Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I've diluted the first layer before and have had that peeling thing happen to me. WTF? I only did it as a change of pace cause everyone was doing it. So yeah, what's with everyone diluting their PVA at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Mine gets diluted a little bit, just because I use a wet brush to spread it on the base.

All I usually do is put glue directly on the base, brush it around, cover with sand, and then when it's dry soak it in Devlan Mud and drybrush bleached bone.

I mostly leave my space barbies sitting on my desk, which is probably how I can get away with not fixing the sand on there better, but it works for me.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I suppose I dilute it a little because I wash my brush between bases.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Going to throw in another "used to dilute and the pva peeled, don't do it"

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I had glue-peeling issues when I tried using white glue, but since I started using tacky craft glue it hasn't been an issue. I have just been doing the blue/sand/diluted glue method.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

First question; why are you priming white? Out of the colors you've chosen, only the yellow is going to have problems going over black, and the dark undercoat will be more forgiving of mistakes when you're just starting out.

The texture on your prime coat.. I don't know, it could be that the can isn't shaken enough? I've never seen a coat like that.

bhsman mentioned black Gesso, give that a go - it's a bit crappy on the larger surfaces, but any bare patches can be touched up with a bit of black paint once it's dry.

Here's how I'd paint your scheme (the colors of which are pretty cool by the way, it's certainly not over the top);

- Black undercoat
- Paint armor with Chainmail, leaving black in the deep recesses/gaps between plates
- Badab Black Ink wash
- Highlight armor liberally with Chainmail, then Mithril Silver
- Edge highlight with Mithril Silver + white
- Shoulderpads with whatever purple you used. Highlight with a little ice-blue mixed in.
- Base coat of Iyaden Darksun on the yellow trim, then a few coats of.. Sunburst Yellow? Vomit Brown would also work as a base coat, it goes on quite well over black.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Picked up some black gesso yesterday at Michael's. Should I thin it down before using it or is it fine at full thickness?

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

So I finished my inquisitor. Its nicer than the pictures suggest. I wish I could take better pictures. :saddowns:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Inquisitor Female Cloud of the Ordo Hereticus

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
I finally got my first Grey Hunter painted! Other than a few HQ units I've hardly painted a drat thing in my army because I suck as batch painting.
C&C before I go and paint 199 more of these buggers in the same way?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

ubermarcus posted:

I finally got my first Grey Hunter painted! Other than a few HQ units I've hardly painted a drat thing in my army because I suck as batch painting.

Looks like he's more hammered than I am.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ubermarcus posted:

SOMEONE SPIT IN MY BEEEEEER :cry:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Dale-Taco posted:

So I finished my inquisitor. Its nicer than the pictures suggest. I wish I could take better pictures. :saddowns:

What model and/or parts is this made out of? Looks pretty bad-rear end as an inquisitor and/or sister of battle.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Everything except the bolter, base, and backpack is a Warmachine piece (Cygnar Warcaster Kara Sloan).

e: and the little skullcross bit, not sure where that's from, I'm not really up on my GW character bling.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ubermarcus posted:

Paintjob looks awesome, though the proportions of that mug make it look more like he's reaching for a pinch of sugar :chef:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
:siren:Add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid to some PVA glue and gently stir through. This breaks the surface tension of the glue, making it easier to spread around. It might also help with your peeling problem.:siren:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dale-Taco posted:

Bitchin'.

ubermarcus posted:

They all must have mugs. Not necessarily in-hand, but somewhere on their person in case of emergency.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

stabbington posted:

Everything except the bolter, base, and backpack is a Warmachine piece (Cygnar Warcaster Kara Sloan).

e: and the little skullcross bit, not sure where that's from, I'm not really up on my GW character bling.
More or less this. the bolter is a bolter-stake crossbow cut off of an inquisitor mini and the skull thing is a fiddly-bit I had from a space marine command squad.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Arquinsiel posted:

They all must have mugs.

Steins! :eng101:

So I needed to paint a boring rear end tactical squad for this weekend instead of oathing a FA choice this month (I may still oath a speeder real quick). I also have a Librarian. He'll be done tomorrow with pictures to come.

I experimented with the Sgt's base a little... I think it came out ok :ohdear:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Picked up some Vallejo crackle mix and glaze medium. My soul grinder is gonna look piiiiimp

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I hate how crisp and clean your salamders are, Necron. :mad:

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

I am pretty sure it is just how fine it is. A lot of the top painters around (Sebastian Archer et al) like to use regular miliput mixed with water and painted on to fill the imperfection in a model and then sand it back so it is smooth.

Fake edit. I just googled milliput and there are different colours for different uses. I have only hear about grey/yellow and superfine white being used for modelling. Stick to them I would say.

Is there any particular thing you are wanting to do with it?

Not particularly; maybe weapons and stones and such.
Basically I just wanted something like Green Stuff but more sort of rigid, that holds an edge better.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

I hate how crisp and clean your salamders are, Necron. :mad:

Hey man, you can achieve what I achieve if you don't mind taking five years to paint a couple dudes.

You're sala-mans got some bling to them too, don't count yourself short. :respek:

You know you want to paint that fire though. doooo iiiit.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Not particularly; maybe weapons and stones and such.
Basically I just wanted something like Green Stuff but more sort of rigid, that holds an edge better.

You want Brown Stuff.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
e: never mind I'm an idiot

FROOOOOOOOG fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 18, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I asked the same question about Milliput ages ago & got like 1 answer, loving favouritism. :(

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Cakefool posted:

I asked the same question about Milliput ages ago & got like 1 answer, loving favouritism. :(

I've never used Milliput personally man. :( I'm sorry.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Silhouette posted:

It's looking pretty good so far, I just have a few nitpicks.

1. The skull on the nose isn't very Orky, it needs one of the angry eyebrows removed and a grim lower jaw attached

2. RIVETS RIVETS RIVETS

that's about it, it's great otherwise

Added a bunch of rivets, since I took the pic. And I'll probably have to add a bunch more. As for the skull, I'm pretty happy with how it is at the moment. I've considered a lower jaw, but I'm afraid it'll take up too much space on the front, but I'm still messing around with some ideas.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Cross posting from the Historical Miniatures thread. French Dragoons, Perry plastics. One unit of the 5 I need for my Lasalle army for a tournament in August.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

crime fighting hog posted:

Picked up some Vallejo crackle mix and glaze medium. My soul grinder is gonna look piiiiimp

Extremely excited to see how crackle works on the flat surfaces of a soulgrinder. What color scheme are you thinking? Don't forget to test it out!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Bobx66 posted:

Extremely excited to see how crackle works on the flat surfaces of a soulgrinder. What color scheme are you thinking? Don't forget to test it out!

Seconding all parts of this post. Additionaly, I vote for an "old ceramic fuse" scheme. With dark rusty metal bits.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cakefool posted:

An answer from a nobody, that didn't merit a reply.

:argh:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

Seconding all parts of this post. Additionaly, I vote for an "old ceramic fuse" scheme. With dark rusty metal bits.

ceramic fuse? google gives me tubes. What do you mean?

I plan on doing the undercoat lime green and then purple armor plates, so it'll crackle with green coming out, but that may not look too sharp. So I dunno yet really. I'll snap some photos to show where I am because I don't know what I'm doing with the big metal legs yet. I wanted to do them rust but it looks lovely (literally).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Winged Orpheus posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Picked up some black gesso yesterday at Michael's. Should I thin it down before using it or is it fine at full thickness?

I usually add a tiny drop of water, though to be honest you don't need to. Goes on slightly better with a damp brush I guess? So the short answer is; no. It'll shrink into the cracks as it dries.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vondizimo posted:

An answer from a nobody, that didn't merit a reply.

:argh:

If it's any consolation I bought the white on your advice :shobon:

Expensive poo poo though, I realised afterwards I'd have been better off buying the Sculpty stuff.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Soul Grinder time!

I'm not posting the sword close up as a "LOOK AT THE DETAIL" but to ask if it looks alright.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_A5atwrrOFDY/TBufAbDJfII/AAAAAAAAI5E/xaa-CCS09xk/s800/DSC_0016.JPG

I really didn't get the rust to show in the claw arm above, but it's really brown. I may sponge some chainmail on it but I'm not sure if that's how I want to go with all the legs.

Here's a test of the legs. It's more brown in person, with the flash it looks orange and much better, so I'll stipple some orange on it later if I can. I just don't know if I like the overall effect and if it ties into the rest of my paint scheme.

Should I go with it?

Oh and here's a trygon for MY WIFE'S army

I have a lot of edging to do on the armor plates, but it's very crazy to paint so far. ROYGBIV is making me blind.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My only suggestion for the soul grinder is to weather or shade the purple more, its a bit flat. Otherwise its money as gently caress, really nice stuff. The metals are sexy

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

My only suggestion for the soul grinder is to weather or shade the purple more, its a bit flat. Otherwise its money as gently caress, really nice stuff. The metals are sexy

That's what I'm gonna do with the crackle on the purple. Any suggestions for the under color that the crackle will show?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Oh and here's a trygon for MY WIFE'S army

I have a lot of edging to do on the armor plates, but it's very crazy to paint so far. ROYGBIV is making me blind.

There needs to be a :barf: emote that vomits rainbows

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I suddenly have a skittles craving... :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

If I ever get a Lictor, this is definitely how I'm going to represent Chameleonic Skin.

• Locked thread