovers

Ildjarn
Bone Awl
Malevilance
Devils Dung
Sump
Ash Pool

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

beard trends posted:

I need some more jazz, specifically stuff like:
Charles Mingus, esp. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Miles Davis, esp. Bitches Brew and the Jack Johnson album
John Coltrane

But especially Mingus. I love me some Mingus.

Check out Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Anthony Braxton, Sun Ra, Pharoah Sanders, Eric Dolphy and the Art Ensemble of Chicago. There's a big range between "accessible and bebop-y" more like the stuff you posted and "unlistenable dissonant improvisation" when it comes to free jazz though, so maybe someone who knows more about it can recommend a few albums in particular. I remember there being a really good jazz thread in EW where people discussed this period a lot so I'd try and find that, i think it was just called "this forum needs a jazz thread" or something like that.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 17, 2010

change my name to
Jun 12, 2010

by Fistgrrl
This is a bit vague but I've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan lately and I want more of the same style(hippie-ish music?) any recommendations?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Could someone make some classical guitar music? Actually, any sort of classical music recommendation would be nice.

I like Bach, Barrios, and some artists I couldn't name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Terrorist Kerchief posted:

This is a bit vague but I've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan lately and I want more of the same style(hippie-ish music?) any recommendations?

Well what about Dylan do you like? The man has done a lot of very different things. What albums/songs pop out at you?