Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Froodulous posted:

I've been interested in getting a longboard for cruising around town and getting to and from the station for a while now. Unfortunately I have no idea about longboards. I used to skate a bit, but on what I would call a "normal" skateboard.

I'm in the UK and looking at Octane Sport.

http://www.octanesport.co.uk/shop/index.php/kids/mindless-raider-ml2000-complete-longboard.html

Would this setup be a good first buy?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104299&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=25#post377814689

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Froodulous posted:

I've been interested in getting a longboard for cruising around town and getting to and from the station for a while now. Unfortunately I have no idea about longboards. I used to skate a bit, but on what I would call a "normal" skateboard.

I'm in the UK and looking at Octane Sport.

http://www.octanesport.co.uk/shop/index.php/kids/mindless-raider-ml2000-complete-longboard.html

Would this setup be a good first buy?

It doesn't look terrible, so it could be a decent starting board, and Octane does generally have good stuff from what I can tell. If you're trying to keep it (veeery) cheap, go for it, but you'd definitely be better off spending more

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
I bought a set of Bones medium bushings and a set of 53mm wheels today from Skatebiz in Brisbane. I can't believe the difference the wheels make on the road. Thanks whoever reccomended the bushings a few pages back, I don't know what I did without them.

EDIT: Stupid me, I meant 56mm.

Lurch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 15, 2010

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
The other thing I was thinking was to replace the bearings in that board with the Swiss Bones Super that I've got in my old board. What do you think? Basically, my main concern is ease of riding. I don't want to be hitting every stone on the road and flying off. I guess I want large wheels for that.

And what's this I hear about bushings?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Wheels make a much bigger difference than bearings in most cases. I've gone 40 on bearings that cost as much as a value meal at McDonalds. Get some decent wheels, bearing spacers and speed rings and you'll see a bigger difference than cheap wheels and good bearings. Cheaper bearings might not last as long, but wheels are usually your bottleneck.

E: If you already have them, go for it but you won't notice much of a difference until you upgrade wheels.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 13, 2010

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
I bought a set of Sector 9 cosmics bearings from my friend who runs a longboard shop, they run awesome, I thought I had ruined them though but it was just my silly rear end who had damaged the shields when I pushed them in and out of different wheels to try them out so when i removed the shields on both sides they run INSANELY good now...

so thats a tip if you have problems with pretty new bearings :)

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yeah, damage shields are no good. It looks like those bearings might be pretty good, my only experience with S9 bearings are Greaseballs, and they wear really fast.

If you have speed rings and bearing spacers, make sure your axle nuts are nice and tight. If you pull your wheels off a lot, replace the nuts if you can thread them past the nylon by hand. The threads cut into the nylon and that locks the nuts in place, so if it wears out they'll be able to vibrate and/or spin loose. Tight axles make very little noise and your bearings will work more efficiently and last longer.

I.T Zander
Aug 27, 2008

by angerbot
https://www.gfhboards.com

Back in high school, I bought the Mission "42" pin tail. Shortly after, my friends and I stumbled across the "street team" page. I'm pretty sure its a scam for GFH to get free pictures, and videos for promotion, but they gave us a 40% discount on all our purchases. Whoever sold five boards, got a free board. I got about six of my friends to buy the boards, and got them the 40% discount. I tried to get my free board, but the sales rep spouted some bull poo poo about upping it to 10 boards.

Honestly, I have no idea if they are full of poo poo about that "street team" but they gave us awesome deals on boards I'd rank 5/5 for both quality and price. All of the boards are very good, and functional. They don't have any ultra-flexy boards. If you want a canoe that drags down to the pavement, go to sector-9. They are like the ghetto Honda Civic of skate boards.

Maybe they did screw me out of a spare board, but I've called them up a number of times when my wheels got ground down from sliding, or my bushings were dull, and they've always sent me new ones for free. They always throw about a billion awesome stickers in the box too. A friend of mine ordered a longboard, and they sent him a short board for free, just for the hell of it. (Wait what!? That was supposed to be mine!)

So gently caress you GFH for screwing me over! But thanks so much for all the free shirts, stickers, wheels, and parts. Also, thanks for hooking my friend up with a short board. Also I'm sorry for taking big time advantage of that 40% discount.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Oh man I was out cruising with my little girl (she on her bike) and I 'found' a little skate park here in Santa Clara. So I signed their little liability form and rode my longboard around a little bit. Terrified the piss out of me! I'll be going back later today with my short deck. :)

There were some pretty badass little kids there though, nailing some pretty high ledge jumps and stalls and poo poo, pretty impressive...

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Those big green Stu Graham spits I got earlier in the thread are way too hard for general street skating round here. Those things are even solid at the park, they must be for skating glass or something.
I've been back skating a set of Spitfire Fireriderz which they've not even made for about 100 years... until now (dun dun dun)

New set of Cheapshots. 99 duro compared to the 101 on the Stu's. I'll no longer sound like an escaping shopping trolley or have to duct tape my trousers in place.

What is it with wheel companies nowadays not telling you how hard their bloody wheel is? I don't care about your F1 dual duro park formula, a hard, medium or soft would be more helpful you bastards.

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 14, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
just got my nike 6.0s, me likey

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I think I finally found the perfect board to ride my Indys on:

I've finally found a board I KNOW I'll be comfy on that should have enough wheel clearance to run Indys without riser. Then I'll throw my Randals on my Fullbag Elise and have two setups I can REALLY love, rather than having a compromise in some form. STOKED.
Took my Elise to a nice local hill yesterday: Half mile long, 20-35mph depending how you skate it. Pavement is pretty slippery so I was just sliding down the whole way, and learned to pendy toeside AND heelside in two runs. I am so amazingly stoked, I just wanna skate more. There was a family having a picnic of sorts on their front lawn on the road, and I threw a toeside pendy in front of them without knowing they were there. Nothing like nailing your first toeside pendy with a bunch of random people cheering you on =D

In street skating news, I found someone with some old trucks I can have, and am likely getting a used deck this weekend for free. Its gonna be fun trying to learn to do fliptricks and stuff more

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
It's awesome to see so many people stoked on riding in this thread.

I've been in South Carolina for the past week and a half and it has been blazing hot, too much so for me to really enjoy riding.

I'll be back home in Cali in a few days though, can't wait to get back into my regular routine. God damned I'm weather spoiled.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
What size wheel are you gonna put on that thing? It's gonna be low.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DELETED posted:

What size wheel are you gonna put on that thing? It's gonna be low.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, what size indy's you putting on it, and why not use the Randals?

Speaking of setups, I tried a pump setup on my very flat longboard (not even sure who it's made by) and it just didn't work good enough for my liking. The nose is too skinny to get a good stance over the front truck.

I think if I was to get more into pumping I'd get a board made for it with a wide concave nose, but I'm just not that into it. I think I'm gonna get a Kahuna big stick, looks like more fun than pumping.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm gonna set it up with Indy 215's and Venom Sidewinder wheels. I want it to be low. I've been planning a lower setup for awhile, but I don't like drop-thrus, so I've been looking for something I can slap my Indys on without risers, and I've found it. Its going to be my soft-wheel sliding/freeride board. I love the feel of Indys but I hate having to use a ton of riser to mount them on most boards

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
http://vimeo.com/12576539

This is a pretty bomb trailer. That bs nose at 2:30 is ridiculous.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Bucket Joneses posted:

Pfft, just a bs nose? How impressive could it...

Woah.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Got me some new trucks today, some hollow Thunder 147s. Oh man, I didn't realise just how terrible my terrible walmart brand trucks were. The difference in skating is night and loving day :swoon:

Bucket Joneses posted:

gently caress I love long-rear end slides.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Whalley posted:

gently caress I love long rear end-slides.

Fixed that for you. :)

That trailer was fun to watch. Adio always seem to find the most grimy, industrial spots and then tear them apart. For me it represents everyday skating a little more than blasting the high school bleachers and hand rails.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I'm glad that more companies are shooting more HD video rather than standard def. Nike SB's Debacle was a pretty good taste of what an all HD feature length would look like, it's a shame that most of Fully Flared wasn't on HD.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Pretty much everyone is/has moved to HD. The reason Fully Flared wasn't is because they had some many people contributing footage over such a long period of time. It seems like most people are using the HVX200 but I swear I read a few 3D movies are in the works. I know panasonic has a new HD Rig that is a single enclosure unit. I saw some guys shooting with it in Santa Monica last week but that thing is something like 20,000 per unit.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Krook3d, so psyched.

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
I hate that the smallest of pebbbles can send you flying off your board. In other news, I can ollie better and do pop shove its now. So much fun.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
11 days 'til I get the cast off.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Riven posted:

11 days 'til I get the cast off.

Some dude breezed past me today after work on his skateboard with a full arm cast on.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax

Spermatic Cord posted:

I hate that the smallest of pebbbles can send you flying off your board. In other news, I can ollie better and do pop shove its now. So much fun.

Try running some bigger wheels. I changed mine and now pebbles are not less of a problem.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Lurch posted:

Try running some bigger wheels. I changed mine and now pebbles are not less of a problem.

Softer wheels help too. These are a newer version of Bones Softcores, which is what I'm rolling on at the moment. They have a secret upside too: everything gets so loving quiet. Just don't go skating bowls, because you kind of need the wheels to slide around a bit more there.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Whalley posted:

Some dude breezed past me today after work on his skateboard with a full arm cast on.

Unfortunately, mine goes from my toes to just below my knee. I wish I'd broken my arm or wrist.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Riven posted:

Unfortunately, mine goes from my toes to just below my knee. I wish I'd broken my arm or wrist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBm2oNcdG1o

Make it really real :v:

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
I'm moving to a new place that is a short walk from the West Orange Trail, and I was thinking about getting a longboard to fart around on. The problem is I really have no idea what to get, especially with regards to sizing. I'm 6'3" and 230lbs, and I'm only going to get heavier (hooray powerlifting). Can somebody lend a hand?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Gonna be a broken record and recommend https://www.krackedskulls.com. They're kind of flexy but if you email William he'll probably set you up with a deck that has extra plies for more strength.

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Kickers are fun :) although need to get that board tighter to my feet.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Breezeblocks, pallets, gnarly wasteground and a blue sky. That's some skating nectar right there. Love it.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Happy Go Skateboarding day. I tore it up all day and am now pinker than a lobster thanks to the relentless sunshine.

I'm digging that picture. We need to get more in this thread. :)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Obscuritatem posted:

Breezeblocks, pallets, gnarly wasteground and a blue sky. That's some skating nectar right there. Love it.

I heard someone say something like this in some thing that I watched: Skateboarders are the are the artist of the industrial landscape. They use the purpose built and the forgotten pieces of this landscape to create art.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/five-sequences/06-18-2010/

woop woop Adrian Williams repping AK for life.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Happy go skateboarding day! Longboarders are allowed to celebrate too right :shobon:

I cruised around the city and hit up a few garages by myself hoping to catch a few other riders but I say nobody! Oh well, maybe next time. I had a blast on my own catching all the evening sun. Some nights are made for cruising.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
That gap to 50-50 is rad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sirkus posted:

That gap to 50-50 is rad!

Yeah it's ridiculous because if you miss that trick you really loving miss it. Like you slam your head against the garage door or smack your shins on the ledge.